Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

Why are all your questions so bad?

I fixed that for you.

I think the problem comes to down to the way we are throwing the terms around. In my mind, "basic life support" and cost of living are synonymous. Perhaps you educated folk are referring to the theoretical cost-of-living index when you make your arguments? I should re-phrase then: what would this "basic life support" index look like if that is going to be the basis of UBI? Also, will it have an inflation metric or will there be some type of fixed increase?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Moose_Knuck posted:

I think the problem comes to down to the way we are throwing the terms around. In my mind, "basic life support" and cost of living are synonymous.

well they aren't. how are you this retarded

Coolguye posted:

already missing the point. the majority of UBI schemes implemented worldwide are not scheduled to do this, because 'cost of living' is a regional and local thing. UBI is supposed to keep pace with basic life support, not cost of living, which has different meanings based upon where you live, what your family situation is, etc.

GlyphGryph posted:

A UBI would not be cost of living based and for drat good reasons and I dont understand how people can not get that.

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008
Ok, now you just sound pretentious. How is basic life support not regionally specific? Are you talking about providing the actual goods to support life? If you are thinking about throwing money at the situation, I'm sorry, but your $800 might work in Alabama, but it's not going to work in New York City. Or perhaps there is a figure that will cover all possible locales, like say, $5,000/month? Well, where is the equality in that? I would own Birmingham with that sort of income. That is, ofcourse, if stores didn't magically start marking up goods to reflect my new source of income.

Maybe when we can all source our goods needed to support life from the same place there won't be any regional bias, but until you can get your organic produce shipped to your house from Amazon you still have to factor in regional price differences.

Moose_Knuck has issued a correction as of 22:02 on Jun 19, 2017

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief
a screed about pigs flying was written here

-fin

Lindsey O. Graham has issued a correction as of 23:41 on Jun 19, 2017

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

-fin

to hell with the friendly skies i told u i you can drive and dont nobody complain about u smokin in my ride bby :wink:

Moose_Knuck
Aug 1, 2008

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

-fin

I don't know if you were trying to trigger me or what, but I was actually advocating for a similar proposal--not so eloquently put--earlier.

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Moose_Knuck posted:

I don't know if you were trying to trigger me or what, but I was actually advocating for a similar proposal--not so eloquently put--earlier.

no

it's just my personal feelings about whether it could ever be passed in this government gave me a wave of disappointment :smith:
i was the one triggered :lol:

it's nice to know someone agreed with me, and thought i was eloquent though :3:

Lindsey O. Graham has issued a correction as of 22:48 on Jun 19, 2017

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

to hell with the friendly skies i told u i you can drive and dont nobody complain about u smokin in my ride bby :wink:

:kimchi: :420:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 244 days!

Moose_Knuck posted:

Funny, but please don't poo poo on the guy, especially because he's making interesting effort posts. How rare are effort posts?

they seem great at first but then you get in too deep and you hit the suck zone event horizon

at that point your posts are stretched out into an infinite string of point-by-point replies trapped forever in d&d

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

- The Chief

Hodgepodge posted:

they seem great at first but then you get in too deep and you hit the suck zone event horizon

at that point your posts are stretched out into an infinite string of point-by-point replies trapped forever in d&d

:same:

• Locked thread