Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

llarion is a free open source MMORPG that focuses on true role playing. All of the characters that you will encounter during your time here are living, breathing inhabitants of this mysterious world. Each character has their own past, goals, flaws, strengths and personality. Experience glorious adventures as a noble knight or live the life of a hardworking craftsman, acquisitive merchant, or charismatic priest of the gods. The decisions that you make while playing Illarion will actually impact and shape the world around you. Your actions will determine the events that will one day fill the pages of Illarion's history books.

The Illarion Vision

quote:

The vision that drives Illarion's developers and volunteers daily to develop the game Illarion, with no financial reimbursement, is the goal of creating an online role playing game, which concentrates on true role-playing in a classic fantasy world. Illarion is operated for the public without profit, and is free for players.

Illarion provides a huge number of possibilities for the creation of characters, without limiting them to classes. Each player should be able to sculpt their own character and the adventures they experience based on their own imagination, and to have them actively participate in the adventures of other characters. The game thrives on cooperative interaction, even amongst opposing characters. The player will continuously write the history of Illarion. Credible political groups shall support this goal.

Illarion is open to all players, regardless of nationality, language and role-playing experience. The main target audience are casual gamers who maintain a distant relationship with their characters, and are thus able to engage in real role play.

Each player has the right, but also the duty, to shape the game world as they desire. This spans from active participation in in-game events to the use of our game content editors, which are accessible to all players.

No-one should log into the game without knowing of the tasks and adventures he can partake in. The world Illarion is a dynamic, ever-changing world, giving options to players through its quests and events, while thriving and growing from the input of player actions. No-one should play the game merely for the trivialities of the day to day in-game life amongst small groups, but to get involved in the wider, major global events that affect all players equally.

Goals pursued by a player should go beyond generic accumulation of objects, skills and gold coins. Our simple game mechanics ensure that each style of play and each effort is equally rewarded, refraining from the introduction of technical restrictions and keeping monitoring of the players to the bare minimum. Freedom, to bring cooperative role-play into the world as you see fit, is above any point or rule. A player of Illarion is not a consumer of ready-made content, but that which itself shapes the community and the world of Illarion itself.

The Current Storyline

quote:

The lands are in turmoil. The War of the Gems has shaken the realms to their core. Refugees flock to the bastions of the land Illarion that were spared from the hardships of the past. Six gems of power were given to the Lords of these bastions for safekeeping; but jealousy, betrayal and envy are the ever present scourges in the constant struggle for power. Noble Cadomyr, wealthy Galmair or wise Runewick - whose side will you join?

Mandatory MMO wedding.

Character Creation

Before you make a character reference this list of all the current skills and their associated lead attribute. If you create a new character, keep this list in mind so you don't end up with a weak fighter or a dumb magician and complain that you didn't know how to distribute your attributes.
  • Alchemy: Essence
  • Carpentry: Dexterity
  • Concussion Weapons: Strength
  • Cooking And Baking: Dexterity
  • Distance Weapons: Perception
  • Farming: Constitution
  • Firing Bricks: Constitution
  • Fishing: Constitution
  • Flute: Dexterity
  • Gemcutting: Dexterity
  • Glass Blowing: Dexterity
  • Goldsmithing: Dexterity
  • Harp: Dexterity
  • Herblore: Constitution
  • Horn: Dexterity
  • Lute: Dexterity
  • Mining: Constitution
  • Parry: Agility
  • Poisoning: Perception
  • Puncture Weapons: Agility
  • Slashing Weapons: Strength
  • Smithing: Dexterity
  • Tailoring: Dexterity
  • Woodcutting: Constitution
  • Wrestling: Strength
  • Magic: Intelligence

My suggestion in character creation would be to max the attributes for your character's primary skills and ignore the rest. It is possible to tweak your attributes later in game - but it can get expensive so starting with an appropriate base is advisable.

For a warriors you probably want a combination of Constitution, Strength, Agility, Dexterity, and Perception.
For a Mage you

Important leveling note Illarion has a unique mechanic called 'Mental Capacity' which, simply put, rewards players who actively participate in aspects of the game other than skill grinding.
Basically this means you will gain skill points faster after an hour in which your character roleplayed, or wandered the world, or did anything other than actively train skills, than in an hour you grinded skill points mindlessly. Think of it as rested XP you're saving up by participating in the game world, and cashing in while you train skills.

Role Playing Advice
Here's some general role playing advice to get you going in the world of Illarion
  • Everyone is an orphan for some reason so i guess you can be too?
  • Be whatever you want to be. Nas said so. Seriously though Miners and Merchants are important and can also be decent fighters. Mages are a bit :gay: though.
  • Find the in-game library and read a few pages of the world's history to make sure your backstory is grounded in Illarion. - While telling an elf you're a street tough from Harlem *IS* role playing it unfortunately does not fit our theme.
  • Start out slow with basic interactions and try to pick up on the world's lore overtime - this will inform your character and make your role play more credible
  • Give some thought to who your character is and let that show in your interactions with others. If you're always reacting you won't feel like you're effectively portraying your character
  • Don’t be afraid to “evolve” as your character gets “wiser” or experienced. Your motivations, character “direction” and mindset can/may change in some way during your character’s storyline.
  • RP is about character interactions and being in character, not one-sided speeches. Live your character, but share the stage.
  • Avoid “taking over” another RPer’s event, scene or grandstanding in a conversation. The “It’s all about me!” mindset can backfire.
  • Not every RPer is a “hero”. Even “normal” people can have adventures. Even the “ordinary” can be “extraordinary”.

If I had to describe the 'game' itself to a friend, I'd call it an unapologetically hacky version of Ultima Online. That said, serious love and care has been poured into this game by the devs and though it is undoubtedly dated from a tech perspective that really doesn't matter if you're interested in the world building and roleplaying side of things.

Finally, dear goons I invite my neck-bearded brethren to join me in Illarion to set in motion a series of events that will change the world forever! We will corner the market in honey bun production and overthrow the aristocracy!

Venture forth!
http://illarion.org/

Litterbox fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004
Member since 2004... still can't make BB code work for me. Sorry for the garbage formatting.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Finally a MMO I can play natively on my Gentoo install.
A FOSS MMORPG sounds awesome.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Why are you making parachute accounts if you're just going to post in the thread anyway Alex?

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
This looks like complete poo poo, OP. Like someone's first ever gamemaker project

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004
Agreed. It's hacky and lovely as hell but that's not really the point.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

This looks insanely epic. I can't wait to one day fill the pages of Illarion's history books. Can I run it in Chrome?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
is there open pvp?

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.
see that just means the goon crew will own insanely hard

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Is this game fun with goons? Someone give me the skinny on how much I can grief the pubbies.

Seanzor
Mar 22, 2013

Jeez, there are obscure MUDs—by MUD standards!—with better concurrency. :(

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
A f2p, open source, RP enforced MMORGP? This sounds so terrible I might actually have to install it.

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004

Control Volume posted:

Is this game fun with goons? Someone give me the skinny on how much I can grief the pubbies.

Well if enough of us join (5-10 should do) we can form a large-enough faction to take over the government in any of the three cities. After that we can use all the tax revenue to build monuments to Lowtax, or whatever we want. This is a long con. Likely the pubbies wont go softly and our characters will quite weak compared to the people who have been playing for 5 years. There's a magic gem system that rewards longevity and loyalty to a city. We will probably never win a fair fight but our strength would be in zerging.

Alternatively, we could form a short-lived but hilarious evil faction that will give the pubbies something to rally around and emote about for a few days before they destroy us or we lose interest.

The "game" is objectively terrible but it has its charms. If you're not interested in roleplaying though - probably the best way to wreck havoc and have a laugh - it's probably not worth your time.

Litterbox fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 21, 2017

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I just realized this was not made recently, but in... 2001 or so? given how far back their forums go.

How is this game still alive?

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
The game is so niche itll probably keep going until the remaining 50 or so people who play all die. The same as with the few MUDS that still have something resembling a population.

Litterbox
Nov 9, 2004
Exactly this. RP enforced mmos are pretty much non-existent outside of MUDS.

I think there's a pretty passionate core of people who have stuck with it and others who return for a few months at a time. The devs I think are just hobbyists and not actual game makers (Clearly?) who are really into world building and genuinely seem to enjoy creating new scripts and things for people to play with.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
I was going to make an account and log in so I could tell everyone I met that I was gay, but there were five people online according to their front page and I just... didn't.

Digital Decay
Dec 16, 2007
Reiteration #6,637,776,216
I'd just play Ultima Online.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Digital Decay posted:

I'd just play Ultima Online.

Ultima Online is like the World of Warcraft to this game's Ultima Online.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I cannot wait to become Sephirot, Weed Lord of the Boner Hills.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

In as [LLJK]Pubsmasher, someone hook me up with a guild invite. Also has anyone figured out how to run this in Chrome yet?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It would be fun to roll through a game like this and roleplay as some kind of bloodthirsty anarchist spacer cult but when there are only 5 people to resist what's the point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
I couldn't give a dead dog's dick pull about the game, but it's open source so I might as well delve through their code base.

• Locked thread