Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play DBZ: Sagas

DBZ Sagas was a first for the license. It was the first game developed solely by an American studio, and the first beat 'em up. I mean, the back of the case says it's an adventure game, but let's be real here okay? It's much easier to appreciate as an experiment than as an actual game. That is to say it's got a lot of problems. Hard crashes, audio bugs, game-breaking collision detection, atrocious boss design, and really weird music.

But it's worth playing?

It's worth experiencing, either through an actual playthrough or a series of videos, like these! The game's flaws are obvious, but so are its ambitions. It was a new genre in a license completely absent of a pure-blooded action title, and it had some neat ideas about how exactly to accomplish that feat. Teleporting from enemy to enemy on command and blasting them in the face has its obvious appeals, after all. There are also many upgrades -which I have already purchased- that add a couple (note, a couple) of nuances to the combat, but nothing that pushes it above “kind of a trainwreck”.

I'm really confused how you feel about this game.

I think intrigued is the proper word. I can't appreciate it for what it is -and I doubt many people can- but I can appreciate what it tried to do.

How will this Let's Play go?

I've already pre-purchased all of the upgrades and painstakingly collected all of the collectibles. This ensures you'll see the game in its best light, with all the available moves and far less of the tedium. If we instead opted to play the game normally, we would end up with barely enough time to show everything off. You'll still be sick of everything by the end of the first saga, but at least this way it goes faster and is more fun to watch.

Videos

Alternate Vid.me Link

Alternate Vid.me Link

Alternate Vid.me Link

Alternate Vid.me Link

Alternate Vid.me Link

Alternate Vid.me Link

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If I was new to the franchise, I would have some understanding of how the story went, unlike every other DB game you showed. Text means nothing when you can just show the action and not show the characters idle animation.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

If I was new to the franchise, I would have some understanding of how the story went, unlike every other DB game you showed. Text means nothing when you can just show the action and not show the characters idle animation.

I definitely want to give them game credit for having decent summaries of the story.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
They used the Saban(?) footage as well. I can see all the times there were still blood on the characters, despite how heavy and erratic the censorship was/is in cartoons back then.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
The dub was done by Ocean Studios under Funimation's oversight, Saban only did the distribution to television while Pioneer handled home video.

Funimation would later re-dub the series in-house.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 3, 2017

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

The only way to win fights is to never finish combos. I mean that says it all about Sagas, what an awful game

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Testekill posted:

The only way to win fights is to never finish combos. I mean that says it all about Sagas, what an awful game

I'm aware of the strategy of constantly switching between punches and kicks, but using the longest combo actually takes less time provided one is playing on Normal and has access to it.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Testekill posted:

I still remember walking into a Gamestop in the mall, seeing this game on the shelf, and being curious. I never did indulge that curiosity, and now I hope that this thread can sate that finally since I've heard it's just so bad that I never wanted to put myself through that torture.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Drowning Rabbit posted:

I still remember walking into a Gamestop in the mall, seeing this game on the shelf, and being curious. I never did indulge that curiosity, and now I hope that this thread can sate that finally since I've heard it's just so bad that I never wanted to put myself through that torture.

I am confident I can make the most informative LP of DBZ Sagas.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alternate Vid.me Link

You're playing with the big boys now.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It wouldn't be a DB game without skipping Freezer's bodyguards.
Those filter effects have no reason to be there and the narrator shouldn't get drowned out by the sound effects.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

It wouldn't be a DB game without skipping Freezer's bodyguards.
Those filter effects have no reason to be there and the narrator shouldn't get drowned out by the sound effects.

In spite of the filter, the editing of the scenes is pretty decent. I do wish we got fights against Zarbon though, especially in this game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alternate Vid.me Link

Defying no one's expectations, we are now halfway done.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Even these guys agree on Freezer having 12 million PL.
It doesn't look like you are taking out that many enemies.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

It doesn't look like you are taking out that many enemies.

In spite of that, the tally claims I've killed 50 of them.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Jesus, even at the time the game came out I had seen AMVs that were edited better than those cutscenes.

edit - Also, what's up with Bulma?
:nyd:: To proceed, you must...
:black101:: KILL ALL THE ENEMIES!!!!!

All that crab-killing must've awakened something in her I guess. Pretty weird for a franchise that was allergic to the word 'die' at one point.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Pizdec posted:

Pretty weird for a franchise that was allergic to the word 'die' at one point.

Some of the characters still say "I'll send you to the next dimension" in this game.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alternate Vid.me Link

This video is a combo breaker in the sense that it is mostly glitch-free.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Sure dodged some sad feels by not having Trunks go through his transformation. Can't have emotion in this game.
Gero seems to have made androids up to 100 or something and they were all weak failures.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can't have emotion in this game.

Yeah, emotional is probably one of the last things I would ever call DBZ Sagas.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alternate Vid.me Link

Android 19's battle is realistic.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
That one robot looked like a small knockoff of that final boss in Sonic the hedgehog 2.
I don't know if anyone else on the planet made military robots besides the Red Ribbon, but if someone was able to make robots like that pirate skeleton way back in Dragon Ball, they might be a precursor to Red Ribbon or a very early model.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 13, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Alternate Vid.me Link

I love this game.

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 19, 2017

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
If they bothered to fill in the power levels for half the bosses or explained something through the scouter, it might have been useful.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
The whole 'not showing power levels for androids' is actually cannon, since only biological beings have power levels.
Witch is generally why DBZ games don't bother with the whole power level thing in the first place.

That, and power levels are bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
The guys at Daizenshuu whatever still have to apply numbers for everything, down to their ki attacks.

• Locked thread