Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This week's Staff Pick:

Spring Breakers (2013)

Directed and Written by: Harmony Korine
Cinematography by: Benoit Debie
Soundtrack by: Skrillex
Starring: Selena Gomez, Vanessa Hudgens, Ashley Benson, Rachel Korine, James Franco and Gucci Mane
Legally Required to Mention that Characters Were Inspired by: Riff Raff

Summary: "Four college girls hold up a restaurant in order to fund their spring break vacation. While partying, drinking, and taking drugs, they are arrested, only to be bailed out by a drug and arms dealer."

Spring Breakers is my favorite American film, period. I've seen this movie probably close to a dozen times since it first came out and everytime I revisit it I am fascinated by some new element of the film. People hated this movie, and People are wrong. Notable talent involved with the production includes the cinematographer, Benoit Debie, who is known more for his work with Gaspar Noe on films like Irreversible and Enter the Void. The latter in particular extends its influence all over Spring Breakers, with the floating, carefree camerawork that typifies the debauchery of hosed up college kids invading spaces they never intend to properly acknowledge. There is an energy contained in the images of Spring Breakers that is hard to find elsewhere, which is why I'm so drawn to it. Also the music is great because its really lovely and that's funny.

I chose it because Spring officially started yesterday and the following few weeks is primo SPRING BREAK time. You can rent it from like everything online that will charge you 3 dollars to watch a movie, stream it through Showtime if you have a sub to that already, or you could come over to my place since I've got the Blu Ray. You gotta bring the natty though Bro

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJUQWQHC0vg

---

From the Staff Picks Archives
January 31st, 2017: Cure
February 7th, 2017: Westfront 1918
February 14th, 2017: John Wick
February 21st, 2017: Red Sorghum
February 28th, 2017: God of Gamblers
March 7th, 2017: The Autopsy of Jane Doe
March 14th, 2017: Perfect Blue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

unfortunately this movie doesnt really work for me on the small screen, like basically everything that i enjoyed seeing it theatrically (emotionality, sensory overload) is absent. definitely a movie that is more felt than understood. ive still seen it like 7 or 8 times though, it has some outstanding parts (the girls singing britney spears in the parking lot, the multiformat party sequence, the poolhall scene, the "everytime" montage, the blowjob sequence, the final setpiece, gucci mane in a hot tub) but these days its more interesting to me as 1. essentially an american attempt at neorealism 2. a thank you to hype williams for including footage of gummo in belly 3. being one of the few movies which cribs malicks style successfully 4. a 95 minute skrillex music viceo

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Mar 22, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Im looking forward to when this movie has had a few years to stew in the critical space and theatres start screening it again because I've only ever seen it once in a theatre and it was amazing

try the new taco place
Jan 4, 2004

hey mister... can u play drums while I sing and play plastic guitar???
Franco shoulda won the loving Oscar.

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

This movie has no wasted potential. It delivers in every way. I remember seeing it opening weekend to a nearly empty theater. I think that when the revival circuit picks it up, it will pack houses. It's one of the true 21st century greats.

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

A good companion piece is the video of Gucci Mane watching Gucci Mane in this movie

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03DrrNbxijA

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Oh wait, this one was better. It's in French but whatever, words don't matter here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COYP8E2F-9c

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love Korine and while this doesn't beat Gummo as my favourite by him (just saw it in 35mm and amazingly it still holds up) it's still pretty loving fantastic. Saw it in the cinema and then 2 weeks later went to Amsterdam and saw it again while messed up and adored it both times. Not watched the whole movie in about 2.5 years now but that Everytime montage is one of the best scenes in any movie from this decade if not century

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Best scene of the movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX2Z8QVw3s4

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Yeah, the scene with the girls doing pirouettes in pink balaclavas while holding shotguns has more cinema magic in it than most seemingly more ambitious movies manage to achieve. It's easy to dismiss it as a simple contrast between violence and a lullaby-like pop song but that's selling it short as there's beauty and movie-making instinct in it that Godard would approve of. Add the meta surface of the actresses being actual pop stars and the slow-mo being a direct reference to Clockwork Orange and you get pure movie joy out of it.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Oh man, you all read so many layers into the film than I did.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Ah man yeah even as someone that likes Korine more than anyone probably should, I was surprised as hell at how well he picked up his game and just fuckin made the poo poo out of this movie. It is every single thing it sets out to be and it's fuckin beautiful. The entire dreamlike opening alone is like a master class in good editing

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Just watched this again and its still so so good. In addition to just the visual design, the editing style is enormous with its nonlinearity and the disconnect between the dialogue and whats currently on screen. Gives almost the entire film this feeling of montage and makes it extremely funny, like when Faith is leaving a message for her grandmother about how beautiful St. Pete is and theres a shot of them peeing in the street, or the repeated phrase "spring break forever" over a shot of Gucci Mane dead in his bathtub.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I haven't watched this yet because my friend wanted to watch with me so it'll have to wait till this weekend QQ. But I'll make a new thread for this week and come back to this in a few days with sick screenies

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Here it is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3815106

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finally got around to watching this again and it's still my favorite movie ever. Wasn't watching on my computer so I wasn't able to easily snag screenies but I'll probably scrub through it again this weekend and grab some stuff.

I think the reason I love this movie relatively irrationally is that shots have a compositional quality I associate with slower cinema, and then non stop music video editing overwhelms me in the first 5 minutes and just makes me struggle with the presentation for the rest of the film. I wish this movie was 4 hours long instead of 80 minutes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Every time I try to fly, without my wings I feel so small...guess I need you baby

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's also probably the best movie about video games anybody will produce for, im going to guess, 25 years.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
It's a Great American Movie. I love it deeply.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
My girlfriend won't watch it because she grew up on the gulf coast and says she partied too hard during Spring Breaks. That the sex booze and drugs would be too real.

I saw it in the theater and think Franco should have gotten an Oscar. Help me convince her.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
So Harmony Korine announced his next movie
http://mashable.com/2017/05/18/spring-breakers-sequel-matthew-mcconaughey/#lnSomZTybmqZ

quote:

Matthew McConaughey has been set to star in The Beach Bum, described as an "irreverent comedy" about "a rebellious and lovable rogue" named Moondog. Harmony Korine will return to write and direct.
The Beach Bum is billed as a "follow-up" to Spring Breakers, rather than a direct sequel. According to i-D, The Beach Bum will share the same setting as Spring Breakers but is unlikely to bring back the main characters. Shooting will begin this fall for release in 2018.

I'm so loving in. Korine directing McConaughey is going to be incredible

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
i liked how the level of participation at the chicken shack robbery in the beginning lightly but firmly set the tone of all the characters early on, while forshadowing how into it each of the spring breakers would be later on in the film.

it is a good movie.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Can I enjoy this movie even if I want to throw james franco down a well any time I see him

mrlego
Feb 14, 2007

I do not avoid women, but I do deny them my essence.
It will make alll your dreams come true.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
finally saw it

great ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Finally forced my lady friend to watch it. She liked it, but didn't read too deeply into it.

• Locked thread