Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You could always solve that by buying a mining claim and living off the land for a season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Natty Ninefingers posted:

What kind of wind is it rated for

No clue, not too worried. Its got big side walls but is rounded enough it ought to be fine. So long as its staked properly I wont worry, hopefully I'm out in at least one big storm this year and get to really test it out.

The Fool posted:

I love the idea of big canvas tents but don't ever feel like I'm at any given site long enough for the setup/teardown to be worthwhile

https://www.amazon.com/HORUSDY-Stakes-Camping-4x13ft-Stopper/dp/B0BVQZK1SP

Those have solved that issue for me. Its SO much easier to get a tent up quickly with those and a drill. I only bring my canvas tents for basecamping anyway so its not like the weight is killer. Seriously cant recommend those enough.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

BaseballPCHiker posted:

https://www.amazon.com/HORUSDY-Stakes-Camping-4x13ft-Stopper/dp/B0BVQZK1SP

Those have solved that issue for me. Its SO much easier to get a tent up quickly with those and a drill. I only bring my canvas tents for basecamping anyway so its not like the weight is killer. Seriously cant recommend those enough.

ok, those are cool

xzzy posted:

You could always solve that by buying a mining claim and living off the land for a season.

literally my childhood

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
I was so coveting a Viking style canvas tent, until I watched a video of one guy setting it up. I think it was an hour? And he knew what he was about.

I would love to be able to rent one, but owning is perhaps not practical.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Arkhamina posted:

I was so coveting a Viking style canvas tent, until I watched a video of one guy setting it up. I think it was an hour? And he knew what he was about.

I would love to be able to rent one, but owning is perhaps not practical.

This is my winter canvas tent - https://elliscanvastents.com/products/shackleton-tent

In winter with those drill in stakes I can have this up in under 20 minutes easy. Still takes me some time to pack down the snow inside, get the stove up, etc, but not all that long usually. Under an hour altogether I would say.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Neat. Winter you can sledge stuff in. I took a winter camping course a few years ago and loved it. Downside, I am effectively on call for all winter now. I generally don't mind it (mad overtime with 17 hour shifts!). I loved the concept of a hot tent. I am so paranoid about carbon monoxide though...

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

The majority of my winter camping is done backpacking on snowshoes so I cold camp. Still nice to have a big winter basecamping tent though for ski trips and longer outings where can dayhike out of camp. Just have to wait for my kids to get older now so I dont worry about them bumping into a hot stove.

With the canvas tents its impossible to get co2 poisoning, there is enough air transfer that I dont even know how you'd do it. Definitely a concern with some of the synthetic DIY conversions though. Having a good tent stove and getting it setup right and operating it correctly go a long way in cutting down on the smoke in the tent too.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

I found that, but on the campsites themselves, they list three tent sizes. I've been checking different campsite descriptions. Sometimes, large tent says "over 9x12". Nothing specific next to "tent" and "small tent" though.

I guess since the one I booked says "tent", then I'm good up to 9x12.

Probably maxes out at 8' wide.

Edit - my Therm-a-rest compressible pillow didn't decompress. It's only 3 years old. I've got a couple of REI ones and one from Klymit that are basically the same thing and they worked perfectly.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Apr 15, 2024

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Fillo pillow reigns supreme

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wife has been hiking with a new group and has some GAS for an ultralight daypack. In particular she loves the design of the gossamer gear stuff. Anyone got long term opinions on them? There's definitely lots of glowing reviews out there but.. it's the internet.

Any other brands in that category to compare against? LiteAF and redpawpacks are kind of interesting to me but I don't really know what puts one company over another in this field other than design features.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I have a gossamer gear “silverback” 50L (or 55, can’t remember). I like it a lot, as it’s very modular (removable brain, removable straps, etc), so I can customize it the trip/hike I’m going on. As well, I bought the silverback specifically because it doesn’t have any soft-netting, as I go on trips through terrain/foliage where rips/tears are common. It’s held up very well over the last 5 or so years.

Nevertheless, I’d probably just get a ULA Circuit if I was gonna buy a new pack to fill the same niche.

E. Just reread your post and saw you were talking about daypacks, not full-on backpacks. Still, I’d vouch GG stuff generally

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

in terms of daypacks, the durston wapta might be interesting: https://durstongear.com/products/wapta-30-ultralight-backpack

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

What's the idea behind an ultralight daypack? Backpacking makes sense because you pair it with other UL gear, and the effect is kind of magnified because you're shaving weight off of multiple items (tent, sleeping bag, etc.). I've never felt like my daypack was particularly heavy to begin with.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fitzy Fitz posted:

What's the idea behind an ultralight daypack? Backpacking makes sense because you pair it with other UL gear, and the effect is kind of magnified because you're shaving weight off of multiple items (tent, sleeping bag, etc.). I've never felt like my daypack was particularly heavy to begin with.
Also don't UL packs that are fully frameless typically rely on you putting something like a foam pad, which you wouldn't have on a day hike, toward the back to give it shape?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Btw I fully understand if it's just that people think it's cool. That is half of why I choose gear sometimes.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

My partner and I are going to be going on a 4 day, 3 night bikepacking trip in mid May, 14-18th, and I'm trying to get some opinions, advice, general thoughts, on our sleeping gear.

I have a real old sleeping bag that doesn't pack down too well, probably 16L, which is.. a bit bulky. I think my partner's sleeping bag packs down a bit better, maybe 13-14L. Both are rated down to pretty low temps. I sleep fairly warm, partner is the opposite. I'm thinking about switching to possibly a sleeping quilt, but have never even seen one in person. Does anybody have opinions on if they're fine to use, just a quilt and sleeping pad? Even two sleeping quilts (I arbitrarily looked at a cheap-ish one at REI, the ALPS Mountaineering Equinox Quilt) would be smaller than a single sleeping bag.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I don't think UL was the reason she latched on to it, she just liked the design and it kind of opened the door to comparing against the competition. And she's been unhappy with her current day pack, one of the REI ones where zippers go all the way down the sides. And sometimes you just want new gear.

That said we do carry a fair amount of gear even on day hikes because afternoon weather in the mountains can be unpredictable and we always carry emergency gear to survive a night if necessary. So if one is in the market for a new bag, may as well go light if it makes the hike more enjoyable.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Johnny Truant posted:

Does anybody have opinions on if they're fine to use, just a quilt and sleeping pad?

Yes, this is what I do. I prefer it to a bag because I don't get tangled as easily. I toss and turn a lot and a traditional bag gets real annoying.

But it assumes you're comfortable with skin on the sleeping pad. It can be noisy and feel kinda weird sleeping on plastic. Not an issue if you wear pants and a long sleeve shirt.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

get twin sized fitted sheets

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I swapped to a quilt this year because I won a zenbivy ultralight in a raffle and I gotta say it is the bees knees. Comfy cozy af

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

sleeping bags are annoying

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

The Fool posted:

get twin sized fitted sheets

Exped makes fitted sheets specifically for some of their double wide stuff, maybe other pad manufacturers do too?

It is nice to have so your skin isn't directly on the pad material, but maybe more of a car-camping thing vs proper backpacking. And some pads now have a less "sticky" layer on the top.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm in need of a new backpacking bag after probably 15 years with a REI 55L pack, and an ultralight pack is tempting but I'm a bit confused on the volumes I see people recommend. Most of my trips are 3 days, but I like to do one 5-6 day trip a season I felt like my old 55L pack was generally just barely big enough and often slightly too small for the longer stuff, but a lot of the packs I'm seeing recommended are in the 40L-ish main body volume range and that seems way too small, even with the big external pockets for light and bulky stuff? Is it a different approach to packing where bulky stuff like the bear can and/or tent body goes on the outside of the pack, or is all the UL gear packing down a lot smaller and its a full commitment to UL gear all the way through? I don't think I bring a lot of stuff and have a good sleeping bag and down jacket that both pack down well, but do have an older, bulky tent that I'm considering replacing. With most of the brands I'm looking at being smaller and not having free returns (very understandably) I'm hesitant to sight unseen buy a smaller pack and hope all my poo poo fits when it's time to go on my next trip.

For context, I'm considering the following packs:
- ULA Catalyst/Circuit
- Atom Mo 50/60
- Bonfus Framus 58
- Gregory Focal 58

If theres other brands or models I should consider, I'm very open to suggestions. I'm not too concerned with absolute minimum weight or a smaller brand, mostly just looking for a simple and durable pack that can carry 30-40lbs for 3-5(+) day trips.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

The general UL pack guidelines are kinda like: UL the rest of your kit, then figure out what pack volume makes sense for you. Also, a smaller than you think you need pack may help you weed out the stuff you don’t actually need.

If you’ve got an older bulkier tent there will be enormous volume savings there, our x-mid 2p is like a third the size of our old marmot tent.

Do you typically travel in bear canister required lands? If so the Nunatak bears ears lineup might be interesting. Downsides are expensive and long lead time. I got one about a week ago and it was a solid 8? Weeks from ordered to arrived.

General pack rec for 30-40 pounds and kinda an on ramp to UL the durston kakwa 55 will give good volume, good weight, good price, and excellent performance at higher base weights.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I promise I have no affiliation with durston gear lol I just think he’s making a really top notch product at approachable price points especially for people that are transitioning from “bought everything at rei” to lighter weight options

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
And here I am, with my Frost River waxed canvas, brass and leather packs ...

The biggest I have (realistically something I would use portaging hiking only) weighs 7lbs. Empty.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Thanks for the input, that Durston pack looks nice, I'll add it to the list I'm considering. Also the tent you mentioned, seems very affordable and while I wasn't really considering a tent that needed trekking poles to pitch, its a lot cheaper and lighter than some poled tents I was looking at. A friend brough a UL tent on a trip last summer and I was blown away that it was like waterbottle size packed vs my old Mountain Hardware Hubba Hubba, so I'm thinking with a new tent a UL type backpack would be nice, and even if I'm not trying to get down to a crazy base weight it'll shave a couple pounds.

I'm struggling to find anything between the 5lb Osprey big boys and the 2lb UL packs, I think ideally I'd find something in the ~3lb range that can carry 45lbs and is generally a stripped back pack in terms of design and complexity. Most of my long weekend trips I've got like 30lbs or less on my back but I can't justify a second pack for the 5-6 day trips or ones where I'm carrying in additional weight for climbing or fishing kit.

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I'm in need of a new backpacking bag after probably 15 years with a REI 55L pack, and an ultralight pack is tempting but I'm a bit confused on the volumes I see people recommend. Most of my trips are 3 days, but I like to do one 5-6 day trip a season I felt like my old 55L pack was generally just barely big enough and often slightly too small for the longer stuff, but a lot of the packs I'm seeing recommended are in the 40L-ish main body volume range and that seems way too small, even with the big external pockets for light and bulky stuff? Is it a different approach to packing where bulky stuff like the bear can and/or tent body goes on the outside of the pack, or is all the UL gear packing down a lot smaller and its a full commitment to UL gear all the way through? I don't think I bring a lot of stuff and have a good sleeping bag and down jacket that both pack down well, but do have an older, bulky tent that I'm considering replacing. With most of the brands I'm looking at being smaller and not having free returns (very understandably) I'm hesitant to sight unseen buy a smaller pack and hope all my poo poo fits when it's time to go on my next trip.

For context, I'm considering the following packs:
- ULA Catalyst/Circuit
- Atom Mo 50/60
- Bonfus Framus 58
- Gregory Focal 58

If theres other brands or models I should consider, I'm very open to suggestions. I'm not too concerned with absolute minimum weight or a smaller brand, mostly just looking for a simple and durable pack that can carry 30-40lbs for 3-5(+) day trips.

I bought a ULA Circuit and have really been enjoying it. Of the big 3, I bought a pack first, and was renting a tent and sleeping bag as needed, at least until I was sure I enjoyed actual overnight trips, instead of just enjoying the idea of them. The rental stuff around here was somewhat heavy, and really bulky. Room in the pack was an issue. But since I bought my own tent (Zpacks triplex) and sleeping bag (Nemo Disco 30), I can easily get everything in it. The additional food for additional days is pretty much the only change I have based on the number of days. Lately I have been putting my accordion pad strapped to the bottom, tent strapped to the top, food bad, sleeping bag, cookset, 3l bladder and extra clothing in the main body. The back stretchy pocket gets smaller stuff like aid kit, cleanup and hygiene kit, filter, and misc repair items. The side pockets keep a couple of water bottles on one side, and 2 camp chairs in the other. (Don't judge me) Mrs rear end Trophy has a small Osprey of some sort, so I end up carrying all of the communal gear. Even so, I can keep the weight down to around 18 pounds before the addition of water and food. And often times I'll end up with 6l as we live in SoCal and there are a lot of dry camp days. A full load of water and food will put me near the max weight limit of 35 pounds for the bag. Durability seems good, the fabric shows no signs of wear at all. And my broken leg has healed and I am looking forward to getting out there again.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I've got some Frost River gear too. Love their stuff just not for backpacking.

The ULA stuff is highly regarded and I think the best you can do at UL weight without diving into the world of cottage gear makers like Superior Wilderness Designs, Pilgrim, Atom, etc.

Also I bought a giant Springbar Canvas Tent to replace my old REI kingdom 4. The thing is massive and a lot of fun.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I got a recreational barrel works expedition canoe pack which seems like a spiritual successor to the old school canvas packs with more modern (cheaper!) materials
https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/rbw-expedition-canoe-pack.html

Took it out a few times last year and utilized its 125L capacity to carry everything for the family. Leaving my partner able to mind the kid full time on portages allowed us to complete much more ambitious trips, and the only person I had to worry about killing was me.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Did you use coconuts to imitate the sound of horse hooves, too?

Brother Tadger fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 19, 2024

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I've never actually worn an external frame backpack, but I'd really like to try one out.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've never actually worn an external frame backpack, but I'd really like to try one out.

same, that was what the badass older kids used when i was in scouts and it had this aura of authenticity and authority compared to the dweeby target poo poo the noobs had

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's all I had available when I was a teenager, yeah they look badass but it turns out aluminum tubing and canvas is not very light.

But I don't remember it being hard work, I guess that's the upside of being 17.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I brought a buddy on his first backpacking trip a few years ago and offered to let him use all my extra modern gear.

"I'm good man, my cousin is letting me borrow all his stuff."

"Ok."

He showed up with this old rear end kelty external frame pack looking like a stagecoach with all sorts of poo poo strapped to it, and a bottle of red wine. Lol.

I tried to convince him to use my spare gear as it's much lighter. "I mean what are we talking, a few pounds? I've been hitting the gym hard, I'll be good".

"Ok".

The first mile and a half is flat, winding through the woods and crosses a river. He was laughing at how pleasant it was. Then we crossed the creek. From there it gains 2k ft of nonstop switchbacks for two miles. He was miserable. We took a few breaks and the sun started going down. This was his first time in the mountains/West. We were hiking in the dark for a few hours. It took a lot longer than we expected.

We finally rolled into the first campsite around 10pm. We dropped our packs and looked at the site. He grabbed my pack out of curiosity ... "Holy poo poo, how much does yours weigh?"

"I think 30lbs fully loaded" I replied.

"32 I think for mine" my other friend responded.

"What the gently caress? Mine was 60 at the airport!"

None of his poo poo looked comfortable. The pack seemed awful and his sleeping bag was old and heavy while not being super warm. The tent leaked and the pad was just a thin rolled up foam pad.

"Well, we can kill this bottle of wine tonight and lighten the load". That might save a few ounces.

He was not enthused. We swapped packs for a few miles the next day. I had to give it back. It was awful.

That's my one and only experience with external packs.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I don't have an external frame anymore but they're fine. Plenty of tie off points, can load them heavy if you're quartering out game (which is where I used mine), and can be found cheap. It's just they're 6-7 pounds instead of 2-3.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I honestly really quite liked my old Kelty Trekker external frame, it actually weighed less than my Osprey Volt 70 iirc, and felt really light overall. It carried great and was really quite comfy, and I loved all the side pouches and pockets.

However when I switched to hammocks, it didn't have the internal compartment volume to hold everything since I was no longer strapping a tent and sleeping pad to it. Plus I like not having so much bulk on my back to snag on branches.

Zpacks Arc Haul has just been my favorite and most durable pack, and it looks like they've even updated the fabric to a UHMWPE blend which they say has even better abrasion resistance than their old grid laminated dyneema. That stuff has already been way more durable for me than the original cuben fiber stuff, it's night and day.

I honestly expect all the ultralight cottage manufacturer packs are six to one, half dozen to the other at this point, it's just crazy being able to shave 3-5 pounds with a simple pack swap from older ripstop nylon gear. I don't know why ripstop nylon packs are still so popular, especially when the price points are so close to dyneema, and I feel like the abrasion weaknesses have mostly been resolved with these newer fabrics.

Still love my Osprey Talon for a daypack though!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
I too love and still use my 90s era Kelty Trekker. Does a phenomenal job transferring weight comfortably onto my hips, and I enjoy being able to tie endless things to the frame.

If I was considering a long thru hike where I'm only carrying my stuff, I'd certainly look into something more modern and lighter, but it's honestly pretty ideal for my current use case: short trips where I'm toting gear for multiple people (children and spouses with bad joints).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Ass Trophy
Jul 24, 2007
I can do twice the work in half the time

Verman posted:

"What the gently caress? Mine was 60 at the airport!"

Way back in the mid 50's when my mother was a girl scout, her troop did a 4 day hike on the AT, the purpose of which was to update the AT guidebook. Each of them had their own canvas pack, some sort of cotton fabric sleeping bag that was stuffed with a mixture of felt and sawdust, personal clothing, food, and a shared portion of a 2 girl canvas tent. Clothing was typically wool, and some cotton. Nothing synthetic. They were carrying around 45 pounds each, and that was really as light as they could go. Things were just heavy. There were covering 35 miles over the 4 days, and were too meet up with another troop to pass on the log book. Their hike was relatively uneventful despite the weight. They took frequent breaks and the kids had trained with loaded packs in the preceding weeks.

The troop they met up with was another story. They were carrying their gear in suitcases, laundry bags, shopping bags, etc. Full sized bedroom pillows, blankets, teddy bears, nightgowns, slippers, and even a record player of some sort. To this day, my mother wonders if this group ever made it to the next log book handoff.

A few years ago, a historian interview my mother about the hike she made with her troop. I'll try and find the article. I know she sent me a hardcopy but I misplaced it. She is sure to have the original somewhere.

This could have been one of the groups that hiked in earlier segments. Mother rear end Trophy did a segment in the Deleware Watergap.

https://www.newspapers.com/image/21...vaIpClXVEuAH1fU

Cat Ass Trophy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 21, 2024