Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

Hi all- I've been playing Fahey style fingerpicking for 5-6 years now. Over the past year or so my precision has been diminishing and it's been very frustrating.

The degradation seems be focused on my index finger specifically. I watch old videos of myself and I notice I was able to keep that finger a lot more rigid but still have a fairly light/quick attack. Nowadays I have a tendency to 'curl' it inward towards my palm and I feel like I'm tensing up or something. At times it even makes regular contact with my thumb, which never used to happen.

I've been trying to fix by practicing basic patterns along with a metronome but I've now developed slight tenderness in the knuckle in the index finger. I'm guessing I was (or still am) orienting my hand in the wrong way for a long time and it's catching up to me with that finger specifically.

Taking the fingerpicks off helps a great deal actually, but I really prefer the attack/speed/volume with them. I've also adjusted the angle with a plier to provide for a better attack. Other than these remedies I'm not sure what to do.

around 1:10 here and at 4:40 on this video from a few years ago you can see how i just have more poise and accuracy on that kind of basic fast travis pattern and my index finger stays relatively stationary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pXMWdH-nMY

around 2 min here on a newer video of the same song you can see the 'curling' going on on my index finger
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1mCyLh2tgI

Anybody else experienced a diminishing technique, (fingerpicker or otherwise), and had to remedy? What approaches did you find helpful? Do you notice something I could improve, or am I overlooking something entirely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ricecult
Oct 2, 2012

Good playing! Big fan of Fahey, that's cool that you picked him up.

As for advice, it's hard to say exactly, but I think the best thing to rule out any time there is an issue of technique is to think about how you are sitting/holding the guitar. I find a lot of times that I struggle to play something or play it well, adjusting my position either fixes the problem or helps to bring to light what the problem actually is. From your videos, nothing jumped out at me as looking problematic or all that different (other than the index finger), but it's hard to tell from the different angles of the videos.

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin
If your ever spent serious time picking a banjo, fingering a guitar become intuitive. (Merle) Travis picking does the job.

das crikstar
Dec 11, 2015

a glitzy recycle bin
sounds good except for the picks. nice 3 finger rolls. but the picks gotta go man, too bright. dont overthink and keep syncopated, thats all.

global tetrahedron
Jun 24, 2009

I've switched to acrylic nails, seems to cover the difference between metal and bare finger.

I'm also 90% sure I've got focal dystonia, which ends music careers and hobbies so :(

I've been playing too loudly and too fast for too long and basically gave myself a repetitive motion injury

• Locked thread