Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

ID-0 is a new sci-fi anime that can be described as what would happen if you combined the spirit of Outlaw Star and Bodacious Space Pirates with the attention to detail and overall sensibilities of Planetes and Infinite Ryvius, plus cool giant robots called I-machines that are piloted by using mind transfer technology.

At the center of the story is the mineral known as orichalt, a valuable space resource that can be used to power warp engines and teleport all kinds of matter from one place to another. This is usually known as making a so-called Miguel Jump and it has both civilian and military applications.

Orichalt deposits are found in dangerous locations such as asteroids enveloped by different levels of Miguel Storms, which makes mining risky and explains why I-machines are commonly used to extract the rocks. Even if the robot breaks down in the process, your mind can "transfer out" back to your body. At least in theory, you'll survive and remember everything up to just a few moments before the I-machine was destroyed.

Unfortunately, some people can permanently lose their human body while their mind remains trapped inside an I-machine.

The heavy demand for orichalt puts a price on the necessary geological data and fuels rivalries between companies, law enforcement agencies or other entities as well as corruption and greed.

That's where our heroes, the crew of the Stulti ship, come in. This ragtag group of miners saves space geology student Maya Mikuru from an accident, which leads to their gradual involvement in an ongoing web of mysteries and conspiracies surrounding the nature of orichalt and perhaps even the secrets of their own pasts.

Official plot summary

quote:

“I-Machines” are a catch-all term for large robots to perform work in harsh environments. Academy student Maya Mikuri runs into an accident while handling some I-Machine work—only to be rescued, still in I-Machine form, by a ship from Escavate, an Orichalt excavation firm and de-facto band of pirates. There, she finds herself forced to work as part of their crew...and as she works with the crew—each with their own idiosyncrasies—Maya will learn what being “human” really means.

http://id-zero.com/

Characters

Maya Mikuri
VA: Minami Tsuda

Our female protagonist or, more accurately so far, point of view character. She studied space geology in order to make a living as an orphan. Maya has plenty of valuable technical knowledge but is still naive and inexperienced about the workings of the world. Although occasionally annoying when bothered and (quite understandably) mostly interested in finding ways to get back to her normal life, she does have a good moral compass.

Ido
VA: Kazuyuki Okitsu

Our male protagonist and all-around capable guy with a cool scarf. Having lost his original memories, Ido doesn't know what truly compels him to desperately search for orichalt. He respects Maya's skills and starts opening up to her yet that doesn't stop him from teasing the poor girl on occasion.

Grayman
VA: Rikiya Koyama

Captain of the Stulti's crew and a rather welcoming individual with a former military background. His daughter, Clair, is also on the ship.

Rick Ayer
VA: Masaya Matsukaze

Our resident goofball whose hobbies include asteroid racing and screaming a lot.

Karla
VA: Sayaka Ohara

A talented professional who handles the business side of the Stulti's mining operations.

Amanza
VA: Junko Minagawa

A military officer ordered to confiscate the newly recovered orichalt deposit on board the Stulti. She is used to following orders but doesn't entirely lack common sense.

Fa-loser
VA: Ari Ozawa

The Stulti's pet and relatively useful mascot. Side note: The VA probably got this role for playing the cat in Maria the Virgin Witch.

Mysterious Girl (a.k.a. Alice)
VA:Reina Ueda

A strange girl who emerges from an unusually large deposit of orichalt. She doesn't speak but seems to understand human emotions. Her creepy and/or carefree attitude hides links to the secrets of the mineral itself and more.

Masked Man
VA: Takehito Koyasu

Our likely antagonist. His motivations for gathering orichalt are unknown, but he has powerful connections and a history dating back to the introduction of mind transfer technology. Side note: He apparently loves diving.

Main Staff

quote:

Director
Goro Taniguchi
(Infinite Ryvius, Planetes, GUNxSWORD, Maria the Virgin Witch, Code Geass, s-CRY-ed)

Series Composition and Script
Yousuke Kuroda
(Infinite Ryvius, Mobile Suit Gundam 00, Gundam Build Fighters, My Hero Academia, s-CRY-ed, Jormungand)

Setting Research
Seiichi Shirato
(Maria the Virgin Witch, Joker Game, Jormungand, Mobile Suit Gundam AGE)

Music
Takayuki Hattori
(Martian Successor Nadesico, Gundam The Origin, Space Pirate Captain Harlock: Endless Odyssey)

Videos

Teaser
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWo09LNWiHI

PV1 (warning: highly misleading)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-pSJ_kjh8s

OP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzfVwKcDduA

PV2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThxlZiqX2M0

Streaming

Netflix will finally upload the whole series in multiple languages on October 6th, 2017.

Fan translations do exist, but please don't discuss the details here.

If you like the show, please consider supporting any official releases.

wielder fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Aug 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This show looks intensely cool and I'm down to watch it as soon as Netflix releases it from purgatory.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

I like how most of the space scenes are actually silent because of the whole "no sound is space" thing.

Also, Mysterious Girl has a name as of episode 5. She's called Alice.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
Right now only a placeholder page exists for Netflix territories outside of Japan.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Tamba posted:

I like how most of the space scenes are actually silent because of the whole "no sound is space" thing.

Also, Mysterious Girl has a name as of episode 5. She's called Alice.

It's a nice touch. The series does use some sound effects in certain scenes though, probably for the audience's sake.

Thanks, I've added her name to the opening post.

livingfruitvirus posted:

Right now only a placeholder page exists for Netflix territories outside of Japan.

This confirms Netflix has the rights. I can only hope they don't take too long after the broadcast to add the episodes.

wielder fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 8, 2017

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Mighty Space Miners reboot lookin p. tight so far

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

There sure are a lot more CG series that pass muster than there used to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Episode 5 had brief tension between the crew and Maya taking more initiative, which is good to see. They also established that Ido was a prisoner on an exile ship who happened to be freed under mysterious circumstances. The introduction of "living" ore wanting to capture the mysterious girl, Alice, made for some nice tension with the chase sequence. I wasn't expecting a mind transfer into a trio of boxes in order to save the day, but it was kind of cool.

Yet I'd say the real meat of the story is actually coming with the sixth episode now, which has a pretty big reveal about Ido being considered an "enemy of humanity" for unknown reasons. That's interesting. It was simultaneously sweet and creepy to see him so overly protective towards Alice, though I mean this in a good way. Also, that Sam Tailor guy did look suspiciously like the Masked Man. The character interactions are also getting pretty slick. Unsurprisingly, the cliffhanger makes me look forward to next week.

wielder fucked around with this message at 20:32 on May 15, 2017

• Locked thread