Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

I haven't seen a ferment-focused thread, so I decided to make one for all things pickled and preserved.

Recently, I have gotten into the hobby of fermenting foods at home. So far, I presently have fermenting some preserved lemons, ginger and beet kvass, mushroom ketchup, and juniper and caraway sauerkraut.

Despite having made a hobby out of this, I feel I'm just scratching the surface of what fermentation is all about. I'm always looking to learn more from more experienced goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
this is great, I love fermenting too. great thread. sure hope someone can chime in with some content! thanks for posting. I'll bookmark and post. I like cats! does anyone like cats. my cat ate a salted meat one time and said woahhhhhh nelllyyyyy!!! that is too salty for me!!! LOL anyways back to you!

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
My mom makes pretty tasty red cabbage and caraway seed sauerkraut, and she puts a few raisins in. Takes a week or three to ferment and whenever I visit I always see a couple jars up above her fridge.

That said, at some sushi places there's a really good, kinda sweet (not too sweet though) pickled cabbage - still a little crunchy. It is deffo not sauerkraut, so how do you make that stuff? Just drop the leaves in a brine of vinegar salt and simple syrup or a day? Does the cabbage incorporate the vinegar and sugars faster if the vinegar mix is hot, or does that just boil the cabbage in a bad way?

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
My grandfather stole this recipe for pickles from a bar years ago and I love them:

Brine Pickles

½ cup salt(I usually do 1/3rd now)
1 oz garlic juice
3 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp dry mustard
2 dashes tobasco sauce
1 pt vinegar
2 quarts water
Dozen or so Kirby cucumbers, cut into spears

Just mix that poo poo together and give it a couple of days. They keep crisp better if you keep them refrigerated. Garlic juice can be kind of a pain in the rear end to find at least where I live, I've started just buying it off of Amazon.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
I'm instituting kombucha rules.

No kombucha.

Also beer.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

Anyone tried pickled egg yolks yet? Thoughts, fears, suggestions?

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1017850-soy-sauce-pickled-eggs

These look fantastic. I am gonna have to whip up a batch once I can make a trip to the store for some more kombu.

On a side note, I started a batch of kefir, and just began some jars of pickled beets with caraway. I am quickly running out of jars.

Ferdinand the Bull fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Mar 31, 2017

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
If a pickling recipe calls for vinegar, but not enough to cover the stuff in the jar - should I add more vinegar, or top off with water?

I just did a jar of red onions and I was thinking of doing spicy carrots next - does anyone have a recipe that they like?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Astonishing Wang posted:

If a pickling recipe calls for vinegar, but not enough to cover the stuff in the jar - should I add more vinegar, or top off with water?

you can make a larger volume of the liquid you made,
but in my experience, you can give it a shake every hour and after 1 to 4 hours, the liquid will turn out to be more than enough to cover your vegetables

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Astonishing Wang posted:

I just did a jar of red onions and I was thinking of doing spicy carrots next - does anyone have a recipe that they like?

I do Mexican-style pickled carrots similar to this: http://mexicanmademeatless.com/zanahorias-en-escabeche-or-mexican-spicy-pickled-carrots-2/

Carrots, jalapenos, bay leaves, oregano, peppercorn, garlic, and then just a standard white vinegar/water/salt brine. I usually throw in some sliced onions if I have them laying around too.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Ranter posted:

I'm instituting kombucha rules.

No kombucha.

Also beer.

Now now, what's wrong with kombucha? It's like switchel but with a chance of killing senior citizens.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3805256

:shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
And https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3437802

• Locked thread