Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Earlier this afternoon I noticed a couple of drives had disappeared from My Computer earlier, so I rebooted but on boot it just sat on "searching for drives" or similar. On restart it wouldn't let me into bios, the drive search happens first and I can't go any further. I took out all drives other than my ssd which is my boot drive, but still no good. I took out the ssd too and it booted to bios just fine. Does this sound like a dead ssd or dodgy HDD controller on the motherboard? The ssd is only just over 2 years and was working fine even when the drives had disappeared from My Computer.

I'm running 64bit win 7 ultimate, msi p965 mobo, q6600 at stock speed, 8gb ddr2 ram, crucial 256gb ssd, gtx 560 GPU, corsair rx650m. Everything has been very stable for a long time now until today. I'm in the UK.

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
If that is the Crucial M2, let the system sit in the BIOS for 20 mins. The SSD might be detected now. Common problem with the M2 series.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

redeyes posted:

If that is the Crucial M2, let the system sit in the BIOS for 20 mins. The SSD might be detected now. Common problem with the M2 series.

Thanks but it's a sata crucial mx100 series, plus I can't even get into bios with it plugged in

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
I left it all turned off at the wall for 3 hours or so, then thought to switch sata port on the mobo. Lo and behold, it fired up, although the boot was rather weird in that at the "detecting drives" bit it still said no drives found, but proceeded to boot anyway. In windows, it detected and installed the drive as new hardware. Does that suggest it's the motherboard that's on the way out, or still not enough info to tell?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yes, it sounds like the board is failing.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Alereon posted:

Yes, it sounds like the board is failing.

Thanks. Are there any diagnostic programs or tests I can run to check the ssd and motherboard? A new motherboard would mean a new system so I don't want to do that if it's the drive that's dying

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lungboy posted:

Thanks. Are there any diagnostic programs or tests I can run to check the ssd and motherboard? A new motherboard would mean a new system so I don't want to do that if it's the drive that's dying

You could connect the SSD to another computer (or use an enclosure) and see if it's accessible.

You diagnose motherboard failings by process of elimination. It's not completely dead but if all the disk drives work elsewhere and you've tried different ports/cables then it's pretty safe to assume the SATA ports/controllers have an issue.

Probably not the issue but you did try multiple SATA cables too right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
No, I don't have any spare sata cables at the moment.

• Locked thread