Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Foxhole is a Persistent Massively Multiplayer WW2-like Classless Isometric Logistics Simulator/Shooter RTS.

That's a lot of words that I think accurately describe the game, but this is a really fun game. In this game you can:

• Shell enemy encampments with crewed artillery.
  • Infiltrate an enemy base and steal a truck.
  • Participate in a pitched battle with 50 other players, using rifles, SMGs, pistols, and other weapons.

Pretty standard stuff so far, right? So what makes this game so special? Well, it's the addition of two specific pieces: Logistics and integrated RTS components.

If you don't pick up a rifle and charge blindly at the enemy, you can pick up a hammer and:

1. Harvest some scrap from a battlefield.
  2. Convert this scrap to basic materials.
  3. Head towards a base under siege and construct pillboxes/walls to help bolster defenses.

This is where the team-based gameplay really shines. A winning team has people fighting, using mortars, and doing the standard soldier things too. But you'll also need a group of people harvesting materials, supplying weapons and vehicles, and maintaining base defenses. Then when things get hairy, you simply drop the hammer and pick up a rifle to charge blindly at the enemy!

Gameplay

The game is in pre-alpha currently, but there's enough meat to make a compelling game and the devs are continually adding more.

You play as a single soldier, with no stats or class. After picking a side (Wardens or Coalition, they're exactly the same aside from coloring) You simply start with very basic equipment (a pistol, two magazines full of ammo, and a hammer) and you spawn somewhere on the map. From there, you can take start contributing immediately. Grab a gun from a town hall, find where the front line is, and work with your team to secure the next town. Or equip your hammer, start harvesting scrap, and work towards crafting necessary stuff for the war effort!

Shooting is a simple affair: Hitting a number on the keyboard brings up your equipped weapon, right-clicking aims, left clicking fires.

Building is similarly simple: Equip your hammer, hit B to bring up a build menu, and start building (if you have the necessary materials in your backpack).

Controls

As I explained briefly, and you can see from that screenshot, controls are pretty basic. Your mouse aims/points you, and you interact with the environment either through E (to open menus/use buildings) or clicking.

There are some other commands, like using Q to enter a vehicle and B to open the building menu, but that's it.

Buildings and Vehicles

Aside from your little dude, you can construct things to help your team out. Generally these are defensive buildings like walls and turrets. These are built by equipping the hammer and mashing B to get the build menu. Then you can position them and rotate them as you see fit. There are a few turrets and several grades of wall you can build:

Walls:

• Fence - The first wall you build is a simple chain link fence.
  • Medium wall - When your fence is built, you can stand near it and hit E to start upgrading it to a stronger wall, made of concrete.
  • Fortress wall - The last upgrade for walls is a fortress wall, much stronger.

Defensive buildings:

• Foxhole - This will automatically fire a rifle at approaching enemies from any angle. Additionally, it can be manned by any player and provides good cover from bullets (but not explosives).
  • Pillbox - This concrete structure gives good protection from guns and explosives, as well as firing at enemies from a narrower angle.
  • Gun turret - These fire in any direction. They rotate slowly, and are useful against both infantry and approaching vehicles.
Vehicles:

• Truck - Mostly used to transport things from one base to another, indispensable in creating a supply chain.
  • Halftrack - The only truly aggressive vehicle, this is an armored truck with a Heavy Machinegun.
  • Artillery - A piece of field artillery with massive range, it needs 2 players to crew and fire. Very slow, but when used appropriately it can be devastating to defenses.
  • Motorcycle - A very fast way to get 2 people around the map, useful for recon and deep strikes into enemy territory.

Logistics

Logistics is a big part of this game. Everything a soldier will use to fight, from the clothes on his back to the bullets in his gun, has to be manufactured. The logistics chain is likely to change as the game develops, but follows a basic pattern:

1. Harvest the raw material (Either from piles of scrap or old burned-out vehicles, depending on if you need basic or advanced materials)
  2. Get to a manufacturing plant to convert the raw materials to basic/advanced materials
  3. Haul those materials to whatever plant you need to go to (Workshop for equipment, Armory for weapons/ammo, Vehicle plant for trucks, Supply Depot for soldier supplies)
  4. Put the materials in the building's inventory, then start building
  5. Take the finished goods to your town hall for stockpiling

So for a battle to occur, you'll need to make sure you've got everything in place. Basically:

• Soldier supplies to allow players to respawn with equipment.
  • Weapons to allow soldiers to equip for whatever they encounter.
  • Ammunition for those weapons.

Where can I get this? How much does this cost?

Currently, Foxhole is available on Steam. It's free! I'm not sure what the devs have planned for monetization down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, this looks pretty fun. Like a more in-depth Running With Rifles plus a persistent world portion.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

Well, this looks pretty fun. Like a more in-depth Running With Rifles plus a persistent world portion.

Yeah, it's pretty fun. The persistent world helps, you can play some minutes in the evening and construct a turret or two that might help repel an off-hours attack. The current complaint I have is that pubbies are terrible at coordinating (so I have no idea where to deliver a load of soldier supplies I've been constructing for half an hour), and gunplay is a bit squishy - it really favors automatic weapons heavily since the camera makes long-range shooting difficult.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
I might check this out, I enjoy Running With Rifles. Thanks OP

Orv
May 4, 2011
This seems neat but the total lack of coordination and the semi-rampant dickery really drag down the potential. A group of four or five coordinated goons could probably clean up a campaign in a handful of hours from what I've seen, until it gets down to a final town or something.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Orv posted:

This seems neat but the total lack of coordination and the semi-rampant dickery really drag down the potential. A group of four or five coordinated goons could probably clean up a campaign in a handful of hours from what I've seen, until it gets down to a final town or something.

Yup. It takes a few more people to blow up a town hall, but probably 6 people could clean up. 3 killing mans, 1 doing heavy weapons things (for blowing up things), 2 doing logistical things. You'd need them so you could rebuild the town hall once it's blown up.

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
Ill try it based on the effort you put into this post.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Well it's more interesting than the garbage that was running with rifles, at least. Not sure the minecraft stuff helps it though, feel like it would be far more interesting if there were resource making control zones instead of just mining forever and having any jackass waste your hard work.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
Been playing this the last week or so and having fun with it. Always been a sucker for multiplayer base-building games and this definitely scratches that itch. Think it will be a solid game once the devs flesh it out a bit with more content. Probably the worst part right now is that it's free (and low requirements) so you get a constant stream of people joining for ten minutes asking questions (or stealing vehicles) then leaving. This gets annoying after a while and tends to make the veteran players salty/less patient in dealing with newcomers.

Orv posted:

A group of four or five coordinated goons could probably clean up a campaign in a handful of hours from what I've seen, until it gets down to a final town or something.
Groups of people work together on the discord all the time. It's definitely a big advantage having a squad work together but it doesn't unbalance the game or anything. You can't really push that far or turn the tide quickly without plenty of logistics and builders.

Spyde fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Mar 22, 2017

Turd Herder
May 21, 2008

BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK BALLCOCK
What faction is everyone on. I'm locked in to Warden, which sucks because I found some really nice people on the other team in the discord.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

I'm usually playing Colonial though not for any particular reason. Seems like wardens get less new players (and thus griefers) but that could be my imagination.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I played this game, ran around with a pistol, and died a lot. A++ would play again.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

I play Warden on a couple of servers, Colonial on the rest. I ran around last night building defenses all over the place, then mortaring the poo poo out of enemy defenses. I think tonight I'm gonna try to just build up a massive amount of things to stockpile. It looks like grenades, SMGs, SMG Ammo and RPGs with RPG Ammo are good things to stockpile.

I completely agree that people stealing poo poo is bullshit, but reprimands are a thing. I use them liberally.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Alright, so had a real chance to play this tonight. Sat down and blinked, 3 hours went by. Got invited to a group pretty much right away, dudes were chill. Spent most of my time running around with Medic gear and a revolver. Towards the end I started keeping the trauma bag in my inventory and swapping to it when needed, that way I could use the rifle and stay back a bit, staying alive longer.

Definitely time consuming and could use a bit of polish, but a ton of fun so far.

Pinbacker
May 7, 2007
Game is fun as hell. Had some problems last night though with people stealing things and then I guess scrapping it to screw over the Colonials.

Getting started as a logistics guy on your own seems pretty hard, you need to fill up on refined materials and then walk your rear end across the map to the nearest vehicle factory.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

There were a ton of griefers last night, at least when I was on, it's not usually that bad. I've seen that happen a couple nights before, I'm guessing someone starts a thread on 4chan or something and a steady stream of idiots pile in.

Once you get the hang of it you can make a truck in about 15 minutes pretty easily. As colonial on the main map, just head to Sun (main base), farm ~150 scrap, process it there, then walk to salt farms (the slow part) and build it. Takes like 5min to walk there encumbered but I just do this when I first sign on and am usually listening to music/podcasts anyways.

People made motorcycles for a few days after they were introduced but I hardly see them now. There's just no reason to use them over a truck currently... hopefully they get a buff or the ability to shoot main guns out of the sidecar.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

Spyde posted:

There were a ton of griefers last night, at least when I was on, it's not usually that bad. I've seen that happen a couple nights before, I'm guessing someone starts a thread on 4chan or something and a steady stream of idiots pile in.

Once you get the hang of it you can make a truck in about 15 minutes pretty easily. As colonial on the main map, just head to Sun (main base), farm ~150 scrap, process it there, then walk to salt farms (the slow part) and build it. Takes like 5min to walk there encumbered but I just do this when I first sign on and am usually listening to music/podcasts anyways.

People made motorcycles for a few days after they were introduced but I hardly see them now. There's just no reason to use them over a truck currently... hopefully they get a buff or the ability to shoot main guns out of the sidecar.

They're supposed to allow you to shoot from the sidecar, and they want to make them indispensable to recon. Unfortunately, there's no real point to recon currently. Now if they let you man a HMG from the sidecar, that'd be ace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

They're supposed to allow you to shoot from the sidecar, and they want to make them indispensable to recon. Unfortunately, there's no real point to recon currently. Now if they let you man a HMG from the sidecar, that'd be ace.
Yeah at least let us use real guns from the sidecar, right now you can only use pistol so it's more like a deathseat. Seems like patrolling your territory would be a more practical use for the motorcycle because doing recon you're just going to drive into their defenses more often than not.

• Locked thread