Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

I sure hope most of you are familiar with "The Room" starring, directed, written and produced by Tommy Wiseau.

The second guy in the film, Greg Sestero, wrote a a book about his experiences with the production of the film and the poo poo he dealt with regarding Wiseau. Looks like it was taken and turned into a film - something that sounds similar to the approach Tim Burton went with the Ed Wood biographical film he did in the 90s.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3521126/

According to the cast list, James Franco is Tommy Wiseau and Dave Franco is Greg Sestero. It also stars a bunch of actors as themselves. Tommy Wiseau is also in it cameoing as some dude, so it sounds like the film was approved by him.

According to Wikipoopia,

quote:

On review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes, the film has an approval rating of 92% based on 12 reviews, with an average rating of 8.1/10.[28] Metacritic, another review aggregator, assigned the film a weighted average score of 82 out of 100, based on 7 critics, indicating "universal acclaim".[29]

At the film's initial screening at South by Southwest it received a standing ovation.[30][31]

Erik Childress of The Playlist gave the film a positive review writing: "It's James Franco's best performance since his Oscar-nominated turn in 127 Hours and as a director it is nice to finally seem him embrace the comfort zone of comedy with enough cameos to rival Robert Altman's The Player.[32] Peter Debruge of Variety also gave the film a positive review writing: "A genuine capacity to delight, whether or not the audiences in question have seen The Room".[33]

I dunno it might actually be a good film. No release date in the US as of yet.

You haven't seen The Room? the gently caress is wrong with you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Oh hi Mark

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Everybody betray me. I fed up with this wuh-ruld.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I have not seen the room

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

This is going to be awesome when it comes out Wiseau made his money in human trafficking.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

The Bananana posted:

I have not seen the room

You haven't seen the room? What are you chicken? Cheeeeep, cheeep cheep cheep?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

where did wiseau get his money from im just asking questions

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

where did wiseau get his money from im just asking questions

HIS money? Selling import jeans, according to him. Film's money? Some rich old lady in San Fran apparently likes him and gave him heaps of cash.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I respect wisrau more than I do Franco

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is going to be awesome when it comes out Wiseau made his money in human trafficking.

No, it's not true, don't even ask.... What's new with you?

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

The Bananana posted:

I have not seen the room

Me neither, what's it about?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Is James Franco the one who killed his wife?

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

Apoplexy posted:

HIS money? Selling import jeans, according to him. Film's money? Some rich old lady in San Fran apparently likes him and gave him heaps of cash.

Haha! What a story Mark.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

James franco and this whole crew are funny people and this movie will be good.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Apoplexy posted:

seems legit jeans and some old crone no you can't meet her i forget her name.

edit: yea gently caress it let's truth tommy wiseau lol

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I respect wisrau more than I do Franco

Leave your STUPID comments in your pocket!!

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Apoplexy posted:

What KIND of money???

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0eDrogZ7lA

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Volcott posted:

I'm p sure that's Patton Oswald

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

The computer business IS very competitive.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX
Movie's based on a book called The Disaster Artist. I recommend reading it and then acting like it was about OP and his poo poo excuse for a thread

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
look even worse than the room

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
hi doggie

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
*cheers when there are spoons or something idk*

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Dunno about you guys but it always kinda pisses me off when something independent is created, gets popular and then Hollywood actors and marketing execs try and be a part of it and it all turns to poo poo.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Odddzy posted:

Dunno about you guys but it always kinda pisses me off when something independent is created, gets popular and then Hollywood actors and marketing execs try and be a part of it and it all turns to poo poo.

Wiseau knew
Mods blew
Vilerat too

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
How is this movie not a meme teat yet?

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
I've read the book (very good, recommended) and I'm amazed Wiseau allowed it to be published and is okay with them making a movie of it. He seems like such a douchebag. And for the record, the most likely theory is that he inherited all of his money from relatives in Louisiana that he lived with after coming to the US from Poland.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

Friginator posted:

I've read the book (very good, recommended) and I'm amazed Wiseau allowed it to be published and is okay with them making a movie of it. He seems like such a douchebag. And for the record, the most likely theory is that he inherited all of his money from relatives in Louisiana that he lived with after coming to the US from Poland.

Statue of limitations ran out on the worst parts. He was involved in counterfit knockoffs. His rap sheets are still kicking around in Poland using his original name. He made it out and thats all that needs to be said on a "dead internet comedy forum". When you get big enough you can rewrite your history to be whatever you say it is. Case in point: Mark Cuban.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

tommy seems like a giant rear end in a top hat who really shouldn't be given what little celebrity he has

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

*throws a handful of spoons in the air*

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
the book its based on, The Disaster Artist, is great. Everyone should buy the ebook to hear Greg Sestero's Tommy impression.

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah
i would suk tommy wiseau dick

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

DICTATOR OF FUNK posted:

i would suk tommy wiseau dick

if there's anything i've learned, tommy only cums by grinding some blond girl's belly button with his aging cock

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Cool I was right thanks.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

wait nathan fielder lol

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

Seth Rogan plays the role of uncredited script supervisor for the Room, Sandy Schklair. Man I guess it does pay well to "supervise" terrible scripts for for terrible films. This biographical film is serious poo poo fo sho

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The best parody of The Room was the adventure game, found here http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/547307.

Don't just watch a let's play because everyone who let's plays the game is pure poo poo and don't seem to realize that the most awesome loving part of the game happens when you don't kill yourself at the end, at least at first. The 10 minutes that follows that took the game from absolutely loving hilarious to masterpiece.

Friginator posted:

I've never thought Wiseau was a douchebag in the typical sense.

He does douche things but only because he's not from this planet and doesn't understand our strange human ways.

Volcott posted:

No, it's a lie. He did not kill her, he did not.

Oh hi, Volcott.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 17, 2017

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

Hal_2005 posted:

Statue of limitations ran out on the worst parts. He was involved in counterfit knockoffs. His rap sheets are still kicking around in Poland using his original name. He made it out and thats all that needs to be said on a "dead internet comedy forum". When you get big enough you can rewrite your history to be whatever you say it is. Case ink point: Mark Cuban.

Statute of limitations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
So the movie is done and screening but it doesn't have a release date!?

I wonder if they're just going to do a digital release, it seems like that may be the better option for a wide release. The Room is a classic 'bad' movie but it's still a cult thing, they may be having trouble marketing it. The cast seems like a sure-fire comedy hit, normally they'd be hyping it up with teaser stuff but I wasn't aware it was even at SXSW.

The reviews seem good too, so it does seem like there is a bit of "Well we know this is good but what the gently caress do we do to get people to see it?" going on.

• Locked thread