Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

:siren:NO SPOILERS, CAHSIN!:siren:

Grand Theft Auto. The fourth one. The ol' Gee Tee Ay. I should think this game needs no introduction. But just in case, let's cover our bases.

The year was 2008, and the "next-gen" Playstation 3 and XBOX 360 were still shiny and new. And while it may have been greatly anticipated for some, in my case GTA4 just sort of came along. It was...different. Rockstar decided to embrace realism a bit more than before in both the writing and the driving, and...well, it's a mixed bag. I don't actively disdain the game. Hell, I respect it despite its flaws - BUT HOO BOY ARE THERE FLAWS! Joining me are fellow goons The Heavenator and GamesAreSupernice, and if you expect us to talk about how heavenly and super-nice this game is, you, uh, might wanna leave.

One major complaint about GTA4 is that it's, well, boring. While I'm not sure if I agree, I've taken it upon myself to make it a bit more interesting. I'll be playing the PC version. See, Rockstar didn't encrypt their physics variables, which means any schmuck with a text editor (like me!) can just crack it open and gently caress everything right up. I'm going to be making arbitrary, random changes to these variables between missions, and we're all just gonna sit down and see what the gently caress happens.

Also, I know this game is nine years old, but NO SPOILERS. All three of us are going into this thing semi-blind, so...just don't spoil poo poo, okay? This includes story and gameplay elements. Thanks.

VIDEOS

Part 1: Roundabout
Part 2: A Flawed Thesis

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 2, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

As someone who finished an LP of this game a few months ago, I'd just like to tell you guys good luck. At least you've got your game-breaking shenanigans to have fun with.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Doc Morbid posted:

As someone who finished an LP of this game a few months ago, I'd just like to tell you guys good luck. At least you've got your game-breaking shenanigans to have fun with.

If anything, that's why we NEED the luck.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

awww yeeeaaah I remember the HYPE TRAIN about this game, and I'm kinda just now realizing that all that HYPE is a decade old now

I really really enjoyed this game for the emergent AI stuff, not so much the story which never manages what San Andreas (pbui) did

looking forward to seeing more of y'all stumbling through grand theft auto's Star Trek: Enterprise

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Peanut Butler posted:

awww yeeeaaah I remember the HYPE TRAIN about this game, and I'm kinda just now realizing that all that HYPE is a decade old now

I really really enjoyed this game for the emergent AI stuff, not so much the story which never manages what San Andreas (pbui) did

looking forward to seeing more of y'all stumbling through grand theft auto's Star Trek: Enterprise

It's been a long road - gettin' from here to V

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 4, 2017

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I remember in 2008, I was about a month short of 16 when this came out. I ended up getting a severe case of chicken pox and missed like 2 weeks of school, during which time my mom had pre-ordered the game for me. In some ways I still associate this game with chicken pox, for helping me get through those painful days.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

I remember in 2008, I was about a month short of 16 when this came out. I ended up getting a severe case of chicken pox and missed like 2 weeks of school, during which time my mom had pre-ordered the game for me. In some ways I still associate this game with chicken pox, for helping me get through those painful days.

I'm glad your disease was able to distract you from some of Rockstar's bad gameplay decisions.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I was with no console when this came so it was PC version right on release, still got the physical copy around for the day I build something that can handle it on full settings. This game gave me a great December of 2008, a great 2009, a great 2010, 2011, 2012, took until 2013 for me to stop having fun and goofing off and making videos and actually go finish it. GTA5 has its qualities but GTA4 has my heart. Swingset.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Ahhh yes. GTA 4. That loving bank robbery mission gave me hell the first time I played this.

I look forward to the roads-covered-in-gravy car physics.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

As much as I'm for giving this game poo poo for consisting almost entirely of padding and for its overly tight mission scripting, I am never going to understand the complaints about the car handling unless they're from people who drove using the keyboard. The cars stay on the road absolutely fine and the few times I spun off during the LP without someone ramming me off were entirely my own stupid fault.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 7, 2017

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Doc Morbid posted:

As much as I'm for giving this game poo poo for consisting almost entirely of padding and for its overly tight mission scripting, I am never going to understand the complaints about the car handling unless they're from people who drove using the keyboard. The cars stay on the road absolutely fine and the few times I spun off during the LP without someone ramming me off were entirely my own stupid fault.

I'd like to play the game to offer more insight but I only own Lost and Damned/Ballad of Gay Tony, which I haven't played much of.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Doc Morbid posted:

It functions from what I recall, it just doesn't feel nice.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
So what happens with negative numbers?

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Doc Morbid posted:

I did it with keyboard and it was fine all around for me, used to take part in races with large lumpy vehicles we'll see later in the game because it was fun, and I'd win. Rather race GTA4 with keyboard than DriveClub with joypad.

Whatever you do for changing values in data files Mr Wizard, do not toy with the fire hydrants located in common/data/effects/explosionFX.dat
Definitely do not change theirs value to look like this:
code:
DIR_WATER_HYDRANT 0.0 0.0 2.0 1.0 6.0 500.0 -0.12 5000000000000.0 0.005 0.5 12.0 water_hydrant_top water_hydrant_top 1.0 0 0 0.0 0.0 0.0 EXPLOSION 1 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 3

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 12:22 on May 7, 2017

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Doc Morbid posted:

My main issue with the driving was that it just felt really slow. You'd be going way too fast and feel like you were barely moving.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
This was my first GTA game.

Needless to say I stuck to Saint's Row after this.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tiggum posted:

My main issue with the driving was that it just felt really slow. You'd be going way too fast and feel like you were barely moving.

The cars actually felt a lot faster than in prior games, partly because they were faster. As an experiment I did a test with GTA IV and San Andreas to see how long it took to cross from one corner of the map to the other by car and by aircraft. San Andreas took only slightly longer, and that was mainly because very few of the vehicles traveled at a realistic maximum speed for what they were. Most of the reason San Andreas feels so huge is that they make good use of fog and physical barriers like mountains and cliffs; if you use a mod to turn off the fog, you can see from one side of the map to the other in an aircraft.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Why exactly do people love San Andreas so much?

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

White Coke posted:

Why exactly do people love San Andreas so much?

It has the best design and most polish of the PS2-era GTA titles.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

It was sort of the culmination of the work Vice City built toward. It had an ENTIRE STATE WITH THREE CITIES (still barely bigger than GTA IV's Liberty City) and a long, varied storyline that covered pretty much everything a GTA game could possibly cover: black and Latino street gangs, backwoods redneck crooks, Asian gangs like the Triads, government conspiracies, and Italian mobsters. It had a huge closet of purchasable clothes, variable haircuts and even body types, car customization, and a ton of minigames.

It was sort of a kitchen sink of everything the GTA series could handle, but it did it all in a surprisingly fluid package where the transition from drive-bys and riding bicycles through the hood to stealing a Harrier off an aircraft carrier was barely noticed until you stopped and thought about how nuts the game had gotten.

Unfortunately the gameplay itself was still primitive. GTA took until the latest game for even basic gameplay features (like autosave and decent gunplay) to match its more specialized competitors.

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
And alongside all that, San Andreas has built up a very loyal fandom- that game was still getting noteworthy mods well into GTA 4 and even 5's release. Just like a lot of, say, Nintendo's notable games from the mid 90s, San Andreas's fanbase are quite loyal to the game and love to speak about its virtues.

Alongside that, the sheer variety of things to do in SA that 4 had to cut out or remove made it stand out as a much more diverse game.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GTA IV really feels like a sort of prototype for Rockstar's first steps into the 7th generation. It's on a new engine with a new procedural animation system (Euphoria) that is virtually exclusive to Rockstar, and the scale is shrunk back down to a single city that's simply made about as big as the old state. Most of the minigames and the car customization (beyond Pay 'n' Spray) are removed, the amount of clothing for customization is reduced and all other forms of customizing Niko are removed, and weapons are pared down to two for each category with the second just being a straight upgrade.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Good to see Lizard Wizard brand productions are still just as high quality as ever. :v:

Also LizWiz wants me to explain Gexby for some reason, sooo... For those not in the know, Chip and Ironicus got Voidburger and Snugglebeast to join them in a 24-hour Gextra Life stream for, y'know, Extra Life. This spawned a whole bunch of great fanart, in-jokes and the conclusion that as a pair of no-longer-relevant platforming mascots, Gex and Bubsy would be a gay couple.

This spawned at least two m-preg pictures.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Before I forget, I am totally justified in wanting a bunch of McDonalds hamburgers. I know you have patty-shaped spice dispensers that you use on every burger. It's the spice, man. I need the spice.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I know you have patty-shaped spice dispensers that you use on every burger. It's the spice, man. I need the spice.

No Man's Sky LP confirmed.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Yapping Eevee posted:

This spawned at least two m-preg pictures.

Such restraint. Who was pregnant?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

White Coke posted:

Such restraint. Who was pregnant?

Gex.

The Heavenator
Feb 28, 2011

BangBangBang! Commando of the Galaxy
Gexby is the best ship because they are both trash so they are perfect for each other.

Also they adopted failed mascot platformer Aero the Acrobat

Honestly I think Gexby are actually a cute paring and I'm not entirely sure why.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

To be fair, the original Bubsy would be a good game if not for the fall damage.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I have strong negative feelings toward Bubsy for not giving me any reaction time to work with and forcing me to memorize everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I have strong negative feelings toward Bubsy for not giving me any reaction time to work with and forcing me to memorize everything.

Oh yeah, not dying in one hit was what that game needed. Not sure why I confused that with fall damage.

Scaly Haylie fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 4, 2017

• Locked thread