Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i literally do think that microsoft opted for the ubuntu collaboration on the windows subsystem for linux because they too realize that ubuntu is sort of poo poo, and it helps no real competitor in any real way when they implement it

I assumed they are partnering with canonical because red hat and suse turned them down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
hey guys check out our awesome Android er, Linux compatibility layer!

(it is actually cool though, I'll give you that. Even if running everything as pid 0 gives me the heebie jeebies. Also its /proc is some bizarre /proc that is so deficient that it cannot support ps and yet it still exists, but see above)

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

i haven't looked at the windows 10 bash in awhile. i can actually open windows stuff from bash now! looks like it's getting better.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if it means you can toss out cygwin I'm all for it. of course you shouldn't be doing real work on a windows machine but sometimes you have no choice.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if you're using posix you aren't doing real work

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

mostly pointlessly so, needed to be posix-compliant to be possible to sell to the us government
this is also why apple built its own version of unix (A/UX) in the late-1980s

burning swine
May 26, 2004

The Management posted:

if it means you can toss out cygwin I'm all for it.

god drat right, obsoleting cygwin should qualify them for some kind of nobel prize in slaying lovely software

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i literally do think that microsoft opted for the ubuntu collaboration on the windows subsystem for linux because they too realize that ubuntu is sort of poo poo, and it helps no real competitor in any real way when they implement it

there's no such thing as a "real competitor" to windows

The Management posted:

if it means you can toss out cygwin I'm all for it.

amen

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

all this is just a ploy for linux users to say they finally made it to the desktop

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
GPL is free software tankies

windows for linux subsystem is pretty useful

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

atomicthumbs posted:

GPL is free software tankies

:same:

"software must be free as in speech not free as in beer" is something said by no consumer ever, it's a question that should be debated by policy wonks and not by people making products for other people

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
gpl is free as in speech except you must agree to only speak in these ways I've specified

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

I assumed they are partnering with canonical because red hat and suse turned them down
Ubuntu is the most popular cloud VM guest and ~cloud is the future~

So I'm pretty sure 90% of this comes from the Azure arm of MS, which has a bit of an independent mandate.

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
I mean redhat/centos suck as far as most cloud technologies go, they've just monetized better by selling to dumb people.

the lovely answer is that OSes are mostly a solved issue and that monitoring Linux is always gonna be hard.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Punkbob posted:

I mean redhat/centos suck as far as most cloud technologies go, they've just monetized better by selling to dumb people.

the lovely answer is that OSes are mostly a solved issue and that monitoring Linux is always gonna be hard.

centos is good and free

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

mishaq posted:

centos is good and free

it's kernel is still old and lovely.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

whats wrong with 3.10

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

hifi posted:

whats wrong with 3.10

if you are running docker or rkt there area bunch of fun features/bug fixes that haven't been backported and running it on centos can lead to some fun times.

also lol if you think that people deploy the latest version of centos 7.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

more like dockerdont

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

Sapozhnik posted:

look out here comes my compiz

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
bash on windows is pretty good because it means I don't have to gently caress with putty or cygwin to run ssh or grep or w/e

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Last Chance posted:

they're doing the lords work. i have a vm of this for fun and nostalgia

this guy fucks

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

GameCube posted:

this guy fucks

i started it up after i posted that and the vm doesnt boot anymore for some reason lol.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Punkbob posted:

if you are running docker or rkt there area bunch of fun features/bug fixes that haven't been backported and running it on centos can lead to some fun times.

also lol if you think that people deploy the latest version of centos 7.

thats true. to both of those

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

when did powershell get history searching

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

ShadowHawk posted:

Ubuntu is the most popular cloud VM guest and ~cloud is the future~

So I'm pretty sure 90% of this comes from the Azure arm of MS, which has a bit of an independent mandate.

pls post your sources

how on earth can ubuntu be more numerous than "amazon linux" aka centos

burning swine
May 26, 2004

hifi posted:

when did powershell get history searching

eons ago

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pls post your sources

2016 year of linux on the desktop

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

pls post your sources

In 2015 Ubuntu was about 2.5 times more common than Amazon Linux even if you only count AWS: http://www.zdnet.com/article/ubuntu-linux-continues-to-rule-the-cloud/

I can't find a more recent report, though Canonical's website still makes the claim that it's the most popular.

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

april fool's joke but just imagine the hilarious nerd rage if this actually happened

it would loving rule

Phoenixan
Jan 16, 2010

Just Keep Cool-idge
nerds already got mad about microsoft joining the linux foundation

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Sweevo posted:

apparently nobody told linux that its not 1998 any more and dumb window effects aren't a thing anyone actually wants

can I get a hot dog stand window wobble?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

my goth gf posted:

april fool's joke but just imagine the hilarious nerd rage if this actually happened

it would loving rule

My fellow Microsofties, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed a contract that will outlaw Linux forever. We will hostile takeover Canonical in five minutes.

• Locked thread