Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

My friends and I are planning a backpacking trip to Glacier National Park in Aug 2018. I am a complete rookie in terms of backpacking, as I have never done it. I'm out of shape and completely lacking in proper gear for such a venture. I am completely aware that a week-long trip is no joke, and do not intend on ruining the trip for the other 3 people. So to handle that, I am working out with a co-worker 4 times a week, doing cardio, and working to lose weight. I am trying to go for long walks to get my legs and feet adjusted to the grind of walking long distances. i have gone camping and hiking, and can do a 12 mile hike in a day without any issues, though I'm sore the next day, obviously a problem for a multi-day trip. My friends and I are also planning day-hikes and weekend trips where we intend to wear the backpacks, learn where they chafe, break in boots, do dry runs of setting up/tearing down the tents, etc.

I know I need proper gear for this, meaning a backpack, tent, various bits and pieces, and good hiking boots. However as I am new to this, I could use some pointers and directions to help avoid wasting time or money on garbage. So I have a list of questions I would appreciate some answers for.

I saw the thread about backpacks and will check it out, is there anything missed there I should be aware of?

Is there a good checklist for gear anywhere that would be a good baseline to follow, obviously I can google and find a million of them, but one people here would approve of? Budget is not too big of an issue, I am white collar and can budget to spend a bit for quality gear when needed, especially with a year and a half to prepare.

Other than "leg day" are there specific exercises that are recommended for helping prepare for backpacking? We do all of the normal leg day stuff: squats, deadlifts, calf raises, weighted step-ups, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Sounds like you've got a good plan of attack. Getting in shape and collecting the gear, for sure the first step. Also getting out and hiking, no better way than that. Next you might want to start hiking more often, and for longer hikes. It would probably be good to go with more different people also, to learn how different folks have their system. You can add things like foraging, fishing, or even hunting, which will make you more connected with the activity, and of course it is always nice to come home with something to eat. After that you'll likely want some alternate gear, maybe even make some of your own. Hmmm, maybe you should push the trip back to 2019, since it would really be nice to try different systems in different seasons. That way your gear and your skills will be more well rounded and prepared for whatever the weather brings. Hopefully you're feeling stronger and more skilled by now, it feels good to increase the limits of what is possible. Perhaps you can offer to be an assistant scout master in your local troop. No better way to learn than to teach. Gosh, might need to push the trip back a bit further. By now you will hopefully be finding your true physical limitations, nothing like nature to humble us. Soon this will lead to the inevitable confronting of your own mortality, and the inescapable decay of our bodies as we age. You may not be able to go as far or as fast as you could a few years ago, but finding the edge of the possible is still grand. By the time your twilight years bring you face to face with the end, you should be able to look back and see that all you needed to get started was to take that first step. Welcome hiking friend.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

i have been consulting with a Zen master on the art of hiking while meditating so that i only experience the silence of nature. eventually i will ascend to taking the great pacific trail and hike to hawaii

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Nature isn't silent, unless you are deaf?

Also is your backpack fitted properly by somehow who knows what they're doing? Is the weight on your hips or your shoulders? It should be completely on your hips.

And work on your core as well as your legs, and be mindful about whether you have good posture.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Woodrow/Hugh Jackman: *Approaches the tree of knowledge*

Epitope/Mayan defender: Heeeeeeeya!

Woodrow: *Flashes Buddha nature*

Forgive me First Father! I did not know it was you!
*Offers dagger*

meselfs
Sep 26, 2015

The body may die, but the soul is always rotten
By far, the most testing experience associated with this sort of outing is keeping yourself busy when traveling to the location. Try loading an MP3 player (make sure to get one with at least 2 GB) with comedy shows, classical music, books, etc. Pair that with good quality headphones and you'll be fine! Not me though, I get a headache after a couple hours of that + speeding on windy roads.

I hear some people have friends and they have a way of entertaining each other while on the road, you could try that too.

Serious: I think the single best thing to throw money at (if there is money to throw) is a high quality hydrophobic down sleeping bag.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003
people think backpacking is complicated and daunting but it's pretty simple

1. stay warm
2. shoes
3. if you get lost don't get lost lost

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Curious of the route. Is it a well established trail, or will there be route-finding involved? If the latter, make sure your navigational skills are up to snuff.

It's always good to practice route-finding anyway to exercise your brain. There's significant research into lack of spatial navigation or reliance on GPS and atrophy of the hippocampus.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

You'll learn more and discover more problems that need fixing by going on a backpacking trip, even just an overnight one, than you will by doing anything else.

Where do you live? I think worry less about leg day, make a first attempt at your gear, and then go on an overnight trip. See what works/doesn't and iterate from there. Your Glacier trip is more than a year away so you have plenty of time to get at least a few overnight or weekend trips this summer.

My advice on gear is to simply accept that you are going to make a lot of bad purchases until you get an opportunity to try things in the field and figure out what works for you. Sites like backcountry and moosejaw and stores like REI will let you return stuff even after you use it (as long as you don't total it), so take advantage of that.

If you really want a list something like this should be fine, just with more food/fuel.
https://backpackinglight.com/00234-2/

As far as exercises go, don't neglect going on hikes/backpacking trips that at least approximate the distance you plan to cover. No amount of cardio or weight training will stop your feet from crapping out on you if you try to do a 60 mile trip and have never hiked more than 10-15 mile day hikes with rest in between.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
Make sure you know how to adjust your backpack and why/when to do so.

As stated already, but it needs to be stated over and over keep the weight on your hips, if it shifts to shoulders you're going to have a really bad time.

Keep your feet dry, unlike me who is an idiot.

Make sure you have paper maps and know how to use them, also supplement with GPS if you need to (not a bad idea, the Gaia app on iOS/Android is great).

• Locked thread