Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

quote:

On my first day of work as the editor in chief of the New York Observer, which had been acquired five years earlier by Jared Kushner, now the son-in-law and senior adviser to President Trump, I inherited an office and a desktop computer, both in fine but used condition. The computer was a recent-model Mac, but when I turned it on, it was inexplicably running Windows. I summoned our beleaguered IT guy to explain, and he informed me that it had belonged to Kushner, who liked the design of Apple products but preferred the Windows OS.

“So he was basically using a $2,500 desktop as a monitor?” I asked. The IT guy shrugged.

In retrospect, this tiny moment seems like a metaphor. Frankensteining two products you appreciate into one product you appreciate even more isn’t irrational; it’s even creative, in a way. On the other hand, why did the newspaper’s owner need a $2,500 monitor? How was it anything but a vanity object?

You're supposed to install osx on superior windows PC hardware, not the other way around. Idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
who gives a gently caress

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

gnrk posted:

your mom etc

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

terrible

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

:420:

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

yah, boy!

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Thanks for the heads up, op. I'm starting to think Jared Kushner might be bad.

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Kushner is a goddamn quisling but i'm more concerned about the guy who had that anecdote thinking that windows doesn't use any of the desktop hardware other than the monitor

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

duTrieux. posted:

Kushner is a goddamn quisling but i'm more concerned about the guy who had that anecdote thinking that windows doesn't use any of the desktop hardware other than the monitor

i think he assumed that there was a hidden windows box that was wired into the mac monitor instead of it probably being on parallels or bootcamp or whatever

which isnt the dumbest thing to think if you're just not aware that feature exists

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

duTrieux. posted:

what's the reason to use an iMac over any windows computer

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

with windows the more apt analogy would be "he's using a $2500 desktop as a paper weight"

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

they look nice, but that's it.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

akadajet posted:

they look nice, but that's it.

right, so it's paying 2500 to have a nicer computer monitor

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
it's a pretty good analogy. he's only worried about outside appearance while the core is rotting garbage

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

didn't get a weed joke in the op, voted 1

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ashton's brother

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
if hillary were a good politician she would have released an attack ad about how trump is an android user and his people love windows. i reckon it would have won her the election

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

right, so it's paying 2500 to have a nicer computer monitor

screen is the only thing worth anything in an apple product, so in a word, yes

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

poty posted:

if hillary were a good politician she would have released an attack ad about how trump is an android user and his people love windows. i reckon it would have won her the election

California was already in the bag so I don't think it would have helped much. Not ignoring the rust belt would have been a better plan.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

eric posted:

California was already in the bag so I don't think it would have helped much. Not ignoring the rust belt would have been a better plan.

no it was about operation systems

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
it was probably because she ran an embarrassing os herself. she ran her own email server so shes probably a linux zealot

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

poty posted:

it was probably because she ran an embarrassing os herself. she ran her own email server so shes probably a linux zealot

lol if you think that email server wasn't running exchange

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

gnrk posted:

what's goin on

dear

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

akadajet posted:

lol if you think that email server wasn't running exchange

in March of 2009, Pagliano delivered two servers to Chappaqua—a Dell PowerEdge 2900 running Windows Server and Microsoft Exchange and a Dell PowerEdge 1950 running Blackberry Enterprise Server (BES)

pram
Jun 10, 2001

gnrk posted:

this. gas

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Pinterest Mom posted:

its good

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i love my 2013 imac. i boot into windows occasionally so i can play the new walking dead game. its not that weird to use bootcamp

AWWNAW
Dec 30, 2008

Jared does not even use computer

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
It's not a bad way to go if a few hundred dollars won't break the bank. Good form factor for your desk, fewer cables, and guaranteed hardware interoperablity.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
in before Shaggar in this honeypot

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
If anything this just raises serious questions about the New York Observer infosec policies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Pinterest Mom posted:

the box is in the screen!

• Locked thread