Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alanthecat
Dec 19, 2005

My friend knocked his laptop off the table when it was turned off! When turned on it made some nasty noises so I shut it off. Then I put the HDD in an USB 3 case, it didn't make the same noise, and we were able to browse to C:\users and request to change permissions on his %USERNAME% folder but it didn't seem to get anywhere and every minute or two the drive would make a short, strange noise.

I ran CrystalDiskInfo and the numbers look bad but the health says good:

Is it time to send it away? And how confident should we be about getting data back?! There's some work stuff on it that's newer than the last backup. I have a licence for Runtime GetDataBack and patience if it can be done at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
All those numbers are perfectly fine. You're interested in the raw values and all the bad ones (reallocation, read errors, uncorrectable etc) are all zero.
However, if it's making a new noise then you'll want to copy off any important data as soon as possible. The more you use it (or just power cycle it) the more chance there is that it permanently fails if there is a problem.
If it were me, I'd be imaging the disk as soon as possible while it still works. If that's too technical then just robocopy/filecopy data off, but imaging is a better option. ddrescue off a RIPlinux boot disk or something.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 27, 2017

• Locked thread