Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Captain Invictus posted:

Yeah, but like the place had a counter for appraisals and stuff, and I showed them some examples of what I had, I think they just didn't want to deal with me because I had a box full of stuff rather than like two rings and some earrings to look at. I'll investigate gemologists or whatever to hopefully get some appraisals set up.

Yeah, that's definitely odd, when my mom died I took her jewelry to a small jewelry store in a nearby town that I knew of, they looked through the jewelry for a small fee (maybe $25 or so). About half the jewelry was "meh, almost worthless", the rest was "wow, distribute this between the heirs", one piece was "yow, you're luck you got this one!". Try sending them some good pictures of the loot in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Theres the chance that since they (generally) have to report by piece to law enforcement for anything they buy they didnt want to write it all up if its a big box of tiny things.

But also yeah thats weird

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Places that specialize in diamonds genrally aren't that good at colored stones. You can try a local gem and mineral club or gem show for IDing. Don't try doing ID via photos online, the only people who will answer are the type of people who are too unqualified to realize they cannot do that from a photo. Don't use a presidium tester either, those are garbage.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just sell it to a fence.

Sure you'll only get a fraction of the value but at least you can just dump it all on them no questions asked and not need to worry about any of the boring details.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
honestly some of it I just want to know WHAT it is. there were multiple gold pocketwatches, and a rotting box full of jewelry and valuables buried amidst things from the 1800s(my stepdad's great great grandparents) including gold hairpins and what look like solid gold mechanical pencils? the "mechanical pencils" I am more curious about what they are than just offloading them.

I apologize, this isn't exactly the thread for this, but it's stuff I've always been curious about but haven't yet found someone to take a look at because it's entirely outside my area of familiarity.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
I found a pair of boots today. They're blue

Captain Invictus, the things that look like pencils are almost certainly pencils. Edit: here's a site with more information. https://fs.wp.odu.edu/dwittkow/victorian-propelling-pencils/

InediblePenguin has a new favorite as of 22:18 on Nov 24, 2023

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
The pencils are definitely lead holders. I'd ask in the fountain pen thread about them, there are writing implement experts there

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

honestly some of it I just want to know WHAT it is. there were multiple gold pocketwatches, and a rotting box full of jewelry and valuables buried amidst things from the 1800s(my stepdad's great great grandparents) including gold hairpins and what look like solid gold mechanical pencils? the "mechanical pencils" I am more curious about what they are than just offloading them.

I apologize, this isn't exactly the thread for this, but it's stuff I've always been curious about but haven't yet found someone to take a look at because it's entirely outside my area of familiarity.

Watches you can put on a reddit and ask about, i am sure you can get an answer and its worth checking because some are worth a lot

Tunicate has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Nov 24, 2023

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Captain Invictus posted:

If you open the back of the watch, you should see the interior, mechanical bits. These should have a serial number of some kind, (and also tell you the number of jewels). It might also be stamped with the purity of the gold. Googling the serial number and "Waltham" should get you pretty far in IDing it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
alright, thank you. and the mechanical pencils are apparently Victorian Gold-Filled Pencils which is a bit disappointing value-wise but still nifty.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Yeah look for marks and if you see GF or RG then its plated essentially. And plating has been around for a whiile.

Still very pretty pieces

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
this:

it's a 1964 oster blender, the rare june cleaver autograph model. i picked it up in a 2nd hand store for about 25 bux and used it like a woodchipper for a decade. it went through about a dozen sets of blades but the beast never let me down. it would still fire up and grind hard today.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

dee eight posted:

this:

it's a 1964 oster blender, the rare june cleaver autograph model. i picked it up in a 2nd hand store for about 25 bux and used it like a woodchipper for a decade. it went through about a dozen sets of blades but the beast never let me down. it would still fire up and grind hard today.

Unlike June herself.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Chitin posted:

Unlike June herself.

do not diss june, you monster

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

dee eight posted:

do not diss june, you monster

she is 13 years deceased...

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

Grassy Knowles posted:

she is 13 years deceased...

she lives in my heart and my blender

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

dee eight posted:

you should find a safer place to keep her than your blender, or at least a blender that isn't so efficient at decimating

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
I recently got a Concertmate 980 keyboard in great shape for extremely cheap, so I've been playing around and watching some intro level videos on youtube to learn some chords. I don't think my girlfriend likes it when I use the "applause" tones to cheer or boo the quality of her anecdotes though.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

dee eight posted:

Watch her spin round to a beautiful oblivion

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Chitin posted:

Watch her spin round to a beautiful oblivion

lmao

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I work at a thrift store, taking in donations, and we basically get first pick of anything that comes into the store. We still have to buy it, but if it's something that absolutely won't ever make it into the store (mostly because of vulgarity), we only pay 49 cents. I made a thread for the deck of fart-themed playing cards that I found (that inspired my recent name change and avatar), but we see stuff that's literal broken garbage, antiques worth hundreds of dollars, and everything in between.

I've picked up some decent stuff so far - a couple paintings with decent frames, a good winter coat for five bucks, a mug that says "Have a great day!" but when you tip it up, the bottom of the mug has a hand giving the middle finger, a Terminator/T2 dvd set, a zombie short story anthology from the 70s or 80s, and The Roswell Report Explained, written by the United States Air Force.

Also, whenever I find anything related to Pokemon, Minecraft, or Lego, I've got to at least consider it because I have nephews who love those things. I think one of them is going to be pretty excited at Christmas:

Those are all Pokemon cards, from what I can tell. I've noticed quite a few basic Energy cards, so I'm not expecting anything super valuable, but you never know!

Also, here's a big world map (that I didn't get):

And here are a couple of things I got for my sister that weren't going to make it to the store:

If I find anything cool or weird or interesting, I'll try to remember to take pictures and post about it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
You should absolutely take out anything holographic pokemon cards first and take photos to double check if there's anything crazy valuable. I bought a shoebox of pokemon cards at a rummage sale and it was almost entirely chaff, but there were 3 mint condition Shinies that I sold for almost $1000.

and same for magic cards, honestly. there are a lot, and I mean A LOT of MTG cards worth $50 or more(this page only lists regular cards, not foils or special releases), and an unsorted collection can often have 4 of a given card because that's the maximum you can put in a deck. And even the chaff can have commons and uncommons worth $10 or more, if it's a large collection it'll likely have dozens of them in there. One of the most famous examples is Rhystic Study, which is a common card, that is now worth $32 a pop(or hundreds for foil versions) and so people would suddenly find themselves with a box of commons that had a hidden half grand mixed in with the actual garbage.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Captain Invictus posted:

You should absolutely take out anything holographic pokemon cards first and take photos to double check if there's anything crazy valuable. I bought a shoebox of pokemon cards at a rummage sale and it was almost entirely chaff, but there were 3 mint condition Shinies that I sold for almost $1000.

Yeah, I'm planning on sorting through them on my day off and checking prices on anything that looks remotely valuable. I paid $15 for the whole box. If I end up finding something worth $1000, my manager said I have to give the store a donation of at least $100 (he was joking but I'll do it happily if I end up getting a thousand bucks out of this).

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Captain Invictus posted:

and same for magic cards, honestly. there are a lot, and I mean A LOT of MTG cards worth $50 or more(this page only lists regular cards, not foils or special releases), and an unsorted collection can often have 4 of a given card because that's the maximum you can put in a deck. And even the chaff can have commons and uncommons worth $10 or more, if it's a large collection it'll likely have dozens of them in there. One of the most famous examples is Rhystic Study, which is a common card, that is now worth $32 a pop(or hundreds for foil versions) and so people would suddenly find themselves with a box of commons that had a hidden half grand mixed in with the actual garbage.

It's worth noting that they've been printing MTG cards for nearly 30 years and I wouldn't even want to estimate the total number of cards printed. Yes, it's possible to find some great stuff - but it can take forever until you know just the very basics of what to look for. Even basic lands (literally the most common thing ever printed) can go for anywhere from thousands of dollars (exceedingly rare) to literally nothing (the vast, vast majority) - and everywhere in between.

I've thought about doing it, and I know MTG cards pretty well, but it would take a ton of time and.....I dunno.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
send them to me I'll go through them for you :twisted:

but yes there've been literally like 25,000 different magic cards printed(and I believe that only counts unique cards and doesn't include alternate arts etc) so it's wild to think about what could possible be worth something and the rare cases of absolute trash that are worth something due to a stupid rare variant or error.

Captain Invictus has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Dec 9, 2023

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
With alternate art, printings from different versions, and printings for things like tournament prizes the number rises to just shy of 50,000 unique cards. As someone who used to value cards and collections professionally (15 years ago when it was literally 2/3rds as difficult) I'd be happy to help you confirm if you find anything valuable. Just brace yourself because any super-high values you find might be halved right off the bat if the cards are in played state.

Still worth doing though, I doubt your niblings would really get $2k of enjoyment out of a $2k card

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I sold my collection decades ago, but it would likely be worth low-mid 6 figures by now if I'd kept it. Multiple P9 sets, 50+ duals (including lots from Beta/Unlimited), full playsets of things like Juzam Djinn, etc. I can't even remember all of the minor stuff in there I had just because I thought it was cool (full playset of Thunder Spirits as an example). I got ~$8k in mid-2001 for it, but I needed a car.

Quadramind
Dec 8, 2011

This my mug for killing policemen.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The thrift stores in my area have a lot of 100% wool men's sweaters to choose from for $7 - $14 apiece and I've never been cozier.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

New with tags from 1993 and fits me pretty decently. I also picked up some nice, basically new, Brooks Brothers blazers and other officewear for real cheap, but that is less fun.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The family did some thrift store shopping, and I actually picked up some stuff, which I consider a victory.

(The first one is actually from Bandcamp Friday, but it came in at about the same time, so I'm including it in this shot that I did for another post.) The second thrift store had the Roy Orbison album, which is one of my wife's favorite musicians. I sent her a snap while she was watching our kid play with the toys there, and she asked me to pick it up for her. The other four were all from the first thrift store. I, like most people, had No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom" (actually, my brother had it, and I took his CD collection when he moved out and left it all behind). I only have "New" from this release, but from an Amazon mp3 download. I like to replace those with CD copies if I can, so that's why I have that.

The two Metallica CDs actually made me say "gently caress yeah!" when I saw them. They're the last two I needed/wanted, besides the first album, and maybe S&M. I had to take the black album/self titled album out of the jewel case in order to get something of a picture of it. And finally, Dragonforce because why the gently caress not? I have "Through the Fire And The Flames" from way back when Guitar Hero 3 came out, and it was another case of having the mp3 from Amazon. I'm going to force myself to listen to the whole album though, even the DVD bonus disk.

Not pictured, but I also got "The Muppets" (2012) on bluray, for my kid and myself. I also picked up roughly 20 Dr Suess books for her, since they're my favorite things to read to her. At least the rhymes in there keep you, the parent, interested (try reading "Fox in Socks" sometime for a challenge). I also picked up a kid's marble maze sphere for her, so she has one like dad does.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Inhuman Rampage blew my mind in middle school I probably still know all the lyrics to every song. Good choice

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Fifty Farts posted:

Also, here's a big world map (that I didn't get):

The World Map of Turin

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

IUG posted:

The family did some thrift store shopping, and I actually picked up some stuff, which I consider a victory.

(The first one is actually from Bandcamp Friday, but it came in at about the same time, so I'm including it in this shot that I did for another post.) The second thrift store had the Roy Orbison album, which is one of my wife's favorite musicians. I sent her a snap while she was watching our kid play with the toys there, and she asked me to pick it up for her. The other four were all from the first thrift store. I, like most people, had No Doubt's "Tragic Kingdom" (actually, my brother had it, and I took his CD collection when he moved out and left it all behind). I only have "New" from this release, but from an Amazon mp3 download. I like to replace those with CD copies if I can, so that's why I have that.

The two Metallica CDs actually made me say "gently caress yeah!" when I saw them. They're the last two I needed/wanted, besides the first album, and maybe S&M. I had to take the black album/self titled album out of the jewel case in order to get something of a picture of it. And finally, Dragonforce because why the gently caress not? I have "Through the Fire And The Flames" from way back when Guitar Hero 3 came out, and it was another case of having the mp3 from Amazon. I'm going to force myself to listen to the whole album though, even the DVD bonus disk.

Not pictured, but I also got "The Muppets" (2012) on bluray, for my kid and myself. I also picked up roughly 20 Dr Suess books for her, since they're my favorite things to read to her. At least the rhymes in there keep you, the parent, interested (try reading "Fox in Socks" sometime for a challenge). I also picked up a kid's marble maze sphere for her, so she has one like dad does.

Black and white night is a good listen. His voice is still strong on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tabasco_hijikata
Apr 12, 2024

Can you weaklings handle tabasco?

Made from tabasco peppers, vinegar and salt.

Tabasco products are sold in more than 195 countries and territories, and packaged in 36 languages and dialects.

LooksLikeABabyRat posted:

Just found my second pair of Allen Edmonds. Brown Cliftons. They were $8, definitely need to be professionally cleaned up and a few scratches fixed up, but they're structurally good.

My last pair was a black Fifth Avenues that I got married in after I took them to a cobbler.
Here's the before for those:

and the after:

That's awesome. Allen Edmonds is top quality. Lasts me for years.