Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Next is Places, Please. A bit easy once you've got the system down, but should be interesting for those who haven't done one before.

Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Not sure how we're going to do this collaboratively, but we can do at least four from group 7. Elephant, Eerily, Erector and Egomania only have one place they can overlap the group 8 words.

Edit: "Guy" from 4 goes left to give the Y in group 3.

Brutal Garcon fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 2, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Yeah, this isn't the best choice for collab since it's generally pretty linear in how you solve it. Something to keep in mind for next time.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

10 moving to the left (ie, backwards), WHOLESALER

8_Escape
Dec 26, 2013
I think ARISTOCRAT is straight up from 17.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mega64 posted:

Yeah, this isn't the best choice for collab since it's generally pretty linear in how you solve it. Something to keep in mind for next time.

Another problem is that I really have to update the puzzle a lot since it's really hard to visualize your options from a blank slate. Thus, the easiest thing to do is mulligan and pick a new puzzle.

I'll have a new one up shortly...

Mega64
May 23, 2008

This one should work better. It's called Word Games Puzzle. It's pretty difficult for me solo, so hopefully it should go better as a team!

Good luck!

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Band + Aunt = Abundant
Tear + Mail = Material
Rote + Said = Asteroid
Lion + Sage = Gasoline

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Bram Stroker: Count Dracula
Arthur Conan Doyle: Sherlock Holmes
A. A. Milne: Winnie the Pooh

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.
Tidy; Bride's Man = GROOM (?)

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Plain; Easy: Simple

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Erle Stanley Gardner: Perry Mason
Job; Point of view: Position

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Here's what I've got so far. Even took the liberty of filling in some letters for the other clues! May have made some mistakes on the top part so be aware of that.

Won't have time to update/add new puzzles until tomorrow afternoon, so if anyone wants to update this puzzle and/or throw their own puzzle in, by all means!

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Apr 3, 2017

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Annoying, Shredding: Grating

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Mill Pollens: Phil Collins

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Logicblade posted:

Mill Pollens: Phil Collins

Oh is THAT what those were going for?
Day Taken: Clay Aiken
When I attain; Shania Twain

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Oh is THAT what those were going for?

Half the challenge for this puzzle is figuring out what the hell the gimmick of each subsection is. Sometimes they're obvious, sometimes...not so much. That's why you (hopefully) figure out the easy clues first, fill in matching letters for other clues (and maybe figure out some words in the top clue to add more letters), and hopefully a clue will start to stand out (like Phil Collins).

For me they're among the more challenging ones, which makes it all the more rewarding when I actually solve one without outside help (barring looking up the answer for clues I'm unfamiliar with).

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on May 3, 2017

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Just by filling in the blanks I got Clint Black for the last one. I don't know who that is though.

The passage reads: "As a Scotsman in a kilt was walking on the beach practicing playing his national instrument, a child pointed at him saying 'Look mom, a sand piper!"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Clint Black's a big-name country star.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, I have a logic puzzle:

There are three people (Alex, Brook and Cody), one of whom is a knight, one a knave, and one a spy.

The knight always tells the truth, the knave always lies, and the spy can either lie or tell the truth.

Alex says: "Cody is a knave."
Brook says: "Alex is a knight."
Cody says: "I am the spy."

Who is the knight, who the knave, and who the spy?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Junpei posted:

Okay, I have a logic puzzle:

There are three people (Alex, Brook and Cody), one of whom is a knight, one a knave, and one a spy.

The knight always tells the truth, the knave always lies, and the spy can either lie or tell the truth.

Alex says: "Cody is a knave."
Brook says: "Alex is a knight."
Cody says: "I am the spy."

Who is the knight, who the knave, and who the spy?

Process of elimination

1: Alex = Knight, Brook = Knave, Cody = Spy || Does not work - Alex(knight) would be lying
2. Alex = Knight, Brook = Spy, Cody = Knave || Works
3. Alex = Knave, Brook = Knight, Cody = Spy || Does not work - Brook(knight) would be lying
4. Alex = Knave, Brook = Spy, Cody = Knight || Does not work - Cody(knight) would be lying
5. Alex = Spy, Brook = Knave, Cody = Knight || Does not work - Cody (knight) would be lying
6. Alex = Spy, Brook = Knight, Cody = Knave || Does not work - Brook (knight) would be lying

Therefore it must be scenario #2 where Alex = Knight, Brook = Spy, Cody = Knave

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

PotatoManJack posted:

Process of elimination

1: Alex = Knight, Brook = Knave, Cody = Spy || Does not work - Alex(knight) would be lying
2. Alex = Knight, Brook = Spy, Cody = Knave || Works
3. Alex = Knave, Brook = Knight, Cody = Spy || Does not work - Brook(knight) would be lying
4. Alex = Knave, Brook = Spy, Cody = Knight || Does not work - Cody(knight) would be lying
5. Alex = Spy, Brook = Knave, Cody = Knight || Does not work - Cody (knight) would be lying
6. Alex = Spy, Brook = Knight, Cody = Knave || Does not work - Brook (knight) would be lying

Therefore it must be scenario #2 where Alex = Knight, Brook = Spy, Cody = Knave

Correct.

New logic puzzle:
Bushnell County is putting together a historical brochure about some of the ancient cultures that used to live there. There were four different cultures: Danseri, Hatgare, Ryat and Tyash. Each had a different estimated population: One had 4,500 people, another had 5,000, the third had 7,500 and the last had 9,000. They also were founded at different times (100 AD, 350 AD, 600 AD and 850 AD) and were formed in different locations (Carmel, Lacona, Mason City and Quasqueton). Using the following statements, can you figure out where each culture went, how many people they had and what time period they lived in?

1. The Danseri culture wasn't founded in 850 AD.
2. The Danseri culture was founded sometime after the culture with 7,500 people.
3. Of the culture founded in 350 AD and the culture with 5,000 people, one was the Hatgare culture and the other was based near Carmel.
4. The culture located near Quasqueton was founded sometime before the Hatgare culture.
5. The culture located near Mason City was founded 250 years after the culture with 5,000 people.
6. Of the culture with 4,500 people and the Ryat culture, one was based near Mason City and the other was founded in 100 AD.
7. The culture located near Lacona was founded 250 years before the culture with 4,500 people.

Junpei fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 3, 2017

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

A nice way to start with puzzles like this is to draw a grid for them

And I've plucked the low-hanging fruit for this one by filling in the bits that can't possibly true (marked with X), courtesy of clues 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7.

Meanwhile, here's my own contribution, my favourite puzzle from Techniquest, the science centre in Cardiff where I work:

You have the numbers 1 to 9, and you have to arrange them such that each of the four red lines through the middle adds up to the same total. There are three ways to do it, with three different totals that the four lines add up to: see if you can find all three.

For extra credit, can you prove that there are only three ways to do it?

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Apr 3, 2017

Trick Question
Apr 9, 2007

Just don't do anything. The lines all add up to zero without us doing anything. Why make life harder for ourselves?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Trick Question posted:

Just don't do anything. The lines all add up to zero without us doing anything. Why make life harder for ourselves?
Okay, so maybe there are four ways to solve it :v:. Also, nice user name/post combo.

Realised after posting that I could squeeze a bit more low-hanging fruit into that logic puzzle:

Since we know that the 4500 pop culture was founded after the one near Lacona, it can't be the one founded in 100AD. So by clue 6, it must be based near Mason City and Ryat must have been founded in 100AD.

e: wait. If Mason City is 4500 pop then clues 5 and 7 are referring to the same two places, so Lacona is 5000 pop. So 5000 pop can't be Carmel, so it must be Hatgare. And Carmel must be 350AD.

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Apr 3, 2017

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Paul.Power posted:

A nice way to start with puzzles like this is to draw a grid for them

And I've plucked the low-hanging fruit for this one by filling in the bits that can't possibly true (marked with X), courtesy of clues 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7.

Meanwhile, here's my own contribution, my favourite puzzle from Techniquest, the science centre in Cardiff where I work:

You have the numbers 1 to 9, and you have to arrange them such that each of the four red lines through the middle adds up to the same total. There are three ways to do it, with three different totals that the four lines add up to: see if you can find all three.

For extra credit, can you prove that there are only three ways to do it?

So this is equivalent to just throwing one of the balls away and putting the rest into pairs that add up to the same thing. If N is paired with M, then N + 1 must be with M - 1 and so on. It looks like there's only 3 ways to do it:
- lose the smallest one (1): 2-9, 3-8, 4-7, 5-6 adds up to 12
- lose the biggest one (9): 1-8 etc. adds up to 18
- lose the middle one (5) 1-9, ..., 4-6. adds up to 15.

Losing any other ball would leave a gap you couldn't jump.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Dzhay posted:

So this is equivalent to just throwing one of the balls away and putting the rest into pairs that add up to the same thing. If N is paired with M, then N + 1 must be with M - 1 and so on. It looks like there's only 3 ways to do it:
- lose the smallest one (1): 2-9, 3-8, 4-7, 5-6 adds up to 12
- lose the biggest one (9): 1-8 etc. adds up to 18
- lose the middle one (5) 1-9, ..., 4-6. adds up to 15.

Losing any other ball would leave a gap you couldn't jump.

Yep, you've got it. The way I like to prove it is to say that if we want four pairs of numbers that add to the same total, then the sum of all eight numbers around the edge must be divisible by four. Since the sum of the numbers 1 to 9 is 45, the sum of the numbers around the edge is 45 - [the middle number]. When that's 1, the rest of the numbers add to 44 and you get four pairs that add to 11. When it's 5, the rest of the numbers add to 40 and you get four pairs that add to 10. When it's 9, the rest of the numbers add to 36 and you get four pairs that add to 9. But with any other number in the middle, the sum of the rest of the numbers won't divide evenly by four.

e: finished the logic puzzle:

Danseri, pop 9000, founded 350AD, near Carmel
Hatgare, pop 5000, founded 600AD, near Lacona
Ryat, pop 7500, founded 100AD, near Quasqueton
Tyash, pop 4500, founded 850AD, near Mason City

Paul.Power fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!