Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who shall we play as?
This poll is closed.
The Good Guys! (Federation) 14 14.58%
Space Fascists (Cardassians) 39 40.63%
Space Bankers (Ferengi) 17 17.71%
Space Mongol Horde (Klingons) 17 17.71%
Easy Mode (Romulans) 9 9.38%
Total: 96 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Who will respect us if we let the ktarians go without punishment by hiding under the skirts of the ferengi. It would give the false impression that we are scared of them or even worse that we can be bought. I say we go ahead with the legate's plan. I am sure we can show the Ferengi what happens should they continue to thumb their noses at our justified outrage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
This new information means we need to be on a war footing as fast as possible. More destroyers are required.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know
Citizen of Cardassian, you know where I fall on this deicision. We must fight not for the lost souls but for the future of our people!

(I wonder if we can't use our Intel to undermine them as well as a direct assault? I haven't seen much subterfuge used in these games and I since we are Cardassian is seems like something we might want to focus on.)

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

CHARIZARD used SMOKESCREEN
It doesn't affect GEORDI THE BLASTOISE!
Agreed. Immediately divert all resources in our union towards subjugation of the Ktarians.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Burning_Monk posted:

Citizen of Cardassian, you know where I fall on this deicision. We must fight not for the lost souls but for the future of our people!

(I wonder if we can't use our Intel to undermine them as well as a direct assault? I haven't seen much subterfuge used in these games and I since we are Cardassian is seems like something we might want to focus on.)

(Intelligence is only useful against Major empires, not minor races)

Let us speed the construction of our Glorious Fleet and mete out Justice!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
Unfortunately, Intel is only actually useable against Major races. My references to the Order in this case are just fluff.

edit: As far as warfooting, if you want to suggest a more heavily altered queue for Cardassia go ahead.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

I'll reiterate my previous suggestion to the council that we not dilute the industrial output of our homeworld by diverting manpower from our power facilities to research centers that have yet to be built. Instead, build additional factories and put our excess manpower to work there.

Rather than use our colony ships as cannon fodder for the ktarian orbital battery, might I also suggest that, due to the urgency of the situation, they be scrapped of their raw materials and used to purchase warships immediately? I submit the idea to our financial department for viability.

We may only have a few short weeks to conquer Ktaria. The mysterious "Ferengi" may already be mulling full membership for them. Should that happen our next moves will be much more complicated.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Miles McCloud posted:

I'll reiterate my previous suggestion to the council that we not dilute the industrial output of our homeworld by diverting manpower from our power facilities to research centers that have yet to be built. Instead, build additional factories and put our excess manpower to work there.

Rather than use our colony ships as cannon fodder for the ktarian orbital battery, might I also suggest that, due to the urgency of the situation, they be scrapped of their raw materials and used to purchase warships immediately? I submit the idea to our financial department for viability.

We may only have a few short weeks to conquer Ktaria. The mysterious "Ferengi" may already be mulling full membership for them. Should that happen our next moves will be much more complicated.

I like this approach!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Miles McCloud posted:

It could get simpler. If we can sucker the Ferengi into declaring war, we can probably steamroller them if...

We build swarms of destroyers.

Cimbri
Feb 6, 2015

mllaneza posted:

It could get simpler. If we can sucker the Ferengi into declaring war, we can probably steamroller them if...

We build swarms of destroyers.

Pretty sure that requires being able to reach them, I don't think we have the range. Anyway I support the transition to full conquest.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

Cimbri posted:

Pretty sure that requires being able to reach them, I don't think we have the range. Anyway I support the transition to full conquest.

On that note, if we went to war with the Ferengi they would be able to reach us with their ships, due to their alliance with Ktarians. I shouldn't have to explain how this strategic imbalance would be an unwise move for Cardassia.

This further undercuts the importance of the issue - likely, we will come into conflict with them at some point, and we want to be in control of Ktaria when we do.

Should the Ktarians receive full Ferengi support, they will have to be our first priority war target for strategic as well as honor reasons.

(The Ferengi in this game are not a joke and will absolutely wreck your poo poo if you aren't careful.)

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Given we have not yet made diplomacit contact with the Ferengi, if we don't run into any of thier ships in range while we engage the Ktarians there would be no diplomatic fallout.

Also, we should send at least one Scout along with our assault fleet - it's superior sensor ranges will help let us know if an enemy fleet comes to support the Ktarians as well as be fodder against the orbital batteries.

And do /not/ send the colony ships in with the fleet, they take far too many resources to build to use them as just weapons sinks and they have far too weak shields to be effective fodder.

It is /likely/ that an early game minor race will have between two and four ships. A Ktarian ship seems to slightly outgun one of our Destroyers, so theoretically three Destroyers and one scout should be able to take whatever garrison fleet they have with losses and then hopefully have enough force leftover to bombard the planet.

Depending on the population three transports should be sufficient to conquer it unless the Ktarians have fully terraformed thier planet.

Otherwise, I vote for war footing immediately, the use of colony ships already built to colonize target systems/terraform Mintaka.

Unfortunately for us having to go on an early war footing, but we cannot tolerate an unknown force that has the strategic range to threaten our systems. We must take out their support quickly and otherwise occupy the system.

(Also, to get a minor race on Affiliation this early on the Ferengi must have thrown a lot of credits into them - it's rare to have an Affiliation so quick early game)

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

Miles McCloud posted:

(The Ferengi in this game are not a joke and will absolutely wreck your poo poo if you aren't careful.)

In nearly every game I've done where they aren't tkaen out early the Ferengi are almost always the most powerful of the Empires by late game. Thier economy is INSANE and thier ships are durable. What makes them dangerous is how cheap thier ships are and how easy the Ferengi make money, so they cna purchase and buy things ludicrously fast, make tons of money with trade routes, buy out more minor races, build more stuff..

They are terror.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Got BotF and my saves migrated over to the new computer, so that's good. Since you felt that the Colony Ships were too valuable to deploy as cannon fodder, what about diverting them to Mintaka to terraform the remaining planets there? Also, deleted the Colony Ship from the Cardassian queue to get our Destroyers started quicker.

As for switching from Research to Industry, I'm really hesitant to ignore a vote that already happened, but since we're switching to a warfooting...
if there's an overwhelming push for it I might go ahead and do it. Depends on how you guys feel about that.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Feel like the colony ship should def divert to Mintaka. If fast built fodder is needed, we can use Scouts. We're going to a war footing and unless we're going to get some improvements or new ships ASAP (I don't remember the tech tree nor what research state we're at).. Cardassia's really our only big industrial center atm. And only place that can do more than self-sustain itself. Getting our colonies up and running will take decades if we're not purchasing stuff.

So put me down for having our colonial ship terraform mintaka, then hit another big target to drop and colonize after. I feel like our war goal should be to take Ktaria and then fortify it and presume we're going to encounter the Ferengi very shortly thereafter if not during, so we want to take it ASAP befor etey get drawn into the war.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Per the Council's ruling our Transports are heading directly for Sirius. In the meantime our Colony Ships are heading to uplift our Mintakan brethren by way of terraforming the uninhabited planets in their system.

Additionally, construction of the Research facilities in Cardassia has been temporarily suspended, pending the construction of our invasion fleet.

We are sparing no expense, paying for rushed construction of our next vessels. I must add, the Obsidian Order has taken it upon itself to offer a bribe to several Ktarian officials. This is obstensibly a gesture to improve relations between our peoples, however the Order being what it is, this is actually a delaying tactic. The hope is that with the prospect of improved relations with our people the Ktarians may not be in such a rush to join hands with these so-called "Ferengi". (In all seriousness, with the way the Ferengi throw around credits, I seriously doubt we could have gotten a fleet there soon enough otherwise)

This is 1 week of construction on our Outpost. We've built 2 Destroyers and they are currently in a fleet with our remaining Scout ship. An additional Troop Transport is en route from Cardassia, to speed up construction and aid with the invasion of Ktaria.

Following construction of our Outpost, our fleet made directly for Ktaria. We encountered only 1 vessel, the Subterfuge, the vessel responsible for the destruction of the CDS Traveler. Our small fleet of 3 warships dealt with her with little difficulty. Only after our ships arrived over their home system did we send the Ktarians our official Declaration of War. No sense giving them time to prepare.

Our vessels are now poised to strike.

Success! The Ktarians have fallen before the might of the Cardassian Union! And what do these violent savages have to say for themselves?

Pleas for mercy, how pathetic, truly we have done them a great service. They will rise to greater heights under our guidance than they ever could have on their own.

It would seem the Ktarian civil population is not pleased with our presence. The Order has already sent in Inquistors and Deep Cover agents to root out dissidents and other potentially disruptive elements. Once the Ktarians are broken of their stubborn disobedience, what then?

Cardassia's construction queue stands empty, the Mintaka system is currently undergoing terraforming and the Ktarians have been brought to heel. What say you Goontapa Council, what road lays ahead for our burgeoning empire?

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Ktaria should have it's morale stabilized. At the point it is stabilized, a colony ship (presumig an available one is not immediately tasked to settlement after Mintaka is finished) should be sent to terraform the remainder of the planets.

Research on Cardassia should be expanded as per our initial plans. Our two Destroyers should be kept in orbit of Ktaria as it is likel that we will enounter these 'Ferengi' in short order to defend the system.

Our Scout should be sent to continue exploring - to the west we will encounter the Ferengi inevitably, so it is the call of the Admiralty as to whether our scout encountering the preemptively is worth the risk if more planets are in sensor range or our exploration range is better.

For now, expansion and industrialization shoudl be our priority. We want to take as many prime systems as possible for colonization, expand our research and industry. After we've expanded research on Cardassia I'd like to get another scout out if possible and then alternate on colony ships and expanding the system's infrastructure.

Polly Toodle
Apr 21, 2010

We should take a moment to honor our fallen brothers that perished bringing order to the lawless. But this is a glorious day for our people indeed! We must immediately hold tribunals in Ktaria, to teach these people how fortunate they are that it is we that conquered them, not some other less civilized empire. When they have saw the light, we need to purchase structures to replace the buildings lost in the orbital bombardment. We want to get their shipyard operational again (assuming it still stands?) and for that we'll need additional power generators. Ktaria's longterm focus should be on intelligence gathering, as the people seem to have a talent for that.

Send our warfleet to the red giant galactic south of Ktaria, let us see what is nearby our newly acquired territory. The destroyers should be more than capable of scouting a system or two before returning to Ktaria to maintain order, and their additional firepower will prevent another incident like that we suffered at the hands of our barbaric new workers.

Cardassia's first construction order should be to build a colony ship to settle Sirius. We already have an outpost in that sector, and its potential industrial output stands to rival our homeworld's if properly developed. The Ktarians will no longer trouble us, but my contacts in the military inform me that there is already a faction developing among their people that cries for the "Ferengi" to destroy us. We haven't met these people yet, but our actions on Ktaria will surely bring us to their attention. We want our potential border region to be well guarded.

After that, I concede to the council that research facilities be constructed in Cardassia to occupy our idle populace.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Now that the queue has been upended by our conquest, I think Cardassia should be used for a production powerhouse first while some of our colonies get the research duties. It looks like we have enough credits to even buy some research buildings on other colonies, to at least get that moving? I'm not sure if it's really the case in this game but in other civ-likes having your capital be a production power tends to give a nice snowball effect. If we can pump out colony ships/teraformers/etc faster that probably gets us the ability to have tech up and running quickly enough while also having other advantages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Something about bribing people to hold still while you conquer them feels very Cardassian.

• Locked thread