Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek

Deadbolt is a hidden gem, undiscovered, between the numerous and uncountable spam of indie game releases we see these days, the genius game developers put in your hands the ability to control perhaps the greatest re-imagination of Death, or its personification: The Grim Reaper. In this game you don't take the lives of ordinary dull people, instead you take care of a world ravaged by unholy creatures of the dark, zombies, vampires and the like. And the greater twist that sold me this game was the personalities given to these undead monsters, the mindless George Romero walkers are replaced with cool-gun-blazing gangstas, and the classic Bram Stoker ceiling-striding vampires are replaced with ceiling-striding mobsters and ganglords.

The Gameplay is very minimalist and addictive, it is so much fun to murder your targets that you don't get bored of repeatedly dying, just cause you get the chance to kill more-- and you do die a lot. The nameless protagonist works during the late hours, operating from his deadbeat apartment, working more as the Fire's hired assassin than the instrument of God. The game seasoned with the coolest soundtrack I've ever heard since Rockstar's Bully, it truly fits the mood and the vision of the game's overall aesthetics and feel. I really love this game, it's the kind that you would launch after a long day, as you get to be immersed in stress-free reaping experience. (it can be stressful if you allow it to be, at which point the game prompt you to close it and try later with a better and new perspective, +1 for the savvy devs)

Why should I watch this?

If you enjoy indie games, and you are tired of all those mediocre minecraft or point-and-click clones then that should be enough. I would really love it if people watched me play through this game, but it'd make me even happier if some of you managed to try it afterwards.

Spoilers Policy?

It's a gameplay heavy game, so you can't really spoil anything, everybody dies here. Duh, you are playing as a Grim Reaper ffs.

Upload Schedule

Ideally it should be a minimum of 2 vids a week, and a maximum of 4, we will see how it goes.

Interaction with viewers

There is not much room for us to interact in since there is little choices to be made in the game, however you could suggest what weapons ya'll wanna see used more often down the road, and if they aren't lovely we could use them for a couple stages or levels. And yes there is a Scythe but its loving expensive, this some broke rear end Grim Reaper we are playing with.

Why are you using Vid.me instead of youtube? That is so strange it scares me!

I dunno I just abhor Youtube nowadays, used to love it but it doesn't respect content creators anymore. Also Vidme is a rising creator-friendly platform that has the coolest design, layout and ease of upload. Also no ads, for now, so no more lovely ads to interrupt the viewing experience.
---

Skypizza fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
This looks really cool. May pick it up.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's like someone took Not A Hero and made it slower and uglier

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
As someone who requested this game and someone with a passionate love/hate relationship with this game, :getin:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Zenithe posted:

As someone who requested this game and someone with a passionate love/hate relationship with this game, :getin:

Same. Looking forward to see how it's done; the process is addicting and the music and atmosphere are great, but this game? Is hard. Really, really hard, in a way that sneaks up on you at first; once you learn the rules and establish the flow the first few levels are ok enough to handle, but then new rules get introduced. And new enemies... And given that the Reaper himself is kind of a glass cannon, the difficulty curb starts steep and goes vertical, pretty fast. (I still haven't actually beaten it yet.)

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

resurgam40 posted:

Same. Looking forward to see how it's done; the process is addicting and the music and atmosphere are great, but this game? Is hard. Really, really hard, in a way that sneaks up on you at first; once you learn the rules and establish the flow the first few levels are ok enough to handle, but then new rules get introduced. And new enemies... And given that the Reaper himself is kind of a glass cannon, the difficulty curb starts steep and goes vertical, pretty fast. (I still haven't actually beaten it yet.)

I didn't find it so much as sneaking up on you, more like walking along and then stepping on a rake, then another rake, then all you can see is rakes. Also, a note on the music, there is a really neat filter when you are outside or in the vents, implying that the gangs are playing the actual soundtrack. Gunpoint, a visually similar game had a similar idea.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I played the poo poo out of Deadbolt when I picked it up in.... some humble bundle probably. It's a really solid game.

The scythe loving rules

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.
poo poo, was working on my hard mode runs to lp this too. You planning on sharing all of the tapes OP? I can grab screenshots or some poo poo, since there actually is a subdued plot just like Risk of Rain.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Do an all achievements run.

:gibs:

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Crane Fist posted:

It's like someone took Not A Hero and made it slower and uglier

Deadbolt doesn't have a glitch in one of the last levels that made it impossible to complete for me, so I'm gonna say it's better.

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Nie wywoluj wilka z lasu, glupku.
Chris Christodolou is the greatest gift to videmo game music there is out there.

This game is better than Not A Hero

There should be more stealth levels though? I mean Bogeyman is MAYBE my favorite level in a video game.

If Skypizza doesn't want to go insane and do an all achievements run, I will.

Edit: I mean seriously.

Ashes to Ashes to Ashes to Ashes is just... SO GOOD.

Edit edit:

Scythe is trash. Fight me.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Apr 20, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Bacter posted:

If Skypizza doesn't want to go insane and do an all achievements run, I will.

Haha, what?

e. for context:

Zenithe fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Apr 21, 2017

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Zenithe posted:

Haha, what?

Edit: Got death/famine simultaneously, which didn't unlock conquest until I logged in again! VV

Bacter fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 21, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

:eyepop:

Wait, you didn't get the Death achievement last?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Death itself really isn't that bad, and famine itself really isn't that bad. Deadbolt is a VERY precise game, to the point that a lot of what happens can sort of feel like RNG (does the enemy in the floor below you hear your gunshot and come running or not? It can be a matter of frames) but it isn't. If you get your good route, it'll carry you to sweet victory.

Getting both death AND famine is a huge pain. This game is really too long for runs where the FIRST mistake probably ends things.

Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek
Part two is up, I swear when you don't plan on being productive you actually accomplish poo poo.

---

Nebiros posted:

poo poo, was working on my hard mode runs to lp this too. You planning on sharing all of the tapes OP? I can grab screenshots or some poo poo, since there actually is a subdued plot just like Risk of Rain.

I addressed that in the new vid, I already got like a couple of them so I guess I will be including the tapes. Also amma keep you in mind in case I give up on farming a certain tape, sidenote: those little icons of the cassettes are so cute.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Do an all achievements run.

:gibs:

I am in no way planning to do an achievement hunt after those screenshots Bacter just shared, I mean come one, finish the game in an hour and without dying? uhh no. Alright maybe after I am done with this LP I will do an achievement hunt (I.e speed run in Deadbolt's case).

Bacter posted:

Death itself really isn't that bad, and famine itself really isn't that bad. Deadbolt is a VERY precise game, to the point that a lot of what happens can sort of feel like RNG (does the enemy in the floor below you hear your gunshot and come running or not? It can be a matter of frames) but it isn't. If you get your good route, it'll carry you to sweet victory.

Getting both death AND famine is a huge pain. This game is really too long for runs where the FIRST mistake probably ends things.

I feel like this game is a mix of mastering its mechanics, exploiting certain animations or mob logic, as well as perfect timing or luck really. Also I shot you a PM back!

Skypizza fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Apr 21, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Skypizza posted:

I feel like this game is a mix of mastering its mechanics,

It's Gunpoint Miami.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zenithe posted:

It's Gunpoint Miami.

That is exactly my thought.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bacter posted:

This game is better than Not A Hero

Problematic

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Well, reasonable people can disagree.

For a CLOWN

Anyway, for each set of levels there's a sub-boss and a final boss. I'll do two videos per level set, and release them about when Skypizza gets to the appropriate level (I might lag or lead by one level, be warned). The first takes me to the sub-boss, the second beats the level set.

So when it comes to an all-achievements run, there is only one real hurdle, but it's a HECK of a hurdle. You have to beat the game in under an hour, with no deaths. Once you do that, you have as many tries as you want to get everything else, which makes getting those achievements trivial.

This set of videos, therefore, will show off how to do a run of the game meeting those conditions. Towards the end, if my poor lappy can handle that much recording, I'll assemble the full thing. Then we'll pick off any remaining achievements, and then I guess be happy for the rest of our lives.

Bacter fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 22, 2017

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Are... are you doing live commentary?

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

No guarantees on that keeping up - the later levels aren't cakewalks, and I don't know that anybody wants to hear me screaming every time i have to open a door and fire quickly!

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bacter posted:

For a CLOWN

Anyway, for each set of levels there's a sub-boss and a final boss. I'll do two videos per level set, and release them about when Skypizza gets to the appropriate level (I might lag or lead by one level, be warned).

So when it comes to an all-achievements run, there is only one real hurdle, but it's a HECK of a hurdle. You have to beat the game in under an hour, with no deaths. Once you do that, you have as many tries as you want to get everything else, which makes getting those achievements trivial.

This set of videos, therefore, will show off how to do a run of the game meeting those conditions. Towards the end, if my poor lappy can handle that much recording, I'll assemble the full thing. Then we'll pick off any remaining achievements, and then I guess be happy for the rest of our lives.

Bacter I love you man but this can't be healthy

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

None of it! At Skypizza's declared release rate, that's no more than 1-2 videos a week. The FINAL challenge might cause a complete mental breakdown, but hey, who hasn't had a couple!

Skypizza
Dec 19, 2015

Geek

Bacter posted:

For a CLOWN

Anyway, for each set of levels there's a sub-boss and a final boss. I'll do two videos per level set, and release them about when Skypizza gets to the appropriate level (I might lag or lead by one level, be warned). The first takes me to the sub-boss, the second beats the level set.

So that's what a no-death-cause-you-are-actually-playing-the-angel-of-death run looks like huh? Pretty immersive. And yeah Keep putting these out they are great, gives me a thing or two to learn like using a Headhunter instead of a 9mm.

I will be posting a new video in a couple days, and will upload the tapes we found today as a side content.

Nekomimi-Maiden
Feb 27, 2011

I'm here to help you.
Rule number one, don't get me killed.
Glad for this, was curious but Bacter's speedrun left no room for reading the plot. Prose, by the way, is communication like this, without meter or rhyme. Grim was literally complaining that the flames always talked all fancy in poetry.

Looking forward to more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacter
Jan 27, 2012

Still current on this LP?

• Locked thread