Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Okey dokey!

Your claim is that the "personality cults" of the Founders is comparable to that of e.g. the Kims. So I challenge you to go digging through all the David Barton-esque dreck that you like, and see if you can find something comparable to the following, chosen from a randomly selected page in the DPRK's official biography of its Dear Leader:

The whole book is like this.

There's a very Trumpian quality to a lot of North Korean propaganda, they way they can talk about the 'Juche idea' for paragraphs without even once implying what it is

"I've got the best Juche thought, just the greatest. It's really good, really strong Juche and it's gonna make the Party win, win, win, big league. Everything I'm doing is Juche and it's really strong, just tremendous folks."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Even in the context of high school-level, rah-rah "U-S-A U-S-A"-type history, the Founders are substantially criticized for moral and political failings. Slavery was an abomination, the Articles of Confederation were useless, the Alien and Sedition Acts were tyranny, etc. So another way for Homework Explainer to justify his idiotic false equivalency is show any evidence at all that there exists such criticism of the Great Leader and the Dear Leader inside of North Korea. I won't hold my breath.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Fallen Hamprince posted:

Stalin's successor literally gave a famous, landmark speech denouncing Stalin's 'Cult of Personality'

So what you're saying is that Krushchev was literally a better leader than the vast majority of american presidents, good to know.

quote:

Even in the context of high school-level, rah-rah "U-S-A U-S-A"-type history, the Founders are substantially criticized for moral and political failings. Slavery was an abomination, the Articles of Confederation were useless, the Alien and Sedition Acts were tyranny, etc. So another way for Homework Explainer to justify his idiotic false equivalency is show any evidence at all that there exists such criticism of the Great Leader and the Dear Leader inside of North Korea. I won't hold my breath.

Actual public criticism is more likely to get you labeled as a shrieking commie than be taken seriously considering even liberals have been hard at work trying to do the apotheosis of a New Yorker slave trader.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Agnosticnixie posted:

Actual public criticism is more likely to get you labeled as a shrieking commie than be taken seriously considering even liberals have been hard at work trying to do the apotheosis of a New Yorker slave trader.

It's unfortunate that you won't be thrown in a labour camp for this post

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Agnosticnixie posted:

Aren't you demonstrating my point for me? You can criticize the "cult" all you like, as you're doing now, and nobody cares, because it isn't actually a personality cult. Yep, Hamilton was interesting but flawed and shouldn't be treated with reverence. Now, how do you think you'd fare in North Korea criticizing the Kims?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Fallen Hamprince posted:

It's unfortunate that you won't be thrown in a labour camp for this post

Don't throw rocks from glass houses.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Tacky-rear end Rococco posted:

Aren't you demonstrating my point for me? You can criticize the "cult" all you like, as you're doing now, and nobody cares, because it isn't actually a personality cult. Yep, Hamilton was interesting but flawed and shouldn't be treated with reverence. Now, how do you think you'd fare in North Korea criticizing the Kims?

youd be fine

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

R. Guyovich posted:

youd be fine

hahahahahaha good one!

Hwang Jang-yop posted:

Kim Jong Il is not concerned about general crimes such as theft and robbery, but takes swift and cruel action against even the slightest criticism of Kim Il Sung or Kim Jong Il. When such cases are reported by the Organization Guidance Bureau, Ministry of National Security or the Security Command Headquarters of the People's Army, together with plans to execute the critic and send his family to concentration camps, Kim Jong Il' signature endorsing such plans becomes the law, and the plans are executed immediately. Needless to say, no legal procedures are observed in the process.
Kim Il Sung was also ruthless when it came to dealing with his political enemies. He accused all those who opposed him of 'anti-party, anti-revolutionary sectarianism' or of being 'spies for American imperialists,' and purged them from the party.
The concentration camp for political prisoners, called the 'control zone,' was originally built to house the families of Kim Il Sung' s political enemies in order to wipe out their family lines. Control zones are located deep in the mountains and surrounded by several layers of barbed wire. They are divided into the main area and the reserve area, and those sent into the main area spend the rest of their lives in there treated worse than animals.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Agnosticnixie posted:

Your disappointed father yelling at you to shut up about reagan isnt the same thing as getting executed my dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

North Korea's cultural output is pretty weird:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5VqyCQV1Tg&t=139s

• Locked thread