Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
If they don't have a better system for organized gaming I may just do a 1-day ticket next year (assuming it's in Philly). System wasn't terrible for people who had their own game crews they came with, but I didn't realize how much I depended on the ticketed games at Gen Con to actually have some structured gaming time when going solo. The closest PAXU came was their "learn to play" room which was often/usually fully booked.

I did the dealer hall on Friday afternoon and had no idea what to do after. If I was with others I could snag a game from the games library/classic cardboard room and play or play stuff we brought with us, but walking the aisles looking for games that need players was more of a pain than I really wanted to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thanks for the reviews. Good thing I didn’t decide to go. One of the things I constantly wondered was why I should go when I have a great group back at home and between the half dozen or more Game shops around here, we have plenty of choices wrt demo games.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
According to the convention center calendar PAX Unplugged is in Philly next year Nov 30th-Dec 2nd 2018.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Fellis posted:

Hopefully PAX gets the idea with event registration like a civilized convention next year, every Does anyone know what the omegathon games were? I can’t imagine it was boardgame/tabletop related aside from dexterity games or something and that’s lame.
Round 1 Junk Art
Round 2 Spot It
Round 3 Captain Sonar
Round 4 Wits & Wagers
Final Round Battleship

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

scott zoloft posted:

yeah what the heck was with al lthe dudes in skirts

Skirts are comfortable as all hell and a great way to show off some leg.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Somehow I am not convinced that most utilikilt wearers practiced leg day.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Kilonum posted:

Round 1 Junk Art
Round 2 Spot It
Round 3 Captain Sonar
Round 4 Wits & Wagers
Final Round Battleship

Lmao

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
lol

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008

LeSquide posted:

What about Wyrd's presence did you find lacking?

They were demoing their two games (one brand new, the other out for years) with unpainted plastic on featureless boards. At least prime stuff white and ink it so people can see the detail? It was just the most amateur thing. PP was there, too, with tablecloth, textured board, tons of terrain and fully painted models right next to them in the miniatures area. A friend of mine noticed, too.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I chatted with one of the main organizers yesterday afternoon and fixing tournament registration is 100% on their radar as a necessary improvement. Not sure what the plan is for next year yet, but they know it has to get changed.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Hello I had a nice time

It was cool to meet Fellis and Ilor and I guess that was you BlackIronHeart though I thought you were someone else but then I thought Fellis was someone else who I met at Gen-Con so really I am 0 for 32,827 when understanding what is happening. And I do not think anyone else used their GOON NAME or posted specific enough things here to make me know if we hung out, but I was delighted that everyone I spent any amount of time with seemed cool. Also if Carnifex-shirt-lass is a Goon (probably not) I am still delighted by your aggro anti-sexual-harassment jokes.

Speaking as someone who once managed to go to seven conventions in the span of a year and is still super-proud of that and thinks he is some goddamn bigshot convention critic man now, I was surprised how much PAX Unplugged basically felt like "Origins run by people who know how to use the Internet and actually have some concept of branding/marketing." Which is to say, that made it more fun than Origins from a casual perspective, but it was just a big space where people played games and you could maybe buy a few games.

This, mind, is precisely what many people were hoping for, so mission accomplished obviously. And I am glad there is yet another convention option for me to keep in mind as I continue my lifelong random migration around the country. But I am telling you...auctions. Auctions make the world go around.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I basically have the same complaints as everyone else. I just did a one day pass this year to test it out, and I'm kind of glad I did. My friends and I did the dealer hall, got lunch, then went back and bought anything else we wanted. We played some games outside the main rooms in the Convention Hall and used the Lending Library. Overall I had a great time, but it felt like I had a good time in spite of PAX. I left Gen Con this year having played a long list of new games and RPGs I'd signed up for, but I didn't have the same experience with PAX. A lot of the new games I came home with were either blind bought or bought after a brief demo. My group and I are going to go back next year (with a full weekend pass), but we've already decided that unless sign-ups for events change we'll probably call next year our last one and just keep doing Gen Con once a year.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

Dr. Quarex posted:

It was cool to meet Fellis and Ilor and I guess that was you BlackIronHeart though I thought you were someone else but then I thought Fellis was someone else who I met at Gen-Con so really I am 0 for 32,827 when understanding what is happening.

Yeah, sorry, I just use my actual name when meeting strangers from the internet because there's something wrong with my brain. But hey, at least I know good Indian food when I find it.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I was easy to identify because my poo poo talking is indistinguishable from my poo poo posting. :woop:

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Yeah, sorry, I just use my actual name when meeting strangers from the internet because there's something wrong with my brain. But hey, at least I know good Indian food when I find it.

Nah real names are cool and good irl, because otherwise when you’re in a mixed group (goon/non-goon) it weirds people out. Although it is nice to hear someone’s handle once so you can put a face to the [poo poo]posts

Although I sometimes use names and handles interchangably because i’m really bad at names but can remember handles for some reason

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I am lucky in that regard.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

BlackIronHeart posted:

Speaking of good Indian food, what places did you all you non-locals find outside of the convention center that you really liked? Might as well start compiling a list of goon-approved locations for next year.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Both indeblue and li'l Nonna's were fantastic. Also, I'm not 100% certain, but I got the sense that indeblue's Saturday Brunch had bottomless mimosas or some such, so let that factor into your equation.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Hunger Burger was good, the Reuben I got at Hershel's was excellent, and the roast pork from DiNiC's was sublime.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Did we lose any goons to a Beiler's Donut OD here?

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I took people out to two of my favorites in Chinatown, Nanzhou Hand Drawn Noodles and the pho place with the neon train in the window, which they seemed to like.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

I'll recommend that people go to The Rib Stand (sometimes also known as Glick's Rib Stand). It's right in the corner where Beiler's is. Best pork rib sandwiches around.

Lhet
Apr 2, 2008

bloop

Finally back home, it was cool to hang out and game with you all (I was the guy with glasses and a yoyo). Probably would have played several more full games with you all, but ended up often having only an hour or so at a time. Had a lot of fun overall, and found a lot of games to look out for. Location makes it a bit hard to get to, but definitely considering going again if I have a giant stack of vacation days again next year.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
I have some complaints but they were pretty minor compared to how much fun I had. Which was pretty much all because I met cool people, including goons. So thanks!

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
In case anyone is ignoring the survey email they sent out, you should take it. There is a question on it about how they should do event sign-ups in the future and online pre-reg was an option.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Maggiano's was excellent, food wise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Paging Dr. Quarex: Remember when we were talking about that game of globe-spanning, hyper-capitalist war-mongering and I couldn't remember the title of the game? Turns out it's "Imperial: 2030." SU&SD did a review of it, which you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CElzUejyO_Y

• Locked thread