Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Time to flex my EU muscles - I read all of the ones printed before the Prequels came out like a billion times. Thyferra is the main focal point of the fourth X-Wing novel, which centers around the Rogue Squadron's exploits I think 4 years after the battle of Endor. It's an important planet because it's the source for Bacta - it's a jungle planet (you can't see much of that in N64 graphics), and there's a plant that only grows there used to manufacture Bacta. This monopoly makes the planet incredibly important and they got filthy rich by selling to both sides of the war, in the novel, the main fraction of the struggling empire the Rogues deal with tries to sneakily take over and thus cut off Bacta supply to the New Republic (what the Rebels become).

Also, when I was still in my super Star Wars sperg phase, I really hated the last mission. You suddenly have this 6+ year time skip (the missions before take place BEFORE Endor, right?), and you fly a ship that's nowhere in the movies OR novels, fighting enemies (Defenders and World Devastators) that I'd never heard before, and the text crawl was super annoying too - why did I never read about this? Turns out, and this bugged me for years, all of that stuff is the Resurrected Emperor (or somesuch) storyline from the comics, and I don't read comics. Considering that the EU spans every single time period after, before and during the movies up to 28 years after Episode 6 (as far as I read) and nobody in the books ever goes beyond a casual "remember that resurrected emperor business, that sure was crazy huh?", this drove me crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Simply Simon posted:

Also, when I was still in my super Star Wars sperg phase, I really hated the last mission. You suddenly have this 6+ year time skip (the missions before take place BEFORE Endor, right?), and you fly a ship that's nowhere in the movies OR novels, fighting enemies (Defenders and World Devastators) that I'd never heard before, and the text crawl was super annoying too - why did I never read about this? Turns out, and this bugged me for years, all of that stuff is the Resurrected Emperor (or somesuch) storyline from the comics, and I don't read comics. Considering that the EU spans every single time period after, before and during the movies up to 28 years after Episode 6 (as far as I read) and nobody in the books ever goes beyond a casual "remember that resurrected emperor business, that sure was crazy huh?", this drove me crazy.

Yeah, I had managed to buy a copy of the comics that had the World Devastators in them. I don't believe I had the volume with the V-Wings in them, as I only remember the E-Wings. Still, I always thought it was neat for them to include EU ships to change things up from the usual X-Wing/A-Wing stuff.

And there's plenty of EU stuff that never really gets mentioned elsewhere. Or, better yet, you've got the "Alternate Timeline" comics or the duo of Tag and Bink.

That said, no B-Wing in this game? The hell!?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

That said, no B-Wing in this game? The hell!?

B-Wing's mechanics were probably a bit on the complex side, with the folding up and all.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah, I had managed to buy a copy of the comics that had the World Devastators in them. I don't believe I had the volume with the V-Wings in them, as I only remember the E-Wings. Still, I always thought it was neat for them to include EU ships to change things up from the usual X-Wing/A-Wing stuff.
Did they even have V-Wings in Dark Empire? I had the whole series and only remember seeing the E-Wings, but maybe I just wasn't paying that much attention.

Speaking of not paying attention, I also recall at least one reviewer being confused by the presence of the World Devastators in the game because he didn't realize there's a time skip between these levels. :downs:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think there's also been at least three completely different EU craft labeled v-wings because it's a designation and ship that's never appeared in the movies - the Battlefront 2 LP has a Clone Wars era Republic bomber dubbed the v-wing.

See also, the droid TIEs in the final mission are called TIE/Ds, not Defenders. Defenders look like mutant Interceptors with three wings facing outward and pack shields and much heavier weapons than the basic TIEs.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Doc Morbid posted:

Did they even have V-Wings in Dark Empire? I had the whole series and only remember seeing the E-Wings, but maybe I just wasn't paying that much attention.

Speaking of not paying attention, I also recall at least one reviewer being confused by the presence of the World Devastators in the game because he didn't realize there's a time skip between these levels. :downs:

YOU TOO?!

I could've sworn I never saw a single V-Wing in Dark Empire, but Star Wars Wikia tells me otherwise, and I don't have access to my copies to verify.

Cythereal posted:

I think there's also been at least three completely different EU craft labeled v-wings because it's a designation and ship that's never appeared in the movies - the Battlefront 2 LP has a Clone Wars era Republic bomber dubbed the v-wing.

See also, the droid TIEs in the final mission are called TIE/Ds, not Defenders. Defenders look like mutant Interceptors with three wings facing outward and pack shields and much heavier weapons than the basic TIEs.

Tie Defenders will always have a place in my heart thanks to Star Wars: Rebellion. And yeah, the wiki has a list of a few ships named after the V-Wing. The "Official" V-Wing is ugly as sin.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Doc Morbid posted:

It really is rather odd, considering the penultimate mission definitely has a Climax feel to it, and the whole celebration ending cutscene featuring the X-Wings. The Calamari mission feels like it was originally meant to be a post-game mission, or a "pilot episode" mission to try and sell people on a possible sequel featuring Dark Empire/Other Post-Endor Content.

Which, honestly, I think I would have preferred to just retreading standard OT stuff. As it is, the last mission, for all the unique assets and such, just feels out of place and jarring.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

The Mon Calamari mission is really weird, yeah. It's not even all that hard considering you have the V-Wing. Though it has one benefit: if you go back one mission in the future ship, you can completely obliterate Seerdon with one full volley of seeking cluster missiles :v:.

Also, when I played this on a buddy's N64, he had everything unlocked and we used to input cheats. I was convinced that you had to be some sort of gaming God to even beat Sullust because I would die within seconds a seemingly infinite amount of times (...with the infinte lives cheat...) every time I started playing the level. I probably just sucked real bad considering that I never had to get good, what with the cheats and such, but drat I still don't really know how you're even supposed to avoid all those missiles. Fly very close to the ground I guess and only dip up very occasionally to let loose a single well-placed bomb, don't miss!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Simply Simon posted:

The Mon Calamari mission is really weird, yeah. It's not even all that hard considering you have the V-Wing. Though it has one benefit: if you go back one mission in the future ship, you can completely obliterate Seerdon with one full volley of seeking cluster missiles :v:.

Also, when I played this on a buddy's N64, he had everything unlocked and we used to input cheats. I was convinced that you had to be some sort of gaming God to even beat Sullust because I would die within seconds a seemingly infinite amount of times (...with the infinte lives cheat...) every time I started playing the level. I probably just sucked real bad considering that I never had to get good, what with the cheats and such, but drat I still don't really know how you're even supposed to avoid all those missiles. Fly very close to the ground I guess and only dip up very occasionally to let loose a single well-placed bomb, don't miss!

Always be boostin'! If you aren't flying as fast as possible you just won't make it. Even then, as a kid, I can totally see how getting the gold might be near impossible.

And now I'm hyped for the last video, with a great easter egg that people didn't discover for a while.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Always be boostin'! If you aren't flying as fast as possible you just won't make it.
Well, this explains my absurd amount of trouble then because my go-to tactic for stationary targets always was "stomp on the brakes as hard as you can, fly at them in a straight line and hammer the shoot button". I used to be pretty good at judging the distance from each enemy you had to have at minimum before you could engage this tactic. It's rather short for laser turrets, rather long for AT-STs. And might get cut short rather abruptly for missile turrets.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Cythereal posted:

The confusion is probably stemming from them both using the TIE/D designation. It almost certainly stands for Droid in the case of these, and I'd guess the overlap is very likely due to writers not paying attention. Dark Empire was apparently '91-'92, so it could just be an issue of whoever came up with the TIE Defender (or its official specs, at least), not being particularly familiar with the comics. Assuming it wasn't created before that, at least - I can't recall what the first appearance of it was.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
As for the World Devastators themselves, they're one of the EU's earlier superweapons. Those tractor beams on the back are their primary weapon - they descend on planets or starships and tear apart the surface/ship to feed the gathered materials into the Devastator's on-board refinery and factories which then churn out droid TIEs and other automated combat vehicles that engage straight off the production line. Given time and resources, Devastators could and would manufacture more Devastators.

In the comics, the Devastators were stopped by a long and complicated series of events that lead to a mole in the Empire's upper leadership shutting most of them down, then Republic slicers deploying a virus that shut down the rest. The Republic captured at least one and used it to clean up debris left by space battles until public outcry lead the Republic to scrap it.

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Cythereal posted:

As for the World Devastators themselves, they're one of the EU's earlier superweapons. Those tractor beams on the back are their primary weapon - they descend on planets or starships and tear apart the surface/ship to feed the gathered materials into the Devastator's on-board refinery and factories which then churn out droid TIEs and other automated combat vehicles that engage straight off the production line. Given time and resources, Devastators could and would manufacture more Devastators.

In the comics, the Devastators were stopped by a long and complicated series of events that lead to a mole in the Empire's upper leadership shutting most of them down, then Republic slicers deploying a virus that shut down the rest. The Republic captured at least one and used it to clean up debris left by space battles until public outcry lead the Republic to scrap it.

Technically the World Devastators fought in that mission are babby World Devastators, given V-Wings were capable of taking them out. Having read up a bit on them, the actual World Devastators were basically completely impervious to anything people could throw at them, so the only way they got stopped was the previously mentioned long and complicated series of events that led to them being turned off.

Pretty nasty superweapon though, when you think about it, even if it also kind of falls into that, "Stupidly overpowered" category given the method used to defeat it.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Simply Simon posted:

nobody in the books ever goes beyond a casual "remember that resurrected emperor business, that sure was crazy huh?", this drove me crazy.

The best part is that most of the people who ever think about it doubt that it really was Palpatine, and assume it was just an imposter.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Bonus 02: CHICKEN

Bonus Episode 02: CHICKEN

Bonus Episode 02: CHICKEN - Sans Commentary

Jobbo_Fett fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 13, 2017

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I can barely hear you guys in the video.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cythereal posted:

I can barely hear you guys in the video.

Huh, thought I had changed that, gonna re-edit it.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The commentary version is listed as unavailable.

Edit:
Oh that's why.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Cooked Auto posted:

The commentary version is listed as unavailable.

Edit:
Oh that's why.

Will try to have it re-upped in about 30 mins, sorry about that :(

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Episode Re-upped, should be ok now

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!
Huh, I could swear that I've used the Naboo fighter in the Trench Run mission.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

X_countryguy posted:

Just tested it, doesn't work on PC

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

X_countryguy posted:

You absolutely can on the N64 and it makes it much, much easier to pull off a gold medal with.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Broken Box posted:

You absolutely can on the N64 and it makes it much, much easier to pull off a gold medal with.

The trench run is the mission I just couldn't get a gold on as a kid.

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Cythereal posted:

The trench run is the mission I just couldn't get a gold on as a kid.

I couldn't with the X-wing, and not for lack of trying. The day the Naboo Starfighter code was released I managed it the first attempt, and I've look fondly upon that easter egg ever since.

X_countryguy
Dec 31, 2007

Whatscha holdup, Tron? If you don't hurry up there's not gonna be any pizza left!

Broken Box posted:

That would explain it. I only ever had the N64 version.

As far as playing around with ships was concerned I think the worst combination of ship/level that I succeeded with was the Falcon on Sullust. Those missiles tear you apart but I managed to duck and weave to complete the level on my last life once.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
The Blues Brothers car was pretty good iirc. Pretty sure it had the cluster missiles, too!

krisslanza
May 6, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The Blues Brothers car was pretty good iirc. Pretty sure it had the cluster missiles, too!

It totally does, because I remember rocking it all the time, because its hilarious.
That and Homing Cluster Missiles are the most broken drat special weapon in the game.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I'm not seeing the video with commentary.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Samovar posted:

I'm not seeing the video with commentary.

Odd, its the right links and I just tested it to see if it works :shrug:

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

krisslanza posted:

It totally does, because I remember rocking it all the time, because its hilarious.
That and Homing Cluster Missiles are the most broken drat special weapon in the game.

"We got a malfunctioning hyperdrive, it's a hundred parsecs to Coruscant, it's Life Day and we're wearing sunglasses."

"Punch it."

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
"We're on a mission from the force"

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Why do I remember this game being longer. Must be getting it mixed up with all the other Star Wars flight games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Aces High posted:

Why do I remember this game being longer. Must be getting it mixed up with all the other Star Wars flight games

Possibly with its sequels even!

• Locked thread