Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
After years (since inception) of a five star rating system, Netflix pulls a Youtube and now switches to thumbs up / thumbs down.

That's cool I guess, but...

Netflix user ratings were more or less pretty reliable under the five star system.

There are thousands of devices (like TV's and Blu-ray players that are a few years old or more) that have a pre built or custom built Netflix app on them that no longer gets updated, so the new system has to work with all the existing apps which still use the five star system.

This has had the interesting effect on such apps of making really lovely movies that have long held a one star rating on Netflix (like American Poltergeist for example) to suddenly have a perfect five star rating.

I'm guessing that perhaps they translated the existing ratings as one star = thumbs down, two or more stars = thumbs up.

:master:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
Even where it works, people don't like it.

http://bgr.com/2017/04/10/netflix-ratings-system-change-thumbs-up/

Bluh!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Maldoror posted:

After years (since inception) of a five star rating system, Netflix pulls a Youtube and now switches to thumbs up / thumbs down.

That's cool I guess, but...

Netflix user ratings were more or less pretty reliable under the five star system.

There are thousands of devices (like TV's and Blu-ray players that are a few years old or more) that have a pre built or custom built Netflix app on them that no longer gets updated, so the new system has to work with all the existing apps which still use the five star system.

This has had the interesting effect on such apps of making really lovely movies that have long held a one star rating on Netflix (like American Poltergeist for example) to suddenly have a perfect five star rating.

I'm guessing that perhaps they translated the existing ratings as one star = thumbs down, two or more stars = thumbs up.

:master:

The star rating is not what others gave it, it's what it thinks you will give it based on your ratings of other movies.

This is why they removed the stars, because no one knew what they were actually for.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

GonSmithe posted:

The star rating is not what others gave it, it's what it thinks you will give it based on your ratings of other movies.

This is why they removed the stars, because no one knew what they were actually for.

:aaaaa:

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

GonSmithe posted:

yeah it makes way more sense now. "thumbs up" from this netflix fan

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Lol I never rated anything on Netflix so I guess that's what made the ratings all over the place and completely worthless.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol who the gently caress came up with that idea

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
Ok, follow me here. You rate "Gamera vs What the fuckever," as 5 stars, the movie Se7en as 4 stars and Il Postino as 1 star. Iterate a few times. Well, now there's some weird fuckin' foreign indie LGBT movie that just popped up that's a suggested 5 star movie for you, but you're like "this is some poo poo I'd never watch!" You watch it anyway and give it a 4. The system works because there's at least two other weirdos with your movie preferences out there and you've been slipping each other surprising movie suggestions that you love for months now. people get butthurt about this because it's fiddling with numbers or something.

Enjoy your thumbs. It's roughly the same thing but with less wiggle room on edge cases. The problem is that Netflix, to my memory, never explained up front that the stars were not based on actual reviews or some poo poo.

E: This is why it's also useful to rate movies you have seen before when they cross your path on Netflix. How much did you like Independence Day or Brotherhood of the Wolf even though you saw it in theaters 15 years ago or whatever?

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 21, 2017

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah I usually found the old star ratings pretty on point since I went through and rated a bunch of poo poo I had seen before. Not thrilled about the change, it seems way worse so far.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
I definitely didn't mean to say I didn't like the stars. They were definitely very on point for me most of the time because I rated a lot of things when I first got Netflix, and I think there needs to be a middle ground to the "thumbs up."

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

congrats to netflix for finding out what youtube found out and implemented years ago

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I never rate things

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

I can't stand the new rating system. The star system was incredibly accurate for me (I'd rated hundreds of titles, easy), and led me to discoveries that I never would have bothered with otherwise. Based on the descriptions, I'd never have given the Lobster a second look, and It Follows? Not a chance.

Now my ratings are all skewed. Movies I love and previously rated five stars are given matches in the 60's and 70's, while others that I know I don't like (and have rated previously with one or two stars) are in the 90's. Netflix Original Adam Sandler's Sandy Wexler is somehow rated a 95...

Yeah, not a fan.

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost

Falstaff posted:

I can't stand the new rating system. The star system was incredibly accurate for me (I'd rated hundreds of titles, easy), and led me to discoveries that I never would have bothered with otherwise. Based on the descriptions, I'd never have given the Lobster a second look, and It Follows? Not a chance.

Now my ratings are all skewed. Movies I love and previously rated five stars are given matches in the 60's and 70's, while others that I know I don't like (and have rated previously with one or two stars) are in the 90's. Netflix Original Adam Sandler's Sandy Wexler is somehow rated a 95...

Yeah, not a fan.

Yes, I actually get that on the website itself even, so I know it's not just my TV's old version of Netflix. Movies that were one star ever since I started watching Netflix now all of a sudden are five stars (or "98% correlation" on the website), and it's for movies like Sharknado or whatever.

Maybe I should actually give these movies a chance, maybe I really will think they're 5 stars / thumbs up! :discourse:

I did just watch Bottom of the World which is a recent addition; it showed as 5 stars and I really did think it was 4/5 stars. :p

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I imagine all the Netflix Original stuff is legally unable to drop below 90% approval

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

In Training posted:

I imagine all the Netflix Original stuff is legally unable to drop below 90% approval

They hide the percentage if it's below something, 50% maybe?

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

Falstaff posted:

Yeah, not a fan.

i dont think it uses your old ratings so you have upthumb some good poo poo and downthumb some bad poo poo for it to work.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
It's really bad to actually find stuff on Netflix that isn't some POS "original"

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

It's really bad to actually find stuff on Netflix that isn't some POS "original"

Those are usually funny-bad if you choose semi-wisely.

YMMV

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think it's weird how there's a bunch of like, BBC shows that are 'netflix originals' even though they didn't do anything but distribute it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

There's a few anime with that branding too

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Trailer Park Boys too, even though it was and still is a regular rear end TV show

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

don't forget about that Archer ripoff "Pacific Heat," even though it's very easy to forget

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Larry Parrish posted:

I think it's weird how there's a bunch of like, BBC shows that are 'netflix originals' even though they didn't do anything but distribute it.

anything that they have exclusive rights to in your region get it

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

don't forget about that Archer ripoff "Pacific Heat," even though it's very easy to forget

Ugh. That poo poo was rough. Made it through two episodes purely to give it a chance and I want my time back.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I'm okay with stand up but filling all my comedy recomendations with Netrlix Original standup specials is not cool.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
It turns out Netflix shits itself if you rate 200 movies in a row now. It stays unusable for 24 hours before self-correcting.

I wouldn't have to rate a bunch of old stuff if you kept the stars visible. How am I supposed to remember what I've seen? Using my memory, like a pleb?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

There's a few anime with that branding too

It pains me that the Netflix translated animes have English subtitles that are a translation of the Japanese script and not subtitles for the dub

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The plural of anime is anime, Larry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

In Training posted:

The plural of anime is anime, Larry.

:anime:

• Locked thread