Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer
RIP FISHMAN

quote:

José Ángel Nájera Sánchez (January 6, 1951 – April 8, 2017) was a Mexican luchador or professional wrestler best known under the ring name Fishman. Fishman was one of the top wrestlers in the mid-1970s and 1980s and worked for Empresa Mexicana de Lucha Libre, the Universal Wrestling Association, the World Wrestling Association and Asistencia Asesoría y Administración in Mexico as well as frequent trips to Japan and the United States. Nájera was unmasked after losing a match in 2000 and retired shortly afterwards. Three of his sons are all luchadors enmascarados (masked wrestlers) known by their ring names Black Fish, El Hijo del Fishman and El Único de Ciudad Juárez.

quote:

Nájera was born on January 6, 1951, in Torreón, Coahuila, Mexico, with his family relocating to Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua, while he was still very young. At an early age his mother and aunts would bring Nájera along when they would watch lucha libre shows at the local Torero de Cuartro Caminos bullfighting area from the time he was nine years old. During his formative years Nájera cited both Black Shadow and Blue Demon as his idols, favoring the rudos (lucha libre term for those that portray the bad guys) of the era over tecnicos (the "good guys") such as El Santo.[2]

At one point in time Nájera was married to María Dolores González, a luchadora who worked under the name Lola González but the two have since divorced.[3] It has not been confirmed if González is the mother of three of Nájera's sons that have all followed him into a career in lucha libre. Nájera's sons are all enmascarados (masked wrestlers) and as such their birth names are not revealed per lucha libre traditions.[4] While it is not uncommon in lucha libre for wrestlers to license their names to wrestlers who pretend to be second generation wrestlers,[Note 1] it is believed that Black Fish, El Hijo del Fishman and El Único de Ciudad Juárez are all Nájera's biological sons.[5]

quote:

The Apuestas match would mark Nájera's retirement from lucha libre, although he did make a couple of special appearances in subsequent years, one in 2011 in Japan teaming with Black Tiger and Itoku Hidaka, losing to Original Tiger Mask, The Great Sasuke and Mr. Cacao.[43] He also worked on the "Villano III 40th Anniversary show", teaming with former UWA Headliners Dos Caras, Scorpio Jr. and Villano III to win the main event match over Negro Navarro, Rambo, Sangre Chicana and Villano IV.[44] Following his retirement Nájera helped his youngest son make his pro wrestling debut in 2008 after first introducing the world to El Hijo del Fishman during his final Luchas de Apuestas match.

His oldest son originally worked as "Fishman, Jr." but in 2007 he changed his name to Black Fish. His son was born out of wedlock and when his other son wanted to use the name Nájera decided to take back the rights to the name. His oldest son decided to sue for the rights to the name but ended up changing his ring name to Black Fish instead, using a black version of the mask his father made famous.[41] A third son works as El Único de Ciudad Juárez.[5] Hijo del Fishman sometimes teams up with El Canek Jr. to form a team known as Los Nuevos Asesinos del Ring, playing off the past history of the name between Fishman and El Canek, and at times joined by El Hijo del Medico Asesino. Nájera died on April 8, 2017 of a heart attack.[41] It was noted that Nájera had looked frail in his last public appearances.[45]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

RIP FISHMAN

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Is that FISHMAN death photo gross du

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

JiveHonky posted:

Is that FISHMAN death photo gross du

Yeah they tore off his luchador mask and he died, that's their secret weakness.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Hes sleeping with the fishes now

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

FISHMAN PODER (do your mom)

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

Honky Dong Country posted:

Yeah they tore off his luchador mask and he died, that's their secret weakness.

I guess he's flying off the top rope of the devil's wrestling ring into a fiery pit of spikes in hell.

God bless u FISHMAN.

a shiny rock
Nov 13, 2009

:rip:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

żQué vas a hacer, hermano, cuando la manía de Fishman está corriendo sobre ti?

A: Nothing because he is dead and there is no danger.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 10, 2017

olaf2022
Feb 19, 2003
Fun Shoe

I will best remember him for his role in the development of Mega Man 2

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

rip fesh meng

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Thirsty Girl
Dec 5, 2015

the natural aptitudes of the fish, with all the advantages of being also a man....

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

FISHMAN TAKES ORDERS FROM NOBODY

AQUAMAN IS A BITCH

JiveHonky
May 12, 2001

by zen death robot
Grimey Drawer

FISHMAN TAKES ORDERS FROM NOBODY

AQUAMAN IS A BITCH

Exactly

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Aquaman was like "Yo Fishman toss me a beer"

Fishman wasn't having it though, ain't taking no poo poo off some rear end in a top hat and his weak rear end fish-commanding powers and his refusal to call it cerveza like Fishman's Tecate is a motherfucking bud light or some poo poo.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Aquaman was like "Yo Fishman toss me a beer"

Fishman wasn't having it though, ain't taking no poo poo off some rear end in a top hat and his weak rear end fish-commanding powers and his refusal to call it cerveza like Fishman's Tecate is a motherfucking bud light or some poo poo.

I was following along until that last bit

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I was following along until that last bit

I'm just making it up as I go along man. I worked with a Mexican guy when I was with a plumbing company and he got super pissy about just calling mexican beer brands beer instead of cerveza. He was otherwise an extremely cool dude but we loved to give him poo poo about it. Tecate was his preferred brand.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

I've never actually watched any luchador stuff, where would I begin?

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

500 good dogs posted:

I've never actually watched any luchador stuff, where would I begin?

netflix has lucha underground right now which you might like because it has some American wrestlers too

Or if you wanna see the cool old lucha culture stuff instead of wrastlin' there's the Santo movies, which are basically Mexican Batman vs stuff like werewolves and Frankenstein's daughter

If you wanna see actual live US shows Lucha Va Voom is pretty cool as an intro too if you're not sure you wanna go full into watching wrastlin'

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
So long and thanks for all the fishman.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Dear Jesus,

Good work on the drummer but will you please call up the rest of Phish soon?

Thx

Mermaid Autopsy
Jun 9, 2001

Another gym rat gone before Keith Richards :dukedoge:

RIP Fishmech

Neukoln19
Oct 27, 2005
au revoir, ameego

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Coolness Averted posted:

netflix has lucha underground right now which you might like because it has some American wrestlers too

Or if you wanna see the cool old lucha culture stuff instead of wrastlin' there's the Santo movies, which are basically Mexican Batman vs stuff like werewolves and Frankenstein's daughter

If you wanna see actual live US shows Lucha Va Voom is pretty cool as an intro too if you're not sure you wanna go full into watching wrastlin'

Thanks!

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wonder what lucha masks smell like when you take them off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Like faces get pretty greasy on their own so it's gotta be pretty bad right

• Locked thread