Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Welcome to the laziest and probably most uninspired game "jam" possible.
tldr; Make a funny game, CSpam related.

Here's the bullshit FAQ this kind of post needs.

What is a game?
Propaganda for the modern ADHD world.

How the hell are we supposed to make games if we're not huge nerds? What if I don't want to install or buy any lovely software? What if it doesn't run on my Linux/Mac/DreamcastWindowsCE?
That's perfectly fine as there is a game engine that is recommended that does not require any specific download and only requires Chrome 57+ (Sorry Win CE fans, Chrome isn't supported on your platform yet).
That engine is the new Beta release of Construct 3

What if I have no skill and don't know how to use it?
That's perfectly fine. Just make something funny. The recommend engine allows people to do stuff without knowing too much.

Can I use something else
Sure but if it isn't a webpage I ain't gonna download it, other people may who knows.

What is a Jam?
Traditionally it gives you a time, topic, a goal, and a restriction to do some sort of work, much like an election season; however, due to the presidential elections glitching out with a erroneous winner it's rather unfair to compare it to such as the current season won't end until 2018 hopefully.

The only restrictions here are it must be C-Spam related and this "jam" ends at the end of May 2017
There are no restrictions on how many entries, go wild with quantity if your quality isn't good. Preferably have both.

Who's judging me?
Everyone, especially your parents

What's my prize?
I duno whatever people want to give you man, dickhat points, avatars, wonderous praise Hillary Clinton would be jealous of, whatever.

What's the point if you can't give us stuff?
I'm not a charity man, this is an entertainment forum.
Entertain people like you do with posts by spending 5 minutes on replacing graphics in a template, as long as it's funny.

I mean that's why you all post here right?

Is that why you always refer to it as a "jam"?
Sure, why not.

------

Now that standard BS is out of the way lets move on to the actual meat of the subject. This "jam" is designed to be a form of entertainment and shitposting. Post gifs of the dumb crap you make, post links if you want, or even post the share file for the game's source code. Due to the relative ease of the recommended engine it's prime for silly fuckery and you can make a custom game, modify a template, or collaborate with other posters to make something like the best Alex Jones RPG ever made.

Here's an example that took me literally 20 minutes to replace a couple images and modify 4 lines to make it playable with the new images:

This game is 127% Baloogan approved!
https://thndr.neocities.org/games/flappybaloogan/

A funny game just based off from the templates that many posters will spend more time playing than reading my posts.
I've also spent more time crafting some of my posts than it took to make the game so I'm calling it a win/win.

-----

Technical Details:

Recommended Engine:
Construct 3

Construct 3 is a HTML 5 game making engine that is programmed entirely in HTML5. This means that it can work on any PC that can run a modern web browser (Chrome 57+, other browsers coming soon)
The exported game engine from Construct 3 is the same as Construct 2 (A Windows HTML5 game maker), and at the moment any games exported in C3 will still have the C2 splash due to this.

Recommended Engine Restrictions:
Much like all free things from politicians, it does have some caveats.
Due to you not buying the engine it'll have some free restrictions that will prevent you from making huge games, which is perfect for this sort of "jam"

=HOW *pause* EVER~=
Coincidentally near the end of May there will be a free week of Construct 3 being unlocked, meaning in a week you can work with no restrictions to make the best game you can. This would be between May 15th to May 21st. So you have plenty of time to mess with the free version for this "jam" to learn the ropes if you are interested.

https://www.scirra.com/blog/201/construct-3-gamejam-with-newgrounds

If it's quality enough you may even want to submit it to Newgrounds for that Jam... if the rules allow it of course. See the details for that when it comes out if you're interested.

App access
You'll need internet access the first time you visit the app page, but after that it'll be saved locally until there's an update needed.
Not only that you but you can use the engine on your Android device too

How is host formed?
Neocities.org is a good site that provides basic HTML service. They don't host music files so I don't know what sort of MIDI/Ogg Vorbis they'll reject too.
The engine is designed to save to Google Drive/Dropbox/Onedrive, so you can easily share you game code/file that others can open and preview through the Construct 3 web-app.

If you have something more complicated and requires more than Neocities provides then you need to provide your own hosting or distribute the exported HTML zip file (this is a pain in the rear end for most people to open though)

---

OP will be subject to formatting and post improvements.

ThndrShk2k has issued a correction as of 01:24 on Mar 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

i will slam but i will not jam

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
I don't currently have the resources (because I am engaging in a dramatic nonparticipation in the capitalist system (( aka im using my parent internet))) but someone needs to make a game where you are LBJ and you show your dick to people.

I'm talking a dedicated whip out your dick button.

Stephen K. Bannon
Mar 8, 2017

by Smythe
I'm out of here because I can see the buzzards already circling.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

reignofevil posted:

I don't currently have the resources (because I am engaging in a dramatic nonparticipation in the capitalist system (( aka im using my parent internet))) but someone needs to make a game where you are LBJ and you show your dick to people.

I'm talking a dedicated whip out your dick button.
Oh right, that reminds me I forgot to put in another neat technical thing.

With Chrome 57+ it saves the website locally using service workers and persistent app stuff, which not only makes it so you only have to download the app's data once, but you can also use it offline! (granted I don't know how you'll save the game if you can't access Google Drive, BUT IT'S USABLE!)

Plus on Android it also the persistent app stuff to also provide a homescreen icon.
Yes, that's right, you can make games using a phone or tablet.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
im gonna try to do something quick and dumb with construct this weekend, but thread def bookmarked

ive already drawn some pissinspo a few months back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
I present to you:

Trump's i85 rampage!
https://thndr.neocities.org/games/trumpi85/

• Locked thread