Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Have people been following all the recent little live things they've been putting out? Its been really sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I legit just spent a week on death’s door with a fever that was stuck at 103.5 and a ton of hacking up lung.

And after that, Pinch Me still makes me happy in a “yep, that sums up my depression” type way.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I saw them and they phoned the cancer-ridden member of the team and the crowd went wild! He was, all thanks, everyone!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Anyone else been really enjoying their Selfie Cam Jams?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
https://youtu.be/rtOkAYGw8IQ

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Anyone else been really enjoying their Selfie Cam Jams?

The bands covid stuff in general has been really nice. The little facebook sessions (ed replied to one of my comments once 😍)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

DC Murderverse posted:

Also I don't give a poo poo if it's April this is the best christmas song there is. If you'd like evidence of BNL's harmonizing abilities, this is exhibit A1. (with bonus Sarah McLachlan for extra Canadianity!)

It still bugs me that she comes in late.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Old Apartment loving rules.

They nail a lot of stuff. I’m gonna hang out with a Canadian friend and we’re gonna have a ton of BNL on.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Why did steven leave and why is ed not good?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Who is this Steven Haters guy and why is he not invited? :v:

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
After going back and listening to every BNL album, I am surprised to say that the best Jim song is "Paul Chambers".

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I’ve been on a BNL kick for a few days. Started at Stunt and I’m going backwards through their discography. After that I’ll go Maroon forwards until I hit the Steve-less era. That’s when BNL dies for me

Are there any good full concert recordings on Youtube? Kinda craving watching the full experience with all the banter and improv songs and stuff. Rock Spectacle only barely scratched the itch. Bonus if it’s from around the Stunt/Maroon era

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 27, 2021

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I answered my own question, here’s hours of gold:

1996 - https://youtu.be/dhz7jkWE4fw

1999 - https://youtu.be/3RwKc5NchTQ

2001 - https://youtu.be/0vI8ybp6tIw

2004 Christmas concert - https://youtu.be/OLTXUdwW5G0

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Talking of Christmas, their holiday album really blows

20 tracks and like... 3 are good (and one of those is a Hannukah song)

A huge chunk of the rest are borderline unlistenable novelty instrumental versions of Christmas songs played on silly instruments

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
The only bare naked ladies album I’ve listened to all the way is snack time, which is ok. I got to find out what Gordon lightfoot and geddy lee’s favorite snacks are (pasta and bbq potato chips)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I love this a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9882TB9nLo0

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Hedrigall posted:

Talking of Christmas, their holiday album really blows

20 tracks and like... 3 are good (and one of those is a Hannukah song)

A huge chunk of the rest are borderline unlistenable novelty instrumental versions of Christmas songs played on silly instruments

I find the Ed and Steve duet on Auld Lang Syne to be weirdly moving, especially now that the band seems to be on good enough terms that they've reunited once.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

We 3 Kings was fine but McLachlan is noticeably late on the chorus and it throws me every time I hear it

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

flakeloaf posted:

We 3 Kings was fine but McLachlan is noticeably late on the chorus and it throws me every time I hear it

IIRC it was recorded backstage at a concert so they weren't exactly doing a ton of takes.

The band proper ended when Steve left. All In Good Time was a perfectly fine album. The rest have been the sort of output you'd expect from a 90s one hit wonder band that still technically exists. Steve's voice and songwriting is what set them apart. The new stuff is perfectly pleasant but dull.

I was hoping more joint appearances, if not a tour, might happen after the Junos reunion but sadly that hasn't happened. Steve's solo shows are incredible though.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

zakharov posted:

Steve's solo shows are incredible though.

Seriously. You can tell how much he loves singing and man is he good at it. Semi-relatedly, he's been doing weekly "Live From Home" shows since a bit after the pandemic started, and while virtual shows aren't really my thing I'm still on his LFH mailing list so I see the odd gif or whatever. He looks super happy these days, it's really cool.

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Jan 15, 2022

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Listening to Maroon all the way through for the first time in years. It's great stuff

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Re: Maroon: I've found that it's great for putting on for long drives etc where I don't want to be fussing around skipping tracks or suffering through something like "I Know," but it doesn't have any real stand-out songs for me. Which is weird because it's like 95% Steven but the world is a mystery :shrug:

you'll come around, past me

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

Listening to Maroon all the way through for the first time in years. It's great stuff

you'll come around, past me

It’s especially great for long drives when Tonight is the Night I Fell Asleep at the Wheel comes on.

I’m not allowed to pick the music for road trips anymore.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Cemetry Gator posted:

It’s especially great for long drives when Tonight is the Night I Fell Asleep at the Wheel comes on.

:lmao: I can understand a passenger becoming disconcerted by this, yes.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

:lmao: I can understand a passenger becoming disconcerted by this, yes.

I think I pushed the line too far with There Is A Light That Never Goes Out and Kiss Them For Me.

ObiwanSeanobi
Jun 30, 2023
Love a BNL thread.

My parents had "Stunt" on CD, one of only a few cd's in the collection, so that's an instant nostalgia bomb for me.

I saw Steven Page with an orchestra and one guitar player, on BC day in Victoria a couple years back. He sounded amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Cemetry Gator posted:

I play this on the uke specifically to annoy my wife, who hates sad songs on happy instruments.

Maroon really is a masterpiece and it's probably not a coincidence that it's almost all Steve songs. No shame on Ed but the band misses Steve's songwriting a ton.