Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HobbesDurden
Nov 7, 2011

Go ahead, Cornelius,
you can cry.
Looks like there isn't a thread yet for the NWSL, is there enough interest to make one relevant for SA or shall I be shamed for suggesting such a thing?

History of the League in 100 Words
Founded in 2012, the NWSL is run by the US Soccer Federation. It began play in 2013, since then it has had two expansion teams: Houston Dynamo and the Orlando Pride. It features a number of top women players from around the world, largely from the US Women's team. However it has a few other notable female pros. This season the league is adding Marta, the four-time FIFA Women's Player of the Year, as she will join the Orlando Pride once her season in Sweden completes.

NWSL Teams

* Boston Breakers
* Chicago Red Stars
* FC Kansas City
* Houston Dash
* North Carolina Courage - Prior to 2017, they were the Western New York Flash, they won the first NWSL Shield.
* Orlando Pride
* Portland Thorns - They are attended far better than other team in the league, drawing upon Portland's MLS team's fandom as well. They also won the NWSL shield in 2016.
* Seattle Reign - They won the NWSL shield twice and have consistently been one of the top teams in the league after a very disappointing first season.
* Sky Blue FC
* Washington Spirit

How to Watch?
Alright HobbesD, you've convinced me to check it out, but... how? How can I, living somewhere in the far reaches of America, tune in and watch them play?

Well, my friend, I have good news. This year the NWSL announced a broadcast partner. Don't worry, it's the sporting powerhouse: Lifetime Network. *Cue record scratch sound*

That's right, every week one of the games will be broadcast on Lifetime.

But wait, I hear you, that isn't enough? Let me slake your thirst: The rest of the league games will be streamed free on go90, a mobile streaming platform owned by Verizon.

HobbesDurden fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
:justpost:

No one is going to shame you for doing anything, we are all horrible monsters and no amount of women's football is going to change that.

You might wanna rally some of the yanks in the Emelless thread and see if you can give some info for a nice big fat informative OP, OP.

HobbesDurden
Nov 7, 2011

Go ahead, Cornelius,
you can cry.
Ha, fair enough. Well I'll keep posting updates or relevant links. I updated the OP with more league info.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Christine Sinclair is cool and good, I don't really know anything about this league.

HobbesDurden
Nov 7, 2011

Go ahead, Cornelius,
you can cry.

vyelkin posted:

Christine Sinclair is cool and good, I don't really know anything about this league.

This is the season for you to give it a shot and watch a few matches! Christine is good, she's a part of Portland who look strong this season.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
Wife got season tickets to the Houston dash last year. I knew I should have asked kelia ohai out before she hooked up with JJ Watt

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I am looking forward to watching Rose Lavelle nutmeg people on a weekly basis

HobbesDurden
Nov 7, 2011

Go ahead, Cornelius,
you can cry.

ayb posted:

Wife got season tickets to the Houston dash last year. I knew I should have asked kelia ohai out before she hooked up with JJ Watt

Ha, yeah, I've got a not so secret crush on Megan Mathias of the Seattle Reign. And season ticket holder here for the Reign, it's such a dramatic difference in atmosphere from the Sounders.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
How professional is the NWSL? Here in Aus we've got the W-league, and only the very very top couple of players are anywhere near professional. The rest are part timers and player every other women's sport at home an abroad

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
My understanding (and someone correct me if I am wrong) is that status in NWSL is split on whether you are a part of the USWNT and their union or not. If you are capped you are paid like 20k-30k per season, which over 6 months is generally just about enough to rent a place and eat and whatnot depending on the city. Non-USWNT players get half that salary or less, so they would be considered semi-pro.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tongues posted:

How professional is the NWSL? Here in Aus we've got the W-league, and only the very very top couple of players are anywhere near professional. The rest are part timers and player every other women's sport at home an abroad
Players make between 6K and $39,600. They're "professional" in the sense that they train full time, but the league has the same issue that early-days MLS had: players retiring young because they could make far money working a 9-to-5 job.

HobbesDurden
Nov 7, 2011

Go ahead, Cornelius,
you can cry.

Crazy Ted posted:

Players make between 6K and $39,600. They're "professional" in the sense that they train full time, but the league has the same issue that early-days MLS had: players retiring young because they could make far money working a 9-to-5 job.

A technical correction, as this season saw the player salary minimum raised to the much more (sarcasm) reasonable $15k. But what you said remains true: the Reign's captain of four seasons, Keelan Winters, retired after last season to become a firefighter.

It is indeed far from a fulltime top tier league, but the US has a history of women's leagues and this one is backed by our (and Canada's I think) soccer federations, so it's just about playing the long game and building up interest and building up the structure. The money they are getting this year from the Lifetime and Verizon (go90) partnerships seem to be impacting the league already - they are quadrupling the size of the league's office staff, among other things.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

My understanding (and someone correct me if I am wrong) is that status in NWSL is split on whether you are a part of the USWNT and their union or not. If you are capped you are paid like 20k-30k per season, which over 6 months is generally just about enough to rent a place and eat and whatnot depending on the city. Non-USWNT players get half that salary or less, so they would be considered semi-pro.

It isn't a clear cut like that, but USWNT definitely get higher salaries as I understand it. We also have some top tier international players who I am sure are getting higher salaries (there's no way Marta is coming on the shoestring salary.)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

HobbesDurden posted:

It is indeed far from a fulltime top tier league, but the US has a history of women's leagues and this one is backed by our (and Canada's I think) soccer federations, so it's just about playing the long game and building up interest and building up the structure. The money they are getting this year from the Lifetime and Verizon (go90) partnerships seem to be impacting the league already - they are quadrupling the size of the league's office staff, among other things.
Here's the thing: the women's soccer owners have the same problem that the WNBA owners have in that they feel the need to slash costs to the bone because they don't want to lose money on women's sports.

Here's the other thing: you're not going to make a profit on women's sports unless you can somehow draw 15K a game like the Portland Thorns. Either fund it all the way or just don't do it. None of this half-assed stuff where you're calling your players professionals but they could make more money being a cashier at a Wal-Mart.

HobbesDurden
Nov 7, 2011

Go ahead, Cornelius,
you can cry.
I don't disagree with you, but the issue is even more endemic. Look at the fight that is going on for various women's sports teams to get equal pay. The USWNT, winners of the World Cup, are still paid a fraction of the Men's Team who haven't come close.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

HobbesDurden posted:

I don't disagree with you, but the issue is even more endemic. Look at the fight that is going on for various women's sports teams to get equal pay. The USWNT, winners of the World Cup, are still paid a fraction of the Men's Team who haven't come close.

This is a patently false statement. Tier 1 US Women's players are paid a base salary of $72k by the USSF regardless of how many matches they play. US Men's players are paid $5000 per match. Only 3 men made more than the Tier 1 women in 2015. Now add in the NWSL salaries for women's players, as the league is an over $2m item on US Soccer's budget sheet, to get their true salaries.

Yes, overall USMNT players make more money than most of the women but that has nothing to do with the USSF, it's about popularity and the ability to generate revenue on a global scale that women's soccer is unable to do. Of course making the last 16 of the Men's World Cup is more lucrative than winning the Women's World Cup, it's simply economics.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

HobbesDurden posted:

The womens team should play vs the mens team for the right to be paid more. Like a Money in the Bank match in WWF. I wonder how many goals the women would win by.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

African AIDS cum posted:

The womens team should play vs the mens team for the right to be paid more. Like a Money in the Bank match in WWF. I wonder how many goals the women would win by.
Honestly that should be the World Cup Final. gently caress trophies - put 50 million bucks in a container, set it at the front of the tunnel, and tell the winning team that they get all of it.

HobbesDurden posted:

The thing is that those World Cup bonuses, which you're probably referencing, are based mostly on how much money the game brings in worldwide.

This isn't like women's tennis vs. men's tennis, where viewership and popularity is close between the sexes. Women's Football is pretty much a non-event outside of the US, Canada, and parts of Western Europe. Also Japan. I'm probably forgetting a country or two. For all the talent Brazil has, it wasn't all that long ago that women on their national team shaved their heads in protest at the way female football players were being harassed and treated by the public at home.

The WWC brings in something like 1/200th of the Men's World Cup in terms of broadcasting rights and sponsorship money. Of course the bonuses are going to be significantly lower.

Back to the NWSL itself...

I've never quite understood the steadfast desire to have one nationwide league. Most of the teams draw 4,000 to 8,000 a home game on a short schedule, so the cost of travel probably takes a lot out of the bank. You'd think they'd be better off having more teams in order to play mostly a regional schedule, even if that means accepting some lower-quality outfits.

And of course, trying to have one cross-country professional league has once again cannibalized other non-amateur leagues in the US and Canada.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Apr 19, 2017

HobbesDurden
Nov 7, 2011

Go ahead, Cornelius,
you can cry.

Shrapnig posted:

This is a patently false statement. Tier 1 US Women's players are paid a base salary of $72k by the USSF regardless of how many matches they play. US Men's players are paid $5000 per match. Only 3 men made more than the Tier 1 women in 2015. Now add in the NWSL salaries for women's players, as the league is an over $2m item on US Soccer's budget sheet, to get their true salaries.

Yes, overall USMNT players make more money than most of the women but that has nothing to do with the USSF, it's about popularity and the ability to generate revenue on a global scale that women's soccer is unable to do. Of course making the last 16 of the Men's World Cup is more lucrative than winning the Women's World Cup, it's simply economics.

So I completely botched my explanation, from citing the wrong pay stats, to failing to draw the line of explanation I was trying. I realize it's a matter of economics for the money and attention the teams bring, and I was poorly trying to illustrate that by highlighting the pay difference in the WNT and MNT.

Thanks for the clarification and correction.

HobbesDurden
Nov 7, 2011

Go ahead, Cornelius,
you can cry.

Crazy Ted posted:

Back to the NWSL itself...

I've never quite understood the steadfast desire to have one nationwide league. Most of the teams draw 4,000 to 8,000 a home game on a short schedule, so the cost of travel probably takes a lot out of the bank. You'd think they'd be better off having more teams in order to play mostly a regional schedule, even if that means accepting some lower-quality outfits.

And of course, trying to have one cross-country professional league has once again cannibalized other non-amateur leagues in the US and Canada.

Washington State has a small (men's) league "Evergreen Premier League" with clubs around the state. I still haven't made it out to see a game, but I do follow it online. I would love to see more of these sorts of leagues take hold and gain followings.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

HobbesDurden posted:

Washington State has a small (men's) league "Evergreen Premier League" with clubs around the state. I still haven't made it out to see a game, but I do follow it online. I would love to see more of these sorts of leagues take hold and gain followings.
The W-League basically played in regional pods and had an open system where teams could be amateur, semi-pro, or pro based on how money they wanted to spend or how rich the owners were. Of course, once the NWSL showed up it lasted one more year and folded.

HobbesDurden
Nov 7, 2011

Go ahead, Cornelius,
you can cry.

Crazy Ted posted:

The W-League basically played in regional pods and had an open system where teams could be amateur, semi-pro, or pro based on how money they wanted to spend or how rich the owners were. Of course, once the NWSL showed up it lasted one more year and folded.

Huh, I had no idea. There are benefits and downsides to the one-organization structure, but for soccer I really wish it was more common for it to be in the model of international split organization model.

HobbesDurden
Nov 7, 2011

Go ahead, Cornelius,
you can cry.
https://twitter.com/ORLPride/status/855237161695760386 - This is awesome. Orlando Pride fans met Marta at the airport to get signatures and welcome her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HobbesDurden
Nov 7, 2011

Go ahead, Cornelius,
you can cry.
Reign win big 5-1 over Houston last night, with five different goal scorers! Hoping the Reign have begun to unlock the form for the season.

• Locked thread