Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

logikv9 posted:

i agree with you and i would like to rephrase the word lazy with laziness regarding voting. sorry 4 the confusion

well, the less stable your life is, the less likely you are to vote. lets not forget there are a lot of voter suppression tactics used against young people specifically, not just minorities. for example, republicans love to try to make students vote from their home county instead of the one they reside in. then they love to purge them from voter rolls in their home counties cause "they don't live there". etc. etc.

this undoubtedly happens in democratic states too cause dems don't want to swing too far left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Condiv posted:

well, the less stable your life is, the less likely you are to vote. lets not forget there are a lot of voter suppression tactics used against young people specifically, not just minorities. for example, republicans love to try to make students vote from their home county instead of the one they reside in. then they love to purge them from voter rolls in their home counties cause "they don't live there". etc. etc.

this undoubtedly happens in democratic states too cause dems don't want to swing too far left

not sure how true this is as the turnout rates in the rust belt states were fine, and their whole argument is that our lives are a mess and we are dying. young person voter suppression does not account for such a low rate of voting, especially since student focused suppression only covers ages 18-22. after that you're hitting every demographic

the rates are low. they are low in spite of suppression, not because of them

e: i totally hosed up the last sentence please it's late and i didn't get sleep. i am cranky

logikv9 has issued a correction as of 05:28 on Apr 9, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

logikv9 posted:

not sure how true this is as the turnout rates in the rust belt states were fine, and their whole argument is that our lives are a mess and we are dying. young person voter suppression does not account for such a low rate of voting, especially since student focused suppression only covers ages 18-22. after that you're hitting every demographic

the rates are low. they are low in spite of suppression, not because of them

e: i totally hosed up the last sentence please it's late and i didn't get sleep. i am cranky

turnout rates in the rust belt states were not fine since we lost some that traditionally go democrat to the republicans

instability is almost certainly a factor in turnout, as low income levels coincide with lower turnout

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
so did hillary visit

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

a helpful bear posted:

guys im just reporting in from the other timeline and it tuirns out president martin o'malley has declared it required that thursdays are 'go topless' day and we have parties all the time. we just cleared judge jeff daniels in a historical 100-0 bipartisan vote and all the beer taxes have been eliminated

o'malley would have won

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

so did hillary visit

yes she's beating the visiting auto workers as we speak

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

logikv9 posted:

it's alright, statistics show that even with the progressive demigod on board you would've have turned out more than 17%
where are you getting these statistics? are these 18-21 year olds? are you looking at what % of voters were millenials instead of the sane way to look at it which is the participation rate of millenials? literally everything i've read shows a 50% turnout of all potential millenial voters in november.

https://ww2.kqed.org/lowdown/2016/11/14/how-millennials-voted/

quote:

Of the estimated 24 million people under 30 who voted in the 2016 presidential election, a large majority supported Hillary Clinton. But Clinton received notably less support from young voters (18-29) than Barack Obama did in 2008 and 2012, particularly in the crucial battleground states she lost to Donald Trump.

That’s according to an analysis of 2016 exit poll data by the Center for Information & Research on Civic Learning and Engagement (CIRCLE), a nonpartisan research organization at Tufts University. (And yes, we acknowledge the irony of putting faith in any kind of polling data after the monumental failure of most pre-election polls in predicting the winner this year. More on that in a minute.)

About half the number of eligible voters between the ages of 18 and 29 (whom we’ll refer to as “millennials,” although millennials also include people in their early-to-mid-30s) cast ballots in this election. That rate falls well below the estimated general voter turnout rate of roughly 58 percent. About 55 percent of those millennial voters supported Clinton, as compared to the 60 percent who supported Obama in 2012, according to CIRCLE’s analysis. Conversely, youth support from Republicans remained relatively constant: Trump got about 37 percent of the youth vote, roughly equivalent to what Mitt Romney received in 2012.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

C. Everett Koop posted:

yes she's beating the visiting auto workers as we speak

with what

or at what

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Lastgirl posted:

with what

or at what

Some sort of cyberpunk electro-mace if her outfit is anything to go by.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

comedyblissoption posted:

where are you getting these statistics? are these 18-21 year olds? are you looking at what % of voters were millenials instead of the sane way to look at it which is the participation rate of millenials? literally everything i've read shows a 50% turnout of all potential millenial voters in november.

https://ww2.kqed.org/lowdown/2016/11/14/how-millennials-voted/

i'm only talking about the primary dingus

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
everybody votes in the general but nobody votes in the primary, like how nobody votes for gov, rep, senator, mayor, local delivery man, milk man, water boy,

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!
"Millennials don't vote" is technically true but also kind of meaningless by itself given that "young people don't vote" has been consistently true since the 1970s.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Gyra_Solune posted:

the worst possibility of Trump and possibly his entire administration going down Nixon-style is that Hillary Clinton, sensing weakness in the party, figures she could win, this time, in 2020, after all the guy in charge wasn't even elected by the people!!!

she would lose to Paul Ryan, she would lose to Orrin Hatch, she would lose to Mattis since I don't think that dude would be prosecuted with the rest of the administration.

and you just know clinton isn't going to have the good grace to wholeheartedly support whatever Sanderista possibly beats her in the primary. Obama's one thing, he was half-shill already in private, but a genuinely anti-corporate candidate? Hillary would just leave and say nothing about the election and theoretically even sabotage it to try and prove a point that Only She Can Win, for some kind of demented 2024 run

We need to print up and frame all the posts that make 2020 predictions this detailed. Just a single frame for this first one, and the rest can be taped end-to-end so that they could be folded up into a stack and carried from place to place on top of it like 1980s printing paper. As 2020 goes by, we can write circles and X's on all of the posts in red ink. Then on November 5, 2020 we'll anoint whoever makes the highest score as the prophet for 2024.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

lizardman posted:

Here she looks like Khan when they found him after being stranded on Ceti Alpha V for 15 years.

Khan did nothing wrong.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

logikv9 posted:

everybody votes in the general but nobody votes in the primary, like how nobody votes for gov, rep, senator, mayor, local delivery man, milk man, water boy,

I was called in on a double on the Texas primary and the boss explicitly forbade anyone to take even a couple hours off work to vote in it. It was either take a sick day--which nobody could afford really--or work another day as our woke-rear end Hillary supporter department head smugged all day as she won the primary despite 3/4ths of the rank and file supporting Sanders if not Johnson.

The day after the election he gathered all the middle management together and had a name-and-shame of black employees who stayed at work all day because that's when they had to work according to the schedule.

These have been two anecdotes about voting in Texas as a working class person.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

About 55 percent of those millennial voters supported Clinton, as compared to the 60 percent who supported Obama in 2012, according to CIRCLE’s analysis. Conversely, youth support from Republicans remained relatively constant: Trump got about 37 percent of the youth vote, roughly equivalent to what Mitt Romney received in 2012.

Almost 10% of millennials voted third-party?

Is that awesome or terrifying

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

wizard on a water slide posted:

it means people are becoming more and more dissatisfied with the two parties and are sick of voting for the lesser evil

also keep in mind that the electoral college by its very nature disenfranchises people in many states so you might as well vote whatever there. drawing a conclusion based on national polling when most people dont live in narrow states is disingenuous. such faulty conclusions are hand-wringing over people voting third party, hand-wringing over how many people don't vote, or hand-wringing about how your candidate lost despite winning the popular vote. the last one is particularly stupid because there is no popular vote. a lot of people don't show up or vote third party because they know their vote matters extremely little.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

gtrmp posted:

"Millennials don't vote" is technically true but also kind of meaningless by itself given that "young people don't vote" has been consistently true since the 1970s.

I was going to say this. The complaints aren't singling out millenials; it's been a problem for a long rear end time.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Willie Tomg posted:

I was called in on a double on the Texas primary and the boss explicitly forbade anyone to take even a couple hours off work to vote in it. It was either take a sick day--which nobody could afford really--or work another day as our woke-rear end Hillary supporter department head smugged all day as she won the primary despite 3/4ths of the rank and file supporting Sanders if not Johnson.

The day after the election he gathered all the middle management together and had a name-and-shame of black employees who stayed at work all day because that's when they had to work according to the schedule.

These have been two anecdotes about voting in Texas as a working class person.

Where....where the gently caress did this happen? That is awful.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

gtrmp posted:

i wonder what could have happened between 1968 and 1973 that would have discouraged young people from voting

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
The crewed flights of the Apollo program?

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

wizard on a water slide posted:

it means that millennials did nearly half as well at voting for a 3rd party as all adults did for Ross Perot in 1992. Let's not make this seem like some sort of revolution.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

logikv9 posted:

great answer if that meant that bernie garnered awesome millennial voter turnout, which he didn't

unless of course, this means that he did not appeal to them

probe this fool for primary chat

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
young people don't vote because poor people don't vote.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

Shinjobi posted:

Where....where the gently caress did this happen? That is awful.

According to Forbes magazine we're one of the best employers in Texas lmfao

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

o'malley would have won

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Willie Tomg posted:

I have never felt more hatred towards upper-class liberals than when I started working in a company run by them

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

usaa lol

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
this is a very long week of visiting auto workers

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Lastgirl posted:

this is a very long week of visiting auto workers

it was fake news

Who could've imagined the OP was a Russian spy?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Willie Tomg posted:

forbes magazine or forbes blog platform

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Maybe millennials don't vote because they are the working poor? And the working poor has the hardest time making it to the polls?

It's like when rising healthcare costs are blamed on the young, healthy, succulent millennials not buying insurance. They aren't exactly raking in the dough and suffered most from sky-high tuition so why offset healthcare costs by using the poorest of the working class?

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

If they want healthcare, maybe they should skip buying that cellphone :smug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeBQC7h37DQ

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Vote by mail or early vote. It was easy for me, a white male earning above the median income. They must be lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
i came here to post

"TO TELL THEM TO GET BACK TO WORK am i rite??"

thanks, enjoy the buffet

• Locked thread