Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Sorry for the delayed update, I was traveling and forgot to upload the images to imgur or my laptop. Anyway, the LP is not, in fact, dead.

Turn 23

Very few messages this turn.

We finally found another magic site, this one is quite good actually. Even with no astral, pearls are still useful for alchemizing and gold is always nice.

Poor peasant got turned into a lobster, but their loss is our gain!

Our patrols got rid of some unrest, we’re just waiting at this point so not much else to do but patrol.

For those with a keen memory, next turn is the end of our NAP with Atlantis. I'm sure Atlantis just wants to be buds and won't attack me right then, right? Right?

Ok, troop movements.

We have multiple armies moving in on Devil’s Pond. His army is quite substantial, I’m actually not sure who will win this one. Here’s an example of my scripting. Water mages summon water power, shark attack and summon water elementals. Next turn we can summon big elementals.

Heavy infantry and centaurs go in front, attack closest to take the hits. The lighter centaurs are on attack rearmost to hopefully get in quick and kill their mages. We’ll see how this works out in practice.

Both stealthy armies are set to attack, both will move westward and hopefully meet little resistance.

Other armies are moving to defend my provinces, we will attack with them the turn after assuming nothing goes wrong. There is a 100 strong army that’s sitting sort of unopposed to my west but that province isn’t terribly important. Actually, looking at it it has a ton of income but whatever, we can send out an army to intercept next turn.

Most forts are building our high resource units since I can’t afford to build 200 light centaurs this turn.

I’m really excited for this next turn, I don’t expect to win every battle but I do think we’ll come out on top for the most part. My units are quite good and I have mages ready to cast all kinds of fun stuff plus my pretender wading into the fray. Wish me luck! edit: hahahaha

Join us next turn for UW War: Part Deux!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I love the turn before the fight, it's always so hopeful.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Speleothing posted:

I love the turn before the fight, it's always so hopeful.

Turns out my optimism wasn't totally misplaced but rereading it now is kinda funny.

Turn 24

Here we go! Lots of messages, lots of battles as you can see.

Conjuration 5 completed, this gives us full water elementals although they take water 3.

Also gives us howl which is quite good but doesn’t work underwater.

Caelum capped a throne, a level 2 with good gem income.

Failed magic site search.

Now for the battles, first one in the faraway sea. This was the scary army and I actually didn’t have any units to intercept so it just hit PD. The PD actually does pretty well, getting 23 kills. 5 shark knights too which are vicious as gently caress.

Next up, Ocean of our Lord. You can see from the set up we’re gonna win. I mean my pretender is here too but he may waste some gems.

Looks like just ice shield, no gem use.

Our units clean up, easy peasy. We only take 2 losses.

Devil’s Pond is next, just PD. No losses.

Same in Dagor and Emerald Lake. Those two were my stealthy armies and they took both provinces with no casualties.

Gee, who do you think is going to win this one? The lobsters do a bit of damage but we knock off their riders and they trample a bit. All their prot doesn’t save them from spears with some strength behind them.

His war shamblers are on hold attack and are attacked by my cavalry set to attack rearmost. They’re tough and hit hard but our numbers make the difference.

We kill everything, losing 10 units. 8 of them are sea lions which I don’t give a poo poo about.

Last battle, this one is in Mu. This is a tough army. War lobsters are loving vicious and unfortunately most of our troops here are the satyrs instead of the centaurs.

First contact, our centaurs do decent damage. Their tridents do 20 damage so when they connect, they hit hard.

We get them surrounded and knock a few riders off but that just means the lobster is free to trample around. They also attack randomly but there are way more targets in our army than his.

Our satyrs run for their lives like the babies they are. School of sharks is cast but doesn’t seem to do much. Our centaurs also take a lot of hits and losses and rout.

So they only lose 13 guys and we lose three times as much, our only loss with a real army so far. School of sharks kinda sucks, I’m just going to do water elementals from now on.

Two crappy events, one ok event.

The fight we lost in Mu had our fortress, which is being besieged. Ok, now for our counterpunch. All nearby armies are relieving Mu. Should be no problem even if the shark knight army helps out. Lobsters hit real hard but they have only 11 attack and even lower attack as lobsters so our centaurs do decently well against them. They still get trampled but you can’t win ‘em all.

Nearly all of our water gems are gone, given away to our capricorns. Our sirens are still researching cause gently caress them and their water 2. On land, they’re a1w1, even more useless. At some point I get frozen heart and they might do something but they’re more useful researching for now. I’d really love some water sites battlesnek game. I’ve found 0 and the only reason I have any gems left at all is because I took Pelagia. At least Atlantis will give us some more gem income.

One other point of interest, Marignon has found a lizard shaman province. Lizard shamans are a huge advantage because they come with astral and are decently cheap, making them good slaves in a communion. I’m definitely going to have to attack Marignon sooner rather than later. I can see his scales though which are uh, interesting. 3 order, 1 production, 1 growth and 3 misfortune. 3 misfortune is something you rarely see because it unlocks some real bad events or so I am told. He has a huge income but he must be losing a bunch of money every turn to bad events.

Join us next turn for more fights!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Misfortune sounds like one of the worst possible negative scales to pick. Everything else feels like something you could potentially work with, but heavy Misfortune will screw over almost anyone and any strategy.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Three Misfortune. Wow. This should be very fun to watch.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I mean if you can only see it in the one province then it could be the result of an event like the one the OP had that added extra misfortune to a province (or even certain magic sites increase misfortune I think), but if it's all over that's a bad choice.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

PurpleXVI posted:

Misfortune sounds like one of the worst possible negative scales to pick. Everything else feels like something you could potentially work with, but heavy Misfortune will screw over almost anyone and any strategy.

Some nations have fortune tellers who can ward off bad events, but Marignon isn't one of them. The normal plan is to take order 3, which reduces the amount of random events, and just hope you don't get any of the really bad ones. The issue with that the number of events increases with the size of your empire, and eventually you will start getting events no matter what your order scale is.

There aren't actually many events that require misfortune 3. Mostly NPC attacks (uncommon) or your temples burning down (really annoying).

Oh, and never take misfortune with drain 3. That doesn't end anywhere good.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Misfortune with Death or Magic is also lots of fun.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
When I started playing Dom4, I pretty much always took Order 3 with some amount of Misfortune. Then I played a single build without any Misfortune and literally never took it again. Even if it's a good idea to take at times, it's utterly miserable to deal with. And those are just the annoying events, not the real heavy-hitters.

Kanthulhu
Apr 8, 2009
NO ONE SPOIL GAME OF THRONES FOR ME!

IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT OBERYN MARTELL AND THE MOUNTAIN DIE THIS SEASON, I'M GOING TO BE PISSED.

BUT NOT HALF AS PISSED AS I'D BE IF SOMEONE WERE TO SPOIL VARYS KILLING A LANISTER!!!

(Dany shits in a field)
Order + Luck means you get to swim on a sea of money

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Corbeau posted:

When I started playing Dom4, I pretty much always took Order 3 with some amount of Misfortune. Then I played a single build without any Misfortune and literally never took it again. Even if it's a good idea to take at times, it's utterly miserable to deal with. And those are just the annoying events, not the real heavy-hitters.

This. Even if it's good on he whole, the small hits from misfortune are tiring to deal with, in a game that already demands high commitment. Luck is nicer because you get presents every turn.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
That seems like an interesting game idea. Luck of the draw.

Everyone take misfortune 3.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Donkringel posted:

That seems like an interesting game idea. Luck of the draw.

Everyone take misfortune 3.

Luck 3, Chaos 3

:getin:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Misfortune really sucks and I avoid it when I can. It should be fine for nations like Marverni or Sauromatia with cheapo fortune telling units though.

Turn 25

Second turn at war, lots of messages.

Pissbitch (Marignon) claims the throne of fire, you can see it here. That one is quite good, I want it! Marignon has enough fire imo.

Battle in baptizer, just small PD, no losses.

Atlantis attacks us with a single commander for some reason. Surprise! he loses.

Our stealthy army takes a province, only a single loss.

Now the battle in Mu, which had a fort being sieged. Our forces.

Their forces. Not a ton of guys but each one is scary.

First clash, water elementals being summoned and some water strikes.Fortunately, they have just one mage. Their lobsters trample the poo poo out of us though, gently caress lobsters.

Some units routing.

Water elementals doing work. You can see we’ve lost a lot of guys, most of them are dead but some routed.

We win the battle but it went terribly. We lost twice as many guys thanks to the lobsters. My centaurs can’t deal with the trample at all and the lobsters only cost 50 gold so he can make quite a few. There are some things I can do however. Water elementals gently caress everything up so I’m going to start relying on them more. That means all units are on hold attack to give time for the water elementals to get to the front lines.

Our large army kills some PD and sieges the fort.

Second sneaky army caps a province.

There’s that event that we prepared for but we actually lost the province. I guess 25 wasn’t enough PD?

After that, one bad event and one good event. I have no death gem income so this event is pretty good. However, I’m going to start summoning some death naiads once I hit conjuration 6 and they’ll start searching. If my pretender has time, he’ll search but I imagine he’ll be busy fighting Atlantis.

Now for troop movemnts. My sneaky armies continue capping back provinces. However you can see Atlantis turned his scary army around to chase us. That’s fine, we can always stay one step ahead of him and it’s only ever taking back his own provinces to begin with. A few small armies moving west to chase that big shark knight army, not a lot of units but a lot of mages and water elementals are amazing at this point.

Our spies are moving around, we can see Asphodel, Marignon and Pan are both real big. Probably Pan or Marignon will be our next target but hopefully our scouting will lead us one way or another.

Our army actually busted open the fort in one turn so we’ll storm it next turn. Free fort and hopefully a lab?

Join us next turn for some juicy Atlantian provinces!

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
You can't even see Asphodel on that map, I'm actually small and helpless and totally not a threat :colbert:

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

How are u posted:

You can't even see Asphodel on that map, I'm actually small and helpless and totally not a threat :colbert:

Good job being completely landlocked I guess.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
What even is your PD? The undisciplined icthy trash?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

quote:

Getting a look at Atlantis' land holdings, I see.

For those who didn't play this game, Pythium (pink with gold borders) is dead. They attacked Atlantis, and Atlantis asked for my (Vanarus') help. I was happy to oblige since I'd bumped and obliterated one of Pythium's expansion armies early on. The few Pythium provinces you can see on the coast are being gobbled up by Caelum as part of a particularly... interesting deal. Upshot is that Pythium is being partitioned and Atlantis is no longer being pressured on land.

• Locked thread