Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Staff Picks returns after I've been busy between travelling and using all of my spare time to play Persona 5. Also I'm moving this feature to Thursdays because for every single other movie I just watched it on the weekend anyway. This week's pick is:

Parallax View (1974)

Directed by: Alan J. Pakula
Written by: David Giler and Lorenzo Semple Jr.
Edited by: John W. Wheeler
Cinematography by: Gordon Willis
Starring: Warren Beatty
Based on a novel by Loren Singer

Summary: "An ambitious reporter gets in way-over-his-head trouble while investigating a senator's assassination which leads to a vast conspiracy involving a multinational corporation behind every event in the world's headlines."

There was a raft of conspiracy films produced by American filmmakers in the years following the Watergate scandal and the complete destruction of the American public's faith in the political order. There are a lot of cool movies produced in this period about surveillance, the incapability of structured order, sociopolitical control etc. In 1975 Foucalt wrote an entire book dedicated to systems of discipline and control. There is a lot of anxiousness that comes with the awareness of The System, and there are some killer movies made about these ideas (stuff like The Conversation, and All the President's Men, etc.)

I haven't seen this movie but I've seen the first five minutes and read about it in relation to surveillance studies so it seems like it would be a good watch. I knew I wanted to watch the entire film when I saw this shot:

http://pmd.cdn.turner.com/tcm/big/tcmweb/FILMCLIPS/2010/08/parallaxview_creditscommission_FC_235a_24f_mobile-baseline.mp4

It's available on YouTube, iTunes, Amazon, Vudu, Google play etc. Basically everywhere with digital rentals for a few bucks.

---

From the Staff Picks Archives
January 31st, 2017: Cure
February 7th, 2017: Westfront 1918
February 14th, 2017: John Wick
February 21st, 2017: Red Sorghum
February 28th, 2017: God of Gamblers
March 7th, 2017: The Autopsy of Jane Doe
March 14th, 2017: Perfect Blue
March 21st, 2017: Spring Breakers
March 28th, 2017: Cemetery of Splendor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Pakula/Willis in the 70s is required viewing.

This is the greatest movie ever shot in the Pacific Northwest.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Watching this now. I love the hues of color that whatever exposure/development processes produced this weird muted palettes in American 70s blockbusters. Same way with the early 60s technicolor bonanzas. I bet there's writing out there about the specifics of those different developments, would be cool to read about.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also the classic acting style of these American movies where people are kind half rambling and stumbling over their words and repeating phrases all the time. Watching this like 2 days after the conversation so I've got 70s thrillers on the mind

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I was expecting a much more restrained narrative but halfway through this warren Beatty fakes his own death and enrolls in a secret society of highly trained international assassins that recruit members by mail. This movie is awesome

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

In Training posted:

I was expecting a much more restrained narrative but halfway through this warren Beatty fakes his own death and enrolls in a secret society of highly trained international assassins that recruit members by mail. This movie is awesome

Woah

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Screenies: http://imgur.com/a/pQ5VQ

I loved the design of this huge weirdly empty warehouse where the last 15 minutes took place

https://my.mixtape.moe/eoictg.webm

And the shot of him walking up the aisle of the airplane with the camera swinging back and forth, gif is in the album.

Tommy_Udo
Apr 16, 2017

Big fan of this movie! Love the ending. I'm surprised Criterion has never scooped this up yet.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

New thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3818615

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I've been on a New Hollywood kick and watched this flick about a month ago and it loving owns. Klute (1971) is worth watching--it lacks the political subtext of The Parallax View but it put Pakula on the map and has a strong undercurrent of erotic tension in the score and the cinematography. Donald Sutherland and Jane Fonda are fantastic as the leads.

• Locked thread