Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Atelier Firis is an airheaded girl's adventure with her clingy sister to prove to her parents that she's got what it takes to survive in the real world. Firis is the 18th game in the Atelier series from Gust, and the conceit this time is that you've got one in game year to travel across the globe and become a certified alchemist. There's a day/night system that effects what you can gather and some NPCs have schedules that determine where they'll be during the day.

These are your two main party members, Firis and Liane. Firis is the younger sister and has literally never left their hometown before, Liane is a reliable older sister but is weirdly clingy and basically every person they meet comments on it.

Synthesis is kind of a grab bag from Sophie's system. They retained the Tetris-y aspect where you fit together ingredients on a board, but being able to rotate and flip ingredients is tied to the recipe level instead of the cauldron that you're using (cauldrons are gone by the way and have been replaced by catalysts). Recipes level up as you make either that specific item, or items related to it leading to a level up loop that mostly works but feels like the recipes get to good levels just as you're phasing that item out in favor of it's upgraded level. Catalysts are items that you gather or create that determine the board size and lines you'll be using. Lines are mini objectives during the alchemy process that give you bonuses if you can completely cover them or use the right colors.

Books are no longer how you discover most recipes. You now have one big recipe idea book where things like gathering materials or killing monsters gives Firis alchemy recipes. The book updates as you go and usually starts with a vague hint about what you have to do to unlock the recipe. You can also skip all that if you feel like by either buying a book to just give you a recipe straight up, or using idea points that you get from quests to unlock the recipe from your idea book.

Battles have a new kinda weird chain system where you fill up the gauge on the left as you deal damage, and once it's full consecutive actions by characters form a "chain" causing every action to deal more damage/become more effective and maybe you get a super move at the end. I've played for about 10 hours and still haven't had a battle last long enough/had enough living party members to pull off the super moves. You pick character actions as their turns come up and it's back to being one continuous cycle instead of the discrete rounds that Sophie had.

It's better than the mess that was Sophie's stance system, but still not the perfection of the switch system that E/L and Shallie went with.

Sophie and Plachta are back as mentor characters, and if you didn't play Sophie all you need to know is that Plachta used to be a book until Sophie made her not one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Sorry Erg I still don't know where the cow is.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Sorry Erg I still don't know where the cow is.

I wasted 3 days looking for that loving cow

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

If you had paid attention to the quest text you'd know that you can just ignore the cow and instead put up some hay at the broken fence.

I need to get back to this game at some point, I had just gotten to the free mode part of it before getting distracted by the barrage of games these last couple weeks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Same only I didn't get that far. I honestly don't know when I'm even going to find the time and then Persona 5 comes out in two weeks...

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
The cows in this game can't live up to the standard set by Ayesha anyway. .. I think the post-exam content I have left will be nice wind-down to transition from N:A to P5 for me.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
This looks fun and cute, but I should play the Ateliers I already have on my pstv before I buy it. Probably.

Good luck with your cow troubles, Erg.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
I arrived at Reisenberg with 200 days left on the clock, and then immediately turned around and left under the assumption that I wouldn't be able to do the final thing at level 20. How much do I actually need to prepare for it?

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

FractalSandwich posted:

I arrived at Reisenberg with 200 days left on the clock, and then immediately turned around and left under the assumption that I wouldn't be able to do the final thing at level 20. How much do I actually need to prepare for it?

I saw a post earlier that someone got to the final town with 80 days left and still had plenty of time to finish so go wild and just backtrack to see what you missed on your way there. I know it's not exactly what you were asking but it's all I've got lol

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

also i just want to say my favorite part of the game so far has been getting bored of talking to escha and then getting lost after what i thought would be a short trip through the silent labyrinth and realizing that the two maps i skipped earlier were really huge

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Erg posted:

I saw a post earlier that someone got to the final town with 80 days left and still had plenty of time to finish so go wild and just backtrack to see what you missed on your way there. I know it's not exactly what you were asking but it's all I've got lol
Good enough. If there's no real reason to finish as early as possible, I might as well pretend it's XCOM 2 and hold off until the last minute.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

aced it

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
It's almost 2 AM and I've spent the last hour and a half getting increasingly cross with cauldron tetris because it won't let me make the perfect staff for my favourite cutesy little wizard girl. loving kill me.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Suffice to say they're a tad late, but KT's putting out the free DLC for Sophie that bridges a bit with this.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How do I get it to activate?

E: The developers don't even know.

https://twitter.com/KoeiTecmoUS/status/847582820260225024

Dehry fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Mar 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Game just got an update, any idea if it fixed the, uh, variable frame rate?

• Locked thread