Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Problem: Recently managed to perform a successful reinstallation of OS X on an iMac. Everything works fine until attempting to connect to WiFi. The computer detects the wireless network fine, but after entering the password and pressing connect the computer freezes and the screen becomes dim from top to bottom. Following this, a transparent dialog box appears in the middle of the screen with various languages saying to hold down the power button to turn the computer off.

Attempted fixes: I haven't really had any options for attempting to fix this. A Google search revealed that older versions of OS X have problems with IPv6 addresses, which my ISP uses, and might explain the computer freezing when attempting to connect to WiFi? I looked up information about Mac OS X Snow Leopard on Google and the Wikipedia page states that version 10.6.8 did something to fix problems with IPv6 addresses, but I'm stuck on 10.6.4 and can't use the built-in software update feature due to lack of internet connectivity. I did disable IPv6 in the Network Settings to see if that helped, but the computer still locks up the same way.

Recent changes: This is a fresh install of OS X 10.6.4 using the installation disk that came with the computer.

Operating system: Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4

System specs: It's a 2010 iMac. 3.2 GHz i3. 4 GB Memory. 1 TB HDD. ATI Radeon HD 5670.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

You could see if you could find the update as a standalone install and download it elsewhere, then run on it on the iMac in question.

If you have a router around that could be set up as an access point then you could use that to connect to the WiFi and then just connect the iMac with ethernet.

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008
Can you download the 10.6.8 combo update on another computer and transfer it to that iMac on a usb drive, etc?

https://support.apple.com/kb/dl1399?locale=en_US

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Thanks for the help :) I downloaded the combo update onto my PC and copied it on to a USB drive as suggested, and after installing it on the iMac it can connect to the WiFi perfectly fine, no more kernel panics!

• Locked thread