Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The next Apes movie is going to be super interesting, because there have been a billion postapoc movies but precious few about like, after the flood and actually building a society. What are they gonna crib from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The next Apes movie is going to be super interesting, because there have been a billion postapoc movies but precious few about like, after the flood and actually building a society. What are they gonna crib from?

It's pretty loving cool that they've built a trilogy of prequels and now find themselves having to top the original POTA, which is almost flawless and is still amazing. They'll have to take a different tract somehow and they've laid the groundwork so I'm confident they'll at least do better than Burton but how do you top the original? And what sort of stunner can you come up with for an ending?

I'm drawing a blank and really glad I don't have to write it.

Usually, they tend to remake original film and if it hits, work forwards and backwards from there. I honestly can't think of another remake/franchise where they started out with a prequel, let alone a trilogy, but it's quite novel and these films have been great. Very interested to see what they do.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm hoping the fourth movie is like the original novel and the apes live basically as we do today technology-wise.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm guessing in real-life they don't build weapon-depots next to snowy mountain ranges.

Man, I wish the Albino gorilla was a good guy since you so seldom see them in any media.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jul 30, 2017

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
The claim that Nova killed the Colonel is functionally wrong because the Colonel misunderstands what's happening to the humans. Yes, some of their basic faculties like speech have been lost, but that doesn't mean what's made her human has been lost. It's not like Nova is just a complete animal. She's learns sign language pretty quickly, but beyond that she has maintained her humanity. In a lot of ways War is the first Apes sequel to get back to the message of the first film. The twist of the original movie isn't just that it was Earth all along. The twist is that the villainous apes aren't responsible for the dehumanization of humanity. Humanity did it all itself. In War, it's not the apes or even James Franco's disease that has destroyed humanity. It's fear, war, and hatred.

I think the thought of a fourth film is an interesting one. Honestly, up to this point, I feel like it's pretty easy to say that a version of the first film still happened as was depicted. The thing War introduces that really throws a wrench in this is the introduction of Nova and Cornelius in this film which somewhat suggests that we're supposed to assume that if or when the original story is retold, you won't get the big time jump.

I think the most interesting thing they could do is depict the fractures and segregation of ape society that we saw in the first film. Introducing Zaius as a villain would probably be a good move and make a good foil for a Cornelius trying to protect his father's legacy under the guidance of Maurice.

There's also the fact that the whole premise of the film gives an explanation for Beneath's mutants. It would be really fun if the next movie is just a Beneath remake and the new series remakes every movie besides the new ones.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Can I get a 4th movie as a Brat Pack type of high school setting equivalent to the 80s/90s with hip, funky, jock, babe and loser apes and when the subject of Ape Moses/Jesus comes up they're all snarky and such and the humans are janitors except one that's kind of a magical/supernatural/mysterious type that's cool and helps the kids to achieve their goals and dreams?

"Caesars Christ, why'd you crash my Dad's Iron Horse into the river?"
"I don't have my license!"
"Ugh, you guys are so lame, I'm going to the dance with Brock. He's got a Porsche Horse 911."
"DETENTION ALL OF YOU! You need Caesar!"
"LOL, he never existed."
*magical human janitor waves his hand mysteriously so all get laid*

Gatts fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 30, 2017

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Someone mentioned upthread, I think, of the idea of the fourth movie being basically POTA from the perspective of the Ape culture, which I think would be interesting.

You could shift things around so that older Apes remember humanity with pangs of regret and sadness for what happened to them (they could keep human slaves, but in a "poo poo, they do lose their intelligence eventually, and we can't just let them go extinct" way), but the younger generation only knows their violence, and the plot basically asks which viewpoint survives.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I think the thought of a fourth film is an interesting one. Honestly, up to this point, I feel like it's pretty easy to say that a version of the first film still happened as was depicted. The thing War introduces that really throws a wrench in this is the introduction of Nova and Cornelius in this film which somewhat suggests that we're supposed to assume that if or when the original story is retold, you won't get the big time jump.

I think the most interesting thing they could do is depict the fractures and segregation of ape society that we saw in the first film. Introducing Zaius as a villain would probably be a good move and make a good foil for a Cornelius trying to protect his father's legacy under the guidance of Maurice.

There's also the fact that the whole premise of the film gives an explanation for Beneath's mutants. It would be really fun if the next movie is just a Beneath remake and the new series remakes every movie besides the new ones.

They don't have to change a whole lot with a remake but have to alter it enough to make it worth doing. I hope they avoid the stuff the original sequels did with all the underground mutants and poo poo. The foundation is already there (religion versus science, slavery, inequality, evolution, etc.) and they've done a great job setting it up with this trilogy.

Everybody knows the Statue of Liberty reveal so they have to come up with something different but equally as provocative. I'm sort of drawing a blank. Maybe set it in Egypt or something and have Taylor find the Sphinx.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Cornelius travels to a bizarre Planet of the Humans where humans are intelligent enough to rule over a barely cognizant slave race of apes, but doesn't realize it was Earth in the future until he finally overcomes his alternately hostile or curious human captors and rides into the Forbidden Zone to discover Mt. Apemore with Caesar/Maurice/Rocket/Bad Ape's faces on it.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

BiggerBoat posted:

It's pretty loving cool that they've built a trilogy of prequels and now find themselves having to top the original POTA, which is almost flawless and is still amazing. They'll have to take a different tract somehow and they've laid the groundwork so I'm confident they'll at least do better than Burton but how do you top the original?

The easy and obvious thing to do would be to flip the perspective. The Charlton Heston character is now a sympathetic villain rather than a rough hero.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The easy and obvious thing to do would be to flip the perspective. The Charlton Heston character is now a sympathetic villain rather than a rough hero.

That's good. Apparently it wasn't that obvious to me but, yeah that's loving perfect.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

If they were smart, they'd ape off the Image Comics book, The Humans.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

The fourth movie should be a remake of Alien3 where Taylor/Ripley crash lands with an alien egg on board and they have to unite to kill a gorilla alien

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

banned from Starbucks posted:

The fourth movie should be a remake of Alien3 where Taylor/Ripley crash lands with an alien egg on board and they have to unite to kill a gorilla alien

The big money is facehuggers and David on Pandora.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Do you think James Francos character will return in a future movie? It never really explained what happened to him and I think he could bring an interesting dynamic with his 'son' Ceaser.
Rises was great and Franco was a great casting call.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
James Franco is "God" to the Apes and Caesar is his "son"

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
James Franco's Disease makes me smile

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeah he'll definitely be back, no way was he in the 99.99% of humanity that died in the plague.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Maybe the end reveal in the POTA remake will be a big giant statue of James Franco?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Bring back his character but have him played by Dave Franco.

Violator
May 15, 2003

I was kinda hoping that we wouldn't see Caesar die at the end. Just panning out to the horizon like they do with with him alive and content -- even with the knowledge of his impending death -- would have been a little sweeter. We know he's going to die soon, but we can imagine it as a sentimental moment with his son and friends instead of showing his body slumping over. A nit-pick and probably just the "I don't want the well developed protagonist to die, maaaan!" talking, though.

It always really amazes me how scary Woody Harrelson is. As a kid I remember him on Cheers being a lovable goof, but between performances like this and Out of the Furnace he is someone I just look at and think "don't even talk to that guy, he could be dangerous." I need to look up some cheery interviews with on YouTube or something.

Edit:

He seems kinda intense (and drugged out) in every interview I can find of him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2c9G0U7beM

Violator fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Aug 1, 2017

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Woody seems like a cool dude, but he has a pretty intense background, his biological father was a murderer on death row and poo poo. I can't even imagine having to live with that kind of thing hanging over your family.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

They don't have to change a whole lot with a remake but have to alter it enough to make it worth doing. I hope they avoid the stuff the original sequels did with all the underground mutants and poo poo. The foundation is already there (religion versus science, slavery, inequality, evolution, etc.) and they've done a great job setting it up with this trilogy.

Everybody knows the Statue of Liberty reveal so they have to come up with something different but equally as provocative. I'm sort of drawing a blank. Maybe set it in Egypt or something and have Taylor find the Sphinx.
Look son, if you told me when I was ten that in twenty years there would be a remake of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and essentially a two part remake of Battle for the Planet of the Apes that are some of the best genre films to come out in the 21st century, I'd tell you that you were crazy. The mutants are sort of a sore thumb in the original series, but I think they actually would work pretty seamlessly into the current series. They would just be .001% of the human population who James Franco Disease worked as intended for. I think they also work as an interesting thematic extension to War. The mutants would be humans who have not only kept their faculties but had them increased only to lose their humanity regardless.

I think if they're going to retell Taylor's story, I think I would end it with him deciding to give and kiss adult Nova leading to him "de-evolving." The ultimate smug and entitled human giving in to nature and accepting the world doesn't revolve around him/humans.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

ruddiger posted:

Woody seems like a cool dude, but he has a pretty intense background, his biological father was a murderer on death row and poo poo. I can't even imagine having to live with that kind of thing hanging over your family.

Probably not that bad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

CelticPredator posted:

Probably not that bad.

Having your dad be a famous bank robber who was tangentially linked to the Kennedy assassination and one of the first prisoners in SuperMAX is probably cool as hell when you're 14.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

It's pretty cool long after that too

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Having your dad be a famous bank robber who was tangentially linked to the Kennedy assassination and one of the first prisoners in SuperMAX is probably cool as hell when you're 14.

That's rad!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

Look son, if you told me when I was ten that in twenty years there would be a remake of Conquest of the Planet of the Apes and essentially a two part remake of Battle for the Planet of the Apes that are some of the best genre films to come out in the 21st century, I'd tell you that you were crazy. The mutants are sort of a sore thumb in the original series, but I think they actually would work pretty seamlessly into the current series. They would just be .001% of the human population who James Franco Disease worked as intended for. I think they also work as an interesting thematic extension to War. The mutants would be humans who have not only kept their faculties but had them increased only to lose their humanity regardless.

I think if they're going to retell Taylor's story, I think I would end it with him deciding to give and kiss adult Nova leading to him "de-evolving." The ultimate smug and entitled human giving in to nature and accepting the world doesn't revolve around him/humans.

What are you on about now? Your post was sort of all over the place. Are you lecturing me or making a personal wish list? Or both? I can't really tell.

I liked someone else's idea of redoing the original with Taylor as the villain and viewing it through the lens of the apes' POV. That's an incredibly smart take on keeping it fresh while still paying homage and would render the remake as relevant to modern times as the original was to its own. Didn't someone mention that in Rise they set it up where a spacecraft got lost or something? Because I missed that if it was in there.

I need to go see this movie but for tonight I got my ape fix by renting Kong: Skull Island. I've heard mixed opinions.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

What are you on about now? Your post was sort of all over the place. Are you lecturing me or making a personal wish list? Or both? I can't really tell.
I'm saying that the super intelligent humans actually make sense since the whole inciting incident of the first film was about a virus that' originally makes humans smarter. And they'd support War's themes about what makes us human.

Not trying to be rude.

And also yeah, I think there's a news report about Taylor's mission and a newspaper article about losing contact.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

I'm saying that the super intelligent humans actually make sense since the whole inciting incident of the first film was about a virus that' originally makes humans smarter. And they'd support War's themes about what makes us human.

Not trying to be rude.

And also yeah, I think there's a news report about Taylor's mission and a newspaper article about losing contact.

I guess if you HAD to introduce the mutant underground poo poo that's a good way to go and approach it and it makes sense but, man, did that ever gently caress up Beneath the Planet of the Apes and ruin the awesomeness of the original for me when I was a kid first watching it. I could do without it, especially for what looks like a full on remake of one of the best science fiction movies ever made.

The remake is gonna be tough because the original still kicks so much rear end. They'll have to be really clever with it. They tried once and failed miserably. It's like trying to remake JAWS.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

I guess if you HAD to introduce the mutant underground poo poo that's a good way to go and approach it and it makes sense but, man, did that ever gently caress up Beneath the Planet of the Apes and ruin the awesomeness of the original for me when I was a kid first watching it. I could do without it, especially for what looks like a full on remake of one of the best science fiction movies ever made.
I get you, and I had a similar experience. Beneath is just a generic bad sci/fi movie that feels like it was made ten years earlier whereas the original felt revolutionary.

But part of what I was saying is that Dawn and War are basically a two part remake for Battle and they're amazing. I have enough faith in the series to see them spinning gold out of some of the ideas from Beneath.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony
I've been thinking about this a lot too, where do the apes go from here?

They don't have to go straight to remaking the original film, if this follows the original timeline at all we've got at least a thousand to two thousand years of ape history to explore. Personally I'd like to see a film about the Lawgiver and the creations of the apes religion. We've seen apes with very human failings and so I think there's a lot to be said in that subject matter.

I'd honestly rather see a new tv series, even a reboot of the old TV series than a remake of the original film. Essentially Two astronauts and a heretic ape exploring the remains of the earth, finding more humans and ape settlements while being pursued by the original apes. The CGI might be cost prohibitive for a TV series, I don't have any idea but could always adapt this premise to films as well.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Do you think James Francos character will return in a future movie? It never really explained what happened to him and I think he could bring an interesting dynamic with his 'son' Ceaser.
Rises was great and Franco was a great casting call.

James Franco almost certainly died of simian flu or was executed for crimes against humanity soon after the end of Rise.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

girth brooks part 2 posted:

James Franco almost certainly died of simian flu or was executed for crimes against humanity soon after the end of Rise.

Tellin you guys. The Big Reveal of the remake will be James Franco's head on the Sphinx or as Christ the Redeemer.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

The big reveal of the next movie will be that humans were apes all along.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Maybe Maurice is Franco is an orangutan suit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

The big reveal of the next movie will be that humans were apes all along.

In War, when Nova asks Maruice if she's an ape too, I was really hoping for a Kenobi-esque "from a certain point of view..." answer from him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I saw this last week and I left a little frustrated and disappointed by the movie. I know some of these fall into the "it was just a movie" category of nitpicks but I had issues with them none the less:

-I was constantly confused by how many apes there was. At the start it appears to be thousands, once they are captured it appears to be hundreds, when they escape it appears to be dozens, but at the end it then appears to be hundreds again.
-Caesars actions were just plain dumb. I know these were supposed to be explained away with the "he was blinded by anger/just like Koba" lines, but I don't buy it. You're going to take over an entire compound, kill the bad guys and rescue your people by marching through the front door with a loving shotgun? If you are blinded by revenge, you need still need to take some actions that are going to allow you get revenge. That's just one example, almost everything he does in this movie is idiotic.
-Koba's apes that joined the humans makes no sense. If they are so loyal to Koba's cause that they can't join Caesar why would they do the exact opposite of Koba and join the very people who he despised?

I also disliked how little detail we got from the human perspective in this movie. It was always split fairly evenly in the previous films but we didn't get a lot in the movie. I could have done with less silent roadtrip with Nova and included a subplot with some of the humans fighting under the Colonel (perhaps the soldiers from the beginning?) instead.

• Locked thread