Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fluffykittys
Aug 22, 2016

I can't hear you over the sound of me licking my own anus.
Looking for Popcorn advice and opinions.

Has anyone made their own popcorn from plant?

What are options for oils for cooking popcorn, and what's the difference?

Thoughts and opinions about different artisan types of corn. Maybe starting with, what's the difference between Pop Secret and the $10 a bag stuff you buy at Whole Foods?

But while we're at it, what are your favorite popcorn seasonings? I like melted butter, sage, rosemary, salt and black pepper the best, but it does seem a little plain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I like za'atar and olive oil popcorn, lime and chili popcorn, and nutritional yeast popcorn.

emotive
Dec 26, 2006

Place kernels in paper bag. Microwave until the popping stops.

Nutritional yeast is fantastic as ^ said. Schichimi togarashi is also awesome, as is cinnamon and sugar.

Hutla
Jun 5, 2004

It's mechanical
Butter and Old Bay on popcorn was a revelation that I learned from this very forum.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

corn is a fuckin grain dude.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I buy popcorn kernels at Dollar Tree.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Furikake is a great popcorn topping.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

emotive posted:

I need to actually buy some paper bags and try doing this instead of making mine in oil on the stovetop every time. Guessing it's a hell of a lot healthier that way too.

I really enjoy this buffalo wing popcorn, it's baked and it lasted a real long time if you jar it, so great for making ahead of time.

Chili and Lime sounds awesome, I've been meaning to try a Thai red curry with lime at some point too.

Anyone got any good cheesy popcorn suggestions?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Anyone got any good cheesy popcorn suggestions?
Nutritional yeast tastes pretty cheesy with the added benefit of not having to figure out how to get legitimate cheese onto popcorn.

fluffykittys
Aug 22, 2016

emotive posted:

Nutritional yeast is fantastic as ^ said. Schichimi togarashi is also awesome, as is cinnamon and sugar.

I agree with the yeast.

Still, I prefer to heat my popcorn in oil because I think it gives it more flavor. I usually use corn or vegetable oil, since you can get it really hot. But a friend tells me olive oil tastes better. I haven't tried it yet, because I'm afraid of overheating the oil.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Clarified butter yo

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
A few years ago, I discovered putting cinnamon sugar onto popcorn, like you would on toast. Works really well if you have a salty bowl on on side and the sweet bowl on the other.

My fiance hats it, though.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians
Olive oil turns out pretty nicely, peanut oil's my poo poo.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Coconut oil and flavacol.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Croatoan posted:

Coconut oil and flavacol.

This, so much this, but be loving careful flavacol is so fine grained it really should only be measured/scooped.
I have it in a popcorn shaker and instantly over salted a bowl by mistake.

door Door door
Feb 26, 2006

Fugee Face

Bacon fat, black pepper, and thyme.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Chaat masala. Smoked paprika and salt. Butter and marmite.

I'm interested in how to pull off lime and chili, but I feel like I could use some chili powder and amchoor and get 80% of the way there with 30% of the effort.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I use lime zest and chili powder. Also I sometimes fry up dry chilis in the oil before cooking the popcorn in it. Then you can dice the fried chilis up and add them at the end.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

I use coconut oil in a cheap saucier pan. Mostly regular salt/pepper, though I've got some spicy salts or some cinnamon sugar that I sometimes mix it up with instead.

I'm sure most here know the technique but for anyone unfamiliar:

• Put a few tbsp of oil in pan along with 3 popcorn kernels, over high heat.
  • I measure out like 1/4 cup kernels on the side for two people but 1/3 cup works if you want more.
  • Once your initial kernels pop then you know your oil is at proper temp. Remove pan from heat and dump in the rest of your popcorn. Add salt. Cover with lid and shake for 30 seconds.
  • Put pot back on heat. Crack the lid partially so that some steam can get out and continue shaking. After a few seconds all of the kernels will pop at nearly the same time. Remove from heat once there's a second or two in between pops.
  • Popcorn!

Teeter fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Mar 22, 2017

fluffykittys
Aug 22, 2016

Nur_Neerg posted:

Olive oil turns out pretty nicely, peanut oil's my poo poo.

So you have experience with olive oil? Do I need to worry about the temperature? Or am I just being paranoid, and can heat it at the same temp as normal?

fluffykittys
Aug 22, 2016

Lime and Chili sounds like an awesome idea!!! Why hadn't I thought of that before?

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
i use an air popper, those are pretty cool

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

John Romero posted:

i use an air popper, those are pretty cool

I grew up on air-popped popcorn but after cooking on a stovetop, I can't go back -- just tastes like styrofoam.

Nur_Neerg
Sep 1, 2004

The Lumbering but Unstoppable Sasquatch of the Appalachians

fluffykittys posted:

So you have experience with olive oil? Do I need to worry about the temperature? Or am I just being paranoid, and can heat it at the same temp as normal?

I normally do olive oil at between medium and medium high, same as peanut oil. Put a couple kernels and the oil in my dutch oven cold, put the rest in as soon as the test pieces pop, get it off the heat soon as it slows down, you're golden. I feel like it just has tighter tolerance/less margin for error than peanut oil more than anything else.

Gameko
Feb 23, 2006

The friend of all children!

Oh man...popcorn. My favorite snack.

I'm a big proponent of popping on a stovetop or even on a bed of coals. I've never tried popping my own stuff in a microwave brown bag, but maybe I should? Seems convenient.

For cheesy popcorn you really need a cheese powder. You can steal kraft packets from mac and cheese boxes, but i recommend investing in a bag of stuff from amazon.

I think clarified butter is the way to go for popping and coating after the pop. Clarified is the key because you need to get out all the water which will wilt your poocorn. This is expensive to buy but easy to make...pop a stick of butter into a small sauce pan and cook over medium or medium high heat. Lots of bubbley foam will form on the surface which you skim off with a spoon. You'll be left with very few bubbles and a nice pool of butter fat. You can filter through a cheese cloth, but I usually just pour it off and store it in the fridge. Microwave gently to melt for use.

To pop, I do three tablespoons of oil and a quarter cup of popcorn in a largeish pot. Add the three test kernels, cover, and heat. When the test kernels pop, add in all the popcorn and agitate gently to get even kernel heat distribution. Once they start start popping en masse, cack the lid to let out steam.

To cheese up your pop, quickly transfer kernels to a large bowl and add a little more butter oil to help the powder stick. You can go lightly or get a little crazy if you want a movie theater butter experience. The key is to sprinkle oil lightly and work the popcorn around with your hand to coat, keeping it even.

Once oil has been applied to taste, (you might not add any if that's your bag...there's some on the corn from the popping process) it's time to powder them up. You need to sprinkle the powder a bit at a time and stir frequently for a nice, even coat.

You'll do fine just adding the cheese powder but after you've made this a few times you can consider changing up the cheese by adding things like chilli powder, mustard powder, or even just salt. Also, you can pop with less oil but I think the ratio above gives a nice compromise between flavor and not getting too crazy with the fat. Finally, you could add cheese powder during the pop but I've never actually attempted this as I don't want to burn the powder and I imagine I'll need extra fat to keep a nice even heat on the kernels. The final product would probably be evenly coated and fatty awesome though.

It's really nice to prepare this then do a sweet pop separately, thendo a sweet pop separately, mixing the two for a final presentation. Kettle corn and caramel corn both work well. Carmel is probably better but kettle is a helluva lot easier.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

I buy a big bag of caramel and jalapeņo cheddar popcorn mix from a local candy store. Gets me where I need to go.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Cook it in coconut oil, then hit it with a quick shot of nonstick spray to get the seasoning to stick, toss with brewers yeast and buttermilk powder, maybe cheddar cheese powder if I'm feeling elegant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Caramel corn is the best corn.

• Locked thread