Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

PlaceholderPigeon posted:

It seems to be the obvious thing that the best reason to present the scene like this is to misdirect, especially with the saw, knife, etc, left unceremonously at the scene.

One thing on my mind to is about the discovery; the fact that Miss Pushy Subscription Collector(who drolly complains about not getting the fee before complaining about the body) found it seems like something the culprit could not expect- so I wonder when they actually had an expectation on who they'd want to discover the body and when. But that might be attributing too much intentionality.

The cut precision is an interesting wrinkle - given the last story I wonder if it will just be a red herring, but I wonder why the culprit cared to be so particular
about that, especially if they were using a hand saw in a tiny room.

Some translation nuance stuff:
So the shower room is one where the whole room one big prefab shower/bath setup? (I looked it up because its not something you really see in north america - would ユニットバス be the right term?)
Also I'm curious about the decapitation/dismembered exchange. Was it some sort of pun?

About body discovery, If it's Haraguchi who's the killer than he could have not paid for the paper on purpose and knew ahead of time when they would send a collector, but who knows, I mean they must have left the door unlocked for a reason. However my theory of the killer being Haraguchi falls apart when you consider the fact that the victim is indeed the one who took a shower. Unless Haraguchi had a trick up his sleeve for that aswell.

The precision of the cut is indeed quite interesting, but pretty simple, I had a light bulb pop up in my head as I read your question, thanks.
I think the culprit used a trick in order to not get blood on them while cutting off the limbs.Like maybe a bag over the hands of the victim?

The shower room is a japan thing I think, they keep their showers separate from their bathrooms because they're germaphobes. The Japanese word for shower room was 浴室(Yokushitsu)

Edit:
The decap/dismem stuff was something I did because the word for limbs in japanese also means neck, so I just did some localization and had the detective not know what decapitation means which would probably never happen, but still.

juicedup fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Nov 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

"Can you tell me about Haraguchi's actions yesterday? What did Haraguchi do yesterday?"
"Well not much... At 9AM and 4 PM he went to get the newspaper, and in the afternoon he went and bought things at a nearby supermarket. Afterwards he stayed inside room 103 the whole time."

"Did anyone visit him?"
"No, no one. Ever since I started my watch from 8AM to 8PM, no one came to visit. It was just so boring..."
As expected it seems the culprit must have come by after Hachimoto finished his watch.

"Umm, is it okay if I ask you. When the time of death was?"
"Yesterday night from 11 to 12"
"From 11 at night to 12..."

"The culprit must have come by after 8 when you finished your watch. If you stayed and kept watch longer, then you probably could have seen the culprit"
"I could have seen the culprit..."
The private eye employee turns pale. A useless man from beginning to end.

Marunouchi points to the brown checkered long sleeved shirt, undershirt and blue jeans that are in the clothes basket and says,
"Are these the clothes that Haraguchi wore yesterday?"
"Since he was wearing a sweater, I don't know what he wore underneath, but I do recall brown his collar, so I think that long sleeve shirt is it. He definitely was wearing blue jeans."

Haraguchi being the one who took off his clothes into the basket seemed more and more believable.

"It looks like Haraguchi was at home most of the time yesterday, but what about before yesterday? Did he go anywhere or meet anyone?"
"When I first started watching him on the 26th, he went out to a cafe where he met with a young woman, then on the 27th Haraguchi's brother came to visit him for 30 minutes, then went home."

"What kind of woman did he meet on the 26th?"
"She was in her mid 20s, a beautiful woman with a long face. Haraguchi begged her for something, but the woman responded with a cold expression. I think that Haraguchi was trying to get back with her after being dumped, but the woman refused."

"Anything else?"
"There's not much. Haraguchi didn't really go out much whatsoever. On the mornings and evenings he goes to get the newspaper, on the daytime he buys things at a nearby supermarket, that's all he does. He didn't try to follow his daughter at all, like the client was worried about.

Every night after my watch is over I reported to the client about Haraguchi's actions but it was just an unthrilling repeat of saying, 'on the morning and evening he went to get the newspaper, and went to buy things during the daytime' over and over"
Marunouchi remembers the DVD and CD collection, the luxurious adio system, and the professional cookware. It seems Haraguchi Shinichi was an indoor type.

Afterwards, Marunouchi calls for Amano Tsukasa, and said to her and Hachimoto Ippei,
"Now, I have a request for you two. I'd like you to look at the body and confirm whether or not it is Haraguchi Shinichi's"

Suddenly Amano Tsukasa waves her hands furiously in front of her and says,
"I don't want to that. I seriously don't want to look at a dead body."
"Aren't you always seeing dead bodies though?"
"I'm telling you I don't want to see what I don't want to."

Hachimoto Ippei gives a big nod in agreement and says,
"I-I pass aswell. I absolutely dread headless bodies..."
"No one likes them. But your testimonies might help in identifying the body. I ask of you as a citizen's duty."

Marunouchi was able to coax the stubbornness of the two, and had them confirm the identity of the body. Tsukasa while starring at the body grumbles 'why does this always happen to me?' While Hachimoto Ippei gets one look at the body and becomes pale and falls down flimsily. It seems the girl is more resilient. Marunouchi closes the door and asked.

"Amano Tsukasa-kun. Is this the body of Haraguchi Shinichi who you take the newspaper fee from every month?"
The baby faced college student tilts her head and says,
"I-I Don't know... I only see him once a month for only a few seconds, I don't really remember what he looked like. And to make things worse he's like this..."

"Hachimoto-kun. Is this the body of Haraguchi who you've been keeping watch on since the 26th?"
The useless looking private eye employee says, "Th-There's no head, so I can't tell." and doesn't say anything else, his eyes turn white and falls unconscious.

Chapter 4
One Doubt

It's the following evening of February 1st. Tsukasa had finished her newspaper fee collecting and entered a cafe in order to take a break, she notices the figure of a lanky young man. Hachimoto Ippei with a solemn look was drinking coffee.

"Umm, you're Hachimoto-kun right?"
Tsukasa talks to him, and Ippei raises his head and says,
"Oh, you're that newspaper fee collector from yesterday aren't you? Amano Tsukasa, right?"
"Yeah. Well to put it clearly, I'm a part time newspaper fee collector, but I'm a full time college student.
Is it alright if I sit here?"
"Ah, feel free"

"What's with the long face, something on your mind?"
Ippei sighs.
"Actually, since Haraguchi Shinichi was killed I got in trouble by my boss. Haraguchi dying caused the job to end immediately, we could only charge the client partially, if Haraguchi stayed alive longer we could have charged them for weeks worth of payment, is how he put it.

But it's use telling me, right, it's not like I killed him, and he died after I was keeping watch, so there's nothing I could have done to prevent it either."

"Looks like your boss likes to ask for the impossible aswell, huh. You see, my newspaper boss yelled at me too"
"About what?"

"Why didn't you go to Haraguchi's place one day earlier, he said. If I was one day faster then he Haraguchi would have been alive, and there wouldn't be a loss of a month's fee."
Ippei breathes another sigh.
"Looks like we're both getting tormented by greedy bosses huh..."

"Actually, there's one doubt about that case that I've been thinking about."
"What kind of doubt?"

"The body had it's neck, wrists, and ankles dismembered, right. Which makes you think that the culprit wanted to hide that the body is Haraguchi Shinichi's by dismembering the head, hands and feet. If there's no head you can't see the face or get dental impressions, if there's no hands you can't get finger print or palm print, if there's no fee you can't get toe prints and shoe size, all of that hides the clues for determining identification, right.

But it's odd if you think about it. You go so far in order to hide that it's Haraguchi Shinichi, but if you leave the body in Haraguchi's room then the identity of the body is clearly apparent isn't it? So then there's no point of hiding the identity of the body. If you're going to hide the identity then you would leave the body somewhere else other than Haraguchi's room, wouldn't you?"

Ippei taken aback says,
"It makes sense if you put it that way.... If the culprit dismembered the arms, legs and feet to hide the identity, then why leave the body in Haraguchi's room?"
"Maybe, that body isn't Haraguchi Shinichi's?"
"...It's not Haraguchi's?"

"Haraguchi Shinichi dressed someone who looks a lot like him in his clothes and kills him, cuts off his head, hands and feet, hiding the body's identity, and leaves it his room to make it seem like the body is his. If you think about it that way then it can explain why the body was left in Haraguchi's room."
"That's quite an interesting thought."

"Right? I'm thinking of going to the police and have a talk with them. Marunouchi, the investigator from yesterday is a friend of mine."
"I'm going too. Having the person I was supposed to keep a watch on get killed makes it hard to sleep at night. I need to know the truth of this case as soon as possible."

Tsukasa and Ippei go to the main office of the police station, and call for Marunouchi, who they state the theory of the body not being Haraguchi's. Marunouchi with a fed up expression says,
"Sorry to say, but that body is indeed confirmed to belong to Haraguchi Shinichi. Haraguchi's brother, divorced spouse, and a woman he was seeing were all called and they confirmed it."

"They could have been lying."
"Don't underestimate the police. It wasn't determined by their testimonies alone. We had DNA profiling done aswell."
"DNA profiling?"

"We took a sample of various hairs that were all around apartment 103, and compared them with the DNA of the body, the results were a complete match. We also had Haraguchi's brother provide a sample of his hair which we compared with the DNA of the body showing a sibling relation. With all of this it's safe to assume that the one who was killed is Haraguchi."
"Is that so..."
There's nothing else that can be done since there's a DNA profiling confirmation.

"Oh right, there were undressed clothes and a used bath towel in a basket in the scene, right. Did Haraguchi Shinichi take a bath?"
"Correct. The clothes were confirmed to be worn by Haraguchi with Hachimoto-kun's testimony, and Haraguchi's brother testified that they were Haraguchi's clothes when we showed them to him. Moreover we took a DNA sample from the hairs on the clothes and bath towel and they matched with the DNA of the body.

Since Haraguchi was wearing pajamas, that means he was killed after taking a bath. Although to be perfectly clear, you can't say he 'took a bath' however"
"What do you mean?"

"The bathtub was dry, and there's no evidence of bathwater. Strictly speaking, the victim did not immerse himself in the bathtub, but took a shower."
"Is there a possibility that the culprit took a shower in order to wash off the blood on themselves after dismembering the body?"

"There isn't. The body took up the floor of the shower room after being dismembered, there wouldn't be any room for them to take a shower, besides it's psychological difficult to believe that someone would shower in the same place of a body they just dismembered. It can be concluded that the one who showered is the victim himself."

"So then, what did the culprit do about the blood that got on them?"
"Even if there was blood on them they could just wear a coat to hide it since it's winter. As for the blood on their hand, they washed the blood off in the sink of the kitchen. Because there was a luminol reaction detected from the sink.
Now, the police are very busy. Can ask you two to leave soon."

: Thanks to the police investigation we have the weapon, time of date, state of the scene and basic information regarding the case all confirmed
: What was the weapon?
: The cause of death was...
Question: What was the weapon?
Answer: Knife found at the scene
: The weapon was the knife that was stabbed into the left side of the chest.
: uh huh
: it seems the stab to the left side of the chest was practically instant death.
: The knife was left stabbed,and the saw they used to dismember was left behind...
: If only they'd leave behind their calling card
: now's not the time for jokes
: well, it does seem like they had no intention of concealment
: Except for the parts they dismembered, remember.
: Hmm.... we still haven't found the head, hands and feet either.
: If you're going to take the head and limbs why not just take the knife and saw while you're at it?
: Maybe because nothing else mattered except for the dismembered limbs
: yoshikawa-san, do you remember the time of death?
: Of course, the time of death is January, 30 at...
Question: When was the time of death
Answer: From 11 to 12
: January, 30th from 11PM to 12AM, isn't it.
: Right when the date was going to change.
: If Hachimoto-kun kept watching after 8PM he could have probably seen the culprit but...
: The problem which comes up is whether the victim really is Haraguchi Shinichi.
: The results of the DNA profiling say there's no mistake that the victim is Haraguchi
: And yet Tsukasa incessantly implores that dead body is not Haraguchi's
: Ugh... We still don't know
: yoshikawa-san, Let's read the rest!
: And then, prove my clean handed innocence if you would.
: I wouldn't mind if you prove Tsukasa-kun's modus operandi
: It wasn't me I tell you!
: Can we at least read quietly?

Chapter 4
Endou Ritsuko Testimony

It's the following morning of February 2nd, at around 10AM, Tsukasa and Ippei go to visit Endou Ritsuko.
The police determined that the body is Haraguchi Shinichi's, yet Tsukasa simply could not accept it. That is because an inconsistency arises from the act of purposefully trying to hide the identity of the body by cutting of the head, hands and feet, but in spite of all that, they leave the body in Haraguchi's room.

Accordingly, on the way home from the police station yesterday, Tsukasa proposed to Ippei to meet the 3 persons relating to the case who stated that the body was Haraguchi's. Since the following day would be her day off college and her newspaper fee collecting job aswell, she was free. Ippei said "I've already embarked on this ship. I'll join you" and agreed.

That's it for all the evidence, guys!
Up next is testimonies.

I'd love to hear some theories!

What do you guys think of my writting?
A little pretentious? I've been having fun googling synonyms

juicedup fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 18, 2017

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
So the police have concluded that there was a DNA match between the brother and Haraguchi. Isn't it possible that Haraguchi killed his brother and then stole his identity? That would explain the DNA match.

It would also explain why the murder happened so late at night. If my younger sister called me over in the middle of the night because she needed me, I would go. So the brother could have gone as well and then was murdered by his own brother.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

SimplyUnknown1 posted:

So the police have concluded that there was a DNA match between the brother and Haraguchi. Isn't it possible that Haraguchi killed his brother and then stole his identity? That would explain the DNA match.

It would also explain why the murder happened so late at night. If my younger sister called me over in the middle of the night because she needed me, I would go. So the brother could have gone as well and then was murdered by his own brother.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that doesn't seem to be possible, as shown in this next update

Endou Ritsuko lives on the eastern district, in an apartment called "Villa Ginza" on Kurisu street.
All of the balcony were large, the entrance utilizes an auto lock system, and there's an exclusive use multi story parking lot. It was far and away much more high class than her divorced husband Haraguchi Shinichi, that's all it took to show the difference in their income.

Ippei calls for Endou Ritsuko from the inter phone at the entrance.
"This is Hachimoto Ippei from the Iwashita detective agency"
"Ah, you're the detective that I asked to watch over Haraguchi aren't you. What brings you here?"

"We at the agency all feel terribly sorry over loss of Haraguchi-san. It's just I feel that if only I kept watch more properly, then the death of Haraguchi-san could have likely been prevented. And so as a remembrance of the dead, I'd like to carry out my own investigation..."
A pretext that Tsukasa thought of beforehand.

"I see. Thank you very much."
Endou Ritsuko without doubting Ippei's words accepted it easily, and released the auto lock system for them. They take the elevator to the 6th floor, ring the bell to room 606, and the door opens.

Endou Ritsuko being in her early 30s, had a very intellectual look to her which left an impression. She had traces of being emaciated, maybe due to the shock of her divorced husband being killed. There was an 8 to 9 year old girl glancing from behind Endou Ritsuko, when her eyes meet with Tsukasa's she showed a bashful smile and withdrew away.

"Is that your daughter?"
"Yes. Her name Rina. We had it so that at the end of every month Haraguchi would see her. Haraguchi was supposed to see her the following day after he was killed. Haraguchi was a hopeless man, but it's true he adored Rina, he always looked forward to visiting day. It's kind of tragic of him to be killed before he could see Rina..."

Tsukasa and Ippei are led to the dining kitchen. Tsukasa immediately gets the ball rolling with a question.
"When was the last time you two met?"
"The last time we met was one year ago, at a courthouse when we were consolidating the divorce. I never met him once after that. Although, we talked on the phone a couple of times"

"Then, when was the last time you talked on the phone?"
"The 19th of last month. When I heard from my daughter that Haraguchi persistently talked to her on her way to school to get her to live with him, I called him that night. I told him not to follow my daughter around, or else the visiting days will be canceled, to which Haraguchi reluctantly accepted. That's what caused me to to request a private eye."

"Did Haraguchi say anything else when you talked on the phone?"
This time Ippei asked the question.
"No, nothing... I told him not to follow Rina around, to which Haraguchi argued... It was a back and forth of that."

"Do you have any idea as to why Haraguchi was killed?"
"No... I don't really know what kind of life he led a year after our divorce. I learned about him getting fired two months ago from the prep school he worked at due to an incident, and heard where he lives from his brother, Kyouji-san, I don't know much else... This may seem cold of me but I didn't want to associate with Haraguchi any longer."

"Do you keep in contact with Haraguchi-san's brother?"
Tsukasa starts asking questions again.
"Yes. Actually Kyouji and I work together in the central surgery college hospital as a nurse, I see him often. Kyouji-san sympathized with me about our divorce, he has given me lots of advice."

"Pardon me but, what was the cause of the divorce?"
"Haraguchi and I were in the same Medical class, and we had a student marriage. I successfully graduated and passed the national doctor exam, and was on my way to being a doctor, but Haraguchi couldn't graduate... When I think about it, that was likely where things went downhill.

Afterwards Haraguchi became a math professor at a prep school, and he had resentment for not becoming a doctor which he washed away with alcohol and women, he also raised his hand at me in his drunken rage, I held on thinking he would settle down but it only got worse. I couldn't stand it any longer so I cut it off with a divorce."

"It seems you were called to identify the body by the police. What was your evidence for confirming the body was Haraguchi-san's?"
"Haraguchi had a 3 centimeter long scar on his right shoulder, the same scar was on the body"
"A scar on the right shoulder?"

"Haraguchi loved baths, he had a habit for taking baths for 20 to 30 minutes, about half a year before we divorced, he took a bath for too long and became dizzy, causing him to slip in the shower room and hitting the faucet on his right shoulder which caused a laceration. That's scar from that time. Afterwards he still liked baths the same amount, and ended up taking much longer then me..."

"This is going to sound like a very rude question but, do you remember what you were doing the night of the 30th from 11PM to 12AM?"
"Are you asking for an alibi?"
"N-No, not exactly..."

Endou Ritsuko makes a sad smile.
"Since it's my divorced husband that was killed, I guess it's only natural that I would be suspected. I think I was here reading a book from 11PM to 12 AM. My daughter was already sleeping, so I don't think I have someone to testify..."

That's all for chapter 5.

juicedup fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 27, 2017

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I'm liking the writing so far this chapter!

As for the meat of the case so far: Haraguchi has a motive for the swap, because that would give him a chance to see the daughter much more often.

Given that all 3 of them seemed to be in the medical field, it might be possible for him to look at his brother's job. The medical/surgery angle also might explain the precision of the cuts. It might aslo be possible to falisify that shoulder scar too? Depending on how long this had been planned.

If this was a typical mystery game I'd expect some backstory about whatever caused Haraguchi to fail to pass his exams to show up too. But we'll see

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

quote:

Sorry to burst your bubble, but that doesn't seem to be possible, as shown in this next update.

I'm confused. I read the update and I see no reason that my theory is wrong. Yes, the ex-wife sees the brother at work, but has she seen him since the murder happened?

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
Chapter 6
Haraguchi Kyouji's testimony

Tsukasa and Ippei ask Endou Ritsuko the address of Haraguchi Kyouji and go do see him. His place of residence is on the south district, in an apartment called "Residence Kawasaki" on Kah Street. It's lower in value compared to Endou Ritsuko's apartment, there is no auto lock system.

Tsukasa rings the bell of room 405, and an average sized man in his early 30s appears. His face is pale and has a nose bridge which makes him have a sharp looking face. He looks very similar to the pictures of Haraguchi Shinichi that have been shown on newspapers and news on the TV. However, this one wears glasses, and his whole aura is completely different.
"You're Haraguchi Kyouji, yes?"
Tsukasa asks, and the man nods.

"You're the man of the private eye agency that took Ritsuko-san's request aren't you. She talked to me a while ago on the phone about this."
"I thought that I would hold an independent investigation of my own, as a little commemoration for the dead..."
Upon saying that, it gives him a genuine feeling, which was strange to him. Tsukasa and Ippei were led to the dining kitchen.

"When was the last time you met your big brother?"
Asked Tsukasa

"It would have to on the 27th of January. I had a day off of work that day, so I went to see him at 3 in the afternoon. You see, when Rina-chan was on her way to school, my brother...
Ah, she's the daughter that my brother and Ritsuko-san had... I heard from Ritsuko-san that, my brother kept telling Rina-chan to go live with him, so I thought that I would have a little talk with him.

Ritsuko-san said she had someone from a detective agency keep an eye on him, but I was still worried, I thought that I would check up on him myself."

"How was your brother at that time? Was he different than usual?"
"He was grumbling up a storm about how Ritsuko-san called him about not following Rina-chan around. He was saying things like 'I'm the one who loves Rina more, why can't she live with me, the family court's rulings are wrong'.
But the reason he didn't get custody was because of his own doing. It's true that he loves Rina-chan, but because of his problems with women and alcohol, it didn't make for an environment to raise a child on. Compare that to Ritsuko-san's serious and upkept lifestyle, and her much more stable income. My brother has no reason to have custody."

"Did your brother say anything else?"
This time Ippei asked
"He didn't say anything... Ah, that's right. It seems the girl he was seeing dumped him, and he seemed a little down."

"What kind of girl was he seeing?"
"An office clerk from the Kaishin Prep School that he worked at 2 months ago, it seems."
"Do you know her name?"
"If memory serves right, I think her name is Morikawa Kotomi. I ran into them while they were out walking once. I was briefly introduced to her, and that's how I remember her name."

"Is she a pretty long faced girl in her mid 20s?"
"That's right. My brother used to popular with girls long ago, and he was always walking around with charming girls."

"It seems your brother's divorce was due to alcohol, women problems, and domestic abuse."
Tsukasa starts asking again.

"Yes. Even with a wife like Ritsuko-san, he would frequently dabble in women, and hit Ritsuko-san when he drank. I just had to do something, so I advised Ritsuko-san to think about getting a divorce. I see Ritsuko frequently at the central medical college of surgery where Ritsuko-san works as a nurse, I couldn't stand seeing her being depressed more day by day, you see."

"Do you have an idea as to why your brother was murdered?"
"A reason to murder him huh... Brother was lousy with women and booze, but he's unemployed, he's basically a childlike person. I don't think he ever wronged anyone enough to kill him."
That's when Haraguchi wrinkled his brow.
"You don't mean, you think Ritsuko-san killed my brother, do you?"
"No no,that's ridiculous."

"Ritsuko is someone who wouldn't even hurt a fly. First of all, she has no reason to kill my brother. Since the one who has custody of Rina-chan is Ritsuko-san after all"
"Of course I wasn't thinking of something so rash. By the way, you were called by the police to confirm the identity of the body weren't you. What was your basis for confirming that the body was your brother's?"

"It's not much of a basis... Well, it was the whole aura. Seeing as how we lived together until college, I know what my brother's aura is like. And also I heard from Ritsuko, half a year before they divorced he slipped in the tub and had a cut injury on his right shoulder, that scar was on the body aswell."

"I know this is a very rude question to ask, but do you remember what you were doing on the 30th from 11 to 12?"
Haraguchi's face becomes stiff.
"Are you suspecting me?"
"No, that's not it, it's just for reference..."

Even having been told that, Haraguchi didn't seem to believe it, yet he answers sincerely.
"I think I may have been at home. If I was working a night shift I would have an alibi, but unfortunately not."

Chapter 7
Morikawa Kotomi's Testimony

The Kaishin Prep School that Haraguchi used to work at two months ago was located in the north district, in front of Kuin station. It's a ten story building, at first glance you would think it's a hotel. Tsukasa remembers that she heard that the prep school was ready to be re-used as a hotel due to the declining birth rate.

Going into the first floor entrance, a reception woman was telling something to a student looking child. She's in her mid 20s, has a body of a fashion model, a beautiful woman with a long face and sharp eyes.

"That's the woman that Haraguchi Shinichi met at the cafe on the 26th..."
Ippei said while looking at her. Getting closer and casually looking at her name tag, showed that it had the name Morikawa Kotomi written on it just as predicted. When the boy left, Tsukasa talks to her.
"You're Morikawa Kotomi, right. We'd like to talk to you Haraguchi Shinichi if we could."

"...Who are you two?"
Morikawa Kotomi starred at Tsukasa and Ippei with caution.

"We're part of the Iwashita private eye agency. We were actually requested to keep an eye on Haraguchi-san. However, Haraguchi-san was murdered. Feeling that if I kept a better watch then his death could have been prevented, and as a way to commemorate the dead, I'm carrying out an independent investigation."
Ippei answered smoothly.

"What brings you to me?"
"The truth is, I saw you meet with Haraguchi-san on the 26th of January."
Morikawa Kotomi's face became faintly red.

"... I'll let you know, I don't have a relation to Haraguchi anymore. We've already parted ways."
"Yes, I'm aware of that. It's just that we were wondering if we could inquire about Haraguchi-san as a person. Would that be okay, seeing as how it's almost afternoon, we could talk while having lunch..."

Morikawa Kotomi's co-workers begin gazing at them with curiosity. Feeling the stare, Morikawa Kotomi let out a sigh.
"... I get it. If you leave here and go left in about 200 meters there will be an Italian restaurant called 'Trattoria Eco'. Wait there."

Tsukasa and Ippei go into the appointed restaurant and in about 10 minutes, a little after 12:05, Morikawa Kotomi arrived in the store. Kotomi ordered lunch.
"Was the last time you met with Haraguchi-san was on the 26th?"
Tsukasa asks just in case, to which Morikawa Kotomi nods with a "Yes".

"What was it you met for?"
"It was about breaking up. I broke up with him on the 10th of January. Then on the 25th he calls me asking me to meet with him just one more time... I lost my patience to his persistence, on the 26th I met him on my lunch at a cafe close to the prep school.
Just as I thought he badgered me saying, please get back together with me, I flatly refused. I was just so fed up with that man to the core. Then he says 'just you wait' as a parting shot and left the cafe. If you were watching Haraguchi then shouldn't you have seen that?"

"Yes, well. What part of Haraguchi-san made you get fed up with him?"
"That man, he's just so child like."
"Child like?"
"Yeah. Haraguchi is quite handsome, and has another side to him, I was charmed by that, I was seeing him since the summer of last year, after a while his childishness started rubbing me the wrong way."
"Such as?"

"His competitiveness would work in strange ways. He had a cat and dog relationship with a fellow teacher when he used to work at the prep school, the other teacher had a sports car that he bragged about and brought it to the school often. Then Haraguchi goes and buys a sports car that's one rank higher and drove that to school. He even put down all his saving so he could get a loan on that sports car. What an idiot.
And then, the assault incident happened. A student objected saying that Haraguchi's way of solving a math equation was off and they got into an argument, Haraguchi lost his composure and hit the student. That was it for him. I got fed up with this and that, I said we should just break up on the 10th."
"How did Haraguchi react when he heard that?"

"He was shocked for a while and couldn't even talk. Then with a shaky voice he asked why, to which I cited everything child like about him. Then I told him upfront that I'm with someone else I like. That this one isn't child like, he's a serious adult. He works for a big company, and he's an athlete who's good at surfing, much different than Haraguchi."

"Wouldn't that make Haraguchi-san terribly depressed?"
"Oh he was. But it's best to put it bluntly for his own good"
Morikawa Kotomi said nonchalantly as she twirls her fork into the tomato sauce pasta that was brought to her. Tsukasa felt a little pitiful for Haraguchi Shinichi.

"Did Haraguchi-san say anything else the last time you met?"
This time Ippei asked.
"He just persisted again to get back together. He didn't say anything else."

"Do you have an idea as to why Haraguchi-san would be killed?"
"There's no value in killing that man. I don't know who killed him but they must have a lot of time on their hands to purposefully kill someone like him."

Wow, how bitter, Ippei frowns. Tsukasa goes back to asking,
"You were called by the police to confirm the identity of the body. What was your basis for confirming the body was Haraguchi's?"

"It was very pale, and the figure looked like Haraguchi's. Also he had a scar on his right shoulder, which was on the body aswell. If you're wondering how that scar got there, he says it's because he took a bath for too long and sliped. I remember that he loved baths, he would take baths for a couple dozen minutes."

"I know this is a rude question, but do you remember what you were doing on the 30th from 11 to 12?"
Morikawa Kotomi glares at Tsukasa.
"That really is rude. Listen, I broke up with him. It's not like I was dumped by him. So why would I kill him?"

"No, we aren't suspecting that you killed him, we are only asking for reference..."
"I was at home. I live alone, unfortunately I wasn't with my boyfriend, so I don't have someone to testify."

: I see, so you couldn't accept the police's view so you started your own independent investigation huh.
: Yes, both me and Hachimoto-kun.
: First, you met with Haraguchi's ex wife, Endou Ritsuko right?
: Yes, she really was a bit shocked and looked depressed.
: There was something important that came up in the discussion.
: Do you mean... The basis for her confirming the body is Haraguchi's?
: Yes, I do.
: The basis for her confirmation was...
: The 3 inch scar on his right shoulder, right.
: Haraguchi slipped in the shower room once and cut himself on the faucet, it seems
: It looks like it's safe to think that the identity of this body is Haraguchi Shinichi's
: There was also a testimony about Haraguchi Shinichi wasn't there.
: Haraguchi Shinichi and Endou Ritsuko had a student marriage, he dropped out and became a teacher at a prep school.
: And then he dabbled in alcohol and women.
: We also learned that his brother, Kyouji works at the same hospital as Endou Ritsuko.
: Afterwards, you met with the victim's brother, Haraguchi Kyouji.
: Yes, But there wasn't any new information.
: I don't think so...
: First, we learned why Haraguchi Kyouji went to visit Shinichi's apartment on the 27th.
: Going by the testimony, Kyouji went to visit his brother to talk about him following Rina-chan.
: It seems Kyouji didn't think it was good that his brother was following around Rina-chan since Endou Ritsuko has the custody.
: And also, about Haraguchi Shinichi's recent break up.
: Morikawa Kotomi, who works as an office clerk at Kaishin Prep School.
: This is one big piece of information
: We immediately went to go see Morikawa Kotomi after that, but I was taken aback by her bitter personality.
: On the 26th, Morikawa Kotomi and Haraguchi Shinichi had a talk about breaking up.
: We understood the reason for why he stormed out
: The rest was the same as the other two.
: The scar on his right shoulder was because he liked baths, just like how the other two answered.
: Endou Ritsuko and Morikawa Kotomi, why did they chose a guy like him, I wonder.
: Love affairs have no formality or sense.
: I've been on the battlefield so I know what I'm talking about
: Leaving aside Marunouchi's romance lecture...
: Morikawa Kotomi, and Haraguchi Kyouji both say there is no reason for Haraguchi being killed.
: Well Morikawa Kotomi says there's no value in killing him.
: Do you think he wasn't such a bad person to make people hate him that much?
: Maybe so.
: Moreover, we learned that all of them have no alibis.
: They all seem suspicious...
: Let's keep going... There's only a bit left.

Chapter 8
The Reason For Dismembering

Morikawa Kotomi finishes her lunch and says, "I answered your questions, so treat me" and gets up from her seat. Ippei and Tsukasa were both left in Trattoria Eco, and decided to continue reviewing the case.

"What did you think of meeting Endou Ritsuko, Haraguchi Kyouji, and Morikawa Kotomi?"
Tsukasa asked Ippei
"They all have the stance that the body in room 103 is in fact Haraguchi Shinichi's in common"

"But if the body actually is Haraguchi Shinichi's, then why would the culprit leave a body without a head, arms, and feet that's unidentifiable in Haraguchi's room? Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of cutting the head, arms and feet? That's a contradiction."

"Maybe the culprit didn't think that far. Moreover, even though the body was in Haraguchi's room, the police are convinced that the reason for dismemberment was to hide the body's identity."
"I am not going to depend on the police's judgment. There is an obvious contradiction in cutting the body apart to hide it's identity and leaving the body in Haraguchi's room"

Tsukasa points her fork at Ippei,
"Maybe the culprit didn't cut the head, arms and legs to hide the identity. Because we think that they tried to hide the identity is why it causes a feeling of contradiction. Then rather, the reason for cutting the head, hands and feet was not to hide the identity.
Why don't you think of it that way?"

"If it wasn't for hiding the body, then what reason would there be for dismembering?"
"Maybe because it would be disadvantageous for the culprit if the head, arms and legs remained?"
"Meaning?"

"If the head, arms and feet had disadvantageous traces left on them for the culprit. Let's start by separating the traces that would be disadvantageous to the culprit by the possibility of them being ones that are innate or ones that are acquired.
"Huh? Wait a second. I don't get it."

"It's not really that hard. Innate traces that would be disadvantageous for the culprit would simply be put as, appearance, fingerprints, palm prints, foot prints, and foot size, stuff that would discern individual people. If the culprit was trying to hide the victim's identity, then those would be considered traces that are disadvantageous for the culprit, right?"
"But..."

"Right, the culprit wasn't trying to hide the identity right now.
Let's use that premise as we deduce further. So right now we don't need to think of innate traces as disadvantageous to the culprit.
Now let's think of the possibility of acquired traces being disadvantageous to the culprit. Basically a trace that's disadvantageous to the culprit that was inflicted to the victim's body."

"An acquired trace that was inflicted...?"
"Take this possibility for example,
It seems like the weapon that took Haraguchi's life was the knife, but what if before that he received an injury to his head, arms or feet by a different weapon. What if that weapon left a unique injury that it would show who the culprit is?"
"Something that would reveal who the culprit is?"

"Like a cane that the culprit always walks around with. If Haraguchi received a blow from a cane to his head, arms or feet, that would reveal who the culprit is. In order to prevent that, the culprit cut off all parts with the traces of blunt force."

"But, Haraguchi's head, arms and feet were all cut off. If you're theory just now is correct, then Haraguchi would have taken damage in all 5 parts. Can you really think that?
Wouldn't the culprit who's swinging a weapon focus on a specific part to hit. I don't think that his head, hands and feet which are all far apart from each other would all sustain injury from a weapon".
It's just as Ippei said. He looks absent minded, but he can be sharp witted, Tsukasa thought better of him.

"Then, what if Haraguchi had an illness, and the symptoms showed on his head, arms and feet,
How's that possibility? If that illness were to be found out, it would be disadvantageous for the culprit, so the culprit cut off all the parts were the symptoms showed."
"Why would Haraguchi's illness be disadvantageous to the culprit?"

"What if the culprit was Haraguchi's doctor? The culprit misdiagnosed, and when they realized it Haraguchi's illness was already at a point of being incurable. If they didn't do anything about it, then they would be held responsible for misdiagnosing. In order to prevent that, they kill Haraguchi and take away his head, arms and feet where the symptoms show. One of the people involved in the case is a doctor right."

"The ex wife Endou Ritsuko huh."
"Yeah. She's the culprit. She diagnosed her husband."
"But, if Haraguchi's illness was to the point of being incurable, then wouldn't symptoms show in various parts of the body, not just the head hands and feet, they would have been found during the autopsy. First of all is there even a unique illness where symptoms only show on the arms hands and feet?"

"I guess you're right..."
"Now that we've thought about it, there really isn't a reason why leaving the head, hands and feet would be disadvantageous to the culprit is there."
As Tsukasa became staggered by Ippei's rebuttal, she says,
"Then on the contrary. What if the head hands and feet had a merit for the culprit, and they took them because they were necessary?"

/
I'll just stop here, so far this is one crazy impossible murder.

juicedup fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 28, 2017

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Well that dismemberment discussion sure went far~

Still feels like the purported victim has the best motive for this, especially considering all the poo poo that went down in his life just before the time of the murder.

Looking at the meeting with Kotomi while considering that is quite curious. Having not seen her since the 10th, he calls her just before the time of the incident...for what end? If this was a planned identity swap, it would have had to been already in motion. Best guess I can say is because she would recognize him and say he was there - but wouldnt know his brother maybe?

Aside from that the ex-wife hasn't actually met him in a year, so the amount of people who know him and have seen him recently is very slim. Maybe a chance to use the time gap to make himself look more like his brother.

I'm aslo curious whether or not Haraguchi knows about the surveillance too~ and if theres a hole to be found there if not.

e: The idea of someone taking the limbs/head for..purposes is real weird too

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Nov 26, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Well that dismemberment discussion sure went far~

Still feels like the purported victim has the best motive for this, especially considering all the poo poo that went down in his life just before the time of the murder.

Looking at the meeting with Kotomi while considering that is quite curious. Having not seen her since the 10th, he calls her just before the time of the incident...for what end? If this was a planned identity swap, it would have had to been already in motion. Best guess I can say is because she would recognize him and say he was there - but wouldnt know his brother maybe?

Aside from that the ex-wife hasn't actually met him in a year, so the amount of people who know him and have seen him recently is very slim. Maybe a chance to use the time gap to make himself look more like his brother.

I'm aslo curious whether or not Haraguchi knows about the surveillance too~ and if theres a hole to be found there if not.

e: The idea of someone taking the limbs/head for..purposes is real weird too

The fact that the method of murder makes it seem like impossible to be self inflicted, could probably mean that Haraguchi used it to his advantage, and him having a brother that looks very similar to him just makes it all the more possible for a bait and switch.
The only problem is the scar on his shoulder. But still, in this game the more evidence there is to support something, means it's more of a possibility of a trick.
This would be like the third time we guessed what would happen before we even finish the whole story.
I hope that doesn't happen though.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Rina-chan wanted to be with him so much that she cut off his head and appendages, then built a doll out of them (obviously she couldn't carry his whole body out). Check her toy box.

The odd insistence that only the victim could have taken the shower is a bit puzzling. It's hard to tell if this is just misdirection or not. I suppose it may just be pointing in the direction of how to discover evidence if some bloody clothes are discovered.

It's strange that they don't mention any other non-matching DNA hair samples. One would expect the brother, and possibly some women to be in the place too. Maybe even Tsukasa if she makes it a habit of wandering into people's houses.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Dec 4, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
I'm very glad to present the following update, this one gives answers to some of our theories, and even puts a wrench in everything we thought would happen, too.

"You mean the head, hands and feet were worth something to them?"
"Let's say the culprit is someone of abnormal taste, and took Haraguchi's head, hands and feet for their collection."
Ippei makes a face that says he can't believe it.
"Who would want to have a collection of men's corpses?"

"What about Morikawa Kotomi. She says she broke up with Haraguchi, but it's possible that she was actually the one who was dumped. She couldn't let Haraguchi go, so she kills him, and as a way to remember him, she takes his head, arms and feet by dismembering them. Like a type of fetish"

"But on the 26 of January when Haraguchi and Morikawa Kotomi met, it definitely looked like she was the one who ended the relationship. She has no motive to kill Haraguchi."
"I guess so... Then, what if Haraguchi head, arms and feet had something valuable in them, and that's what the culprit wanted?"
"Something valuable? Are you saying he had like Romanov dynasty diamonds in him or something?"

"Unlikely, huh."
Then, all of a sudden an idea sparked in the back of Tsukasa's mind
"... I thought of something amazing. The culprit used Haraguchi's head, arms and feet to make it look like there was only one person."
"Huh?"

"They combine the head, arms and feet with stuffed clothes to make a type of doll. It makes whoever sees it from far away think that there's a person there, while that happens the culprit could be somewhere else committing some crime. Because the head, arms and feet are real that makes it totally believable, and if you look at it from afar it should seem like an actual person. That's how the culprit would establish their alibi.
Although the doll has Haraguchi's face, the only one who can make an alibi is someone who has a face similar to his; Haraguchi's brother, Kyouji"

Ippei starred in wonder at Tsukasa.
"You know, you say some unexpectedly crazy stuff for someone like yourself. However, there haven't been any crimes so to speak of around Kyouji that he needed to forge an alibi for. There would be no purpose for your so called doll as long as no crimes have occurred. If there's no purpose for it, then I don't think he would make the doll."
"I guess so..."

"There really isn't a thinkable reason that the culprit dismembered the limbs of Haraguchi Shinichi other than hiding his identity after all. An acceptable reason doesn't exist at all."
"But if you're going to hide his identity, then leaving the corpse in Haraguchi's room is wrong..."

Chapter 9
Who is the culprit?

"Let's leave the problem of why the head, arms and feet were dismembered up in the air for now, as we try to think about the problem of who the culprit could be."
Ippei suggested.
"From our examination just now about the reason for dismembering, 3 candidates who could be the culprit came up; Endou Ritsuko, Haraguchi Shinichi, and Morikawa Kotomi. Why don't we examine the possibility of the culprit being one of these 3 in more detail."

"Examining who the culprit is heavily relies on factors like alibis and motives, right."
"And neither of the three have established alibis, do they. All three of them said that they were at their house on the 30th from 11 to 12, but there is no one to testify that. Motive is the problem..."

"First, Endou Ritsuko, right. She was so worried about Haraguchi Shinichi getting close to her daughter that she killed him.
How's that possibility?"
"Isn't it odd that she would kill him in just five days after requesting Iwashita private eye agency to watch Haraguchi? If she wanted to kill him, then she wouldn't request a private eye in the first place, if she made the request she would want to keep a bit more closer track of his movements.
Moreover, ever since the request through the 30th, Haraguchi never tried to approach his daughter, because Endou Ritsuko acknowledged my reports I don't think she would have an intent to kill."

"Okay then, next is Haraguchi Kyouji. Since brothers usually don't get along well, it's not impossible that they got into a sibling fight that escalated into murder, however, the problem is if they've been living as brothers for at least 30 years, why would it happen now, huh.
Could there have been some sort of trigger for it perhaps... Yes. He felt sympathy for his ex sister-in-law, he even advised her to divorce his brother, could it be that Kyouji likes Endou Ritsuko? If that were the case, then when he heard that his brother is getting close to his daughter on her way to school and causing Ritsuko to become worried, that caused anger toward his brother to the point of exploding and killing him.
How's that possibility?"

"If he heard that he was getting close the daughter on her way to school and causing Ritsuko to become worried, then he also should have heard about her requesting to Iwashita Private Eye Agency afterwards. If so, then just like Endou Ritsuko, Kyouji should not have a thinkable reason for killing his brother."

"Then, how about Morikawa Kotomi..."
"She stressed it herself, she was the one who broke up with Haraguchi, Haraguchi didn't break up with her. Therefore it's unthinkable that would have a motive to kill Haraguchi. There's no doubt that Morikawa Kotomi was the one who broke up with Haraguchi from what I saw in the cafe on 26th."
It's possible that she couldn't stand Haraguchi persistently trying to get back together so much that she kills him, but from what I saw of Morikawa Kotomi, she seems like the type of girl who could easily manage."

Tsukasa sighs.
"None of them have a motive to kill Haraguchi in the end."
It was then. An unthinkable deduction lit up in the back of Tsukasa's mind.

"...I've just noticed something. There's a contradiction between what Marunouchi told us yesterday about the state of the scene, and the information we've just gathered."
"A contradiction? Is that true?"

"It's likely that Haraguchi took a bath because of the clothes that were in the undressing basket and the bath towel he used. And because the bathtub was dry, Haraguchi didn't actually take a bath, but likely took a shower instead
This is the state of scene that Marunouchi told us isn't it."
"Yeah, that's right"

"Yet, before when we visited Endou Ritsuko, she said, 'Haraguchi loved baths, he would be in there for 20 to 30 minutes'. Not just that, Morikawa Kotomi said that he loved baths so much that he would take them for dozens of minutes. Two women that he was intimate with said so, therefore Haraguchi loving baths is a proven fact.

Isn't it weird that Haraguchi being that kind of person would only take a shower?"
"... If you put it that way, then yeah."
"If it was Haraguchi, he wouldn't just take a shower, we would have bathed as well. Yet him only taking can mean only one thing."
"What would that be?"

"The person who bathed was not Haraguchi."
"Huh.....?"
"Moreover, the hair and DNA on the undressed clothes and towel means whoever the dead body is was the one who used the shower room. If the person who used the shower isn't Haraguchi, the dead body is not Haraguchi's."

Ippei opened his mouth, flabbergasted.
"The dead body isn't Haraguchi's...? Then who could it be?"
"Someone as pale as Haraguchi, and someone with the same build as him.
His brother Kyouji."
"Ah.... But, the DNA profiling proved that the dead body is Haraguchi Shinichi's"

"I wonder if it really was proven. The body's DNA matched with hairs that were all around room 103. And when Haraguchi Kyouji submitted a hair sample, it showed that there was a sibling relation. The body was regarded as Shinichi's because of this.
However, what if the hairs around room 103 were all actually Kyouji's? Maybe the culprit purposefully placed Kyouji's hairs around.
Now, what if the 'Haraguchi Kyouji' who submitted the sample was actually Shinichi, and the body they think is Shinichi's is actually Kyouji's? Even in that case, both of their DNA would establish a sibling relationship between their DNA. The DNA profiling only proves that they are brothers, it doesn't disprove that they switched places."

"Ah, yeah.... But the body being declared as Haraguchi Shinichi's isn't just from DNA profiling. Haraguchi Shinichi has a scar on his right shoulder, and that was on the body as well."

"There's lots of ways you can fake that kind of scar. The one who had the scar in the first place was originally Kyouji. When Haraguchi thought about switching with his brother, he made the scar on his right shoulder too. Endou Ritsuko said that half a year before the divorce, Shinichi slipped in the bath and hit his right shoulder on the faucet making a scar, but Shinichi was planning on switching with his brother ever since then.

Shinichi is part of the medicine field, so he knows about medical science, so if he turns into Kyouji who's a nurse, he wouldn't have to worry about getting found out."

"I see.... Now that I think about it, on the 26 of January, when his brother Kyouji came to visit, I even thought that Shinichi went outside all of a sudden, that's how much they look the same. It may be possible that they switched, just as you say. If so... the 'Haraguchi Kyouji' we just met was actually Shinichi?"

"Exactly. He changed into Kyouji and talked badly about Shinichi, his own self, in order to give the impression that he is Kyouji.
Let's sum up Haraguchi Shinichi's crime. A few days before the crime he vigorously cleans apartment room 103 from top to bottom, then after a few days he makes his brother use room 103, and his clothes as well. By doing that, Kyouji's hairs are placed all around the room.

The police compared the DNA of hairs left around the room with the body when they discovered the body in order to identity the body, right. Haraguchi Shinichi thought ahead and had Kyouji live in room 103 for a while. Then, at the night of the crime, Haraguchi Shinichi visits room 103 and kills his brother and dismembers his head arms and feet, to make it look like his own body."

"He made Kyouji use room 103, you say...? Then...."
"Right, the Haraguchi Shinichi you were keeping an eye on was actually Kyouji."
"When exactly did they switch?"

"On the 26th of January Morikawa Kotomi met with Haraguchi, but we can safely asume that was the real Haraguchi Shinichi. If it were Kyouji, Morikawa would catch on for sure. Meaning the switch had to happen after that. On the 27th, Kyouji came to visit, I think this is when the switch occurred. He has his brother live in room 103 as Shinichi, and left in Kyouji's clothes."

"So, you mean they switched places right when I was keeping watch..."
"Haraguchi didn't go out much after the 27th except for getting the newspaper and buying food in the daytime, he would always stay inside, right? Because they switched places, Kyouji would refrain from going out in order to prevent from getting noticed by acquaintances of his brother, I think.

The only hole in Haraguchi Shinichi's plan is that Kyouji is different than him in that he doesn't like baths, but instead takes showers. That's how the body not being Shinichi's but Kyouji's was found out by this keen eyed detective girl."

"You're still married to that theory of the body not being Haraguchi Shinichi's?"
Marunouchi said annoyed 30 minutes later in a room of the investigating jurisdiction's headquarters after listening to Tsukasa's deduction.

Tsukasa nods and says,
"If you think about it, the results of the DNA test aren't reliable. If the hairs all around room 103 were all of Kyouji who was living there for a few days, and if the man who says is Kyouji is actually Shinichi, then the DNA results wouldn't work."

"Don't think lightly of the police. In order to further confirm the identity of the body, the police had an investigation to find any DNA of Haraguchi Shinichi."
"Huh...?"

"What we found was that a girl who was a student of Shinichi, had the hots for Shinichi when he was a prep school teacher, and took a hair of Shinichi's as a charm to pray for a passing score that she snuck into a locket. It was a complete match when we compared the DNA extracted from that hair with the body's."
"Maybe the hair that the girl took of Shinichi was actually Kyouji who was in disguise."

"That's out of the question. It seems the girl took the hair after a math lecture aimed for an entry exam for high level colleges. Kyouji could not have conducted that lecture. It seems Kyouji's math scores in college were poor. Basically, the hair the girl got was from the real Shinichi. Meaning that it's safe to asume that the body is indeed Shinichi."

"The body was actually Shinichi's..."
Tsukasa muttered dumbfounded. She felt like she heard her own dedction fall apart with a crumbling sound.

/That's the whole book of this case. All the rest is up to us.
I will bold keywords in the next update. The fact that Tsukasa of all people brought up the switch theory means that it's likely there was no switchery.
We're back to square one. I have no idea how to even start with this. It's like all possibilities have been discussed already in the game.

Kangra posted:

Rina-chan wanted to be with him so much that she cut off his head and appendages, then built a doll out of them (obviously she couldn't carry his whole body out). Check her toy box.

The odd insistence that only the victim could have taken the shower is a bit puzzling. It's hard to tell if this is just misdirection or not. I suppose it may just be pointing in the direction of how to discover evidence if some bloody clothes are discovered.

It's strange that they don't mention any other non-matching DNA hair samples. One would expect the brother, and possibly some women to be in the place too. Maybe even Tsukasa if she makes it a habit of wandering into people's houses.

I'd love to say it's possible, that Rina chan, but she has an alibi that she was sleeping, otherwise case closed.

And yeah it seems the shower plays a big part in this case some loving how.

juicedup fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 28, 2017

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Well, thats certainly a turn. I can't complain though, im glad the writers are at least predicting what the readers are, especially compared to the last chapter.

I honestly think the doll thing is really silly. So I hope it doesnt turn out to be that.

Otherwise, it might be the case that the culprit only actually cared about removing one limb, but removed all of them in order to distract attention from which one was actually used? Either to destroy evidence or for some other purpose (medical?)

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
What if they weren't older/younger brother, but identical twins!? Not clutching at straws at all here. Also Japanese mystery games love the twins twist.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
I won’t have time to look back over the details until later, but I was curious if we have any good hints that ignore the identity thing? The whole brother angle makes the case a bit too binary: either the body belongs to the brother and the “victim” is guilty, or it doesn’t and the case has actual suspects.

I know when I was reading through it, the last case tripped me up too since I was caught up on the fact that the alcohol was spilled and only the friend could have done it. Entirely irrelevant to the case.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Random_Username posted:

I won’t have time to look back over the details until later, but I was curious if we have any good hints that ignore the identity thing? The whole brother angle makes the case a bit too binary: either the body belongs to the brother and the “victim” is guilty, or it doesn’t and the case has actual suspects.

I know when I was reading through it, the last case tripped me up too since I was caught up on the fact that the alcohol was spilled and only the friend could have done it. Entirely irrelevant to the case.

It seemed to me like the writer is trying to throw the reader off by making us focus on identity when we should be focusing on something else entirely..

Apologies for the hiatus. Life, you know.

Yoshikawa: This must be the end of the Akasha article
Yoshikawa: The logic of ace detective Tsukasa-kun was quite something, I must say.
Tsukasa: Huh?
Tsukasa: So you're trying to say that my deduction isn't wrong, is it!?
Marunouchi: It's not out of the boundaries of conjecture.
Marunouchi: Seeing as how no evidence was raised to prove that Tsukasa is innocent.
Marunouchi: You haven't budged from the list of suspected people.
Tsukasa: That's unjust arrest! Help me, policemen!!
Marunouchi: I'm the policeman!
Tsukasa: ......
Tsukasa: Help me, policemen who're nice and understanding!!
Marunouchi: drat brat!
Yoshikawa: Now now... Calm down you two.
Tsukasa: I can't be calm!
Tsukasa: I'll be considered the culprit at this rate you know!?
Tsukasa: Are you okay with that? That's not good!
Tsukasa: Yoshikawa-san!
Tsukasa: Please solve this cleanly! Smoothly! And Pronkly!
Yoshikawa: ...Pronkly?
Yoshikawa: ...Well, at any rate, I cannot produce an answer on the spot
Yoshikawa: During reasoning, you must accumulate ample information, and discard information which is absolutely improbable.
Tsukasa: Then what'll happen?
Yoshikawa: Even that which is so unbelievable is left as the undeniable truth
Yoshikawa: That's why I have no intention of hurrying to a conclusion until I put all the information under scrutiny
Marunouchi: That's all well and good, but those aren't your own words are they?
Marunouchi: It's from Sherlock Holmes isn't it? Acting like a hot shot detective.
Yoshikawa: However the meaning of those words are deep... Don't you think?
(Yoshi, you're such a loving dork)
Yoshikawa: In order to reach the singular truth I can't let a single word get away
Yoshikawa: You never know what page hides a clue within it.
Tsukasa: I understand!
Tsukasa: Yoshikawa-san, I appreciate it!
Tsukasa: Cleanly accumulate, smoothly discard, and pronkly scrutinize to solve it, please!
Yoshikawa: ....Whether or not I do it in that sort of way
Yoshikawa: I will make the truth clear.

That's it for the dialog.

Might as well just translate the recap on the characters that the game offers, and hey, at least we get some sort of art of them.

First up,

Haraguchi Shinichi:
Ex spouse of Endou Ritsuko. Early 30s. His corpse was found in the shower of his home.
(I can't belive the game is stating as a fact that he's the victim!)

Haraguchi Kyouji:
Younger brother of Haraguchi Shinichi. Is a nurse at the same College Hospital that Endoo Ritsuko works as.

Morikawa Kotomi:
Mid 20s. Works as a clerk at a prep school. Used to see Haraguchi Shinichi, but cut off the relationship herself.

Iwashita Kensuke:
Chief of Iwashita Private Eye Agency.

Nagayama Junko:
Secretary at Iwashita.

Hagimoto Ippei:
Young staff member at Iwashita.

Amano Tsukasa:
An aspring photographer college student. Currently a part time newspaper fee collector.

Endou Ritsuko:
Surgeon in her early 30s. Divoriced Haraguchi Shinichi, lives together with her daughter.

Endou Rina:
The child of Endou Ritsuko and Haraguchi Shinichi. In 3rd grade.

We move on to the questions that the games asks us to answer.
I'm not doing images this time, there's no point and it takes too long.

Questions 1 (Red):
The victims head, arms, and legs were dismembered.
Pick one epiphany that explains why the culprit did this.

Question 2 (Yellow):
The victim's wrists, and ankles were cut at equal positions, this was caused by some person's "certain purpose".
What was that purpose?
Chose one epiphany.

Question 3 (Blue)
There were various unnatural aspects at the scene of the crime.
Based on question 2, chose 2 epiphanies that show the reason.

Question 4 (yellow):
What is, "the cause that lead the culprit to commit the murder in the first place"?
Chose one epiphany that show's why.

Question 5:
Who is the culprit

So yeah. Pretty complicated one.
I get the feeling that we are supposed to work backwards from the question.
I guess we should start with the first one, since we still don't know why they cut him up.
If we can answer at least that, then I'd say we made good progress.

Now, first thing's first.
Raise a question/mystery.

That mystery was created by using the keyword There's five decapitations from this update Where Marunouchi is investigating the scene.

Mystery: Why were five limbs of the body dismembered?
: The victim wasn't simply decapitated, his arms and legs were dismembered too.
: Just why did they have to go and cut him up and take it all for, I wonder
: Is it really for hiding the identity....
: ....What was the purpose of dismembering the five limbs? That's the point of this case.

Now that we have the mystery to answer the first question, I move on to making epiphanies or ideas.

Here's the first one I came up with, and the one we're all too familiar with.
Who knows, it may actually be the answer. Which would kind of be a twist in itself.

We combine the "dismember mystery" with the keyword dismembered the limbs in order to hide the identity of the body https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3817565&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post478365700] from the same update[/url]

Red Epiphany: The body was dismembered in order to hide the identity
The culprit may have dismembered the body in order to hide it's identity.
Meaning that there is a possibility that the body is not Shinichi's.
: Just as you surmised officer Marunouchi, it may be that the culprit dismembered the body in order to hide it's identity.
: Of course. Parts are parts.
: If that's true, then maybe the victim really isn't Haraguchi Shinichi, but someone else.

Red Epiphany:
The body was dismembered in order to put the body in the freezer.

made by combining the dismember mystery with an ice tray and an insertable ice pillow bag from chapter 4
(Ice pillows are apparently a japan only thing, it's self explanitory, they're just pillows with some gel in them that you put in the freezer to keep you cool in summer night)

: Maybe, because the culprit wanted to put the body in the freezer, they emptied it, and dismembered the body aswell.
: Did they plan to hide it and stall when it would be discovered?
: However, in the end they took the dismembered limbs and left the body in the shower room...

Pretty ridiculous, we can probably discard it. Unless freezing a body can throw off an autopsy report, but I wouldn't think so.

Red Epiphany:
Because there were disadvantageous traces left, they dismembered and took away the limbs.
If the purpose wasn't to hide the identity, then there must have been disadvantageous traces left on the five limbs, so they took them away.

Made by combining the dismembering mystery with limbs had disadvantageous left for the culprit from Chapter 8 where they discuss the reason for dismemberment.

: Because there were disadvantageous traces they cut and took away the limbs...
: They left the weapon, body and the rest didn't they.
: The disadvantageous trace they took away must have been something very important.
: There's no doubt that would show who the culprit is.
: We may have to think about what kind of tracce it was with a different point of view

Red Epiphany:
They dismembered because there was a unique wound
There may have been a unique wound on five of the limbs that would show who the culprit is.
It's possible that in order to hide those wounds, they dismembered them.

: It's possible that the culprit dismembered the five limbs in order to conceal a unique wound that would show who the culprit is.
: Maybe it has something to do with why the cutting positions match up.
: We need to think about how the culprit wounded the victim, don't we.

That's all the epiphanies that I could find on my own.
The last two are probably the most promising. But I still can't for the life of me think about how five limbs would get wounded in such a way.

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
If it’s implying there were 5 similar wounds to each of the limbs, then I have no clue. I was going to guess that maybe it was actually a suicide and the victim had cut his wrists? Insurance scam to get the payout?

The next possible guess is that the body was tied, then moved? Rope marks on 4 limbs, get rid of the head for identity purposes?

These are complete guesses. I’m not sure anything in the text would really support it.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Random_Username posted:

If it’s implying there were 5 similar wounds to each of the limbs, then I have no clue. I was going to guess that maybe it was actually a suicide and the victim had cut his wrists? Insurance scam to get the payout?

The next possible guess is that the body was tied, then moved? Rope marks on 4 limbs, get rid of the head for identity purposes?

These are complete guesses. I’m not sure anything in the text would really support it.

Keep in mind these aren't all the red epiphanies, these are just the ones that I could find.

If you see any interesting keywords that you want me to combine with the mystery, then let me know.
I have the game on my psp so I won't have to fire up my pc.

Also, if anyone's in favor of me just looking up an answer that we get stuck on then I'll look it up so that we can move on.
I was thinking of doing a sort of time limit thing, like say 48 hours per question?
Then that way we'll be done with this LP within a week.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The specific cuts makes me want to investigate the surgeon ex-wife. One could imagine that someone used to cutting flesh would know precisely where to cut. Can we combine with her or mentions of the hospital?

Alternately, there was some method used that resulted in them being cut that way as an incidental effect; that just doesn't seem likely given the crime scene, however.

The third option, somewhat suggested already, is that only one of the locations is important, but the limbs were cut in the same way to conceal which part it was. One possible thought I had is that the brother swaps identities but requires the fingerprints for some security reason.

Still no clue on motive, however. Possibly he wanted to back out of some ongoing identity scheme, and the killer couldn't allow that to happen.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
48 hours sounds like a good time limit.

Would it be too much to ask for a keyword list, just for reference sake?

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Kangra posted:

The specific cuts makes me want to investigate the surgeon ex-wife. One could imagine that someone used to cutting flesh would know precisely where to cut. Can we combine with her or mentions of the hospital?

Alternately, there was some method used that resulted in them being cut that way as an incidental effect; that just doesn't seem likely given the crime scene, however.

The third option, somewhat suggested already, is that only one of the locations is important, but the limbs were cut in the same way to conceal which part it was. One possible thought I had is that the brother swaps identities but requires the fingerprints for some security reason.

Still no clue on motive, however. Possibly he wanted to back out of some ongoing identity scheme, and the killer couldn't allow that to happen.

Interesting, they did mention something about the limbs "having value" in the discussion, but we'll need to prove it somehow.

RedMagus posted:

48 hours sounds like a good time limit.

Would it be too much to ask for a keyword list, just for reference sake?

I ran the updates through text mechanic.com and used the "remove lines not containing" button with the bold code

I'll remove some of the fluff later if I feel like it.

chapter 1:link
Hagimoto Ippei is a man of misfortune.
Ippei works at a private detective agency, but he is know as a misfortunate man even there. If he were to tail someone he would fall in a manhole, and lose the target. If he were to listen in on someone, he would get bit by the house dog, kick it by reaction, then have to pay indemnities. Because of that, the chief declared that if he makes another mistake then he'll get the axe.
Ippei always lamented that he was born under an unlucky star, but he's about to meet his worst misfortune of all. That being getting caught in a murder case of all things. But it's not all bad, seeing as how he was able to get acquainted with the weird but charming Amano Tsukasa.
It's January, 26th at 9:30 in the morning.
Looking around he sees that all other 10 staff desks are empty. The only one left is the secretary, Nagayama Junko.
"Sorry. I overslept because I got really into a videogame last night... Is everyone else out at work?"
"Yes. Everyone's already outside"
Speak of the devil and whatnot, that's when the staff room door opens and Iwashita Kensuke showed his bulldog face. When he looks around the deserted staff room, and sees only Nagayama and Ippei, he starts to show a look of disappointment, then calls Ippei over to him an quite a reluctant way. Ippei stands with a tremble.
"Listen, don't mess this one up. If you mess up, you're getting the boot"
Following Iwashita to the reception room, a smart looking woman in her early 30s is sitting on the sofa. Though plain, the navy blue suit she's wearing looks expensive.
The woman said in a quiet and calm tone, as she takes out her business card. On there it says Central Hospital College of Internal Medicine.
"That's correct. I want you to see that the husband I left does not get close to my daughter."
"Yes. We divorced one year ago. It was because of his drinking, frivolity, and domestic abuse that led to me having custody of our daughter, he gets to see her at the end of every month. Is what we decided but he broke the promise, almost everyday he has talked to my daughter when she's on her way to school, even asking her to go live with him.
I heard this from my daughter one week ago, I called my husband and threatened him not to approach her again, if not I'll stop letting him see her every month. He reluctantly agreed, and stopped approaching her, but I'm worried he will do it again...
"He's currently unemployed. 2 months ago he was a math teacher for an prep school, until he hit a student and got fired..."
"I would like for it from when I leave for work at 8 in the morning, to when I get back home 8 at night. Other than school she will be alone by herself, and he might try to get to her then. So please keep an eye on her to make sure he doesn't."
"Please take care of it. And if you could call me to report what happened that day after the lookout at 8PM."
"For now I would like one month."

rest of chapter 1 + beginning of chapter 2: link

Takanashi Heights is a 5 story apartment that faces a two lane street.
There is no secured lock entrance system of course.
on the left side a chest high wall,
to the right are five doors lined up.
He looks through the gap of room 103 where Haraguchi lives,
and notices that it's not locked. It seems Haraguchi is inside.
he sees that there is a parking lot on the other side of the chest high wall, and a two lane road in front of that.
He sees that there is a cafe called Charade on the other side of the road. The window seat of that cafe should be a good look out point to see the 103 room door.
After 11:40, the door of 103 opens, and a man wearing a beige overcoat appears.
but the Haraguchi that went through that door was like a dissolute shadow. He could imagine what life he led after the divorce.
Haraguchi took a relaxed pace walking for five minutes, and then enters a cafe in front of Kuin station. Ippei entered aswell. He sees Haraguchi sitting by the window in a box seat. He might take notice if he gets too close, so Ippei sits down at the counter instead.
The person who entered the store was a woman in her mid 20s. Although she's quite thin, and has a long face, even so she is quite a beautiful woman.
Haraguchi Appeals something of her, to which the woman answers coldly. That continues a bit longer, until Haraguchi says one last thing with a grim look in his face, and stands from his seat. Ippei takes a drink from his coffee, then starts quickly following.
That day's afternoon was spent keeping an eye on room 103's door. However the only time Haraguchi went out the door was at 4PM to get the evening paper, he didn't come out after that.
That's could be who he's seeing at the moment. Haraguchi used to be pretty popular with girls"
"Correct. There was no sign of him trying to close to your daughter."
It's the next morning of the 27th at 8AM.
Later, in the afternoon Haraguchi exits his room again. Because he's wearing a down jacket, surely that means he is going out somewhere. Ippei hurries and exits Charade, then tails Haraguchi.
With a relaxed pace he walks to a shopping district, and enters a supermarket. There was a slight feeling of sorrow given off from the sharp faced man by himself walking around the store while carrying a shopping basket.
Ippei takes a shopping basket aswell and nonchalantly follows Haraguchi. Haraguchi buys a can of meat sauce and a six pack of beer, then returns to Takanashi Heights. Ippei also returns to the window seat in Charade and continues his look out.
It's 3 in the afternoon, and a black coated man stands in front of the door of room 103, and rings the doorbell. Ippei sees the side of his face and is immediately bewildered, and though it was strange that Haraguchi was outside all of a sudden. But when he squinted his eyes, it was someone else. His body, skin and facial features resembled Haraguchi, but this one is wearing glasses, moreover there's a completely different aura about him.
Haraguchi opens the door, he exchanges words with the man and lets him in. Just who could it be? If he resembled him that much then it could be a sibling. The man comes out after around 30 minutes, then exits the apartment.
"A man who looks a lot like Haraguchi? That has to be his little brother Kyouji-san."
Ippei is at the window seat of Charade the following morning of the 28th at 8AM. Unbearably dozy he yawns over and over. Having been engrossed in a game last night, he stayed up late. The waitress must have lost interest, since she pays no heed to Ippei.
At 9:00 AM Haraguchi comes out of room 103 like always, and goes to the mailbox like always, returning with the newspaper in hand. He goes back into his room as his pale face yawns.
It is the 30th of Janurary, 10 in the morning. Tsukasa stops her bicycle in front of an apartment building called Takanashi Heights. Tsukasa is a part time subscription fee collector, and Haraguchi of room 103 is one of those subscribers.
Tsukasa rang the doorbell. She waited a while, but no one answered. No matter how many times she rang it no one came out. She peeps into the gap of the door and sees that the door isn't locked, meaning that there's no mistake about them being inside. So they think pretending to be away will work. Tsukasa thought so as she opened the door and shouted.
As soon as she steps inside, she was inside the kitchen, no was there. She could see a living room is in the back, but there was no one in there either. However there was a slight fishy odor in the air in the room.
While holding up her collection bag like a shield , she takes off her shoes and steps inside. There's a shower immediately to the left, the door was halfway open. Right next to the door was an undressing basket, taken off clothes and a crumpled towel are tossed inside. Moreover, the fishy smell is coming from the half open door. Tsukasa fearfully looked inside, and instinctively let out a scream at what she saw.
On the floor of the bathroom laid the limbless body of a man in his pajamas. Not just his head, his hands, and his feet were all gone. Of course there's no way he's alive in this state.
"Yeah, everyday, from 8 in the morning to 8 at night, from the cafe across the street I kept my eye on this room's front door. Haraguchi always goes to get the paper at 9 in the morning, but only today he didn't show up, I thought it was mysterious why he didn't.
"Culprit? No, Ever since I've started keeping watch, you were the only one to go inside, besides

Chapter 3
It was 10:40AM when the first investigation team, led by Marunouchi Keiji arrived at the scene.
"This body's a crazy one. Seeing as how there's five decapitations"
According to the detective's explanation, the lanky guy is Hachimoto Ippei, a private eye agency employee who has been keeping an eye on the victim, Haraguchi Shinichi since January 26 to the 31st starting from 8 in the morning until 8 at night. The client was worried about her divorced husband, Haraguchi following their daughter around, so she had his actions kept in check.
There's a dining kitchen over the entrance, beyond that is a six tatami mat living room. To the left of the entrance is a shower room, to the right is the bathroom. The shower door is open, the dead body can be seen with a glance. Marunouchi braces himself and looks inside the shower room.
The dead body of an average sized man wearing long sleeved pajamas was laying face up. The man's neck, wrists, and ankles were all cut off at the joint, showing the dark red slice. The skin is quite pale for a man. The estimated age is from 30 to 35 years old, estimated height being 170cm tall give or take, Marunouchi thought to himself.
A knife was stabbed into the left side of the chest. There was a saw lying on the floor that's thought to have been used for the cutting, aswell as traces of large amounts of blood. It seems the pajamas were a grayish blue, but are stained by all the blood, there are reddish black spots all over.
The culprit probably dismembered the limbs in order to hide the identity of the body. Because without those parts, the identity of the body can't be determined through appearance, teeth, fingerprint, palm print, toe print or foot size. You would assume that the victim is the resident of the apartment, Haraguchi Shinichi, but an identity check will still be necessary.
There were splashes of blood covering the walls of the shower room staining it dark red. The bathtub was covered by a lid, he looked inside, but there was no water, it was completely dry.
By the side of the shower door was a clothes basket. Inside was a brown checkered long sleeved shirt, an under shirt, blue jeans, and a wet crumpled towel tossed inside. Someone undressed and took a shower.
So then, who could have taken a shower. The culprit or the victim. Considering the victim was in pajamas, it seems likely that the victim took a shower. It's also likely the culprit took a shower to wash off the blood after dismembering, but in that case he probably wouldn't leave behind the clothes he had on and towel he used.
First of all, the floor of the shower room is taken up by the body, so there would not have been any room for the culprit to take a shower, and surely they wouldn't try to shower in a place where they just dismembered someone. With that, it can be concluded that the one who took a shower is the victim.
The dining kitchen's footing is made of flooring, there's a small table, two chairs, kitchen cabinet, fridge, trashcan, and a large LCD TV.
He opens the fridge and sees sauce, mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, butter, and a six pack of canned beer. In the freezer was an ice tray and an insertable ice pillow bag.
Under the sink were fry pans, pots and bowls, on the door were 3 knives hanging. There are quite serious cooking utensils that are assembled, oddly Haraguchi seemed to cook for himself which is rare for a man who lives alone.
Next to the sink was a garbage can with a lid. Opening the lid shows one ice pillow bag with the seal cut off thrown away with nothing else in the trash can.
Next Marunouchi goes into the living room in the back. A carpet is laid out, with a bed, drawer, and a luxurious audio system set up. Next to the bed was a plastic carbage can, but it was empty. Next to the audio system was a CD case, there's several dozen CDs inside.
"Judging by rigor mortis and algor mortis temperature drop, it's between yesterday night at 11 to 12. A fat autopsy may shorten the time though."
"The knife stabbed to the left part of the chest. It must have been close to instant death"
"There's one thing that's bothering me. The position of where the wrists and ankles were cut, the position's match for both the left and right respective limbs."
"For example for the wrist's case, the left wrist and left wrist are cut about 23 centimeters measuring from the elbow. I've dealt with many bodies that had their arms cut off, every one of those bodies wrists were cut at varying positions. Naturally, no one dismembers with measurments."

chapter 3+4

"Well not much... At 9AM and 4 PM he went to get the newspaper, and in the afternoon he went and bought things at a nearby supermarket. Afterwards he stayed inside room 103 the whole time."
"The culprit must have come by after 8 when you finished your watch. If you stayed and kept watch longer, then you probably could have seen the culprit"
"There's not much. Haraguchi didn't really go out much whatsoever. On the mornings and evenings he goes to get the newspaper, on the daytime he buys things at a nearby supermarket, that's all he does. He didn't try to follow his daughter at all, like the client was worried about.
"I-I pass aswell. I absolutely dread headless bodies..."
It's the following evening of February 1st. Tsukasa had finished her newspaper fee collecting and entered a cafe in order to take a break, she notices the figure of a lanky young man. Hachimoto Ippei with a solemn look was drinking coffee.
"Actually, since Haraguchi Shinichi was killed I got in trouble by my boss. Haraguchi dying caused the job to end immediately, we could only charge the client partially, if Haraguchi stayed alive longer we could have charged them for weeks worth of payment, is how he put it.
But it's odd if you think about it. You go so far in order to hide that it's Haraguchi Shinichi, but if you leave the body in Haraguchi's room then the identity of the body is clearly apparent isn't it? So then there's no point of hiding the identity of the body. If you're going to hide the identity then you would leave the body somewhere else other than Haraguchi's room, wouldn't you?"
"Maybe, that body isn't Haraguchi Shinichi's?"
"Sorry to say, but that body is indeed confirmed to belong to Haraguchi Shinichi. Haraguchi's brother, divorced spouse, and a woman he was seeing were all called and they confirmed it."
"We took a sample of various hairs that were all around apartment 103, and compared them with the DNA of the body, the results were a complete match. We also had Haraguchi's brother provide a sample of his hair which we compared with the DNA of the body showing a sibling relation. With all of this it's safe to assume that the one who was killed is Haraguchi."
"The bathtub was dry, and there's no evidence of bathwater. Strictly speaking, the victim did not immerse himself in the bathtub, but took a shower."
"Even if there was blood on them they could just wear a coat to hide it since it's winter. As for the blood on their hand, they washed the blood off in the sink of the kitchen. Because there was a luminol reaction detected from the sink.
It's the following morning of February 2nd, at around 10AM, Tsukasa and Ippei go to visit Endou Ritsuko.

chapter 5

Endou Ritsuko without doubting Ippei's words accepted it easily, and released the auto lock system for them. They take the elevator to the 6th floor, ring the bell to room 606, and the door opens.
Endou Ritsuko being in her early 30s, had a very intellectual look to her which left an impression. She had traces of being emaciated, maybe due to the shock of her divorced husband being killed. There was an 8 to 9 year old girl glancing from behind Endou Ritsuko, when her eyes meet with Tsukasa's she showed a bashful smile and withdrew away.
"Yes. Her name Rina. We had it so that at the end of every month Haraguchi would see her. Haraguchi was supposed to see her the following day after he was killed. Haraguchi was a hopeless man, but it's true he adored Rina, he always looked forward to visiting day. It's kind of tragic of him to be killed before he could see Rina..."
"The last time we met was one year ago, at a courthouse when we were consolidating the divorce. I never met him once after that. Although, we talked on the phone a couple of times"
"The 19th of last month. When I heard from my daughter that Haraguchi persistently talked to her on her way to school to get her to live with him, I called him that night. I told him not to follow my daughter around, or else the visiting days will be canceled, to which Haraguchi reluctantly accepted. That's what caused me to to request a private eye."
"No... I don't really know what kind of life he led a year after our divorce. I learned about him getting fired two months ago from the prep school he worked at due to an incident, and heard where he lives from his brother, Kyouji-san, I don't know much else... This may seem cold of me but I didn't want to associate with Haraguchi any longer."
"Yes. Actually Kyouji and I work together in the central surgery college hospital as a nurse, I see him often. Kyouji-san sympathized with me about our divorce, he has given me lots of advice."
"Haraguchi and I were in the same Medical class, and we had a student marriage. I successfully graduated and passed the national doctor exam, and was on my way to being a doctor, but Haraguchi couldn't graduate... When I think about it, that was likely where things went downhill.
Afterwards Haraguchi became a math professor at a prep school, and he had resentment for not becoming a doctor which he washed away with alcohol and women, he also raised his hand at me in his drunken rage, I held on thinking he would settle down but it only got worse. I couldn't stand it any longer so I cut it off with a divorce."
"Haraguchi had a 3 centimeter long scar on his right shoulder, the same scar was on the body"
"Haraguchi loved baths, he had a habit for taking baths for 20 to 30 minutes, about half a year before we divorced, he took a bath for too long and became dizzy, causing him to slip in the shower room and hitting the faucet on his right shoulder which caused a laceration. That's scar from that time. Afterwards he still liked baths the same amount, and ended up taking much longer then me..."
"Since it's my divorced husband that was killed, I guess it's only natural that I would be suspected. I think I was here reading a book from 11PM to 12 AM. My daughter was already sleeping, so I don't think I have someone to testify..."

chapter 6 + 7

Tsukasa rings the bell of room 405, and an average sized man in his early 30s appears. His face is pale and has a nose bridge which makes him have a sharp looking face. He looks very similar to the pictures of Haraguchi Shinichi that have been shown on newspapers and news on the TV. However, this one wears glasses, and his whole aura is completely different.
"It would have to on the 27th of January. I had a day off of work that day, so I went to see him at 3 in the afternoon. You see, when Rina-chan was on her way to school, my brother...
Ritsuko-san said she had someone from a detective agency keep an eye on him, but I was still worried, I thought that I would check up on him myself."
"He was grumbling up a storm about how Ritsuko-san called him about not following Rina-chan around. He was saying things like 'I'm the one who loves Rina more, why can't she live with me, the family court's rulings are wrong'.
But the reason he didn't get custody was because of his own doing. It's true that he loves Rina-chan, but because of his problems with women and alcohol, it didn't make for an environment to raise a child on. Compare that to Ritsuko-san's serious and upkept lifestyle, and her much more stable income. My brother has no reason to have custody."
"That's right. My brother used to popular with girls long ago, and he was always walking around with charming girls."
"Yes. Even with a wife like Ritsuko-san, he would frequently dabble in women, and hit Ritsuko-san when he drank. I just had to do something, so I advised Ritsuko-san to think about getting a divorce. I see Ritsuko frequently at the central medical college of surgery where Ritsuko-san works as a nurse, I couldn't stand seeing her being depressed more day by day, you see."
"Ritsuko is someone who wouldn't even hurt a fly. First of all, she has no reason to kill my brother. Since the one who has custody of Rina-chan is Ritsuko-san after all"
"It's not much of a basis... Well, it was the whole aura. Seeing as how we lived together until college, I know what my brother's aura is like. And also I heard from Ritsuko, half a year before they divorced he slipped in the tub and had a cut injury on his right shoulder, that scar was on the body aswell."
"I think I may have been at home. If I was working a night shift I would have an alibi, but unfortunately not."
Going into the first floor entrance, a reception woman was telling something to a student looking child. She's in her mid 20s, has a body of a fashion model, a beautiful woman with a long face and sharp eyes.
"It was about breaking up. I broke up with him on the 10th of January. Then on the 25th he calls me asking me to meet with him just one more time... I lost my patience to his persistence, on the 26th I met him on my lunch at a cafe close to the prep school.
Just as I thought he badgered me saying, please get back together with me, I flatly refused. I was just so fed up with that man to the core. Then he says 'just you wait' as a parting shot and left the cafe. If you were watching Haraguchi then shouldn't you have seen that?"
"Yeah. Haraguchi is quite handsome, and has another side to him, I was charmed by that, I was seeing him since the summer of last year, after a while his childishness started rubbing me the wrong way."
"His competitiveness would work in strange ways. He had a cat and dog relationship with a fellow teacher when he used to work at the prep school, the other teacher had a sports car that he bragged about and brought it to the school often. Then Haraguchi goes and buys a sports car that's one rank higher and drove that to school. He even put down all his saving so he could get a loan on that sports car. What an idiot.
And then, the assault incident happened. A student objected saying that Haraguchi's way of solving a math equation was off and they got into an argument, Haraguchi lost his composure and hit the student. That was it for him. I got fed up with this and that, I said we should just break up on the 10th."
"He was shocked for a while and couldn't even talk. Then with a shaky voice he asked why, to which I cited everything child like about him. Then I told him upfront that I'm with someone else I like. That this one isn't child like, he's a serious adult. He works for a big company, and he's an athlete who's good at surfing, much different than Haraguchi."
"There's no value in killing that man. I don't know who killed him but they must have a lot of time on their hands to purposefully kill someone like him."
"It was very pale, and the figure looked like Haraguchi's. Also he had a scar on his right shoulder, which was on the body aswell. If you're wondering how that scar got there, he says it's because he took a bath for too long and sliped. I remember that he loved baths, he would take baths for a couple dozen minutes."
"I was at home. I live alone, unfortunately I wasn't with my boyfriend, so I don't have someone to testify."
"If the head, arms and feet had disadvantageous traces left on them for the culprit. Let's start by separating the traces that would be disadvantageous to the culprit by the possibility of them being ones that are innate or ones that are acquired.
It seems like the weapon that took Haraguchi's life was the knife, but what if before that he received an injury to his head, arms or feet by a different weapon. What if that weapon left a unique injury that it would show who the culprit is?"
"Then, what if Haraguchi had an illness, and the symptoms showed on his head, arms and feet,

ch 8+9

"And neither of the three have established alibis, do they. All three of them said that they were at their house on the 30th from 11 to 12, but there is no one to testify that. Motive is the problem..."
"First, Endou Ritsuko, right. She was so worried about Haraguchi Shinichi getting close to her daughter that she killed him.
"Okay then, next is Haraguchi Kyouji. Since brothers usually don't get along well, it's not impossible that they got into a sibling fight that escalated into murder, however, the problem is if they've been living as brothers for at least 30 years, why would it happen now, huh.
Could there have been some sort of trigger for it perhaps... Yes. He felt sympathy for his ex sister-in-law, he even advised her to divorce his brother, could it be that Kyouji likes Endou Ritsuko? If that were the case, then when he heard that his brother is getting close to his daughter on her way to school and causing Ritsuko to become worried, that caused anger toward his brother to the point of exploding and killing him.
"The person who bathed was not Haraguchi."
"What we found was that a girl who was a student of Shinichi, had the hots for Shinichi when he was a prep school teacher, and took a hair of Shinichi's as a charm to pray for a passing score that she snuck into a locket. It was a complete match when we compared the DNA extracted from that hair with the body's."
"That's out of the question. It seems the girl took the hair after a math lecture aimed for an entry exam for high level colleges. Kyouji could not have conducted that lecture. It seems Kyouji's math scores in college were poor. Basically, the hair the girl got was from the real Shinichi. Meaning that it's safe to asume that the body is indeed Shinichi."

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm still thinking there was a history of swapping lives. Can we combine Kyouji's poor math scores with yelling at a student for doing a math problem wrong, or is that too much of a leap?

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Kangra posted:

I'm still thinking there was a history of swapping lives. Can we combine Kyouji's poor math scores with yelling at a student for doing a math problem wrong, or is that too much of a leap?

I couldn't get anything to come up for those exact keywords.
But I was able to create a mystery.

The keyword "math lecture aimed at high level college" and "argument about math equation" formed a mystery called "why did Haraguchi Shinichi make a math mistake?"
There's some dialog with Yoshi and Maru and they point out that Haraguchi was working there for a year, so he shouldn't have made a mistake.

I'm on my lunch break at work right now, so I can't go into detail or test out other keywords, until later.
We're making progress though, that's for sure.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Just a quick 4 so far:

code:
She was so worried about Haraguchi Shinichi getting close to her daughter that she killed him.
see that the husband I left does not get close to my daughter.
could the daughter have caused the unexpected explosion/need to kill the father? Something about him maybe wanting/winning more custody time?

code:
He's currently unemployed. 2 months ago he was a math teacher for an prep school
Kyouji's math scores in college were poor.
Why would any place hire a guy with lovely math scores to do college prep?

code:
Kyouji and I work together in the central surgery college hospital as a nurse
could it be that Kyouji likes Endou Ritsuko
Could provide a motive for his murder?

code:
His competitiveness would work in strange ways
they got into a sibling fight that escalated into murder
Leading from the last, maybe the brother dating his ex is what sent him into a rage? Or maybe dating the girl that dumped him?

Kangra
May 7, 2012

RedMagus posted:

code:
He's currently unemployed. 2 months ago he was a math teacher for an prep school
Kyouji's math scores in college were poor.
Why would any place hire a guy with lovely math scores to do college prep?

Kyouji's the brother, employed as a nurse. But there's hints that they had switched places at times, maybe, and those poor math skills of Kyouji may have been what caused Shinichi (the purported victim) to get fired.

Kangra fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Dec 30, 2017

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
Here are some mysteries and epiphanies

MYSTERY: What was the intent of Shinichi saying "Just you wait"?
Formed when combining just you wait' as a parting shot and left with I was just so fed up with that man to the core
Morikawa Kotomi said Haraguchi's competitiveness works in strange ways, so for what reason did he say "just you wait"?

: "Just you wait" huh...
: it didn't seem like he had any intention to end it... but why do you think he said that?
: For what purpose did Haraguchi Shinichi say "just you wait"?

Combining the "what was the intent of 'just you wait'?" mystery with He works for a big company produces the following:

YELLOW EPIPHANY: Shinichi wanted to prove himself by working at a big company
Why did Haraguchi Shinichi say "just you wait"?

If you think about his personality, he would probably compete with Kotomi's current lover and prove himself by working at an even bigger company

: Haraguchi was unemployed
: it wouldn't be odd if he reacted in some way when hearing that Morikawa Kotomi's lover works for a big company
: surely he must have had thoughts about employment in his head

Combining the "what was the intent of 'just you wait'?" mystery with and he's an athlete who's good at surfing produces the following epiphany

YELLO EPIPHANY: Shinichi wanted to prove himself at surfing

If you think about his personality, he would probably compete with Kotomi's current boyfriend, and try to prove himself at surfing.

: Surfing... that's a huge leap for an indoor person like Haraguchi, isn't it?
: He went as far as to lease a sports car just because his rival bragged about his own.
:It's probable that he would try to prove himself at surfing against Morikawa's lover
: even though she got tired of that childish crap... He's even as dumb as a kid

MYSTERY: Did Haraguchi Shinichi give up on living with his daughter?

It seems that Haraguchi Shinichi approached his daughter to live with him when she was on her way to school.
But when Ippei was keeping watch, he did not approach her.
Did Shinichi give up?
formed when combining see that the husband I left does not get close to my daughter with There was no sign of him trying to close to your daughter

hand: It looks like Haraguchi Shinichi didn't approach his daughter just as promised
tsu think: Could he have given up?
: is there a clue that shows that he gave up...?

then another mystery pops up after that one

What was the actual reason that Endou Ritsuko requested the investigation?

Endou Ritsuko was worried about Haraguchi Shinichi getting close to her daughter and requested a watch on him, however he did not approach her whatsoever.

: Endou Ritsuko's request for a watch was meaningless after all
: It's unbelievable to think the target would be killed in just a few days after...
: why did she actually request it in the first place...?
: what did Endou Ritsuko request the watch for in the first place....?
: maybe she wasn't worried about just her daughter

MYSTERY: Why were the positions of dismemberment the same?
Both arms and legs were cut at the same positions.
Why were the positions equally same?
hand: So, the cut positions of the arms and legs were identical to one another, huh....
: It's hard to believe it's just a coincidence
: There must be some purpose, and reason for it but...
: ...what was the reason for the dismembered positions of both the left and right side of the body being the same

Combining that with Central Hospital College of Internal Medicine makes the following yellow epiphany
The placement of cutting they chose made it medically easier to dismember
Why were the positions of cutting the same?
Maybe there was a medical meaning for the position.

: there was a medical meaning for the place of cutting...
: or maybe it was due to a habbit from working in the medical field
: medical field... There's two suspects that fit the bill

MYSTERY: What was the reason that Hachimoto Ippei yawned?

formed when combing "if he makes another mistake then he'll get the axe" with Unbearably dozy he yawns over and over

Hachimoto Ippei was informed by his boss that if he fails, then he'll get fired.
Despite that, he yawns while keeping watch, unreliably.
What was the reason for that?

: It looks like Hachimoto Ippei yawned repeatedly during his watch, huh.
: He's the type that I wouldn't want to work together with
: the reason for tne yawning...

When you combine that mystery with Having been engrossed in a game last night, he stayed up late. it produces the following yellow epiphany:
He dozed off during the watch
Why did Ippei yawn multiple times while keeping watch?
That is because he was engrossed in a game the night before and stayed up late.
It's possible that Ippei dozed off while keeping watch.

: It's possible that Ippei dozed of during the 28th where there is no entry in the Akasha.
: even in the beggining, he showed up late because he overslept from playing a game the night before
: It looked like he was a repeat offender of being late, it's possible that he did...
: it's possible that him dozing off has some effect on the case.

MYSTERY: Did Shinichi not take a bath because a body related reason?

Both Morikawa Kotomi and Endou Ritsuko stated that Haraguchi Shinichi likes baths.
However, there are traces that show the victim did not take go in the bath, instead took a shower.
Did Haraguchi Shinichi not take a bath because of some bodily related reason?

: The reason why Haraguchi Shinichi took a shower instead of a bath, huh...
: could he not take a bath?
https://i.imgur.com/igR6YAo.png[/img]not taking one, or was it someone else who took a shower?

combining that mystery with an insertable ice pillow bag makes the following 3 blue epiphanies:

He had a fever so he took a shower

He was hurt by blunt force so he took a shower

He was sunburned so he took a shower

: Maybe Haraguchi Shinichi had an illness that required him to cool down, or maybe he was bruised
: It's possible... but what kind of illness or bruise are you talking about?
: if that fact is related to the case, then thinking about it with another epiphany should make it clear.

When you combine the keywords Fridge with quite serious cooking utensils that are assembled the following mysteries are formed

MYSTERY: Did Haraguchi accidentally leave his freezer empty?
Haraguchi Shinichi had serious cooking utensils, which would make it seem that he cooks.
However, the fridge only had condiments and canned beer inside.
Did soemthing happen in order cause the fridge to be empty?

MYSTERY: Did Haraguchi purposefully empty his fridge?
Did Haraguchi have some reason to empty his fridge?

: Was the fridge being empty a coincidence or on purpose...?
: Hm... Whatever it is, does it have anything to do with the case?
: I don't know yet.
: Is there a clue that shows why the fridge is empty?

Combining that mystery with a can of meat sauce and a six pack of beer makes the following blue epiphany

Left the fridge empty because he would be away for a while

Did Haraguchi purposefully leave the fridge empty?
It's possible that he had plans to go somewhere for a while, so he avoided buying perishable food like meat or fish.

: It's possible that Haraguchi Shinichi had plans to go somewhere, therefore he didn't buy anything perishable.
: You mean he was killed right before he was going on a vacation?
: looks like we may have to think about when and where he was planning on going from a different point of view

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

Begin Verification

: Haraguchi Shinichi's body was found in the shower room of his home.
music

: The body had it's head, arms and feet all dismembered, an extremely unusual situation

: The police investigation states the victim is indeed Haraguchi
: For what purpose did the culprit cut the five limbs off?
: The mystery of this case surely revolves around this aspect.

: Marunouchi said it was for hiding the identity though...
: It sort of contradicts with the victim being Haraguchi Shinichi,
: Then what else could it be other than hiding the identity?
: It's because... Yoshikawa-san, the honors!
: well then, allow me to prove it.
: Let's begin by taking the following into consideration
: Why did the culprit dismember the five limbs?

VERIFYING: The Reason Why The Five Limbs Were Dismembered

Music
: If you think about why the five limbs were cute, then you will come across various possibilities.
: I thought that the culprit was trying to hide the fact that the victim is not Haraguchi Shinichi...
: But the DNA profiling proved that the victim is definitively none other than Haraguchi Shinichi.
: The body's DNA, and the hair that Haraguchi's prep school student kept matched.
: Yes, the victim was of course Haraguchi Shinichi.
: Which means the reason they cut off the five limbs was for something other than hiding the identity.
: Now, remember this epiphany

Because there were disadvantageous traces left, they dismembered and took away the limbs.

: Therefore, because of this reason, the culprit had no other choice but to cut off the five limbs
: If that reason becomes clear, then you would understand who the culprit is.
: On the contrary, if it becomes clear, then you will unfortunately know who it is
: That's why they dismembered and withdrew the limbs.
: Basically, the five limbs held inconvenient traces for the culprit.
: What could the incontinent traces be?
: You see it after searching through each and every single clue the Akasha leaves.
: Going by the reason the limbs were cut off, we move to the next part
: I want you to take into consideration...
: The matter of why there are traces of Haraguchi Shinichi having taken a shower

VERIFYING: The reason Haraguchi Shinichi took a shower
Music

: Haraguchi Shinichi's clothes and towel he used were thrown into a basket at the scene of the crime
: With that, it seems that Haraguchi used the shower room
: And because the bathtub was dry...
: It's likely he didn't take a bath but took a shower.
: But this contradicts what his ex wife and lover said
: They said that Haraguchi liked baths, and that he had a habit of taking baths for 20 to 30 minutes.
: Why would someone like him not take a bath and instead take a shower?
: if it were Haraguchi Shinichi, he wouldn't settle for a shower and instead take a bath...
: Instead him taking a shower means that it was someone else
: However the hair in the undressed clothes and towel match the body's DNA
: Yes.
: It's true that the one who used the shower is the dead body
: If whoever took a shower isn't Haraguchi Shinichi, that means the body isn't his
: It's someone who really resembles Haraguchi Shinichi; His brother Kyouji!
: That's my logic at least.
: However the body is indeed Haraguchi Shinichi's
: I guess you're right
: It was very wise of you, Tsukasa-kun to focus on clues concerning the shower.
: Unfortunately that interpretation was incorrect.
: Now, I will ask you both once more.
: Even though Haraguchi Shinichi liked baths, why did he take a shower instead?
: Hmmm....
: if you want to wash yourself, but don't have time, you take a shower, right.
: Ah! How about this for example?
: The culprit, before visiting, called him, and said they'll be there soon.
: Haraguchi thought to wash himself beforehand, but there was only a little bit of time
: That's why he didn't take a bath
: I see, you would normally think so, wouldn't you.
: In this situation Hraguchi would think to shower before meeting whoever the culprit was, so...
: You can assume that the culprit was someone that Haraguchi hoped to have a physical relation with
: That kind of person who's part of the case is...
: Morikawa Kotomi who wanted to get back with Haraguchi. She's the culprit!
: However, there's other likely possibilities why he would take a shower instead
: Maybe Haraguchi had an accident, where he got dirty
: He wanted to wash it off, but taking a bath would take too long
: Therefore, he washed it off quickly with a shower. That's a possibility.
: Certainly, that is a believable possibility.
: There's many likely ways he got dirty
: Maybe he spilled beer on himself
: Maybe and ink bottle spilled on him
: Whatever the case, he probably wouldn't take the time to fill the bathtub and bathe
He would take a shower to wash it off
: hmmm, if you think about it.... there's tons of possibilities
: Yes, there are many likely reason why he would take a shower instead
: However, in order to whittle it down, you have to use another clue together
: On a plane, there are many lines that can reach a point
: Bot in order for one point to reach another, only one line exists that can connect them
: Another clue...?
: Now I want you to remember this epiphany

He was sunburned so he took a shower instead

: There was a passage in the Akasha of marunouchi investigating Haraguchi's room
: this part

The dining kitchen's footing is made of flooring, there's a small table, two chairs, kitchen cabinet, fridge, trashcan, and a large LCD TV.

: and this one...

Next to the sink was a garbage can with a lid. Opening the lid shows one ice pillow bag with the seal cut off thrown away with nothing else in the trash can.

He opens the fridge and sees sauce, mayonnaise, tomato ketchup, butter, and a six pack of canned beer. In the freezer was an ice tray and an insertable ice pillow bag.

: There was an ice pillow in the fridge
: and in the garbage can was an ice pillow bag package
: Basically, the ice pillow in the freezer was not left over from summer
:: It was recent, it was opened and left to cool down in the freezer, that's what it means
: Haraguchi had just recently started using the ice pillow
:Now during winter, what would Haraguchi use an icebag for
: well, they're used to help with muscle pain too, but...
: however, Haraguchi doesn't work, and hardly goes outside
: and it's not like he had any exercise equipment
: It's unlikely that he used the ice pillow to soothe his muscles
: Maybe he had a cold or got a fever from the flu?
: Maybe he used the ice pillow to cool his fever...
: Then there would be tissues used to wipe his nose in the trash
: the trash by the sink was empty except for the bag, the trash by the bed was also empty
: then what would he use an icepillow for then?
: If you combine it with him taking only a shower, despite liking baths, then there's only one answer.
: Just one...? Just what is it?
: Haraguchi Shinichi was sunburned.

DUN DUN DUUUUN

juicedup fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 2, 2018

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Well that's interesting news. So if he never went outside, how did he get sunburned? did our helpful friend actually miss him going out, or something else?

Combine the sunburn statement with "the only time Haraguchi went out the door was at 4PM to get the evening paper" and see if anything pops out.

Veriun
Mar 9, 2013

As long as we're alive,
good things will come.

And we'll be okay.
Sunburn? Is it possible to combine that with [The skin is quite pale for a man], which was how the corpse was described? Either way, something ain't right here.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
One confusing thing - the investigation happens on the 30th right? because time of death says " yesterday night at 11 to 12" - I assume this is Jan 29, 11-12 pm? because Tsukasa finds the body on 30th of Janurary, 10 in the morning - so Haraguchi can't die at 11 on the 30th?

I really wonder about the sunburn The watch was from when [I leave for work at 8 in the morning, to when I get back home 8 at night] but somehow our subject got a sunburn - which is the peculiar part. The sunburn probably matches up with the exact length of a clothing item. But...why would the suspect care if the sunburn happened? Maybe because it is January - so I think combining the surfing with a date or it being january/winter might be useful? I dont think Haraguchi could just go to the local beach, so he had to travel. Thinking about that - I think we might be able to reconstruct some events in a timeline with the assumption that Haraguchi got a sunburn -sometime- before Jan 29/30.

We can take the following things into account -
Jan 26th- Ippei starts his watch. Haraguchi meeting up with Morikawa Kotomi. This is the real Haraguchi, because Kotomi would know if it wasn't. Haraguchi is currently pale skinned. Haraguchi then talks about showing Kotomi, implying he plans to surf, and leaves.
Jan 27th - Haraguchi goes to the supermarket buying some non perishable things. His brother visits. Ippei can tell them apart because of the glasses.
Haraguchi probably leaves on his trip today, and gets a sunburn sometime before the 30th.
Jan 28th- Ippei is really sleepy today, so he probably missed something.
Someone resembling Haraguchi is seen. This person is pale. I think this is probably the Kyouji pretending to be his brother.
Jan 29 - Nothing happens on the watch Haraguchi dies from 11pm-Midnight. My inference here is that Haraguchi comes back from his trip after 8pm, has a shower, and is killed by his brother.
Jan 30 - Tsukasa finds the body.

I think that the motive for this is Haraguchi coming back unexpectedly early, finding his brother at his apartment pretending to be him (as is established by the math score thing), possibly getting in a fight, and being killed. Kyouji didn't arrange the watch but probably knows about it due to being in a relationship with Ritsuko. If Haraguchi can be shown to actually have been away during this time, then it makes Kyouji's actions really suspect. Kyouji also probably removed any travel/surfing related things that would imply this.

Also, I think that RedMagus is on the right track with the siblign rivalry. Haraguchi was said to have hit a student and got fired over the math argument. If this is actually Kyouji loving up Haraguchi's life, then there is a huge reason for bad blood,

Ritsuko arranging the watch might be suspicious, but I dont think she would know that Ippei would be a lovely PI. If we look at the initial section, the only reason Ippei gets picked is because he's the last one left. Also, she would have no reason to be concerned with the sunburn, because Haraguchi getting over the custody battle makes the murder point to her even less.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
Sorry for the late response guys.

RedMagus posted:

Well that's interesting news. So if he never went outside, how did he get sunburned? did our helpful friend actually miss him going out, or something else?

Combine the sunburn statement with "the only time Haraguchi went out the door was at 4PM to get the evening paper" and see if anything pops out.

Sorry, the sunburn thing's not a keyword. I added that for effect. The dialog above was from "verification".

I went and looked up the answers, after you input answers into the questions, a verification dialog happens to tell you if you put the right ones in.

Now, about Haraguchi being sunburned, even though he never goes out.
Remember that the culprit can lie. The narration never stated that as a fact.
That's one thing I hate about this game, you can never tell if someone's lying.

Veriun posted:

Sunburn? Is it possible to combine that with [The skin is quite pale for a man], which was how the corpse was described? Either way, something ain't right here.

Nope, and apparently Shinichi being pale is just how he looks, weirdly enough.

One confusing thing - the investigation happens on the 30th right? because time of death says " yesterday night at 11 to 12" - I assume this is Jan 29, 11-12 pm? because Tsukasa finds the body on 30th of Janurary, 10 in the morning - so Haraguchi can't die at 11 on the 30th?

I really wonder about the sunburn The watch was from when [I leave for work at 8 in the morning, to when I get back home 8 at night] but somehow our subject got a sunburn - which is the peculiar part. The sunburn probably matches up with the exact length of a clothing item. But...why would the suspect care if the sunburn happened? Maybe because it is January - so I think combining the surfing with a date or it being january/winter might be useful? I dont think Haraguchi could just go to the local beach, so he had to travel. Thinking about that - I think we might be able to reconstruct some events in a timeline with the assumption that Haraguchi got a sunburn -sometime- before Jan 29/30.

We can take the following things into account -
Jan 26th- Ippei starts his watch. Haraguchi meeting up with Morikawa Kotomi. This is the real Haraguchi, because Kotomi would know if it wasn't. Haraguchi is currently pale skinned. Haraguchi then talks about showing Kotomi, implying he plans to surf, and leaves.
Jan 27th - Haraguchi goes to the supermarket buying some non perishable things. His brother visits. Ippei can tell them apart because of the glasses.
Haraguchi probably leaves on his trip today, and gets a sunburn sometime before the 30th.
Jan 28th- Ippei is really sleepy today, so he probably missed something.
Someone resembling Haraguchi is seen. This person is pale. I think this is probably the Kyouji pretending to be his brother.
Jan 29 - Nothing happens on the watch Haraguchi dies from 11pm-Midnight. My inference here is that Haraguchi comes back from his trip after 8pm, has a shower, and is killed by his brother.
Jan 30 - Tsukasa finds the body.

I think that the motive for this is Haraguchi coming back unexpectedly early, finding his brother at his apartment pretending to be him (as is established by the math score thing), possibly getting in a fight, and being killed. Kyouji didn't arrange the watch but probably knows about it due to being in a relationship with Ritsuko. If Haraguchi can be shown to actually have been away during this time, then it makes Kyouji's actions really suspect. Kyouji also probably removed any travel/surfing related things that would imply this.

Also, I think that RedMagus is on the right track with the siblign rivalry. Haraguchi was said to have hit a student and got fired over the math argument. If this is actually Kyouji loving up Haraguchi's life, then there is a huge reason for bad blood,

Ritsuko arranging the watch might be suspicious, but I dont think she would know that Ippei would be a lovely PI. If we look at the initial section, the only reason Ippei gets picked is because he's the last one left. Also, she would have no reason to be concerned with the sunburn, because Haraguchi getting over the custody battle makes the murder point to her even less.

Very interesting. I haven't read that far into the answers, so the whole swithcharoo business could have very well taken place if Kyouji let Shinichi know he was being watched, I think.

So far, I think we're on the third question, about the unnatural aspects of the scene of the crime.

And question 4 is "what cause the crime was committed "

Ya'll can go ahead an throw out theories if you want, unfortunately I already know.
The answer is quite something.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Can you answer the "why did Haraguchi Shinichi make a math mistake?" with Kyouji's poor math scores?

Also -I wonder about we divorced one year ago. It was because of his drinking, frivolity, and domestic abuse and I advised Ritsuko-san to think about getting a divorce.

supposed to see her the following day after he was killed might be relevant somewhere. Same with could it be that Kyouji likes Endou Ritsuko

For Question 3, maybe?
He was sunburned so he took a shower
Left the fridge empty because he would be away for a while

Still out on question 4 though. The answer to What about : What was the actual reason that Endou Ritsuko requested the investigation? - might be relevant though?

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna go hog wild with my theory: his brother killed him, he did it because he was slowly wrecking his brother's life so his wife would divorce him, and he could then marry her.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I'm thinking it was the wife, who maybe discovered he'd been swapping lives with Kyouji (her anger would be directed at Shinichi since she would probably blame him).

Is there any chance we can connect his wife's statement that he 'raised his hand at me in a drunken rage' with removal of the hands? It's unlikely, but maybe she was abused and snapped after finding further deception, and the cutting off of limbs was symbolic psychologically.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?
Final update!

: Even though he liked baths, he took a shower instead because the sunburn hurt so much that he couldn't go in the bathtub
: He started applying the ice pillow to the sunburned parts to sooth the pain and burning
: sunburned...
: Hm... Sunburn huh...
: Well... that happened to me when I was a kid actually
: During the middle of summer I went to the ocean and got sunburned, the pain was unbearable when I tried to take a bath that night
: Then my mom cooled it with ice
: Hmmm... Something's doesn't sit right
: Let me ask you a question, Yoshikawa-kun. Where was Haraguchi sunburned
(game gives a pop quiz)
: Haraguchi was sunburned on his face, hands and feet
: Remember this part of the akasha

Marunouchi leaves the shower room, the police surgeon steps inside. The surgeon undresses the pajamas off the body. The paleness of the body was unusually pale for a man. While the surgeon was inspecting the body, Marunouchi investigates the room.

: The body was unusually pale for a man...
: Meaning that Haraguchi's body had no sunburn.
: Yes, this is what was bothering me
: If the body wasn't sunburned, then where was he sunburned...?
: Above his neck, arms, and feet, is the only possibility.
: above his neck, arms and feet....?
: Wait, aren't those the parts that were dismembered and taken?
: The culprit purposefully cut off and took away the parts that were sunburned
: Exactly. Haraguchi was only sunburned on his face, hands and feet
: The culprit dismembered and took away the parts that were sunburned in order to hide the fact that Haraguchi was sunburned
: Basically, the disadvantageous trace that the culprit didn't want to be found out was that Haraguchi was sunburned.
: W-Wait
: If his face, hands and feet were sunburned, isn't it possible to take a bath?
: Your face wouldn't normally touch the water, and you just have to keep your hands and feet out and it'll be fine....
: If you raise your feet up then they will be out of the water
: It certainly is possible
: however, you have to put your feet in once when you go into the bathtub
: moreover, it would be an uncomfortable position to raise your feet out
: It would be fine if you could use your hands but since his were sunburned he couldn't
: you would have to keep holding on to the edge of the bathtub
: If you had to keep this position, then it would be natural to chose a shower instead
: With a shower, it's simple to not submerge parts that are sunburned in water
: That's... right...
: But, there still some problems
: You may not be aware in this world without a sense of reality or a sense of weather, but... It's winter right now
: How would he get sunburned?
: Allow me to explain once more how Haraguchi became sunburned
: Haraguchi Shinichi became sunburned, and the culprit dismembered and took away the sunburned body parts
: With that in mind, let's move on
:Why was Haraguchi's refrigerator empty? ...Let's think about that

VERIFYING: The reason the fridge was empty
: First I want you to remember this epiphany

"Left the fridge empty because he would be away for a while

Did Haraguchi purposefully leave the fridge empty?
It's possible that he had plans to go somewhere for a while, so he avoided buying perishable food like meat or fish."

: This epiphany was found from this passage of the akasha

"The dining kitchen's footing is made of flooring, there's a small table, two chairs, kitchen cabinet, fridge, trashcan, and a large LCD TV.

The LCD tv is placed on top of a stand, in the storage space of the stand were various movie DVDs.
Under the sink were fry pans, pots and bowls, on the door were 3 knives hanging. There are quite serious cooking utensils that are assembled, oddly Haraguchi seemed to cook for himself which is rare for a man who lives alone."

: Haraguchi Shinichi cooked for himself which is odd for a single man.
: However, it was written that there was only condiments and canned beer in the fridge.
: Mean, Vegetables, eggs, none of that was written. Meaning... there wasn't any in there
: Isn't it odd that someone who cooks for themselves has no meat, vegetables or eggs.
: This is because he would be away for a few days so he didn't leave any of perishable food behind.
: A couple of days, do you mean a trip?
: Oooh a trip... If it were on this season it would have to be a skiing trip
: Since it's been cold for a while, the snow must be nice
: if it were me, I would be off to the hot springs
: Watching the snow inside an open air bath up in north east japan is the best
: Ah, and after the winter season is over, going overseas is fun too!
: I can't though since I have no money...
: Now that everyone's done travelling to their hometowns, it's a good time to visit mine
: Quit planning your vacations for a while, you two
: Where did Haraguchi Shinichi go to?
Answers:
1. Ski trip
2. Hot springs
3. Overseas
4. Hometown in the country
5. The location doesn't matter

: It's unknown where he went
: You don't know!? What do you mean?
: The location isn't important in the first place
: The fact that he took a trip is important in itself
: You mean, that wherever Haraguchi Shinichi went, has nothing to with the case?
: That's what I mean
: What Haraguchi Shinichi taking a trip has to do with the case will become clear momentarily
: Keeping that fact in ming, let's move on
: Let's think about...
: What Haraguchi Shinichi did in regard to Morikawa Kotomi

VERIFYING: Haraguchi Shinichi's conduct

: There was this epiphany regarding Haraguchi Shinichi's actions

" Shinichi wanted to prove himself at surfing

If you think about his personality, he would probably compete with Kotomi's current boyfriend, and try to prove himself at surfing."

: Remember Morikawa Kotomi's words which created this epiphany

: She broke up with Haraguchi and went with someone who's good at surfing
: Haraguchi became depressed hearing that
: Maybe Haraguchi practiced surfing secretly in order to prove himself to Kotomi.
: This anecdote that Morikawa Kotomi said about Haraguchi supports that

"His competitiveness would work in strange ways. He had a cat and dog relationship with a fellow teacher when he used to work at the prep school, the other teacher had a sports car that he bragged about and brought it to the school often. Then Haraguchi goes and buys a sports car that's one rank higher and drove that to school. He even put down all his saving so he could get a loan on that sports car. What an idiot"

: He would try to surpass opponents that he hates at their field
: That is Haraguchi behavior pattern
: If you think about it Haraguchi would surely practice surfing secretly
: on the 26th he said "just you wait" to Morikawa Kotomi at a cafe
: Which meant, just you wait and see for me to get better at surfing than your new lover"
: Th-That's the wrong way to utilize his effort...
: But why would an indoor person like Haraguchi Shinichi suddenly start surfing
: And so what if he started surfing?
: The fact that Haraguchi Shinichi started surfing...
: This is very important to the case
: When all conclusions tie together, that's when you will see itself
: Hm... Well I don't see it yet
: Well, officer Marunouchi, let's move on so you can see
: Let's summerise all the verification results
: 1, The reason the culprit cut and took away the five limbs was because the culprit wanted to get rid of disadvantageous traces
: 2, Haraguchi Shinichi was sunburned
: 3, Haraguchi took a trip
: 4, Haraguchi Shinichi had a rivalry with Morikawa Kotomi's new lover, so he began surfing
: All of these connect into one straight line... that is truth
: Truth you say... I don't really get it
: Do they really connect?
: They should...
: You don't look very confiden
(Apparently I got the location of the trip question wrong, it was actually overseas)

: Remember the places where Haraguchi Shinichi was sunburned

: Is there anything that comes to mind about his appearance
: Eh? Nothing really...
: I've never seen such an odd sunburn before
: Right, this form of sunburn is odd
: But there is a way to be suburned like this
: What would that be?
: You don't know?
: It's a wet suit
: A wet suit!?
: Wait, the thing you wear at the beach?
: That's it.
: A wet suit has long sleeves, they're also called body suits
They're worn on the whole body except for the head, hands and feet
: If you wore this and became sunburned...
: Only your head, arms and feet would be sunburned
: Get it now?
: Those are same parts that were dismembered and taken away
: The traces of sunburn on the five limbs shows..
: That Haraguchi went to overseas an overseas beach, wore a wet suit to surf
: U-Unbelievable
: I never would have though that the dismembered parts hid that kind of meaning...
: First, Haraguchi meets with Morikawa Kotomi on the 26th and begins to get the idea to surf
: Afterwards, he empties his fridge in order take a trip to practice surfing overseas
: It's possible to practice in Japan during winter, but he may run into Morikawa Kotomi's lover
: That must have been the reason to practice overseas
: Haraguchi took a trip overseas to practice surfing
: Then Haraguchi becomes sunburned on the parts that weren't covered by wetsuit, above his neck, arms, and feet
: Those sunburned parts were disadvantageous for the culprit
: That's why the culprit dismembered the sunburned parts at the boundary where the sunburn began
: The cutting position were all the same because
: The part that weren't sunburned matched with the left and right parts
: hm, hmmm
: I guess I can accept that reason for the cuttting position being the same
: I see...
: Haraguchi forgot to wear sunblock when he was practicing surfing then
: Then his head, hands and feet became sunburned...
: Since he's an indoor person he didn't think of using cream maybe...
: One thing to note is that while wearing a body suit, it becomes hot, and dehydration can occur shortly
:Thinking about that, the place that Haraguchi surfed was...
: A place that has better sun than winter japan, but a place that isn't too hot
: If it was in the middle of summer then Haraguchi would become dehydrated and wouldn't have time to become sunburned
: Even if it wasn't very hot, Haraguchi still became sunburned because he has weak skin
: Because he liked baths that weakened his skin
: hm...
: But we still don't know the importan part
: We've come this far and we don't knwo the culprit's motive, or their name
: That'll be explained by this mystery which will become important
: When did Haraguchi go overseas?

VERIFYING: When did Haraguchi go overseas

He went overseas from the 28th to the 30th

Yoshikawa refers to this part

Ippei is at the window seat of Charade the following morning of the 28th at 8AM. Unbearably dozy he yawns over and over. Having been engrossed in a game last night, he stayed up late. The waitress must have lost interest, since she pays no heed to Ippei.

At 9:00 AM Haraguchi comes out of room 103 like always, and goes to the mailbox like always, returning with the newspaper in hand. He goes back into his room as his pale face yawns.

Yoshikawa says that only Hachimoto Ippei is the only one to testify about Haraguchi's actions during the time period from to 28 to 30th

says, maybe the book just didn't include the culprit's actions
To which Yoshikawa says that it's a fact that Haraguchi went oveerseas on the 28th

That shows that only one person can be the culprit

VERIFYING: Who is the culprit

: Remember this epiphany

He dozed off during the watch
Why did Ippei yawn multiple times while keeping watch?
That is because he was engrossed in a game the night before and stayed up late.
It's possible that Ippei dozed off while keeping watch.

: Going by the sunburn, Haraguchi was away overseas from the morning of the 28th until the 30th
: During this time frame, Hachimoto Ippei reported Haraguchi's actions to Endou Ritsuko by phone every night
: "He only went to get the paper in the morning and evening, and went to shop in the afternoon"
: However, the reports from the 28th to the 30th were all a lie
: Because during this time Haraguchi was away overseas
: The following day, the 31st was when Haraguchi was goint to visit his daughter
: If the daughter were to see her dad sunburned, then she would likely tell her mom, Endou Ritsuko about that
: She would tell Endou Ritsuko that Haraguchi went overseas
: Then, Hachimoto Ippei's false report would get found out
: He couldn't let Haraguchi's sunburned figure be seen by Endou Ritsuko's daughter
: Hachimoto Ippei was told that if he were to fail this time, he would get fired
: If his false report was told to his boss, it would be over
: In order to prevent getting fired, he killed Haraguchi, then dismembered and took away the sunburned parts
: The culprit is...
: Hachimoto Ippei. I can't think of anyone else but him.

kenshou shuryou

: I can't belive Hachimoto Ippei is the culprit...
: It's just as it's written in the Akasha, on the morning of the 28th Hachimoto Ippei was so sleepy that he couldn't help it
: Maybe because of that, he missed Haraguchi Shinichi leaving
: Hachimoto Ippei must have turned pale when he realized his mistake, and thought Haraguchi would come back
: That night, in his report to Endou Ritsuko he says that Haraguchi was at home like usual
: However, Haraguchi didn't come back following the 29th
: Hachimoto Ippei must have been uneasy, yet he reports the same thing that night
: On the 30th he see Haraguchi come back sunburned from his trip, surely he must have been panicked
: I have to kill him before the visit on the 31st... That's probably what he thought.
: Hachimoto Ippei brings a knife and saw on the 31st and pays a visit to Haraguchi's house from 11 to 12
: I don't know what kind of excuse he have but it was probably something about a way to take custody of his daughter
: That would be a way to get his interest
: Hachimoto Ippei enters Haraguchi's house after he believes him, and kills him when he doesn't expect it
: Then he cuts off the parts that show that he went to a trip overseas and takes them away
: Haraguchi probably couldn't understand why a man he doesn't know killed him when he died
: Hmm... I see
: The culprit cut off the five limbs so he wouldn't get fired huh.
: There's something that's bothering me though...
: What is it?
: Look at the Akasah. The last part of the first chapter

"Ippei thinks this is quite a bore.
Although it would be troublesome if the target moved all the time, but a static target is just as bad. It would be much more entertaining if he moved at least a little in order to test out some tailing arts. More exciting jobs would be appreciated since he's been looking forward to being a private eye.
Ippei would never have thought that Haraguchi would be killed two days later."

: Since the Akasha doesn't lie, shouldn't this sentence be true?
: If Hachimoto-kun is the culprit, wouldn't he naturally know that Haraguchi would be killed
: It's a passage from the 28th
: Understand?
: Hachimoto Ippei thought to kill Haraguchi when he saw that he was sunburned from coming back on the 30th
: He didn't think to kill him on the 28th.
: That's why it doesn't contradict the sentence, "Ippei would never have thought that Haraguchi would be killed two days later"
: What this sentence says is...
: That Hachimoto had no intention to kill on the 28th
: Ah, I see... that makes sense...
: But what a dreadful story
: He stayed up late playing a game, becomes sleepy... and kills so it doesn't get found out
: I know it's bad to think simplisticly, but do games cause violence?
: There might be those types of games
: But it's the same for television, movies, music, novels, internet, home environment...
: thanks, you saved me again
: I'd better drag out Hachimoto before he disposes of the head, arms and feet.
: ...if I can
: I'd like to give you a beer
: Well then, excuse me

: I'm sorry...
: It looks like because I tried to deduce this and that, it made the case hard to understand...
: I thought that I would try my best by myself...
: You helped.
: I actually had the same idea as you while reading.
: I would have been in trouble if you didn't do your type of deduction
: Gr
: ...but why did the culprit join me in investigating the case, I wonder?
: Maybe he was worried that Haraguchi told one of his acquaintances about going overseas
: If they did then Hachimoto's report from the 28th to 30th would be found out as a lie
: He wanted to find out if Haraguchi talked about going overseas
: He pretended to investigate with you in order to question Haraguchi's acquaintances
: Do you remember?
: when you were questioning Endou, Kyouji, Kotomi
: Hachimoto Ippei would always ask, "Did Haraguchi-san say anything else?"
: Ah, now that I think about it...
: He wanted to make sure that Haraguchi didn't talk about his overseas trip.
: luckily for Hachimoto ippei, Haraguchi didn't talk about it
: Haraguchi was probably too ashamed
: To say that he would go overseas to practice surfing in order to prove himself to the person who broke up with him

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
This is dumb as gently caress. The private detective fell asleep and missed the victim leaving? And to cover it up he killed him? To save his stupid job? After it set up the twin thing and the brother being bad at maths?

Video games bad???

I think this game is terrible, no matter who writes the stories. The stories may be okay (except this one) but the game is needlessly complicated.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
I had wondered why the 29th was basically skipped over - and so we have a huge omission there on whatever happened. At least my timeline was mostly right, except Ippei was the one to kill him on the evening he came back.

I had briefly entertained the thought of Ippei being it but didn't think the game would go for it.

These last two stories have been signposted really awkwardly I feel like. I guess it is sort of real, like the last one, in that you really have to sort the logic out - its still not fun.

juicedup
Nov 9, 2016

You wanna get squirted?

eating only apples posted:

This is dumb as gently caress. The private detective fell asleep and missed the victim leaving? And to cover it up he killed him? To save his stupid job? After it set up the twin thing and the brother being bad at maths?

Video games bad???

I think this game is terrible, no matter who writes the stories. The stories may be okay (except this one) but the game is needlessly complicated.

Yeah, this system of solving murders from tons of pages and red herrings doesn't work very well.
The writters are purposefully obstructing logic by adding in tons of fluff.

I appreciate that they're trying to be different from Ace Attorney, but it just doesn't work.

I had wondered why the 29th was basically skipped over - and so we have a huge omission there on whatever happened. At least my timeline was mostly right, except Ippei was the one to kill him on the evening he came back.

I had briefly entertained the thought of Ippei being it but didn't think the game would go for it.

These last two stories have been signposted really awkwardly I feel like. I guess it is sort of real, like the last one, in that you really have to sort the logic out - its still not fun.

Yeah, if they just made the stories succinct and quick without multiple mysteries, then maybe it would be fun, but who knows.

I'm just glad to be done with it, there were some cool tricks but they weren't executed properly.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Oof, that's just some weak writing. I really do appreciate you sticking with this game, it's a good attempt and have some interesting ideas, but obviously they skimped on writers or there's something that's cultural and not coming across.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random_Username
Jan 1, 2013
You know how some games have a “hard mode”, but all they do is give the bosses more health? I didn’t think something like that was possible for a puzzle game, but there you go. I can’t really say it’s more challenging than your typical Phoenix Wright, it’s just has more red herrings and obtuse interactions.

Also, being one degree removed from the case and its suspects makes it kind of cold and clinical. Even winning the case doesn’t really have much accomplishment, since it just means some character you never met is going to jail. At first I thought I was mad at the game because I didn’t figure out the solution, but I would’ve been mad even if I did.

It’s a shame. The game tried something different, and it just did not work for me.

• Locked thread