Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Deceitful Penguin posted:

What the hell is even happening in this game. People live in the sky and there's war between corporations and now people wanna gently caress those people over?

Is it just a lot a words around that? What has any of it got to do with the earlier game, seeing as we've already killed the main character from it?

Kojima power plants generate tons of energy, useful in a war and for production in general. They also generate a ton of airborne Kojima particles (PA, the NEXT shields does that too) that are radioactive and more or less slowly turn normal matter into more Kojima particles before decaying or something? Either way that pollution sticks to the ground so in order to save your workmeat, fightmeat, thinkmeat and actual human beings (C-levels) from the deteriorating environment and apocalypse unleashed in the National Dismantlement War and the Lynx War, you shove them in giant aircraft, the cradles, that are powered by beam transmitted energy that comes from giant Kojima plants with MW beam emitters, the arteria facilities like the one in that chapter ending mission.

ORCA went after those power plants, presumably for reasons, this might cause cradles to have to crash land or plain old crash.

It's amazing that so many games go with a loving horrible "as you know" infodump and that AC4A both kinda does it and completely fails to give you any information about its setting anyways. Armored Core games.

Well, to be honest Supreme Commander kinda did the same but there were also tons of pretty explosions like here so it wasn't too important.

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Looks like you caught in the auto-copyright for white glint hard mode.

e: and thank you for introducing me to Rodrigo y Gabriela.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 22:17 on May 18, 2017

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Looks like it only ate the stick in the US:
http://polsy.org.uk/stuff/ytrestrict.cgi?ytid=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLQUuq_cZprY
For now.

Surprised that the GEMA didn't pounce on it.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Basically Kojima particles are like GN particles from Gundam 00 except instead of giving you telepathic abilities and the ability to communicate with metallic objects you just get cancer and die instead.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Basically Kojima particles are like GN particles from Gundam 00 except instead of giving you telepathic abilities and the ability to communicate with metallic objects you just get cancer and die instead.

Nuclear weapon analogues in a Japangame that end up destroying the Earth? Perish the thought!

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?

What the hell is even happening in this game. People live in the sky and there's war between corporations and now people wanna gently caress those people over?

Is it just a lot a words around that? What has any of it got to do with the earlier game, seeing as we've already killed the main character from it?

SIGSEGV got most of it, and unfortunately none of the motivation or plans for ORCA are really explained until you go the ORCA route in new game plus. Right now all we know is that they're trying to ground the Cradles because they're big bad anti-corporatists who want everyone to suffer on the ground with the poors. By working with The League through Collared we're preventing people from dying during the crashes and due to KP exposure, but we're also enforcing the status quo.

wiegieman posted:

Looks like you caught in the auto-copyright for white glint hard mode.

e: and thank you for introducing me to Rodrigo y Gabriela.

haha ok well so much for Danger Zone, guess I'll have to grab something else and reupload today.

Don't forget about making you go insane after awhile.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
No no, I totally get why you'd want to send the cradles crashing down, heck, I'd do that too if I was on the ground. But first they were the people with White Glint and now it's some ORCA dudes and just, huh?

What I don't get is why the games are so vague about everything. Is this a game that actually had a manual? Were you intended to have played all the games before this?

I mean, it isn't terribly complex but it still feels a bit odd when the loading screens are giving me important info on who is who

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The game finally let me download the updated regs and holy poo poo I can fly now.

quote:

Don't forget about making you go insane after awhile.

AC is awful light on laughing darkly for a From game.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

No no, I totally get why you'd want to send the cradles crashing down, heck, I'd do that too if I was on the ground. But first they were the people with White Glint and now it's some ORCA dudes and just, huh?

What I don't get is why the games are so vague about everything. Is this a game that actually had a manual? Were you intended to have played all the games before this?

I mean, it isn't terribly complex but it still feels a bit odd when the loading screens are giving me important info on who is who

One more of the reasons you might want to ground the cradles is because they require Kojima power because there isn't any other really effective power generation around (especially since the league had the Megalith solar plant destroyed since Line Ark used it) and therefore the cradles increase KP pollution. At some point the KP density is going to be high enough to leak up to cradle altitude and is going to wreck the cradles and kill people up there anyways so it's basically just hiding from the inevitable at this point.

From games delight in telling you nothing and have done so since forever.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
When are you going to get the white glint AC and parts so you can fly around FOREVER?

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Uhhh I can pretty much fly around forever already, I just don't get super cool fold-out wings. We'll get the White Glint parts after we help the Anatolian out and defend Line Ark this time around.

For the chapters from here on I'm not going to record the missions I've already done before. There are some missions with NG+ cutscenes after that I'll have to record but I'll try to dump those into their own video for the sake of not wasting everyone's time watching me play the same missions several times over.

Update 11:

And mankind will be safe to dream, floating above the clouds.
Ending 1: Ask No Question, Get No Answer
Chapter 1 NG+: The Drone Apocalypse
Chapter 1 NG+ Hard Mode

uhhhhhhhhhhhh hold up

Here's what the first ending and the new game plus cutscenes are going to show (more like strongly imply) as we go towards the next ending:
- Otsdarva (the top Collared Lynx) also goes by the name Maximilian Thermidor (the leader of ORCA).
- Otsdarva is actually a double agent for Omer.
- ORCA is possibly 1) a honeypot operation for enemies of the League and/or 2) a way to set up Omer to take control of space and become the most powerful corporation and the savior of humanity. (way more on that as we go but keep that in mind)
- Otsdarva fakes his own death during the battle with White Glint at Line Ark. The MAIN BOOSTER MALFUNCTION was possibly collaborated with the Anatolian ahead of time so that he could go back to being Thermidor and get back to ORCA's plans.
- The conversation between Malzel, Julius Emery, and Neo Nidus shows that Hari died during an ORCA mission to take out an Arteria facility during the Cabracan/Motherwill timeframe and now they need a replacement pilot to be their heavy lifter.

:thumbsup:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Man, I had no idea the assault cells actually showed up in game. I thought they were supposed to be way out in space.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
So, for AF Jet Laser Blades aren't that good, as it seems what you need to hit is bellow you. Physical blades meanwhile will easily destroy them if you land in the hole, due to wonky hitboxes.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

It looked tedious as all hell, but flying around killing drones with laser swords is the most Gundam thing you can possibly do.

wiegieman fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 20, 2017

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Since there aren't a lot of hard mode missions remaining, I'm going to put the rest of the dumb ones into one cut and the difficult/hard ones in another after I've shown all three endings. I'm also going to cut in one of the hard mode missions after the end of chapter 3 mission because it happens to have a cutscene after it that I feel like should have been in the normal mode of the league ending for clarity but whatever. There are also another 2 league missions I missed so I'll go back and get those.

Update 12:

Paintshop 6
Chapter 2 NG+: drat Strayed you lookin a little thin
Chapter 3 NG+: We're Nihilists, Lebowski (less final mission for clarity)
ORCA Ordered Battles: please note half these guys are dead already

A bland dude who we kill in one of the first few missions.

He's the unidentified quad AC that was with No Count.

I think he's supposed to pilot the 00-ARETHA that shows up in one of the hard missions, but almost all of his plot/lines got cut from the game.

The third guy who shows up in the No Count Hard Mode mission. His pet is a giant burrowing cockroach.

Those dildo-looking things on the shoulders are assault armor boosters that I'll use later on.

The highest ranking not-double-agent member of ORCA.

This is the tank guy we fight at Big Box.

He has Anje's moonlight. We'll get it after defeating him. It's extremely good.

The vega hi-laser rifle she uses is very powerful and she can make the fight at Arteria Cranium really difficult if you're trying to FIGHT WITH HONOR or not rely on Nobless Oblige that much.

The weird thing on his back is the assault cannon, and all it does is extend out the assault armor blast in a straight line forward. Mostly useless because you can't aim it up or down, but it can zone out a large swath since going into the area after the blast will still drain PA.

His weapon loadout is the same from his other AC. His plan gets explained really late in the game and there was probably a less convoluted way to go about doing it but who am I to judge.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
*looks at giant hole in the side of the tower*
"the power recycling plant has received minimal damage"

On some of those missions it seems you could have just gone with rifles and blades and had better results, and probably with a FCS that didn't have a range of 10 feet.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
it's fiiiiiine

The Aspina arms are basically just pieces of metal with a vice grip to stick the guns in and they're the reason that my arm weapon tracking is so terrible.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

Ugh, you just brought back nightmares of trying to use the TORUS kojima cannon arms effectively.

You can't.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

SugarAddict posted:

*looks at giant hole in the side of the tower*
"the power recycling plant has received minimal damage"

That's just the vinyl siding, it's happened to all of us, a little barbecue too close to the house and surprise wrecked siding but it's an easy fix.

Also I don't get why they call it a power recycling plant, the air in the greenhouse zone heats up and then rises up the tower and turns the turbine, very little recycling in there.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Probably a bad translation of renewable energy plant, which of course the corporations are trying to blow up.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

It may be corporations but I'm pretty sure they want it destroyed because it'll effectively destroy Line Ark's ability to do anything.

It was built by Leone Mechanica which is an Interior Union component now I think?

I think the recycling comes from the engrish briefing calling it a circulation type power plant which is actually more accurate.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
Ok so there's one more update after this (and it'll be good) but it required me to play through the game another two times and there's going to be a lot of editing and salt and it'll include the hardest mission in the game series by a long shot. There are no more endings after this, just hard mode completionist things.

Update 13: world is a gently caress

Ending 2: The Answer Justifies the Means
Paintshop 7
Ending 3: ok I understand we're in a gray area but there is actually a wrong answer to this

Ending 3 is by far my favorite bad ending out there and what I assumed was canon until a short story and an art book basically put out that the ORCA ending happened.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The third ending is clearly the best ending, you thwart the League, ORCA and the Omer preparations to dominate the future.

Also you get a lot of numbers to go up and keep going up. And keep some other numbers down. It's a good ending.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

I just realized the emblem you did is megame's hat, and you are using more missiles but no big ekploshun weapons.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

According to my calculations, you're only at 16.66 Hitlers after taking down Cradle 03. That's pretty small time for planetary genocide.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
That was just the start though. :unsmigghh:

Also, funny story about the explosions: those grenade arms actually have a pretty massive blast radius, but the graphics for the explosions were toned way down from 4 because it resulted in some 4v4 matches just taking place inside a 200 meter high column of fire. It was really hard to see when you had more than one person with large missiles or grenades. In the last set of videos a lot of the hits look like near misses just because of how tiny they made the fireballs. :(

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

According to my calculations, you're only at 16.66 Hitlers after taking down Cradle 03. That's pretty small time for planetary genocide.

Everyone forgets the Romani (and the holocaust in North Africa). He's at maximum about 9.1 Hitlers. Also I'm amazed they managed to shove that much living space in those tiny thin flying wing things.

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
They're sort of in a desperate situation so I don't imagine it's the most comfortable.

I was thinking of waiting on this update but I've got everything uploaded and I'm roughly at the point of burnout with this.

Last Update: 5v2

Normal Mode Cleanup
Dumb Hard Mode Cleanup
Fun Hard Mode Cleanup
Last Missions Hard Mode: Old King Lives
Extra: The Real Occupation of Arteria Carpals Hard Mode Experience (warning: lots of angry yelling and fightgame salt because those were all the times I got close)

Well, that's it. Hope you enjoyed watching supersonic robots.

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012
Thanks for all the fish!

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I loving love supersonic robots.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
I never did beat that final mission on Hard. Ugh, what a pain in the rear end.

You know, I wonder if in this world there are parts of a contract in where you have the option of just loving off if an AC shows up to the party. I mean, you're super boned and stand almost no chance of even damaging it before you brutal execution. I know it sounds way too humanitarian for this world, but man, I would sign up for the guys who say "Yeah, you won't even slow these guys down. Just put down your gun and wait for them to leave."

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

The salt generation factor of that mission is simply the best. Also that Boss Lady comes back to murder you personally.

Also:

AC4A is a Good Game.

You haven't shown the beauty of VOB + tank legs.

A little known fact is that AC4A makes for some great dance parties:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWKfCpzpxg4

SIGSEGV fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 23, 2017

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

SIGSEGV posted:

The salt generation factor of that mission is simply the best. Also that Boss Lady comes back to murder you personally.

Also:

AC4A is a Good Game.

You haven't shown the beauty of VOB + tank legs.

A little known fact is that AC4A makes for some great dance parties:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWKfCpzpxg4

Oh good, I knew I had forgotten something. Thanks for posting that.

And I always find it funny that no matter how artists try to draw the rest of the cast when they try to put a face to them, Strayed is always just that puffball.

Doopliss
Nov 3, 2012
That was most definitely a bunch of supersonic robots. Going from playing AC1 as a child directly to AC4 was a surprise to say the least, but I really do adore the 4s' sense of style. It's a delight to see someone with a deeper knowledge of the game than "hey, double gatlings on my back work pretty alright" go through it in detail.

I'm ashamed to admit I can only recognize White Glint, Fiona, 4A Handler, Otzdarva and Merrygate out of that list. I'm probably going to have to go replay the games and try to imagine all the characters as fluffballs now.

Doopliss fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 24, 2017

Atlatl
Jan 2, 2008

Art thou doubting
your best bro?
The ones in the middle are Strayed, Gerald (probably), and Old King.

That video has got to be the PS3 version because I remember getting single digit fps on the 360 version when there were missile tornadoes on screen in multiplayer.

sleepy.eyes posted:

You know, I wonder if in this world there are parts of a contract in where you have the option of just loving off if an AC shows up to the party. I mean, you're super boned and stand almost no chance of even damaging it before you brutal execution. I know it sounds way too humanitarian for this world, but man, I would sign up for the guys who say "Yeah, you won't even slow these guys down. Just put down your gun and wait for them to leave."

I think most of the time you show up as a total surprise and nobody really even has a chance to run away since you move so fast. That's also why I like the No Count mission so much. He just asks everyone if he can leave and nobody cares enough to stop him.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Having a NEXT (even a bad one) show up is like being on the receiving end of an airstrike. None of these missions last all that long, and the things are impossibly fast and maneuverable.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Man, that was some really bad pay considering the number of people killed. Deffo my fav ending though and holy smokes that last level was amazing. The blood of the bourgeois rained from the sky and we got to be history's greatest monster.

I never gotta mention it before now, but I gotta say the lack of real locational damage is really weird, when anything big can just be beaten by going up to it with a sord and cutting up its butt.

Very FROM but not very compelling at times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I never knew about the Assault Cells in the Cradle stages. That's awesome.

And drat, good loving job with hard mode OoAC. I literally never saw anyone go inside the walls to fight those guys before. Everyone always lured them out and blew them up with those Kojima charge cannons.

• Locked thread