Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Let's Play Bloodborne, not blind, no HUD

What?
Bloodborne is a game made by FROMSoftware, the Dark Souls guys, and published by Sony for their slick and new Playstation 4. You might've heard of it.

A departure in setting from Dark Souls, Bloodborne takes place is "Victorian Times" where shields are for scrubs and guns are all the rage. It features a slick-as-gently caress combat system that lets you regenerate health if you are quick to retaliate to an attack, enabling you to trade blows like never before.

While lacking in the number of weapons the souls series is somewhat known for, it makes up for it with high-quality. Every weapon has two move sets, a transformed and untransformed mode. This is somewhat akin to the 2-handing and dual wielding modes available in Souls 2 and 3, but doesn't offer exceptionally high bonus damage or extra stamina use in return. Also you can run for loving ever in Bloodborne thanks to how it manages stamina.

A good example of a transformed move set is the Threaded Cane. A general purpose short-sword in its untransformed state, it can be transformed into a serrated whip, think Ivy from Soul Calibur, or more likely, the Castlevania series. Whips are really good in Bloodborne, even if I'm loving awful with them.

Why?
I love this game. It's one of my absolute favorites, because of how the mechanics and story and setting all meld together. Consider the way weapons transform and infer that the game is basically about that: transformations. Things aren't as they seem. The way FROM Software is good at doling out ~lore~ in a fragmented way in dark souls is perfect for Bloodborne's world, one where you start as an outsider and slowly become more and more "inside" as you progress (and get better at the game to boot) It's perfection itself. I mean, my major gripe with the game is the developers mentioned you could generate a boss-rush chalice, which still hasn't turned up 2-3 years out. That's it. I guess parts of how the game progresses is a bit confusing, but I think I can help elucidate that in this Let's Play.

How?
I'm gonna try something a bit different here. I want the game to speak for itself generally, so I'll be silent on the majority of the videos. I'll begin each update with a short "letter" synopsis of what we've learned up to this point, what we've tried, and what our general goals are to progress. This is new ground for me, so we'll see how that shakes out.

Additionally, because of "the game speaking for itself" idea, I'm gonna play without a HUD. This means interesting things aside from not knowing HP, Stamina, Blood Vials (HP Potions) and Bullet counts offhand, it also means the game doesn't tell me what I'm targeting, if I'm poisoned or losing my mind, and of course, no knowledge of how dead a boss or monster is during a fight.

The game has interesting ways of giving you this information regardless. For example, the amount of time you have to "regain" or "rally" back your HP after taking a hit is generally shown as an orange section of your red HP bar, which slowly fades away. In game, your character model glows a soft orange and feathers float off your character during the time you can rally HP. Hits that connect during this time burst with light and a sound effect plays signaling the regain mechanic.

Poison is similar to dark souls and with no HUD that means no meter or "POISONED!" call out, you can only really tell by a faint purple haze that comes off your player model during a fight. Other than that, I have to judge my general usage of bullets, health vials, and my hp and stamina through trial and error and know-how.

I'm not perfect at the game, but I am decent at it. I have 300 hours on my main account, and have practiced speed running it a bit. While I won't likely be able to show off "everything" due to how I'll structure the narrative, I'll try and show off a reasonable amount of content. I'll be tackling the entire base game, including side areas, and all the DLC. I'll be killing ALL the bosses.

Earlier videos will be somewhat frontloaded with in-game dialogue, but as we progress further, they'll become more boss-rush in nature. I hope this "makes sense" mechanically in relation to the thread's progress through the game. Lot more "thinking" early on, less killing, with that inverting as the game goes on.

Let's Play:
I've recorded some videos already and edited some together, but am totally open to suggestions for progression (such as players suggesting where we should explore or look next) or weapons we should use/try out/ level the hell out of. While I CAN take advantage of continuity since I'm playing HUDLESS, I'll try my best to be transparent about my progress (or lack thereof). I'll try to keep updates on a consistent schedule. Progress should move at a decent clip.

This isn't a blind run though, so I don't expect to run into too many confusing issues in relation to back tracking or throwing myself at a boss over and over again. Of course, I also can't predict (or remember exactly) what it was like going through the game blind, so I hope I don't skim over stuff that needs more attention. If I do, let me know and I'll try to go into more detail. This could be anything, such as "what does that statue look like," or "show me more of [area]". It can be done!

My briefing "letters" as I'll reference them through the game and let's play are too long or not detailed enough, I can always adapt to that feedback. For boss names and the like, I'll include "translations" as the player character might not have that information early on. For example, an early boss named the Cleric Beast will be referred to as a "Greater Beast," but context should provide the information in a general sense. Other times, NPCs or flavor text will give us the information, and we'll learn through that.

I hope you enjoy. I'm already having fun at how "different" the game feels without a HUD. I really have to pay more attention to my surroundings, and without status bars or numbers to keep track of, I can get more immersed. I hope you will too.

Let's Play Bloodborne. updated May 21

Letter #0: Heading to Yharnam
Video #1: Central Yharnam and Gilbert’s Advice
Letter #1: A Greater Beast Slain
Video #2: Central Yharnam and The Path Into the Sewers
Letter #2: Viola's Husband
Video #3: Cathedral Ward and Alfred
Video #4: Old Yharnam and the Blood Starved Beast
Letter #3: Alfred and Old Yharnam
Video #5: Hemwick Charnel Lane and the Memory Altar Workshop Tool
Video #6: Vicar Amelia
Letter #4: Cathedral Ward and The Old Blood
Video #7: Henryk and Eileen
Video #8: Unseen Village and Darkbeast Paarl
Video #9: The Forbidden Woods and The Clinic
Letter #5: The Woods and the Cainhurst Summons
Video #10: Forsaken Castle Cainhurst
Letter #6: Forsaken Castle Cainhurst and The Unseen
Video #11: The Shadows of Yharnam, Byrgenwerth and The Vacuous Spider
Video #12: The Nightmare Frontier and Amygdala
Video #13: The Red Moon Rises over Yharnam
Letter #7: The Red Moon
Video #14: The Unseen Village and The One Reborn
>>Video #15: Nightmare of Mensis and Micolash<<

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 03:47 on May 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Update #1

Letter #1: Heading to Yharnam

Letter 1: Heading to Yharnam posted:

I’ve been sick. Nothing catastrophic yet, but I’m not getting any better and the doctors here don't know what is wrong with me. I keep hearing whispers about some city in the west called Yharnam, that apparently is a haven for people like me, sick, no one knows what’s wrong with them. They go to Yharnam, and get better. I thought it burned to the ground years ago. Apparently not. The last doctor I saw was amiable and generally open with me, until I mentioned Yharnam, then he dropped his voice as if someone was listening to us. He said he doesn’t generally talk about Yharnam, but…
He said they have something called “paleblood" that can cure anything. It sounds foolish… feverish to me. But it is impossible to find any reference to Yharnam without its blood -- Supposedly they don't even drink alcohol in Yharnam. They drink blood.
I guess I don't have a choice. I head out tomorrow, I should arrive in Yharnam by the end of the week.

Video #1: Central Yharnam and Gilbert’s Advice

[Mechanics]

quote:

”This lamp now transports you back to the Hunter’s Dream. Upon death, you will awaken at this lamp.”

Checkpoints: Bonfires / Lanterns
In Dark Souls you have bonfires as check points and 'save areas' scattered throughout each level. Reaching a bonfire unlocks it and lets you catch a breather, resting at one replenishes your healing items and restores your health. Finding one is always welcome. In late game in Dark Souls 1 you could teleport to specific bonfires, and in Dark Souls 2 and 3 you can teleport to any bonfire from any bonfire. Bloodborne does away with the resting mechanic, but allows you to teleport back to the dream, which then lets you teleport to any lantern you've unlocked, barring specific circumstances.

quote:

”Special blood used in ministration, Restores HP.
Once a patient has had their blood ministered, a unique but common treatment in Yharnam, successive infusions recall the first, and are all the more invigorating for it.
No surprise that most Yharnamites are heavy users of blood.”

Healing
In Bloodborne, you have blood vials instead of Dark Souls' Estus flasks. Estus was generally limited to a small number at the beginning of the game (say, 5 charges) and were always replenished whenever you rested at a bonfire/checkpoint. Resting at a bonfire would reset the level/enemies. You can't "rest" at bonfires/lanterns in Bloodborne, but you are generally "topped off" on your supplies and health when you use them to teleport.

Blood Vials are FAST. The most recent iteration of Dark Souls seems to have included some aspects of the vial regeneration system, the most obvious between Dark Souls 2 and 3 and Bloodborne is the ability to "keep moving" while using your healing item. (You can move when using gems in DS2, but not Estus, plus the regen rate is slower). Bloodborne's blood vials are so fast you barely break your sprint when you pump one into your leg. However, they aren't recharged when you teleport or use a lantern. You have an inventory of them. You spawn into the world with a maximum capacity of 20 blood vials, and they always heal roughly 30% of your total health, which is good, since you don't have to worry about "leveling them up".

This presents a sticky problem. Dark Souls rewards careful use of estus by allowing you to freely recharge them at any bonfire, the only price you pay is re spawning the enemies you just defeated. Bloodborne's inventory system means you are punished for over-using your healing items, which is easy to do if you're fresh faced and not as confident in utilizing the rally system in reclaiming lost health. You don't always have an opportunity to strike back and gain health, and if you're used to playing somewhat defensively, you'll miss even more opportunities.

When the game released you could hold 20 vials on your person, and store 99 in storage. Any additional vials picked up go to storage if you're full, and you are replenished from storage whenever you use a lantern. Thankfully, one of the first updates increased this storage capacity to 600, which is... extremely nice. Once you get into a groove and learn to dump bonus echoes/souls from leveling up into vials, you'll generally be good to go for the rest of the game. There is a way to increase your standard count of 20 vials, but you have to sacrifice other bonuses for it. (Say instead of 30% bonus visceral attack damage, you want +4 vials; none of these choices are permanent.)

This was definitely one of the bigger issues with the game on release. If you were face-rolling Central Yharnam, you were gonna have a bad time because you could only store about 5 respawns worth of vials, and it's EASY to pump through them if you keep taking glancing blows. The werewolves on the bridge alone can chew through a dozen easily if you are fresh faced. I tell anyone who picks up Bloodborne: if you can get through Central Yharnam, you can beat the entire game easily.

quote:

”Special bullets used with hunter firearms.
Ordinary bullets have no effect on beasts, and so Quicksilver Bullets, fused with the wielder’s own blood, must be employed.
The strength of Quicksilver Bullets depends greatly upon the wielder’s bloodtinge.”

Parrying/Guns/Magic
Aside from the rally/regain mechanic we see in this video, there is also the parry system. While you might assume at first that the replacement of shields with guns means you can shoot your way to victory in Bloodborne, this isn't the case (at least, not so much early on). Guns are your method of parrying enemy attacks. The principle is the same, you fire your gun just as the attack wind-up finishes and they're about to hit you. If your timing is correct, you're rewarded with a satisfying THUNK sound, and the ability to VISCERAL attack. This is the games version of a riposte, but you don't use your weapon for it. Your character's right hand grows into a claw as they thrust it into their victim, and tear something out. This damage is generally 1.5x to 2x your normal weapon damage, and is modified by Attack Up Modifiers on your weapon and your SKILL (dexterity) attribute.

Some white gloves you can find in the game reference this: "in some instances you must reach in and extract the cancer directly from the source."

Like Vials, you do not have an unlimited supply of "bullets". Each parry costs a bullet if you pull it off, but it is very easy to similarly chew through bullets on missed parries. You can give yourself 5 “blood bullets” at the cost of roughly 30% of your health. You can do this if you’re at 20/20 bullets, or 0. Since each gunshot does a pittance of damage, these 'missed shots' don't really contribute to your damage in a real way. This changes if you focus on leveling your gun or gun damage attribute: Bloodtinge. Some guns benefit greatly from focusing on this stat, and even some swords and other weapons see some benefit from it as well...

This presents an interesting inventory management. You have to watch your stamina, your health, and your vials and bullets. Not just your current amount, but how much you have in storage. You can generally judge your performance based on how quickly you're going through your reserves. This also presents issues with beginners, where they need vials to fight a boss but can't afford them or take too much damage when farming enemies of them. While you can also occasionally restore estus defeating specific enemies in Dark Souls, you can pick up blood vials and bullets almost everywhere. This adds somewhat to the scavenging, hunting themes, which... is kind of a stretch, but I'll assert it anyway.

Like Vials, there is a way to increase your “standard” load out of 20 bullets later in the game. This is useful because some weaponry requires more than one bullet, since it acts as both the charge for parries, and magic system in the game.

Crippling / Bonus Damage
While you can generally "parry" any enemy that is roughly your size, you cannot "parry" a majority of larger or boss sized monsters. You can inflict visceral damage by crippling them though. On our first boss, The Cleric Beast, we cripple its arms several times, and its head twice. In that fight, we can target either the Head or the Body with our R3 Lock-On. Targeting the head, the pistol has the range to cripple it within 2-3 shots, which sets us up for a visceral. (The Blunderbuss is more of a shotgun, which we'll see soon enough, and the bullet spread falls off before it can reach the head. I may be wrong, but it is nearly impossible to cripple the Cleric Beast's head with the blunderbuss unless it is recovering from an overhead attack and it's head is close enough to the ground)

The limbs are crippled similarly from taking enough damage. Crippling is a huge bonus in Bloodborne, not only because crippled limbs take additional damage, but because it grants you something you rarely get: CONTROL. While human sized enemies can be stagger-locked with normal attacks, bosses and larger monsters cannot always be staggered in this way, you lack a finer edge of control over the fight's progress. You feel defensive, trying to dodge and just "get your hits in". With the combination of the Rally Mechanic and the Crippling mechanic, you can turn the tables to regain Control over a boss fight. If the boss is aggressive, become more aggressive, and you'll be rewarded with reclaimed HP. Become focused in your aggression and you'll cripple it. A crippled limb ALWAYS stuns a boss momentarily as it grasps at the limb that's crippled, and will always force the boss to "heal" the limb later in the fight. Crippling a limb guarantees two instances when the boss won't be attacking you. Some bosses are especially weak to being crippled repeatedly, which can turn a headache into a cakewalk.

Generally, Heads that can be crippled will grant Visceral set ups. Limbs that can be crippled grant bonus damage and control. Of course, dealing more damage is control.

Bosses will always "heal" a crippled (or all crippled) limbs at once. We see this in our Cleric Beast fight when he sort of hugs itself and red light glows on each limb and it's head. This is what enables use to cripple the head again and visceral attack it twice in one fight.

I also wanted to mention that if there’s anything specific that people want shown off or would like to see, I can make it happen. Even if I’ve already done the content or something, I can do it. Like, “What would the Cleric Beast Fight be like with only [this weapon]” or “I never got to see [area/weapon/etc] in a previous LP or whatever, can we do X?” I guess if it hasn’t been shown off yet (or we haven’t reached that point) use spoiler tags.

Spoiler tag stuff!

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 23:26 on May 13, 2017

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

Bloodhound started out as my least favorite Souls game, but gradually became possibly my favorite for many of the reasons you mentioned. Starting out, especially when using DS2 as your jumping point, is really rough. I'd go so far as to say that some of the habits you learned in DS will be an active hindrance in this game. But the further I got and more comfortable I became with the systems, the more I loved it. The lore gets a bit nonsense and murky even by DS standards at times, but its still all in good fun.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Update #2

Letter #2: A Greater Beast Slain

quote:

The air is thick here in Yharnam. Not like home. I vaguely remember how I got here. Fever gripped me most of the night, I swear I saw a wolf climbing into my bed. I couldn't move. Then... fire? Small skeletons clawed at me, but it didn't feel like they were attacking me. They were shielding me. I think? Dreams don't make much sense to begin with, but whatever the good doctor administered, I think I'm... better. When I woke up, he was gone. The door is open, and there's a note I must've written down. I don’t remember. It's in my hand: "Seek Paleblood." I heard some movement in the front entry so I moved to investigate, hoping it was the minister and he could explain himself to me.

I was wrong. There was a wolf, bigger than any I've ever seen, eating a patient. I don't know if they were fresh or not, the blood looked the same to me. Just red all over the instruments, the metal tables, the wood. It was feasting, more than anything. I've seen worse, thankfully, but it didn't prepare me for what happened next.

I tried to escape the wolf, but it caught me and pinned me down. Within a couple of seconds, I was... dead. I woke up, as if from a dream, somewhere else. A small cemetery, with a workshop overlooking... spires that seemed infinite in the distance. A doll was resting in the garden, and the doors to the workshop were closed. The small skeletons... were coming out of the stairs. It doesn't make sense, but it did in the dream.

They offered me weapons. Yharnamite weapons.

There's a gravestone here, morbid. But it seems touching it and imagining a place I've been will transport me there. A strange sensation, not unlike waking from a dream and forgetting where you are.

Oddly enough, my own clothes don't feel familiar to me anymore. Almost foreign, really. Which is strange, I know. But it's true. They feel wrong to me. On me.

After taking care of the wolf, I felt a prickling sensation at the back of my head almost constantly, like a throbbing. If I close my eyes and focus on the prickling sensation, I can see something... hanging in that blackness. Glimmering. I can't quite say what it is. If I focus long though, everything fades away and I feel like I’m falling.

There's a street outside, it's just as crowded with carriages but also with dead horses, coffins with chains around them. It doesn't seem like the chains are for lifting either, but for... keeping them shut.

I found a man named Gilbert. He's an outsider too. I guess that's what I am. He told me that I've found myself in Yharnam on a particularly dangerous night: The Night of The Hunt. I've heard of these, but it was always similar to how the doctor told me about Yharnam in the first place: more like whispered rumors than actual fact. Yharnam closes up every couple of months and The Hunt begins. When it reopens, the streets are sparkling and the people are welcoming in off-putting ways.
Someone called me a Hunter. I don't think that's quite right. Whatever I am, I'm just passing through.

Gilbert advised me to go to another town called Cathedral Ward. Apparently the healing church, the one responsible for unique types of blood is stationed there. He says the access across the bridge is blocked right now, because of the hunt and normally outsiders can’t get there, but because of the Hunt, I might have a chance.
He said if I can't get to it through the bridge, to try the sewers.

I’ve found more Yharnamites locked inside their homes for the hunt, and they all tell me off and that I'm not welcome. I could have told them that, judging by these bands of... hunters wandering the cobblestone. No, they can't be hunters... too many are... covered in fur. Like they're afflicted with something blood can't cure.

I find myself getting a better grip on my weapons, my footing. My confidence isn't that of a man my age, but someone 10 years younger. When I was in the military, I was vibrant and full-headed. I'm feeling like that again.

I found some hunter garb, and it fits perfectly. I feel more comfortable in it, even if the protection it seems to offer me is minimal. Covering my mouth makes me feel a bit better about all the blood in the air. It's so thick... you can taste metallic most of the time when you're walking around the streets.

The roar of the fires cleansing makes it glisten with a particular color. Almost purple; deep blue hues. I keep watching it pool at my feet a little longer each time. I need to focus.

I found the bridge Gilbert was talking about. There was a huge Greater Beast blocking the path through, and after… dispatching it, which was surprising to me, since I'm still... I'm not recovering anymore. Whatever the doctor did must've worked. I'm feeling younger and more full of vigor than I have in not just years, but almost decades. My reflexes are faster, and my senses are heightened in ways I didn't know were possible. I can only claim there's something in the blood. Something more than human... but that seems wrong somehow.

I guess my next goal is to head for Cathedral Ward through the sewers in Central Yharnam.

>>Video #2: Central Yharnam and The Path Into the Sewers<<

The Letters will act as more overviews or debriefings about the previous videos, collecting information or new stuff we've learned. So while the first letter was more of an entry point to the first video, this one acts more as a debriefing. I think this will 'make more sense' when things are put together in a longer sense.

We meet our first NPC who wants help and Eileen in this video. I forget to mention her directly in upcoming, but she's important, not to mention she insists we kill some beasts: a hunter must hunt. "Without fear in our hearts, we're little different from the beasts themselves."

We also upgrade to the saw spear for two main reasons:

The spear favors Skill slightly over Strength (not that ours are misaligned currently) and most of its attacks are just as fast as the cleaver. Plus it is serrated in both extended and short forms.

Serrated is a damage type that grants 20% bonus to beasts or transformed monsters. The Cleaver is only serrated in it's short form, losing the status in it's extended form. The Saw Spear is serrated in both forms.

If the spear is a bit boring though, I can switch it out. I'll try to show off other weapons and the like when we start collecting them.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Update #4

Letter #2: Viola's Husband

quote:

I haven't been fatally wounded since the wolf attacked me, but every time I fell another monster, be it man or beast, I feel a prickling sensation. When I went back to the dream after killing the Greater Beast and finding the way forward blocked, the Doll was awake... It was standing. When I talked to it, it offered to heighten my power, using "blood echoes" when I accepted, she took my hand and I felt that same prickling sensation... drain out of me like water. Down my spine, a drip, drip, drip of ... something liquid. When she released my hand, it stopped immediately. I felt better. More than better. Something had changed.

The way forward was blocked, so I'll have to follow Gilbert's advice and find a way down through the sewers. I loathe the idea, the scent of blood is so strong down there it makes me nauseous. The beasts seem more... beastly down there as well. Longer limbs, and rats as big as hunting hounds.

But I'm determined. Someone has to know more about paleblood, because while I feel better, it doesn’t mean I’m cured.

Gehrman, an old man in the dream, who I originally mistook for the minister in the clinic, told me that I should "go out and kill a few beasts," for my own good. I can't say he's wrong.
But I wish he would've been a little more loose lipped with me about what the point of the Hunt is.

I made it through the sewers. The stench was strong, but fresh blood spilled on my clothing helped mask the rotten, curdling mud that was streaked down there. Crows, likely filled with blood, were perched above the rankest areas and ready to attack me. Deep down at the end of the tunnel out of the sewer was a pig— A boar. Something bigger

though. The size of one of the carriages itself. How can anything grow so large? Why is everything unnaturally large in Yharnam? Maybe that's the true purpose of the hunt. When things get too big for their glass, they have to be dealt with.

I found myself at the bottom of a place called Oedon Chapel, a cemetery unlike the one in the dream. No flowers, for one. No runes. Just a man, who I only recognize as a Father because of his clothing, and a nearby body had a name written on it, Viola, so I assume it's her husband. He was decapitating a wolf beast.
He snarled, the fog heavy in the tomb, and muttered about beasts all over the place.

I didn't have a chance to talk with him, as he had already gone over the edge. He attacked me, viciously and completely unlike the other Yharnamites I've encountered so far. He wielded a hunter axe and a blunderbuss, and his attacks were merciless and relentless, more akin to that of the wolf beasts or dogs, less like the easily fatigued Yharnamites.

I dragged him over to the stairs and took advantage of the height difference to fight him. I found myself invigorated with each blow we traded, as if the blood spilt from his body was soothing me, healing me, doing more than it should have. Yharnam Blood.

After a struggle, he dropped to his knees and hands and a white aura flashed, the next thing I knew he was on top of me, a wolf beast, but his clothes in tatters, still lumbering on his two legs and swiping at me. He seemed infatigible, while I wasn't as disposed. But I had my mental facilities about me, and while he was relentlessly attacking where I was,

I threw Molotov cocktails at him until he finally stopped moving and dropped dead to the ground.
Exhausted, I let the prickling pin pricks climb up my neck and I retreated to the dream.

I wonder if someone might know what happened to Viola and her husband.

There's another sensation I've experienced repeatedly now that I cannot ignore any longer. When I encountered the Greater Beast on the bridge, and when I encountered this Father during his transformation, I heard whispers in the center of my skull. Like they were pushing out, not filtering in from any outside source. They only lasted a few seconds, and not long enough to really grasp any words or phrases, but they were distinctly whispering. A secret. Just for me. Of something... something to do with water. A dripping.

I've made it to the Cathedral Ward. A blind man greeted me, startled by my presence. Another one to call me a Hunter. it doesn't seem as wrong this time... I'm finding I'm starting to like it, even. He claims the incense that he's laid out prevent the beasts from entering this sanctuary, an idea I find ironic considering the stench of blood coming off him.
He seems harmless and just wants to help people though, and considering the one other person I've encountered who demanded I find them a sanctuary, I think I found it.

>>Video #4: Old Yharnam and the Blood Starved Beast<<

We kill the Blood Starved Beast in this run of Old Yharnam. I gently caress around in my inventory for way too long cause I couldn't find "antidotes" (HINT they're the first item doh) cause I figured I was gonna be poisoned. Upon review, I got poisoned someway into the 2nd phase of the fight.

The most interesting part of not knowing the boss health is it's impossible to get greedy. I was totally surprised when it fell over dead.

Boss fight is at 15:10s

EDIT: I totally messed up and forgot an entire section of exploring Cathedral Ward before this part, which I only realized that I was referencing stuff I hadn't uploaded/seen. Whoops. I'll be plugging that gap soon.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 5, 2017

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
BSB feels about as aptly placed as smelter demon does if he replaced the old dragonrider in dark souls 2.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I can only think it's supposed to be like the sister church to the one full of werewolves wit the beast strung up from the ceiling since they have ritual blood there. It'd probably have made more sense if it was also full of wolves and the chalice was on the altar instead of a drop.

The way chalices are incorporated into the game feels lacking. Like Gehrman tells you about them, but there's not really a reason to use them. It'd have been interesting if you were forced to plunder a couple tombs from byrgenwerth since they have that trap door.

The beginning of the game is rough as hell. Progress from central yharnam to night time is kinda foggy.

I guess we're in a fine haze and should kill a few beasts.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I'm almost certain Chalices were originally part of the main game, at least the Pthumeru ones were, and you'd be able to enter at one point and come up at another or something. Also I think the BSB is where he is because the Healing Church was poisoning the people of Old Yharnam to force them to use the Healing Blood, the BSB is just the end point of the other poison beasts. More importantly is that it's clearly been experimented on, seeing as that floppy stuff hanging over it's face is it's skin that has nearly been flayed off it's back.

Old Yharnam in general is meant to be a bit weird, considering it's only half the original city anyway.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 5, 2017

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like the thought that the blood starved beast (or at least, some incarnation) was something that the church was using to infect people so they had to get blood ministrations.

I just realized I totally bombed an entire section of exploring cathedral ward and talking to Alfred (who is very important for helping clarify some poo poo you have no idea about this early) so I'll be plugging that.

I'm also going to start re-numbering the letters/exposition arcs to more closely align with the previous videos since that makes more sense. The first opening one is kind of a preamble (letter 0 if you will), but the overviews talk about previous videos so it makes more sense to have then denominated in that way.

The flaying is an interesting visual if you align it with like, self flagellation or the like.

Letter #3: Alfred and Old Yharnam

quote:

I found the paths forward blocked by gates and locked mechanisms. Finding the only path forward, I encountered a man named Alfred, a church hunter. He greeted me warmly, his grey clothing standing out in contrast to my blood stained leather.

The sun has been hovering on the horizon for several hours now, a fact that I considered when I first entered the tomb but ignored. It's unnerving now though, how long it's been sunset. I don't know what time it is, but it seems the clocktower in the distance endlessly chimes without moving forward.

I learned about Byrgenworth, the center of research and study and where the healing church discovered blood ministration. I'd have written off his words as rambling insanity if I hadn’t witnessed the things up to this point myself. I’m told Byrgenworth is through the woods, but the gatekeeper won’t let anyone past without a password. I hope I can find it, left behind somewhere, forgotten.

The path down leads to Old Yharnam. The note on the door warns Hunters to leave, but I have no choice. I hope whoever left it was a straggler, someone penning a warning to save lives, and won't mind me pressing forward anyway.

Old Yharnam is a mystery itself. I could see glimpses of it from the clinic, deep down below, under the bridge, weaving like a heavy air sinking in a cave. Blasted out archways and emptied out churches litter the place, and the location of it seems to defy understanding. The current city seems to have been built directly on the burning rubble of the former. A man called out to me over the distance, warning me away. I found standing beast men, smaller in stature than Viola’s Husband, but maybe the final result of the partial transformations I saw of the Yharnamites above.

When I ignored the man's warnings he fired upon me with a machine gun. I was able to avoid his watchful gaze and make my way to the bottom of his tower. I planned on paying his warm welcome an equally warm return, but decided against it.

I headed deeper into the lower catacombs of the Old Yharnam and found a church filled with wolves, the howling echoing off the stone and the beast strung from the ceiling as some kind of sacrifice. I managed to sneak past the majority of them and steal something called Ritual Blood off the altar. I'm not sure what I'll need this for, but seems important enough to them, so it must be worth while.

I made my way down to the lower bridge and found the ruined cathedral I spied from the Greater Beast bridge up in Yharnam proper. Something is crouched in the back... The stench is overwhelming.

Whatever it was, it was another beast. It's skin was flayed and pulled across its back like some kind of macabre cape, and it thirsted for blood in such a way I've never seen. It was merciless, and it's claws left welts and wounds felt like acid pouring down my neck and arms. I managed to distract it with some blood cocktails I picked up, since they seemed effective on the lesser beasts in Old Yharnam. I was able to get a victory under my belt, invigorated again with that prickling sensation.

I collected a ritual chalice for my deed and Gehrman advised I explore the labyrinth when I can stomach it.

Not now, I found a door in the chapel opened for some reason.

The missing video Video #3: Cathedral Ward and Alfred No boss fight in this.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 06:23 on May 5, 2017

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Oh man logarius was a blast at 38 with no hud. I'll catch up soon.

Clayren
Jun 4, 2008

grandma plz don't folow me on twiter its embarassing, if u want to know what animes im watching jsut read the family newsletter like normal
Powered through all of the videos yesterday and just want to say they're great. I often watch LP's more because I'm interested in a game I know I'd never play and less for "color commentary" so this is really great for me. Keep up the good work, it's nice to see a competent run that doesn't have 20 videos of grinding and failure.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Thanks man! It means a lot. I intend to catch up soon, sometimes my uploads crap out when I start them before bed.

I got about 3 videos to post.

Blog Free or Die
Apr 30, 2005

FOR THE MOTHERLAND

Clayren posted:

Powered through all of the videos yesterday and just want to say they're great. I often watch LP's more because I'm interested in a game I know I'd never play and less for "color commentary" so this is really great for me. Keep up the good work, it's nice to see a competent run that doesn't have 20 videos of grinding and failure.

Same, really enjoying this LP. I've tried watching a few, but this is the first one I want to continue.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Update

Video #5: Hemwick Charnel Lane and the Memory Altar Workshop Tool
Video #6: Vicar Amelia

Video 7 through 10 are enroute.

Fun fact, I learned Charnel is a house for bodies. It's been discussed in other forums and this one that Hemwick's primary export may be bone ash, which is a medium used to enhance the power of quicksilver bullets. We may be using this items later in the game, as they buff your next gunshot by roughly 2x damage. There's a gun we haven't picked up yet called the repeating pistol which fires two shots at once, consuming two bullets at once. The advantage of it is, you can only carry 10 bone ash at one time, and a single application buffs both bullets.

Other guns, such as cannons, use 12 quicksilver bullets. It is also used as a kind of mana for some spell-like tools we'll encounter more of as we progress. I'll try to show these off in a separate videos since I anticipate I won't be leveling Arcane or Bloodtinge enough to either equip them or show them off.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 13, 2017

Treuan
Jun 30, 2011

Go have some COFFEE with CREAM or something! Because I'll tell you something! This is a happy place!
I'm really enjoying your take on it. Seems neat how everyone's now starting to get back into one of the best souls game.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Letter #4: Cathedral Ward and The Old Blood

quote:

The newly opened passage is the way forward. Did the chapel dweller open it, or did Gehrman somehow do it? The Doll said that he can't be seen in the waking world, so I know how he would’ve. Unless picking up the chalice down in Old Yharnam is somehow connected to this stone door opening. I'm at a loss.

I explored this tower, Yharnamites scattered through it, cursing me, the city, the hunt and the beasts.

I found locked door at the top of the tower,
The engraving on the side sad it was an "Orphanage" and I could hear... arias past the doorway. When I leaned against the surface, I could feel them. Mists... something... the dripping grew louder. When I moved away from the door and the feeling vanishes like it wasn't there.

but what I found near the bottom, among the broken wood beams and debris… something unnerving.

I found the abandoned workshop. Well, it must be the Hunter's workshop, because the doll is there. Not awake like in the dream. Its finger twitches incessantly. I felt that whispering sensation pushing out when I found the place… A kind of... drawn out vertigo from when I was a child, exploring places I wasn't meant to: "You don't belong here.”

I quickly gathered what I could and left. Among the valuables, was an Umbilical cord. Withered and worn, as if it had been dropped by mistake. It seemed preserved, as if it was left behind from some kind of grim autopsy. Considering it was left on the memory altar, I’ll hang on to it. I’m sure it has a use.

I found a silver comb too, which I gave to the doll back in the dream. She cried at the sight of the gift and the tear turned into a bloodstone.

The bloodstones or gems, these hardened, crystal-like artifacts, from my explorations… my weapons absorb them like dry earth sucking up water. They vanish into the metal and wood and become a part of it. The weight doesn't seem to change, but the weapon seems... sharper.

I found more sane people down in the bottom of the Ward. A woman of the night, who graciously accepted my advice to head to the chapel, and a man who doesn't trust me, since I'm an outsider. I've forgotten already. I tell him the same advice I gave the woman, but God knows if he'll believe me or not.

It seems the path through the stone door has lead me past the locked gates scattered around Cathedral Ward.

Knowing that Albert told me about Byrgenwerth, which I imagine is the only place I’ll start to finally get some answers, is located beyond a forest, I headed past the grand doors guarded by two church ministers with strange crosses. I thought I found my way to the woods, scraping past some gun wielding Yharnamites and their horrific, bloodied attack hounds.

Instead, I found what appears to be a small hamlet. Women were cackling, the air was thick with smoke and ash burned my eyes. Bodies hang from every conceivable surface, and strange statues litter the landscape. I navigated through the acrid smoke and found myself in the largest building in the hamlet, something closer to a cathedral than an actual house.

Strange things happened in that room, I still don’t have a grasp on what. These long, black figures rose out of the ground and attacked me with sickles. Walking around, I found… what I can only call Witches… that seemed to be… summoning these specters. Their clothes were ragged and torn, but covered in what looked like eyeballs. That can’t be right though. Eyeballs. So many of them… dozens and dozens of eyeballs.

Making my way past that confusing mess, I found a dead body strapped to a chair. On his lap lay another missing workshop tool: the memory altar tool. The small leather satchel contained a brand with the same icon as the bold hunter’s mark that Eileen gave me: the same shimmering figure I can picture in my mind if I focus intently and long enough. This seems valuable, but the blood covering its surface makes me nervous as to how it works exactly.

Memories? While I know the basics of triage, I don’t know if I’m prepared to become a memory surgeon.

Finding the memory altar tool was a good thing. I found some runes along the way and was able to utilize them with a careful hand and some sedatives to dull the pain. The process of memorizing a rune isn’t intuitive: taking a rune and clearly picturing it isn’t enough, as much as I wished it was. I took a rune that spoke to me when I held it, “Heir” and inserted it into the tool. Gehrman watched as I fiddled with the tool, and I found the image of the rune seemed to push into my mind the closer I brought it to the back of my skull. Pressing it against the skin wasn’t enough, however.

I had to make a small incision along the base of skull, near the neck. Handling the tool took some dexterity, but some sedatives I found in the workshop did wonders on calming my nerves. I had to cut deeper, upwards, along the surface of my skull. Thankfully, the pain was dulled quite well. Wiping away the blood, I had to make contact with the rune against my skull, and holding it there. Closing my eyes at that point brought the rune to mind, sharper as ever, floating there in the black air. After a few moments, I dropped the tool and the rune stayed. I’m grateful I didn’t have to dig any deeper.

I stitched myself up as best I could without the aid of a mirror, but anticipate I might have to reopen if I find more runes in the future. Gehrman seemed to imply all Hunter’s took advantage of the memory altar, and when the tool went missing it was a strong blow to their strength.

It seems strange. I’m not quite sure I understand how any of this works. But I can say… it does.

I headed back to the grand cathedral doors I passed by on my way to the witches. Inside was a woman praying, and for a brief moment, I pictured the flayed beast down in Old Yharnam seemingly crouched over it’s own altar, as she was.

When I approached her shuddered and grasped at her medallion. With a screeching roar she transformed, in similar to Viola’s husband, but so much more grotesque at the same time. She transformed into the largest beast I’ve encountered so far, and I’m beginning to feel that beast isn’t quite accurate when describing such ghastly monsters .

Taking a cue from how effective fire was on the flayed beast, I coated my weapon with it using the same strange rune-covered paper I used in Old Yharnam. The heat heavy on my right hand, I attacked her limbs as she howled and screamed, bashing and clawing the stone floor as she tried to eviscerate me.

I stood my ground and survived.

On the Altar she was praying at, I found a beast’s skull, a hole caved into it’s forehead. When I touched it, a memory appeared fresh in my mind:

A an named Willhem talking with his apprentice, Laurence. He speaks of the blood: “We are born of the blood. Made men by the blood. Undone by the blood. Fear at the Old Blood.”

The vicar’s medallion has the same inscription written in it: “Fear the old blood.” Is this the password Albert was talking about?

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Treuan posted:

I'm really enjoying your take on it. Seems neat how everyone's now starting to get back into one of the best souls game.

Man I love this game. Someone said it works so well with how FROM Software doles out the lore cause it's so focused. Whereas Dark Souls 1 and 2 and 3 kinda became... a little bloated? Things talk about areas you'll never see or witness, whereas the most extreme you'll hear in Yharnam is "a foreign land" in the DLC.

We'll see more of this as we go along.

>>Video #7: Henryk and Eileen<<

The Doll posted:

Hunters have told me about the church. About the gods, and their love.
But... do the gods love their creations?
I am a doll, created by you humans.
Would you ever think to love me?
Of course... I do love you. Isn't that how you've made me?

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 12, 2017

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
>Video #8: Unseen Village and Darkbeast Paarl<<

Where we explore some more changes to Yharnam with the Night arriving, and kill Darkbeast Paarl

>Video #9: The Forbidden Woods and The Clinic<<
Letter #5: The Woods and the Cainhurst Summons

quote:

A man told me “A night of curses, a night to remember…” I can’t disagree.

It’s night now. I don’t know when the moon replaced the sun, but it is no longer sunset. The church giants are asleep, and stranger changes have rippled through all of Cathedral Ward and Yharnam.

I spoke with Eileen. She told me to avoid the tomb where I fought Viola’s Husband, that she had a mark down there. I ignored her advice and headed down and found a hunter in yellow garb attacking her. I helped dispatch him, and judging from her hard breathing afterwards, I’m not sure if she would’ve survived without my help. She thanked me and I learned Viola’s Husband’s name, Gascogine.

The prostitute I advised head to Oedon Chapel is here now. She offered me blood, and it seems especially potent compared to the vials I usually carry. She can’t offer me more right now, since she needs time to recover. Are women always the source of the blood in Yharnam? A woman of the night… is blood her main service?

The dweller seems happy that she’s talkative though. I found a rune in the upper rafters of the chapel that speaks “Oedon” to me when I hold it. There are other whispers too, something about blood as a medium… and voices and inadvertent worshippers, I don’t understand.

I spoke with Albert and found my way to the password protected door he spoke of. He told me about the Vilebloods, a group of heretics he seeks to destroy. Is this the same "old blood" that Laurence was advised to be fearful of? I'm not sure.

The password, “Fear the Old Blood" was the key to entering the woods that leads to Byrgenwerth. The woods are swarming with Yharnamites, dogs, and transformed beastmen. Traps are scattered throughout, hidden with crafty tripwires and pressure plates. There are small settlements down in the woods as well, which is surprising since it seemed implied that woods were forbidden to even Yharnamites to wander through. Byrgenwerth is here, I can feel it calling out to me. I don't hear any birds or wildlife in the woods, giving it an eerie, out of place atmosphere. Just the sounds of Yharnamites muttering to themselves, fire crackling feverishly, and the wind twitching the trees occasionally.

I found a cave with giants, much like the ones in the Cathedral Ward. Passing through led me to a ladder, and an old tomb that seemed to have been overflowing with bodies. The grave brought me back to Iosefka’s Clinic. I encountered another one of those… strange… squid-like beasts in the back alleyway, which took some work to handle.

I found myself in the clinic, taking a passage across some rooftops through an open window. The halls are dark, and that vertigo of unbelonging grips me frightfully. At the front of the clinic I found the most bizarre creature I've encountered yet: a blue humanoid creature, with too many long fingers on each hand. It looked at me curiously and didn't seem to be a threat, but after lingering near it too long, it lashed out at me. Its blood isn’t red like everything I’ve encountered, but a milky color. Not quite pale, but more tannish. Its head was bulbous and seemed to emit a fluid every strike I dealt against it, and when it died it sagged considerably and a sour stench filled the air. I can't tell if the squid beast and this are related in some way. When I killed it, it was clutching a vial of Iosefka's blood, her speciality. Strange, that.

I found a letter, addressed to me. It summons me to Cainhurst Castle, and it was within the clinic walls. Surely the blood minister was supposed to have given it to me before he

vanished after my transfusion. Perhaps I don't need to venture deeper into the forsaken woods and will find what I need at Cainhurst Castle.

Before leaving the clinic, I attempted to pay a visit to Iosefka, who has been, at the very least, an unwavering voice in the night. She seemed put off by my intrusion and threatened to attack me if I approached her any further. Like Djura in the Old Yharnam, I see no need to spill the blood of the sane, so I'll leave her be.

With this summons, I’ll head to Hemwick Charnel and perhaps finally find someone who knows about Paleblood at Castle Cainhurst.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 13, 2017

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
>>Video #10: Forsaken Castle Cainhurst<<

The funniest thing about playing without a HUD is the lack of tilting from "barely losing". There's no such thing as "he was so close" or even greed when you can't tell offhand how much health you or the boss have. Marytr Logarius has two phases: first phase he is easily staggered with normal hits or gunshots, and parrayable unlike most bosses. I knew from dying that I could push his second phase after nailing two visceral attacks on him, so I figured it would take about 2 more to finish him off. How wrong I was. I think I ended up doing 6-7 viscerals in his second phase to kill him. I forgot to mention this earlier, unlike dark souls which only require a standard light attack to an enemy's back to riposte them, you must fully charge a strong attack against an enemy's back to visceral/riposte them in Bloodborne. This nearly totally removes the "circle strafe and backstab" technique. Most of the time you can only get fully charged strong attacks off on enemies that are recovering from a long animation, and most bosses aside from human-sized ones, can't be backstabbed anyway.

Normally, when he transitions to phase 2, he charges up. This opens a window to get a charged attack off on his back and visceral him, knocking him out of the animation and power up. If you allow his power up to occur (which is usually accidental because he'll back up against a wall from fighting you before initiating the charge-up, preventing you from backstabbing him. This is inadvertent on his part, and an accident from the player's aggression that makes him continually back up against the edges of the arena. I spend a lot of time waiting for him to come to me since I can't easily tell when he will enter phase 2 at 50% health).

During phase 2 he becomes more aggressive, and if you let him power up, he becomes unparryable and cannot be staggered by attacks any longer. This makes him a complete nightmare.

I knew this boss would be tough at this level (roughly level 38-40) since a lot of people don't head to Castle Cainhurst until kinda late game. Most don't find the clinic the first time through the woods, or if they do, they are too focused on progressing forward to detour over to the Charnel and go to the castle. For the purposes of this LP though, there's pretty much no other time to go to Castle Cainhurst. Judging from how long the gargoyles and ghosts took me to kill, I tried pumping two vials every time I got struck by Logarius, since I died a handful of times from just not healing enough. It's strange when you can't tell how much health you have immediately, because you don't become overly cautious when you're low and can't really get upset from a "close one" since you never know when that really is.

I'm not as practiced at Logarius since I haven't rushed him early in a long time. Most of the other bosses are somewhat practiced, such as Vicar Amelia, who was the screaming beast in the grand cathedral. I knew crippling her limbs would kill her within a minute. The only thing we missed on her fight was, very late fight when she has bout 30% health, she'll start healing. This can be a nightmare if you don't have the crippling focus or damage to outpace her, as your only other option is to use numbing mists on her-- a primarily PVP item that prevents healing for victims it hits.

Some people will rush Cainhurst castle and boss because unlocking the covenant and picking up the items in Cainhurst is a great way to start a bloodtinge build. I mentioned in an earlier post that guns don't do very much damage, but this is only true if you don't pump your Bloodtinge stat, which primarily affects your gun damage.

Under normal bloodtinge conditions, say 8-12 that you start with your pistol will probably do chip damage, 20-25 to normal enemies around Central Yharnam. They have about 100-150 health each in new game 0 cycles. Beating Cainhurst unlocks the ability to buy the Chikage, a katana that scales off your Skill (dexterity for dark souls) in normal, untransformed mode, but scales off bloodtinge if you transform it (it also slowly drains your health at about 1% a second when transformed. New players will see a lot of blood stains in the hunter's dream when they're playing, and almost all of them are from people killing themselves either on purpose or accident with the chikage).

There are other weapons that scale off bloodtinge too, including stronger pistols and guns. The Evelyn gun we picked up in Cainhurst scales to an S ranking at +10 reinforcement, versus the A ranking of the Hunter's pistol. It has some hit box issues, where the length of the gun can sometimes penetrate an enemy model and make you miss a parry shot. on my Bloodtinge 50 character, my evelyn +10 does about 350-450 damage a shot, unbuffed.

I reckon we're halfway through judging by my route.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 23:21 on May 13, 2017

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Letter #6: Forsaken Castle Cainhurst and The Unseen

quote:

Before I went to Cainhurst I was assaulted and knocked out by a large sack-carrying man. I woke up in a jail cell, and I could hear chanting in the distance, seemingly close and far away all at once. A note on the ground said a ritual was being done, to beckon the moon closer. I found a woman of the church cowering in a corner, who wouldn't speak with me until I presented my own church garb to soothe her nerves. She took my advice to head to Oedon Chapel, where I’m sure she’ll be safe with the others I’ve sent there.

I encountered a large electrified beast while I was exploring the area, and after defeating it, found myself back in Old Yharnam. I decided to pay the man protecting Old Yharnam a visit, and he was amiable enough with me. He said something curious, that he no longer dreams. It should not surprise me that I’d encounter other hunters who were trapped in this Hunter’s dream, ever returning to waking world upon every fatal accident or injury. Stranger things have happened so far.

Cainhurst was a loss. I should've known when my arrival was immediately met with grim death of the carriage that apparently carried me there. The entire place was coated in a fine layer of snow, almost ashen in appearance, like down in the Charnel Lane. The stench of blood filled the place, vile and somewhat curdled… Old blood.

The entire castle was empty. At least, at first glance. The sobs of women filled the halls, but seemed to come from no where in particular. Soon I was attacked by what I can only describe as ghosts, ghasts, wights, something ephemeral and yet, strong enough to spill my own blood. Despite their translucent nature, my weapons seemed to hold their own as well, and the ghosts were vanquished with some difficulty. This hammer I picked up in the dream seems especially useful against the creatures, for what reason I do not know.

Upper in the ramparts, gargoyles attacked me. Their lithe bodies latching onto me and draining me of blood. Everything here seems thirsty for it, in ways that are almost ritualistic and less frenzied than the beasts down in the ward and Yharnam proper.

At the highest rampart I found a wooden throne, a skeleton seated in it. Considering the ghosts I encountered on the way up, I shouldn't have been surprised when the hands of the king shook, as if they were breaking free of rigor mortis, and grasped at a staff and a scythe. Is this Logarius, whom Albert told me of?

With extreme difficulty, and many trips to the Hunter's dream, I was able to defeat the king of Cainhurst and claim his crown for myself. Feeling prideful, I placed it on my head and an illusion faded away: the end of the rooftop wasn't an end at all, but a passage way to another part of the castle: hidden from prying eyes.

Inside I found the true ruler of the Castle Cainhurst, this forsaken place led by a Forsaken Queen. She called me a moon-scented Hunter and offered her blood to me. I imbibed, at risk of incurring her wrath and that of her ghostly subjects if I did not. Besides, I can't see how it could hurt me at this point, and I need all the help I can get.

Cainhurst was a dead end, the queen had no answers for me. Byrgenwerth is my next goal.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

So now that you've got there it's interesting you didn't go back at the start and check in on Iosefka, as that makes what's happening in her Clinic even weirder when you get to this point.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Yeah I forgot to talk to her before the imposter takes over. I always forget cause the trigger is oedon chapels gate, and gascoigne can be killed with 4 minutes of starting a new game :doh:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Oh if we're not spoilering that I'll come out and say what I was gonna say. There are a bunch of clues that the Doctor after you enter Odeon Chapel for the first time is not the Iosefka who owns the clinic and talks to you early on. The original Iosefka refuses to take patients/people in during the night of the hunt, whilst the imposter asks you to bring as many as possible to her door. If you go back to Iosefka enough and keep taking her blood and using it she starts flirting with you and being very familiar, but the Imposter doesn't continue to do so and in fact seems surprised that you would come to her. The voices are also subtly different, and they use different speech patterns. I'm also assuming that much like you the Imposter came up from the Forest, and considering where she's from it makes sense that she had the Giants protecting her, meanwhile the other enemy down in that swamp shows up a whole lot in Castle Cainhurst for what it's worth.

Onto the Letter from Cainhurst, whilst many people like to assume that's why the character came to Yharnam in the first place I have a different thought, which is that Cainhurst clearly has Gargoyles and based on the fact that you can take a letter to Alfred it seems that it's just a particularly clever postal service, not that you brought the letter with you. Why it cannot be found at the start but can later is another mystery, but seeing as you have to kill the Vicar of the Healing Church to even access Iosefka's clinic from the back maybe Annalise keeps track of people who cause strife within the Church, they are sworn enemies by this point after all.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
>>Video #11: The Shadows of Yharnam, Byrgenwerth and The Vacuous Spider<<

I was gonna just have a shadows of yharnam fight but ended up pushing through and killing Rom too. This is where poo poo goes sideways in a big way for the entire game. The truth is revealed, whatever that means.

Boss fights at 12:29 and 21:50

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 15, 2017

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Lord_Magmar posted:

Oh if we're not spoilering that I'll come out and say what I was gonna say. There are a bunch of clues that the Doctor after you enter Odeon Chapel for the first time is not the Iosefka who owns the clinic and talks to you early on. The original Iosefka refuses to take patients/people in during the night of the hunt, whilst the imposter asks you to bring as many as possible to her door. If you go back to Iosefka enough and keep taking her blood and using it she starts flirting with you and being very familiar, but the Imposter doesn't continue to do so and in fact seems surprised that you would come to her. The voices are also subtly different, and they use different speech patterns. I'm also assuming that much like you the Imposter came up from the Forest, and considering where she's from it makes sense that she had the Giants protecting her, meanwhile the other enemy down in that swamp shows up a whole lot in Castle Cainhurst for what it's worth.

Onto the Letter from Cainhurst, whilst many people like to assume that's why the character came to Yharnam in the first place I have a different thought, which is that Cainhurst clearly has Gargoyles and based on the fact that you can take a letter to Alfred it seems that it's just a particularly clever postal service, not that you brought the letter with you. Why it cannot be found at the start but can later is another mystery, but seeing as you have to kill the Vicar of the Healing Church to even access Iosefka's clinic from the back maybe Annalise keeps track of people who cause strife within the Church, they are sworn enemies by this point after all.

Oh yes, they talk differently and are even voiced by different actors! I didn't know she gets kinda flirty with you if you keep coming back, that's a neat detail I'll have to look into following up with. I'll try to make a bigger "missed things" video near the end. I intend to do a "best of" for the chalices too, since doing them in a straight video might be kind of a slog but seeing boss fights and unique areas/layouts might be something fun.

I believe the appearance of the summons is something tricky that can be chalked up to 'dream memory' or the like. In reality, I don't think it was left there by accident or anything, since you can't retrieve it when you're first leaving the clinic in either case. For our character though, I wanted some kind of justification why they'd go off to Cainhurst when they were so close to reaching Byrgenwerth which has been their "goal" since talking with Gilbert and Albert early in the game. I think a lot of people leave it for a kinda lull later on in the game, somewhere after the next couple areas. I'd never considered the summons was PRE yharnam though, which I think is an interesting thought/idea. The thought that the gargoyles kinda act as messengers (like the demons in dark souls that ferry you about) is a fun thought too.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Yeah, people generally leave Cainhurst for later because like most of the optional areas in this game it's much more difficult than the area you gain access to it. Considering the Nightmare Frontier and Castle Cainhurst are both unlocked when you get to the Forbidden Woods, and Hypogean Gaol is available after beating the Blood-Starved Beast. In fact I'd say the only equally difficult side/optional zone is Hemwick Charnel Lane itself, seeing as it's about as difficult as Cathedral Ward if you go there before you move time forward to night, and then the new mechanic that Night-time adds makes it about as difficult as the Forbidden Woods.

I'm honestly really sad there's no way to ever save certain characters in this game, it's appropriate and everything but I really wish you could escort Gascoigne's daughter to safety and save Iosefka somehow.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
>>Video #12: The Nightmare Frontier and Amygdala<<

I died an embarrassing amount of times in the Frontier from falling off the cliffs the wrong way and even down the shortcut elevator. I think I died 4 times. For SHAME.

Amygdala is a tricky boss. She has really great range capability and her third phase extends this EVEN more. A safe strategy for beating her in the third phase is to linger near her legs and whack on them. They take incredibly reduced damage, even if they are crippled. This takes forever, and makes for a really boring video. I tried to instead attack her arms or head during this phase to make the video somewhat more interesting.

I've always had really good luck with standing still when she leaps and surviving the hits. Pumping my health helped too, since it usually will one shot you. At least, from what I remember in the defiled chalices when you have to fight her with 50% of your max health. You get good at those bosses, you must.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 21:40 on May 15, 2017

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
>>Video #13: The Red Moon Rises over Yharnam<<

Just like when the Night came, we check on the Yharnamites locked in their houses to see if anything has changed. Things have taken a chilling turn.

The red moon hangs low over the world, the clouds pass behind it. Something is amiss. The giant Amygdala's towering over the buildings in Cathedral Ward are visible, and we can see it all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fg_cwI1Xj4M

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Letter #7: The Red Moon

quote:

… What is the purpose of the Hunt? To cleanse the streets of beasts? Or is it something… grander? Something more… something more…?

A note I found at Byrgenwerth said:
“When the red moon hangs low, the line between man and beast is blurred. And when the Great Ones descend, a womb will be blessed with a child.”

At the time, I had no idea what it was talking about, but since leaving Byrgenwerth… I think I’m closer.

Of course, to say I know would be… folly. Insanity. Clearly chaos is what reigns over Yharnam, nothing connected to logic or reason, something mad, something feverish, something in the blood—Something in the blood. I’m… so thirsty all the time now.

I can only imagine my constant intake of the beast blood, showering in it, bathing in the juices and visceral entrails of the countless, countless Yharnamites, beastmen, transformed monsters and chaos itself has… has…

I keep looking. I thought Byrgenwerth would reveal answers to me, but I descended into this sick, disgusting… the blood shines with an opulence, a moonlike dream, a pale silky glow. It shimmers in the light, uncanny. It vibrates, it’s hot to the touch. Warmer than it should be. Something else has…

I found Willhem at his rocking chair, he spoke nothing to me. He said nothing. Are words even worth the energy anymore? The guard at the door was “already dead.”

I fell into the lake, and found myself on a white plateau, a salt flat. Nothing lives down here. Under the waves, the crushing oppression of it all. A sickly creature, not a beast, was living down there. It shivered at my… it twitched incessantly. I killed it. I killed it. Do I even know how to not kill anymore?

Killing.. it makes sense. These Yharnamites aren’t free of the scourge that plagued old Yharnam, they’re practically living in it! They created it! To not see that they are to blame for this? For all of this? For Old Yharnam burning to the ground? did they even mourn it? No.. they just built new buildings atop the burning rubble, the ashen smoke still filling their lungs as they toiled away to replace it with New Yharnam. Blood flows though the cobblestones, filing every crack, every orifice, every gaping mouth that thirsts for it— slaves for it. Demands it. Hungers. Beasts all over the place. All over the shops. The beasts were there all along, the moon just reveals them for their true form.

Huge beasts, Amygdala’s, clasp themselves to the buildings. My death in the Ward. It was always here. I just couldn’t see it! I just couldn’t see it! What else hangs in the air above our heads, waiting, watching, judging? Silently or not: it’s been cast over us like a spell. All of us are afflicted. All of us must pay for it.

The moon is orange, red, a harvest moon. A killing moon. The moon… It hangs dangerously low to the earth, the clouds pass behind it. It doesn’t make sense. Nothing makes sense.
I doubt it ever did. Anyone I kill, if don’t return to their bodies like I am cursed with, hopefully they won’t. It would be a mercy even I can’t experience.

A release of death… I don’t even know what that’d feel like.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
>>Video #14: The Unseen Village and The One Reborn<<

Stupid One Reborn, killing me like 3 times cause of my carelessness. The vomit attack I avoid in the actual video by just deciding "ohh I should probably take off" after dealing what I considered was "enough damage".

It's fun using the kirkhammer. I never utilized it on any other run before and it has such a great heft to it. Even the short sword animations have a really meaty feel to them that you only get from, maybe great swords in dark souls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
>>Video #15: Nightmare of Mensis and Micolash<<

My God the first hunter in this clip, Edward, killed me 4 or 5 times. Humiliating. I got a lucky run on Micolash, since I didn't land next to him at the end of the fight and let him cast his Call Beyond which almost always inevitably kills me on at least one run against him.

We also get a blood rock and drop a huge brain monster into an abyss, and upgrade our saw spear to +10. We're gonna need it, because next is either Chalice Dungeons or DLC. I might do chalice best-of first since it'll help shore up some of my levels (I'm only level 49 right now I think) and get me some better gems which will be a boon for tackling the DLC.

• Locked thread