Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
two days to vote starting NOW *gunshot*
This poll is closed.
Zorba the Greek 4 18.18%
I Claudius 4 18.18%
The friend of the family of the Narcissus 4 18.18%
The Conference of Birds 10 45.45%
Total: 19 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis,

quote:

I'd heard of Zorba the Greek, in the way that the classics of modern literature totter into the subconscious even without being read or studied. It was only while holidaying in Greece in summer 2010 that I bought a tatty, overpriced Faber edition from a small bookshop in Athens as I waited for the boat to Heraklion, the main port of Crete where Nikos Kazantzakis, the book's author, was born and is buried.

The novel tells the story of the narrator's friendship with a lively 60ish-year-old lover, fighter, adventurer, musician, chef, miner, storyteller, dancer ... the occupations are endless. This is Zorba, described by the narrator as "the man I had sought so long in vain". They spend a year on Crete together, Zorba managing the lignite mine that the narrator is financing as a project to bring him into closer contact with working-class men, whose honest, simple lifestyles the narrator admires but cannot emulate. It is a tale of Zorba's seductions, most memorably of Madame Hortense, the heavily made-up, big-buttocked, ageing courtesan who offers the two men hospitality and a little more, and of the narrator's melancholy "life-and-death struggle" to write an account of his Buddha while waiting for Zorba to return from the mine and make his supper.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2011/aug/14/zorba-greek-nikos-kazantzakis-summer-readings

I Claudius by Robert Graves

quote:

I, Claudius (1934) is a novel by English writer Robert Graves, written in the form of an autobiography of the Roman Emperor Claudius. Accordingly, it includes the history of the Julio-Claudian Dynasty and the Roman Empire, from Julius Caesar's assassination in 44 BC to Caligula's assassination in 41 AD.

The 'autobiography' of Claudius continues (from Claudius' accession after Caligula's death, to his own death in 54) in Claudius the God (1935). The sequel also includes a section written as a biography of Herod Agrippa, contemporary of Claudius and future King of the Jews. The two books were adapted by the BBC into an award-winning television serial, I, Claudius.

In 1998 the Modern Library ranked I, Claudius fourteenth on its list of the 100 best English-language novels of the 20th century. In 2005, the novel was chosen by Time as one of the one hundred best English-language novels from 1923 to present.[2]

The friend of the family of the Narcissus by Joseph Conrad

quote:

The work, written in 1896 and partly based on Conrad's experiences of a voyage from Bombay to London, began as a short story but developed into a novella of some 53,000 words. As it grew, Conrad began to think of its being serialized. After Smith Elder had rejected it for the Cornhill Magazine, William Ernest Henley accepted it for the New Review, and Conrad wrote to his agent, Garnett, "Now I have conquered Henley, I ain't 'fraid o' the divvle himself!" Some years later, in 1904, Conrad described this acceptance as "the first event in my writing life which really counted".[6]

In the United States, the novel was first published under the title The Children of the Sea: A Tale of the Forecastle, at the insistence by the publisher, Dodd, Mead and Company, that no one would buy or read a book with the word "friend of the family" in its title,[4] not because the word was deemed offensive, but because a book about a black man would not sell.[7]

The Conference of the Birds or Speech of the Birds (Persian: منطق الطیر‎‎, Manṭiq-uṭ-Ṭayr, also known as مقامات الطیور Maqāmāt-uṭ-Ṭuyūr; 1177), by Farid ud-Din Attar

quote:

is a celebrated literary masterpiece of Persian literature by poet Farid ud-Din Attar, commonly known as Attar of Nishapur.

In the poem, the birds of the world gather to decide who is to be their king, as they have none. The hoopoe, the wisest of them all, suggests that they should find the legendary Simorgh, a mythical Persian bird roughly equivalent to the western phoenix. The hoopoe leads the birds, each of whom represent a human fault which prevents man from attaining enlightenment. From the many birds that begin the journey, only thirty birds are left that finally reach the dwelling place of the Simorgh. There, the birds see the Simorgh in the reflection of their faces of an implicit lake.[1][2]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
You can vote for more than one! But if you vote, and the book you vote for is chosen, please participate in the discussion. Thanks!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
drat fine selection this time around; but only one of the options is Joseph Conrad, so he gets my vote.

TheManFromFOXHOUND
Nov 5, 2011
The Conference of Birds sounds really cool, and I'll probably read it even if it doesn't win. Does anyone know of a good translation of it?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

TheManFromFOXHOUND posted:

The Conference of Birds sounds really cool, and I'll probably read it even if it doesn't win. Does anyone know of a good translation of it?

It came up in Lit thread a bit ago and the only recommendation was the Penguin translation. I'm also curious to see if there are any additional recs.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I'm voting for Conference of Birds because for some reason I find myself writing young adult adventure stories set in medieval Persia. i was planning to do some serious research soon, and it looks like the time has arrived. It's also folklore from an unfamiliar source, which is always good.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

mllaneza posted:

I'm voting for Conference of Birds because for some reason I find myself writing young adult adventure stories set in medieval Persia. i was planning to do some serious research soon, and it looks like the time has arrived. It's also folklore from an unfamiliar source, which is always good.

there's certainly no better reason to read old poetry than this

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
i am honestly bewildered that the birds won, go fig

ill get a thread up soonish

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

mllaneza posted:

christ

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

which version should I for my kindle, this or this?

edit: from the preview it looks like the first link is a prose translation. there's also a new translation from 2017, maybe I should go for this one instead?

ulvir fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

ulvir posted:

which version should I for my kindle, this or this?

edit: from the preview it looks like the first link is a prose translation. there's also a new translation from 2017, maybe I should go for this one instead?

don't get the $2.00 (or 1.99 or whatever) kindle version, it's the same as the one of the free public domain versions. the new translation is supposed to be good (but i haven't read it), the amazon kindle version is https://www.amazon.com/Conference-Birds-Attar-ebook/dp/B01HDSU0G0/

the penguin classics one (the paperback of the first link) is the one i have, and the one that was recommended to me

there's an illustrated one by peter sis that iirc is more of a "retelling" than a strict translation but is supposed to be pretty to look at

• Locked thread