Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Right.
I want to take a bunch of images, and for each image specify some X/Y coordinates for a rectangle (the same coordinates for all the images), match this rectangle to another image (the same image for all the input images), then if and only if it matches, fill it with white.
I cannot for the loving life of me find any remotely sane way of doing this. The best potential solution I've found is maybe using ImageMagick, which seems to be leading me down a nightmarish rabbithole filled with Cygwin and Bash scripts (windows user here).

I would settle for a solution which just checked if my specified rectangle had a certain percentage of black pixels, rather than matching it to a second image, honestly.

Please dear God someone help me, I've been beating my face against this all loving day.

The_White_Crane fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

ImageMagick has a native windows version (MinGW32) so you don't have to fart about with bash or cygwin, though if you're on Win10, it now has a native linux subsystem which works a lot nicer than cygwin.

I'd probably go about this by having imagemagick crop to the square and output the image as uncompressed .bmp to stdout and then pipe that into md5sum which you can then easily compare to your reference image which has been processed in the same way. This method will only work if they are pixel-perfect accurate, same colour depth and same resolution though.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Yeah, I tried the native windows version and it didn't want to play ball. Then all the advice I got from their community forum was "Now run this Bash script..."

In the end I solved the problem using photoshop actions and some javascript so horrible it probably merits ritual suicide.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

If you need something a tad more robust: http://docs.opencv.org/3.0-beta/doc/py_tutorials/py_imgproc/py_template_matching/py_template_matching.html

• Locked thread