Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Checking to see if there's anyone who wants to do an Imp Zone succession game. Basically one person plays for a year, then passes on the save to the next person. Anyone want to do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
do you mean like game year or a real life year. if the former i will volunteer as heir to the throne

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

i'm down

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I guess I would do this but how long is an in-game year? also Ive never played dwarf fortress before in my life so hopefully the game doesn't have a game over status.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dork boretress

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

In Training posted:

I guess I would do this but how long is an in-game year? also Ive never played dwarf fortress before in my life so hopefully the game doesn't have a game over status.

It's about 2 hours with some pausing. It does have a game over status if all of your dwarves die, but its pretty hard to do that and if it does happen its really funny. And you can reclaim the fortress with 7 new dwarves.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

In Training posted:

it's hard to 'lose' but it's typically funny when it happens

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I'll do the first year tomorrow. I'll try to make it a little tutorial like to jog some memories and maybe give direction to the next player.

Would you guys prefer vanilla or Masterwork mod? Masterwork adds a ton of cool poo poo like new monsters, guilds, workshops. Should just generally add more stuff to do, and it comes with a ton of utilities to make running the fort easier.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DO i have to pay for dwarf fortress? if not sure send me the file and Ill mess around with it.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I need a starters guide for this poo poo or something

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

In Training posted:

DO i have to pay for dwarf fortress? if not sure send me the file and Ill mess around with it.

It's totally free. http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=7622

Here's the Starter Pack, which is basically the game with some really good utilities to help you run it. I recommend using Dwarf Therapist for managing dwarf labors.

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Here's the Masterwork mod if anyone wants to see what that's about http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=5315

There's a cool html guide with pictures in the dl

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ive never played it but what th hell, i'd do a year

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'll play but I've tried to learn several times without being successful

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

It's free

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Quickstart_guide

This is a really good and handy guide to get started. The wiki is really awesome and has stuff on everything.

Most key commands are displalyed on screen, but so is a useless map. Hit tab to get rid of it, then tab again to shrink the key guide.

Dr. Furious
Jan 11, 2001
KELVIN
My bot don't know nuthin' 'bout no KELVIN
I'll build a pump stack to flood the world with lava :black101:

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Could all the insane people give us like a month or two to figure it out before you construct an elaborate way to give us all aids

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm hoping my map game experience will help

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
We got a real nice starting location, lots of potential

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Average Bear fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 25, 2017

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

Average Bear posted:

We got a real nice starting location, lots of potential

The name of the fort? :grin:

edit: lol

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lmfao

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

He's a digger! He's a digger!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol. I'll stream me loving this up for 2 hours for some premium content.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

rediscover posted:

He's a digger! He's a digger!

Lol

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

what's the succession order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

rediscover posted:

what's the succession order.

I'll figure it out when I'm done so we can tell who's ready and who needs more time to figure it out. Anyway locking this thread because the real one is up!!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3814720

• Locked thread