Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Just get back from a great trip and want to tell others about it? Looking for recommendations of great places to go in your state or surrounding area? Post your favorite multi-day trips here! Bonus points if you were able to snag a picture! OP will be updated with a state by state location list of favorite destinations. If you’re looking to find out more info, All Trails is a great resource to find hikes and mileages within your comfort zone.

Verman put together a great writeup on how to find new places to visit, please find it pasted below.

:siren: Backpacking::siren:

Arizona:
  • Grand Canyon National Park

Colorado:

Kentucky:

• Red River Gorge - Natural arches like what you'd see in Utah, tons of trails, great views from the canyon

Ohio:

• Archers Fork
  • Zaleski State Park
  • Wildcat Hollow
  • Mohican State Park

Pennsylvania:
  • Bear Run Nature Preserve - Adjacent to Ohiopyle & FLW’s Falling Water

Tennessee:
  • Cumberland Gap National Historical Park-Honestly surprised me with what a great location it was. Backpacked White Rocks area- spectacular views, sand cave was awesome

Utah:

Virginia:
  • Grayson Highlands - Easily accessible trails and spectacular views, wild ponies, & Mt. Roger is the highest point in Virginia

• Three Ridges Wilderness
    Considered one of the more difficult sections of the AT, but has spectacular views

West Virginia:

• Dolly Sods in Monangahela National Forest - Dolly Sods stands out to me because every couple of hundred feet is a completely different biome, from deciduous forest, bald mountains like you'd see out west, pine forest, swamp, just a really cool place. Basically it was clear cut way back when, but the weather is so extreme the trees never fully grew back and the ones that did are pretty stunted. Also used to be an artillery testing range, so watch out for unexploded ordinance and don't go too far off trail.

:siren:Car Camping:siren:

Ohio:
  • Kelleys Island State Park

:siren: Kayak Camping :siren:

Florida:
  • Suwannee River

Minnesota:
  • Boundary Waters

Michigan:
  • Pictured Rocks National Lakeshore

North Carolina:
  • Roanoke RiverTrail

:

Updated July 2020

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 23, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Verman posted:

Honestly out here in Washington, I usually go up to the mountains probably weekly. Sometimes my buddies and I just go to explore forest roads in a given area to get a feel for it and find cool places for the future.

You can usually see pull off spots where people have called before. Sometimes there isn't a pull in so you have to park in the side of the road. I get a little weary if I see too many shell casings meaning it's a place that gets frequent traffic especially by shooters, or something that's significantly improved because maybe it's private property but those are almost always signed or gated.

My ideal car camping is all about solitude. I want to be with my friends and that's it. No RV or generator noise. No rowdy college kids unless we brought them. If it means driving an extra hour, I'll do it. I will enjoy my trip significantly more.

Having a vehicle with high clearance and/or four wheel drive will open more things up to you and prevent 50% of everybody else from getting there.

When I look for new camping sites I have a few things I consider.

- proximity to town, the closer to town, the more likely it's a popular spot that might be taken when you want to use it. If it's easy to find and close to town, it probably gets used a lot

- proximity to trailheads and recreation areas like national parks etc, national parks are backcountry cities that attract large populations. Those people spread out and the surrounding areas get crowded. Lesser touristy places like state forests, national forests, wilderness areas, blm land are usually less densely populated than national parks and fun to explore. If you're near a popular trailhead, people might camp nearby before, during or after their trip.

- proximity to water, everybody wants a picturesque lake/riverside camp site that they can drive right up to. There's not a lot of those available. Water is fun so people tend to flock to it. Hiking even just a few hundred feet into a site can get you a lot of solitude that people don't want to work for. Humans are incredibly lazy and want to back up their vehicle right to the camp fire if at all possible.

- ease of getting there, the more difficult it is to get there (rough roads, likelihood of obstacles, long distance on dirt roads, complexity of directions) the less likely someone will be out there. If I have to put my 4 runner in 4wd, hop a downed tree, remove a fallen tree, or straddle a deep washout ... Those are all good signs for me. I keep an axe, recovery gear, shovel, tire chains etc in my vehicle at all times. This can easily cross into overlanding

- getting off the beaten trail, even in the woods, a certain forest road might be the Backcountry equivalent of the highway because it's the only road that loops back to the highway or to another point of interest. Look for some pull offs to see where they go. You can usually find good camping at dead ends in logging roads. Gps and a map are always a good idea. Forest roads can be a labyrinth and it's easy to get lost.

-views/scenery, if some place is attractive to you because of the scenery/surroundings, it's probably attracting others too. Rather than trying to camp near a popular overlook or natural feature, maybe look further out.

- if you've found a good spot, take a look around before setting up camp. Shotgun shells, broken glass or bullet casings? Trash? Dirtbike/quad/orv tracks running right through where you're thinking? Is there an existing fire pit? Hanging deadfall overhead from trees? A flat spot that looks ideal for a tent?

Always pay attention to the area you're in and carry the appropriate passes. In Washington, a discover pass ($30) covers state land and the America the beautiful ($80) covers federal land & national parks. I've never been anywhere that either of those passes don't cover. $130/year seems pricey but considering how much it gets used and how much it costs to get into a national park, they pay for themselves.

Most of the best dispersed car camping I've done hasn't been by recommendation of a book or website, but from exploring first hand. If I come across an interesting spot, I mark it on a Google map for future use. I describe the spot and save it. "Big site, multiple cars, existing fire pit, good views, very rough road, no water"

Also this is huge. Check gates for signage before driving through them. If you drive through a gate, it can get closed and locked behind you and there may not be a way out. They might have a sign on them, and if the gate is open the sign might be in the trees. Even if there's a number to call, chances are you won't have cell reception. Your only option of not spending the night in your car is driving for an unknown amount of time in the opposite direction hoping it leads out somewhere which it may not. Ask me how I know.

Once you've found a spot, enjoy it. Be respectful of the area and for the love of God clean up when you leave. Even if that's not your American flag Budweiser can, pick it up anyway. My goal is to always make the area better than when I left. Improve the fire pit if needed. Look for no trespassing signs. Check your app if you have it

If rangers or DNR contact you, be honest and respectful. They're usually just trying to stop people from being idiots by shooting off fireworks in dry conditions, poaching or shooting across roads etc. If they ask you to move or tell you that you're somewhere you shouldn't be, kindly pack up and move. The more you protest the less they'll try to help you. Most DNR/rangers I've encountered have been super cool and like talking with people who also love the outdoors once they establish you're not a child rapist poacher meth lab.

If someone else approaches you and tells you to leave, that is a more difficult decision. If you're not on their property, know you're good, and they aren't law enforcement, you should be fine but it may not be worth staying if this person is going to continue being a problem or they make you uncomfortable.

Wow, that turned into an effort post quickly. Hope that helps.

Catatron Prime fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jul 23, 2020

CancerStick
Jun 3, 2011
Girlfriend and I just got back from Hocking Hills State Park here in southern Ohio. We camped in the primitive campgrounds for 3 nights and had a great time. The main park we did a 13 mile loop from the campground through Old Man Cave with the turnaround being Ash Cave. On Friday we drove to a few different points of interest that are little 1/2 mile to a 2 mile trail such as Rock House, Cantwell Cliffs, and Conkles Hollow. I can't offer any overnighters as my girlfriend and I are just now saving up to get gear to transition from car camping/day hikers to backpackers. We did do Red River Gorge which you already mentioned and can definitely recommend that as well. Really enjoyed Auxier Ridge trail when we were there.

We are heading to Pisgah National Forest around Ashville, NC the first week of June so I'll report back after that trip.

edit: Will look here in a little bit if I have any pictures from hocking hills.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Great idea for a thread! One of my favorite spots since moving to Sacramento is the Auburn SRA in the Sierra foothills. I haven't (yet) found any backpacking but there are tons of excellent trails between the North and Middle forks of the American river, lots of steep riparian valleys and ridgetop meadows. There's also the Foresthill Bridge, which is the highest in California and the fourth-highest in the nation, plus Vin Diesel drove a car off it in XXX.

Nearby to Auburn is the Hidden Falls park in Placer county. I've only been once but it's a fantastic multi-use trail system with an easy-access main road to the falls and then miles and miles of extra single track. Not a huge park but worth more than one visit I'd say.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
GSMNP - East Tennessee/Western North Carolina - I live in Knoxville, and I've only hiked 150 miles of the GSMNP at this point, but these are my favorites so far.

Mount LeConte via Alum Cave Trail - There are 5 trails to Mount LeConte, but the most popular (steepest and shortest) is Alum Cave. It is 5.5 miles to the summit and you gain a little over 2600 feet. The best thing about Alum Cave trail is how each mile is different. You hike along a stream, go through Arc Rock to Inspiration Point to Alum Cave then along rock ledges. Once on top you can visit the LeConte Lodge for lunch (it is only accessible by hikers and to stay a night you must reserved a year in advance). Also several different views overlooking the Smokies like the Cliff Tops and Myrtle Point.

http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/lecontealum.htm

Pro-Tip: If you have 2 cars go up the Boulevard trail to LeConte, but come down Alum Cave trail.

Other favorites:

Mt Cammerer Firetower (on a clear day best views in the GSMNP) - http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/cammerer.htm
Ramsey Cascades (best waterfall in the GSMNP) - http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/ramsay.htm
Charlies Bunion (a fun 8 miler for both new and experienced hikers) - http://www.hikinginthesmokys.com/charliesbunion.htm
Hemphill Bald (on the NC side of the GSMNP, and it is very different than most hikes in the GSMNP) - http://www.smokiesguide.com/hemphill-bald-trail/

My kids coming down Alum Cave trail

View from the Cliff Tops on Mount LeConte

View from Cammerer Firetower

Ramsey Cascades (also the only time we ever ran into a bear in the GSMNP)

View from Hemphill Bald

Flambeau
Aug 5, 2015
Plaster Town Cop
Tennessee (Middle): A favorite of mine is Savage Gulf Natural Area, part of the noncontiguous South Cumberland State Park, located about 1.5 hours southeast of Nashville. The Gulf is located on the western rim of the Cumberland Plateau and encompasses three converging gorges featuring sandstone cliffs, limestone sinks, and old-growth forest. Popular waterfalls and swimming holes are scattered throughout, as are locations of historical interest. Over 50 miles of interconnected trails and backcountry campgrounds offer a variety of options from casual plateau strolls to strenuous boulder-hopping. Rock climbing is available at the easily accessible Stone Door formation and overlook.

Another nearby section of the state park is the well-known Fiery Gizzard trail, which begins in beautiful Grundy forest and has its southern terminus at the swimming and climbing destination Foster Falls.

Savage Gulf Trail Map

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib
West Virginia

I just got back from the Dolly Sods area but we actually backpacked the Roaring Plains Wilderness. Similar to Dolly Sods but the terrain is much more treacherous and you have to hike the elevation change instead of driving up it.

Roaring Plains Pano by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Roaring Plains Loop Trail Vista by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Roaring Plains Pipeline by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Roaring Plains Last Leg by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Roaring Plains Clouds by jarredsutherland, on Flickr

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That looks grand.
We did a mountain bike trip in west virginia, and were surprised when the locals told us it was fine to ride even though it had just been raining. Then we saw why, cuz the trails looked like your last photo. Still a sweet zone, but different than the flowy dirt that's gotten big lately.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
I live in Akron, OH and just after my 37th birthday in May I decided to stop being a lumpen sedentary pig and get walking/hiking. Nothing serious yet but I'm trying to work my up to real hiking. I've been discovering the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, finding all of the loop trails I can. Today I did the Wetmore trail - my favorite yet - a four mile loop. Super fun: https://www.conservancyforcvnp.org/experience-your-park/outdoor-adventures/wetmore-and-tabletop-trails

Also great fun is the Pine Lane/Buckeye Trail loop in Peninsula: https://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/upload/Valley_South_2016.pdf

I've lost nearly 10 pounds since I started walking/hiking. There are SO MANY cool places to do so around here, and I'm always looking for more, so you Ohio goons feel free to offer suggestions for someone inexperienced but eager to do more!

Also, I'm going to south Nashville on the week of the 20th to watch the eclipse in Smyrna and would love some suggestions for places to go walking and hiking. I actually lived there for 4 years but was a total goon and did not explore anywhere outdoors, so I don't know any good places. Savage Gulf sounds awesome but I will technically be working that week and a 3 hour round trip drive time + hiking seems like a stretch. I'll be staying near Brentwood so TN goons please tell my your favorite places nearby!

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan
So I actually roped my boss from my corporate office in Nashville into going to Savage Gulf and hiking it with me. The route we chose ended up being about 5.5 miles longer than we anticipated and it was a BALLBUSTER. 15.4 miles in total, which was considerably more than either of us had done in one go before, and the elevation changes near the end were brutal. Still, fun hike.

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.
Nice! I've taken to a bit of hiking this year to get my 46-year old fat NE Ohio self out more. A pair of trekking poles helped overcome a knee that tends to hurt otherwise.

I'm not as familiar with the park system near Akron, living up near the lake, but I do enjoy the hikes available via the Lake Metroparks, Geagua Park District and Cleveland Metropark systems around here.

I have enjoyed using the Cuyahoga Scenic Valley Railroad Bike Aboard program to take me 30 miles sound to Akron and then ride back on my bike.

I'm looking to try snowshoeing and cross country skiing this winter as well.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I like the Lake District National Park, in Cumbria, and Snowdonia in Gwynedd.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Quebec Run wilderness area in SW PA is a hidden gem, it looks very small on a map but you can do a decent weekend backpacking trip in there and it's heckin beautiful. Annoyingly few places in PA allow dispersed camping, but this place does.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Lordshmee posted:

I live in Akron, OH and just after my 37th birthday in May I decided to stop being a lumpen sedentary pig and get walking/hiking. Nothing serious yet but I'm trying to work my up to real hiking. I've been discovering the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, finding all of the loop trails I can. Today I did the Wetmore trail - my favorite yet - a four mile loop. Super fun:

Hey Akron buddy. CVNP is just down the road from me and hardly a week goes by that I don't hike at least one of its trails, most often Hampton Hills. It's really gorgeous and offers a variety of elevations that keeps it challenging and invigorating. O'Neil Woods is cool too, especially since it connects to the Towpath Trail for days when I really feel like tiring myself out. I haven't gotten out to Wetmore yet, I'll have to give that a try soon.

khysanth
Jun 10, 2009

Still love you, Homar

I'm obsessed with the San Gabriel Mountains in SoCal. Lots of good hiking and camping. The Silver Mocassin Trail runs through the center from south to north and sees little traffic. The first two days are brutal, though (Chantry Flat --> West Fork Trail Camp... West Fork Trail Camp --> Chilao Campgrounds). Lots of elevation gain and loss.

The last ~30 miles also runs concurrently with the PCT, so during certain times of the year you get a lot of thru-hikers.

Here's my map on caltopo!

khysanth fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Oct 17, 2017

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Anyone have any cool kayak camping spots or trips they’d be willing to share? A few years ago I did the Roanoke River trail and it was about one of the coolest things I’ve ever done. I’d love to do something like that again but it’s hard to find multiday water trails with established camping like that.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

OSU_Matthew posted:

Anyone have any cool kayak camping spots or trips they’d be willing to share? A few years ago I did the Roanoke River trail and it was about one of the coolest things I’ve ever done. I’d love to do something like that again but it’s hard to find multiday water trails with established camping like that.

Go do Pictured Rocks via Kayak in the UP of Michigan. It is more open water on Lake Superior but super bad rear end. Islands, views, waves, etc. Michigan generally has a lot of rivers to float in a Kayak as well that you can camp along.

The other very obvious answer is to go to Minnesota and do the boundary waters. Most people canoe it but kayaking would be fun too. Again flat water and paddling vs floating a river.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Anybody have any suggestions for different sites for researching locations/adventures? I'm partial to https://www.outdoorproject.com/ and using both Gaia GPS & All Trails to find other poo poo to do.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Do you mean like, diving into the details once you have a particular location or region in mind?

You can try requesting and checking out outdoor guidebooks about that area from your local library *thumbs up and smile @ camera* I've had lots of success with that.

Also honestly asking here on the something awful dot com internet comedy forums has yielded a lot of really good advice on specific locations for me.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

spwrozek posted:

Go do Pictured Rocks via Kayak in the UP of Michigan. It is more open water on Lake Superior but super bad rear end. Islands, views, waves, etc. Michigan generally has a lot of rivers to float in a Kayak as well that you can camp along.

The other very obvious answer is to go to Minnesota and do the boundary waters. Most people canoe it but kayaking would be fun too. Again flat water and paddling vs floating a river.

Oohh... Pictured Rocks was at the top of my list for this year, until covid hit and killed plans for a group trip. I’ll add both of those to my list, much appreciated! Boundary waters sounds incredible, I’ve been wanting to visit Minnesota for awhile now and that’s the perfect excuse!

drstrangelove
Nov 26, 2007
No Fighting in the War Room!
Memorable Hikes in WA:
Lake Colchuck - The upper enchantments are also great, but you have to win the lottery to camp (and it's a slog as a day hike).
Camp Muir - Get most of the scenery of summiting Mt. Rainier without the slog up Deception Cleaver. Awesome glacier views. Fun glissading depending on the time of year or how little you value your life.

The North Cascades are pretty underappreciated. But I'm not quite sure what I would recommend there. Lots of great peaks. I've mostly gone for climbing (Early Winters Spires/Liberty Bell are classics and are surrounded by other classics). The national park in the area is one of the least visited in the US if you are looking for hipster cred.

Washington has a ton of mountainous lakes. I have fond memories of backpacking with friends to generic lakes. Get far enough out and no one cares that you are there.

The dispersed camping is also great. And particularly great as an alternative for busy weekends. The quote up above about just driving to random places and camping is pretty accurate.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

highme posted:

Anybody have any suggestions for different sites for researching locations/adventures? I'm partial to https://www.outdoorproject.com/ and using both Gaia GPS & All Trails to find other poo poo to do.

Washington state has WTA (Washington trail association) which has their own database of hikes, hiker reports, location maps, etc. It's a great resource but it's specific to Washington. Their app is handy too. Some other states might have a similar utility but I do realize Washington is a state abundant with hikers and trails so there's a huge community to make that happen which other states might not have.

Facebook groups usually have hiking and backpacking groups so you can connect to locals. All trails is pretty useful too.

You can always contact a specific park/area and see if they have paper or PDF trail maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

That WTA app sounds perfect. For Oregon there is https://www.oregonhikers.org/ their data is pretty extensive and they have great filters for searching for hikes. I'm not a giant fan of their map (I'm not a giant fan of most web maps that use that specific Google Maps UI) but that's professional bias, and although their interface functions, it's ancient and hurts to use.

When looking for a spot in an area I haven't been to, I'll usually do some cursory investigation on Recreation.gov or the USFS/BLM sites to see what's available etc. There are a few sites like Outdoor Project (TheDyrt is another I trust) but it seems for Oregon they have the most comprehensive info. They have well compiled field notes & maps in PDF forms to download as well.