Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
alnilam

Plebian Parasite posted:

call me daedalus

hi daedalus, I'm dad

(nnote, rework joke to better reflect fact that daedalus is a famous dad)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic

king of athens: theseus, I think you should kill the minotaur

:byob1: nah

king of athens: i heard he lives in a maze

Manifisto

FutonForensic posted:

Petr
code:
| |_|   | _______ |______ |   | ____|
| ___ | |____ | |______ | |_| |____ |
|___|_|____ | |   ___ | |________ | |
|   ________| | |__ | |______ | | | |
| | | ________| | __|____ | | | __| |
|_| |__ |   | __|__ | ____| | |_| __|
|   ____| | |____ | |__ |   |__ |__ |
| |_______|_______|___|___|___|_____|

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

posting smiling posted:

in the mean time here's one that's just fun to see

posting smiling posted:

haha

that's a cool idea. it turned out to be easy enough to fit it to a circle. here's one with colors, to show how the branching is working now. it isn't just spiraling around the outside like it used to. and one without color to make it harder to solve.

infinimaze would be neat too. i'll keep it in mind.

these mazes look animated with the very slow rotation of BYOB and its FREAKIN ME OUT

joke_explainer

phew that was a really tough one definitely did not just search all left turns

posting smiling

FutonForensic posted:

lol

posting smiling

joke_explainer posted:

phew that was a really tough one definitely did not just search all left turns

i was hoping you would solve one. looks like an efficient solution to me.

posting smiling
i also just finished added pathfinding using depth first search

joke_explainer

Good work. I was considering doing something like that but I was very lazy. These are awesome, PS! Pretty soon, BYOB will also be known for its great mazes.

joke_explainer

Also, the 1 pixel wide lines and the turning make an amazing matrix-like effect as the lines seem to animate and change.

LP0 ON FIRE

beep boop
when i was a kid, i used to make make these mazes in painbrush for win 3.1. i'd zoom in all the way and draw every pixel. it was these amazing tiny pixel mazes. i'd just spend hours, completely meditated and enlightened. i don't get this way much anymore, but i try

posting smiling

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

when i was a kid, i used to make make these mazes in painbrush for win 3.1. i'd zoom in all the way and draw every pixel. it was these amazing tiny pixel mazes. i'd just spend hours, completely meditated and enlightened. i don't get this way much anymore, but i try

being a computer programmer means you can get infinite mazes and other amusements for free. you also get to stay up late at night and eat hacker food instead of vegetables.

deep dish peat moss

LP0 ON FIRE posted:

I used to do this but instead of making mazes I edited sprites from megaman games

vanisher

These are some real cool mazes

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fredrik1

Gopherslayer
:rock:

yes

little munchkin

FutonForensic posted:

----------------

alnilam

posting smiling posted:

i also just finished added pathfinding using depth first search

can u post the pathfinding code I'm intrigued

Manifisto

yep this is cool stuff

I imagine you are not really looking for other pointless features to add to your code, but in case you are, I suspect you could do some kind of cool stuff with the stereogram concept

. . . like if you could add 3-dness to the maze while keeping it a valid maze. but that may be more trouble than it's worth? and who gives a crap about stereograms these days anyway?

ty nesamdoom!

i am he

cda posted:

Check out this maze I made, it's called college and it's total bullshit

i am he

posting smiling posted:

being a computer programmer means you can get infinite mazes and other amusements for free. you also get to stay up late at night and eat hacker food instead of vegetables.

lol.

also this thread is really good. classicist is consistently great and makes such a cool variety of things that truly interest me and/or make me smile.

FluffieDuckie

i am he posted:

classicist is consistently great and makes such a cool variety of things that truly interest me and/or make me smile.

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
Care to solve MY maze??? This is no child's game here. One false move and your maze-solving career may be suddenly cut short.

Putty fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 5, 2017

alnilam

Putty posted:

Care to solve MY maze??? This is no child's game here. One false move and your maze-solving career may be suddenly cut short.

Whoever fails that maze will never be head of a major corporation

posting smiling

i am he posted:

lol.

also this thread is really good. classicist is consistently great and makes such a cool variety of things that truly interest me and/or make me smile.

aww, thanks.

alnilam posted:

can u post the pathfinding code I'm intrigued

sure. the important thing about the code is that the maze is stored as a grid of numbers. each cell of the grid stores the number of steps it took the generator to get there. so if the difference between two adjacent cells is exactly 1, then it's legal to step there, and if it's anything else, it implies that there's a wall between the cells.

the algorithm is called depth first search because it just chooses a path and goes as far as it can and only backs up if it hits a dead end. it does not guarantee that it finds the shortest path, so a lot of the solutions go off on unnecessary loops.

JavaScript code:
    var solveMaze = function(maze, size, start, end)
    {
        var pos = start; // our current position
        var step = new Point(1, 0); // the direction we're facing
        var solution = []; // the path we've taken to get where we are
        var stepStack = []; // the direction we were facing when we were at the corresponding spot on the solution path

var visited = []; // the points we've already been to
        for (var row of maze)
        {
            visited.push(new Array(row.length).fill(false));
        }
        visited[start.y][start.x] = true;

while (!pos.equals(end)) // go until we reach the end
        {
            var next = pos.add(step); // start by taking a step

if (size.contains(next) // is this step inside the maze?
                && Math.abs(maze[pos.y][pos.x] - maze[next.y][next.x]) == 1 // is there a wall between here and there?
                && !visited[next.y][next.x]) // have we been there already?
            {
                solution.push(pos); // we stepped here, so add it to our path
                stepStack.push(step); // and remember where we were facing

pos = next; // now we're here
                step = new Point(1, 0); // and we reset our direction again
                visited[pos.y][pos.x] = true; // and mark this spot as visited
                continue; // go to the "take a step"
            }
            else if (step.equals(new Point(0, 1))) // if we're facing up, and we can't take a step, then we've exhausted every direction
            {
                pos = solution.pop(); // go one step back in the path
                step = stepStack.pop(); // and face the direction we were in when we were here last
            }

step = step.rotateCW(); // turn 90 degrees to the right and try going that way on the next loop
        }

solution.push(end); // we made it

return solution;
    };
here's an animation of what the solution looks like at each iteration of the loop (some of the branches are cut out to keep it under the 500 frame limit)

posting smiling

Putty posted:

this is too advanced for me...

Kthulhu5000

by R. Guyovich

deep dish peat moss posted:

All around the galaxy everyone knows: If you want good mazes, Mars is the place to get them.

think about them canals, and how they'd look from up high.

Mars is just one big ol' maze to begin with, holy mack!

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
the mazes need bonus fruit. i want to collect bonus fruit in a maze

• Locked thread