Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
The a/c in my wife's car (2014 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5L V6) quit working and I'm trying to troubleshoot it. Here's what I have so far:

Basic symptoms were the A/C clutch never engages whether hot or cold. My first instinct was that the freon had all leaked out, so I was going to pull a vacuum, re-charge it with dyed freon, and look for a leak when it quit again. However once I hooked up the manifold gauges I found I had decent pressure on both the high and low side.

So for some other reason the a/c clutch doesn't appear to be engaging. There's no weird (e.g. bad bearings, etc) sounds coming from the compressor or anywhere else, there's no "click" when the clutch is supposed to engage, nothing. I can't find via google or manuals anything on what could be keeping the clutch from engaging. There isn't exactly a huge knowledge base online that I can find for what amounts to a grocery getter. Also, thanks Nissan for burying this stupid thing behind a tire.

Anyway, does anyone have any pointers on where or what to check next? I'm pretty competent mechanically and with A/C stuff (fixed the A/C a couple times on my XJ). Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
Need to use a test light or volt meter to see if the compressor clutch is even getting any power from the fuse and relay and that the ground is good. If it is, then it's the clutch. If it's not you could have a bad pressure sensor or some wiring problem.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Joe Mama posted:

Need to use a test light or volt meter to see if the compressor clutch is even getting any power from the fuse and relay and that the ground is good. If it is, then it's the clutch. If it's not you could have a bad pressure sensor or some wiring problem.

I unplugged the clutch and took both a test light and a voltmeter and it's not getting power. I physically can't get a 12v source to the clutch with my giant hands so I can't really test the clutch but it's likely not the culprit.

I'm digging through a electrical diagram trying to figure out which relays or fuses might be involved but if it gets beyond that level then it's off to the shop :(

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Paging Motronic

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

I ended up taking it to the shop and they've troubleshot it as far as they can but are down to thinking it's the IPDM which, fortunately, costs a fortune! The shop I took it to just doesn't have the tools to troubleshoot that and said I'll probably end up at Nissan.

Dammit.

• Locked thread