Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
My old PSU was getting long in the tooth- it's a holdover from a previous build, and my computer was starting to experience some rare unprovoked shutdowns, so I decided to swap it out. The new PSU is the same wattage and specs as the old one, and I hooked everything up correctly as best as I can tell. The PC boots; the OS is on a solid state drive which is powering on fine. I had my HDD connected to a splitter cable, because if I remember right, it needed one before (I don't remember if this was just because the SATA cable wasn't long enough for both or because it needed an L-shaped plug, but the latter doesn't seem to be the case- both types seem to fit fine). When I noticed the HDD wasn't booting I tried ditching the splitter and plugging it in directly. Still nothing. I pulled the PSU out, hooked another SATA power cable into the SATA 2 port, and plugged that directly into the HDD. Still nothing. I checked that the data cable was secure; it is. My front intake fan is also no longer powering on; this was also connected to the SATA power cable via a splitter.

I really have no idea what could have changed between switching from an old PSU to a new one with the same specs in the same configuration. I've tried everything I can think of. Everything else, GPU etc, is powering on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
What was your old power supply, and what power supply did you get?

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Alereon posted:

What was your old power supply, and what power supply did you get?

Old: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ALYOPSS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

New: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0106RDIN2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

On review, they aren't exactly the same specs, but increasing the total wattage shouldn't be causing an issue.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Just to confirm, you are using the modular cables that came with the new power supply, right? You can't just disconnect modular cables from the old power supply and plug them into the new one, you have to disconnect them from all your devices and run the new cables. Even if they fit the pinout isn't standardized so that has the potential to fry attached devices.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Alereon posted:

Just to confirm, you are using the modular cables that came with the new power supply, right? You can't just disconnect modular cables from the old power supply and plug them into the new one, you have to disconnect them from all your devices and run the new cables. Even if they fit the pinout isn't standardized so that has the potential to fry attached devices.

This is probably the issue! I will have to try swapping things out tomorrow, thank you.

Edit: Or, maybe, I've already fried my hard drive! Uh oh!

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Unless you already smelled smoke you probably haven't and it will hopefully just work when you swap in the correct cables.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Have now ensured all modular cables and tried every configuration of cable and socket possible. No go.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It'd be good to post your specs at this point.

Disconnect all non-essential peripherals and try using onboard video (if you have it). If that doesn't work try using only one stick of RAM.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Zogo posted:

It'd be good to post your specs at this point.

Disconnect all non-essential peripherals and try using onboard video (if you have it). If that doesn't work try using only one stick of RAM.

I tried doing this, and it didn't change matters. I've since also tried connecting the HDD to an AC-to-SATA power adapter, and it still didn't boot. I tried changing out the data cable and MB port. I'd be totally ready to call this a case of dead HDD, get a new HDD and move on, if it weren't for the fact that my front intake fan also isn't powering, which just vexes me.

I honestly don't even know what to be replacing at this point. This HDD pretty much seems fried, but when did it go? Do I need to return this new PSU, or was the old one bad? Or could it be a cable or splitter? Do I need to get a new fan, or is there a different issue?

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 10, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

I tried doing this, and it didn't change matters. I've since also tried connecting the HDD to an AC-to-SATA power adapter, and it still didn't boot. I tried changing out the data cable and MB port. I'd be totally ready to call this a case of dead HDD, get a new HDD and move on, if it weren't for the fact that my front intake fan also isn't powering, which just vexes me.

I honestly don't even know what to be replacing at this point. This HDD pretty much seems fried, but when did it go? Do I need to return this new PSU, or was the old one bad? Or could it be a cable or splitter? Do I need to get a new fan, or is there a different issue?

From everything you've posted it's possible that the old PSU killed the fan and HDD and using a new PSU isn't going to revive them (but it's just speculation at this point).

Using the adapter did the HD start spinning or is it not even moving? If it's moving I'd try to connect it to another computer if possible.

How old are the fan/HDD? If the computer POSTs and the fan is the only thing not work then the fan is probably dead.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Zogo posted:

From everything you've posted it's possible that the old PSU killed the fan and HDD and using a new PSU isn't going to revive them (but it's just speculation at this point).

Using the adapter did the HD start spinning or is it not even moving? If it's moving I'd try to connect it to another computer if possible.

How old are the fan/HDD? If the computer POSTs and the fan is the only thing not work then the fan is probably dead.

The HDD does not move when connected to AC power. The computer POSTs and is fully functional; my OS is stored on a functioning SSD. The thing that confuses me is, if the old PSU was bad- which is likely, as it was old and my PC was occasionally powering off, hence getting a new one- why didn't the HDD die before, rather than concurrently with switching over to a new one? That makes me think the new one may be bad.

The PSU and HDD are both rather old, the only holdover components from a previous build- both are around four years old.

Edit: I feel like a dummy for mentioning that it's probably pertinent to mention that my monitor died about a week before all this (with the old PSU)! So, bad power seems real likely.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 01:02 on May 11, 2017

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Anonymous Robot posted:

The HDD does not move when connected to AC power. The computer POSTs and is fully functional; my OS is stored on a functioning SSD. The thing that confuses me is, if the old PSU was bad- which is likely, as it was old and my PC was occasionally powering off, hence getting a new one- why didn't the HDD die before, rather than concurrently with switching over to a new one? That makes me think the new one may be bad.

The HDD is probably dead if it's not spinning while plugged in.

One possibility is that shutting off the computer triggered the failure during the upgrade. It's not uncommon for a component to fail during an upgrade process. There are many different power states and sometimes when an older component is shut off fully it won't turn back on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Configuration_and_Power_Interface

Sometimes a computer/PSU will be operating fine and then someone moves it to another room and it won't turn back on. The computer being in a fully mechanical off state is enough to kill it. If you want a crude analogy this is why doctors hesitate to do surgeries on elderly patients. Many older people put under sedation never wake up.

Or it could've been a coincidence.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

That's really interesting, thanks for the information. I suppose I'll grab a new HDD and maybe a liquid cooler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Well, I popped in a new SSD and it's working fine. Got myself a new intake fan as well, no luck there. I don't know what could be going wrong- it's a 3-pin molex connector that I hooked up the same way it's been hooked since building the machine. I tried switching to the other couplings as well.

• Locked thread