Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Peel posted:

he was charged with misdemeanor assault iirc, don't know if it would have been a felony for a non-millionaire

Not to mention the story leading today isn't 'Republicans beat Democrats' but 'Republican who assaulted the press wins but kinda shows that the GOP is going full fascist.' Not only was it a win that was smaller than it should have been, but Gianforte now looks like the typical rich boy who--like Trump--gets a free pass for his childish antics because he's rich.

So if this is a win for the Republicans, I'd hate to see a loss. The only thing they've really done is win a seat they should have won much more easily and now have to contend with yet another embarrassment from a giant rich manbaby. Good luck with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Felony assault in MT is of the "aggravated" type where severe injury/fear of life comes into play. Knocking the guy down and punching (while quite bad!) probably wouldn't pass as that variety unless it was an extended beatdown session.

Now, if the attacker was a POC....welp.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Lol what is even the point of Montana

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Zelder posted:

It keeps other states from having to touch Alberta.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

It keeps other states from having to touch Alberta.

Pretty much this, yes.

Zelder posted:

I'm starting to wonder if a good way to cut down on government bloat would be to have the western states have to justify their statehood by population. To become a state you have to have a certain amount of people in it, and yet we don't really do anything with that after statehood is granted. By all rights we could just reduce these places to territories and then start linking all of this dead land into one enormous state with governors and the like taking a bigger role as some sort of intermediary. By all rights the idea of every state having two senators is a good idea, but we really should cut down on so much of central/western America having a louder voice than the population centers.

We could probably save a few bucks by making Montana, the Dakotas, Idaho, Nebraska, Iowa, and Wyoming into one single state. There's no reason to have 14 senators for these places since most of them barely qualify for as many representatives as most other states.

Edit: throw in Alaska as well.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Montana is a bug out state where you can live with minimal human contact.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
Montana isn't great but it's probably better than every single state it borders

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Montana is actually good, and it says something about Montana that a state with the demographics of Wyoming has democrats and leftists have a competitive shot at statewide office.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Zelder posted:

penal colony full of oil workers

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Montasque posted:

https://twitter.com/KyungLahCNN/status/867770692313460736
https://twitter.com/KyungLahCNN/status/867773978546511872

A CNN reporter will be killed in a right-wing terrorist attack. I wouldn't be surprised if they bombed CNN HQ.

lol if you guessed that Gianforte beating up a lying dishonest liberal media journalist would get him more votes in Trumpland.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:

Zelder posted:

:catdrugs:

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

Zelder posted:

Being the third world hellhole that serves as the setting for the next Far Cry game.

Donkwich
Feb 28, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Pretty much this, yes.

I'm starting to wonder if a good way to cut down on government bloat would be to have the western states have to justify their statehood by population. To become a state you have to have a certain amount of people in it, and yet we don't really do anything with that after statehood is granted. By all rights we could just reduce these places to territories and then start linking all of this dead land into one enormous state with governors and the like taking a bigger role as some sort of intermediary. By all rights the idea of every state having two senators is a good idea, but we really should cut down on so much of central/western America having a louder voice than the population centers.

We could probably save a few bucks by making Montana, the Dakotas, Idaho, Nebraska, Iowa, and Wyoming into one single state. There's no reason to have 14 senators for these places since most of them barely qualify for as many representatives as most other states.

Edit: throw in Alaska as well.

Just get rid of the senate bing bong simple

CassandraZara
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

logikv9 posted:

seeing how the failed neoliberal extreme centrist ossoff and the ultra progressive quist both lost, it's time for the democraps to find a new ideology

may i suggest extreme nihilism

An honestly good post

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Lolling how Montana rednecks would rather have someone from one of the worst coastal states represent them instead of singing cowboy.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Donkwich posted:

Just get rid of the senate bing bong simple

If we get rid of the house that's even less people we have to pay

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

etalian posted:

Lolling how Montana rednecks would rather have someone from one of the worst coastal states represent them instead of singing cowboy.

In the future, I hope the Montana Democratic Party considers not nominating people who have advocated for a federal gun registry. (aka the "Big Government Computer")

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012
Poor Rob Quist, such a lovely candidate he couldn't even win against a literal criminal. Why do dems pick such terrible people to run? The exact same thing is going to happen in June in GA.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

quist was a good candidate, but even if he got more help from the DCCC he probably wouldn't have won (though they should have given more money anyway). recent state-level elections have gone better- two trump districts (one in NY, one in NH) both went to Democrats. can't vouch for the NH candidate but the NY candidate was a public school teacher, union activist, and Bernie delegate

edit: let's not act like this is the only time someone has won in congress after intimidating someone in the media. remember this guy?

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 03:52 on May 28, 2017

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

rob quist did really well and i hope he runs again. i think the berniecrats will just grow more popular as time goes on

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

get that OUT of my face posted:

quist was a good candidate, but even if he got more help from the DCCC he probably wouldn't have won (though they should have given more money anyway). recent state-level elections have gone better- two trump districts (one in NY, one in NH) both went to Democrats. can't vouch for the NH candidate but the NY candidate was a public school teacher, union activist, and Bernie delegate

edit: let's not act like this is the only time someone has won in congress after intimidating someone in the media. remember this guy?

quist has an absurd amount of baggage and wasn't properly vetted. all 3 of the frontrunners for the dem nomination were bernie supporters (mccarthy, quist, and curtis). curtis would have been a disaster but mccarthy was far more viable and wouldn't have had ads run against him for stiffing contractors or dodging his taxes

funny way to spell
Nov 4, 2012

Condiv posted:

rob quist did really well and i hope he runs again. i think the berniecrats will just grow more popular as time goes on

He did very poorly considering the amount of money poured into the race.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

funny way to spell posted:

He did very poorly considering the amount of money poured into the race.

wasn't he outspent by a lot? like 4:1 or 3:1? I know someone posted a graph either here or somewhere else showing the amounts and the red column was way bigger than the blue one :)

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Barbe Rouge posted:

wasn't he outspent by a lot? like 4:1 or 3:1? I know someone posted a graph either here or somewhere else showing the amounts and the red column was way bigger than the blue one :)

he was outspent in outside funding, although the actual ad differential was a lot closer since he was given $6m in campaign funds. campaigns get preferential tv ad rates, which means quist got a lot more bang for his buck.

he did get outspent, but that wasn't the reason why he lost. he lost because he said a lot of (politically) dumb things in the past, had a lot of financial baggage that went beyond his medical debt, and also ended up not being a great politician or speaker. you don't usually win in montana by suggesting things like "we should have a federal gun registry."

Concerned Citizen has issued a correction as of 21:00 on May 28, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
lol that a coastal billionaire got chosen over a montanan country singer

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Concerned Citizen posted:

he was outspent in outside funding, although the actual ad differential was a lot closer since he was given $6m in campaign funds. campaigns get preferential tv ad rates, which means quist got a lot more bang for his buck.

he did get outspent, but that wasn't the reason why he lost. he lost because he said a lot of (politically) dumb things in the past, had a lot of financial baggage that went beyond his medical debt, and also ended up not being a great politician or speaker. you don't usually win in montana by suggesting things like "we should have a federal gun registry."

or he lost because the baseline result in a montana statewide race is "republican wins bigly" (triply so outside of presidential election years) and voter sentiment in the state hasnt turned against trump/the GOP as it has in some other states

(i agree that any evidence of any sort of anti-gun stance is v. bad in montana tho)

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

or he lost because the baseline result in a montana statewide race is "republican wins bigly" (triply so outside of presidential election years) and voter sentiment in the state hasnt turned against trump/the GOP as it has in some other states

(i agree that any evidence of any sort of anti-gun stance is v. bad in montana tho)

this was a winnable race. gianforte's numbers were not good, and he had just lost with more favorable electoral climate 6 months ago. the issue is that quist became as unpopular as gianforte, plus the convention left some bitterness from a lot of amanda curtis supporters.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

quist has an absurd amount of baggage and wasn't properly vetted. all 3 of the frontrunners for the dem nomination were bernie supporters (mccarthy, quist, and curtis). curtis would have been a disaster but mccarthy was far more viable and wouldn't have had ads run against him for stiffing contractors or dodging his taxes
shame that i only learned about other candidates and most of quist's baggage post-election. got any sites detailing curtis and mccarthy?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

this was a winnable race. gianforte's numbers were not good, and he had just lost with more favorable electoral climate 6 months ago. the issue is that quist became as unpopular as gianforte, plus the convention left some bitterness from a lot of amanda curtis supporters.

gianforte lost his previous race to a popular incumbent governor during the presidential election, when dems do best. im not sure how you can cast that as a "more favorable electoral climate" for the GOP candidate. this is montana, there isnt a big anti-trump backlash to ride

also, gianforte had decent numbers for most of the race, something like +10 favorability. he was never "unpopular" except maybe when he attacked a journalist after most of the votes had already been cast

Concerned Citizen
Jul 22, 2007
Ramrod XTreme

Vox Nihili posted:

gianforte lost his previous race to a popular incumbent governor during the presidential election, when dems do best. im not sure how you can cast that as a "more favorable electoral climate" for the GOP candidate. this is montana, there isnt a big anti-trump backlash to ride

also, gianforte had decent numbers for most of the race, something like +10 favorability. he was never "unpopular" except maybe when he attacked a journalist after most of the votes had already been cast

well first, your premise that "dems do best in a presidential election" is flawed in regards to montana. this is a state with a massive number of swing voters that can and do switch between parties at the drop of a hat. the gop actually has more drop-off voters than the democrats in mt, so there's not much advantage for democrats in a presidential election year. in this case, the presidential year worked against democrats since hillary brought the ticket down so hard - democrats controlled every statewide office but ag in 2012, and lost all but governor in 2016.

gianforte's favorables were poo poo when he announced and improved as he started barraging tv with unanswered ads even before he became candidate. but he was a fundamentally flawed candidate who lost to someone that was popular, yes, but not that popular. certainly not enough to pull out more than a 4 point win. an example of a really popular candidate might be, say, gov. schweitzer who won his re-election by 33 points.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jose posted:

lol that a coastal billionaire got chosen over a montanan country singer

that's increasingly going to be the case as carpetbaggers continue invading cheaper rural areas

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

new jersey carpetbaggers are 2 for 2 in prominent western state elections, the other one being the guy who beat Joe Arpaio (himself from Queens, NY) for maricopa sheriff

also NY/NJ people have ruined north carolina

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

new jersey carpetbaggers are 2 for 2 in prominent western state elections, the other one being the guy who beat Joe Arpaio (himself from Queens, NY) for maricopa sheriff

also NY/NJ people have ruined north carolina

Cary= Center Area of Recently Relocated Yankees

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

etalian posted:

containment area for relocated yankees thank you very much

however the tank lining eroded and they've spilled out into the surrounding areas

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

etalian posted:

virginia foxx was born in the Bronx and she's the wicked witch of the west(ern North Carolina)

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 05:53 on May 30, 2017

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

virginia foxx was born in the Bronx and she's the wicked witch of the west(ern North Carolina)

the current state senate leader is from new jersey and the previous house majority leader are from new jersey, the previous republican governor is from ohio. the legislator responsible for all the gerrymandered district maps that keep getting overturned by federal courts is from massachusetts

in 2011 a tea-party backed group all from new york, new jersey, and massachusetts took control of the largest school district on an openly segregationist ticket

a few months ago legislators from pennsylvania and illinois proposed an amendment to the state constitution reasserting the right to secede again

it goes on and on. carpetbaggers are bad news

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The locals are still dumb enough to vote for them tho

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

VitalSigns posted:

The locals are still dumb enough to vote for them tho
that's because "conservative values" are infinitely more transferable from one state to another than values from the other side. i posted about gianforte's origins on a friend's fb status about the election before it happened, and someone who used to be from montana said as much about his home state. same goes with any "red" state, i suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Body slamming reporters in universally appreciated.

• Locked thread