Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Hello! My name is Ashley, and I love the Banjo-Kazooie series, and Rareware as a developer. I'm here to take you on a walk through my favorite series of all time, the Banjo-Kazooie trilogy (or "Banjo-Triloogie" as I like to call it. The G is soft like in 'trilogy' not like 'loogie'.)

I'll be playing each game on the Xbox 360, and showing off the renewed Stop n Swop feature, which was originally a dummied out mechanic meant to carry data between Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, restored in the 360 versions. Joining me are my three closest friends, Amy, Alexa, and Demotick, as rotating co-commentators.

Currently Playing:

Banjo-Kazooie was released in 1998 on the Nintendo 64 by Rare. It's a 3D platformer starring both a bird and a bear. Released when I was five, it quickly became my favorite game. And nearly twenty years later, I still feel the same!

This version of the game is from the Xbox Live Arcade, because it's the best version I've ever played. It features cleaner graphics, smoother framerates, and the long rumored Stop n Swop. The improvements they made will make your eyeballs pop!

My name is Ashley, and I will be playing. Rotating guests Amy, Alexa, and Demotick will be surveying. Join us for good times galore. I hope you don't find these videos a bore!

Banjo-Kazooie Part 1: Spiral Mountain (Guest: Demotick)
Banjo-Kazooie Part 2: Mumbo's Mountain (Guest: Demotick)
Banjo-Kazooie Part 3: Treasure Trove Cove (Guest: Alexa)
Banjo-Kazooie Part 4: Clanker's Cavern (Guest: Amy)
Banjo-Kazooie Part 5: Bubblegloop Swamp (Guest: Amy)
Banjo-Kazooie Part 6: Freezeezy Peak (Guest: Demotick)
Banjo-Kazooie Part 7: Gobi's Valley (Guest: Amy)
Banjo-Kazooie Part 8: Mad Monster Mansion (Guest: Alexa)
Banjo-Kazooie Part 9: Rusty Bucket Bay (Guest: Demotick)

Hamsterlady fucked around with this message at 16:56 on May 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
reserved post

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
I think the rhyming was a nice touch, but some might say it was a bit much.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

I'm amazed that you are acknowledging Banjo three, especially after what they did to Grunty.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Phrosphor posted:

I'm amazed that you are acknowledging Banjo three, especially after what they did to Grunty.

I actually really love Nuts and Bolts. Once you get past the fact that it's a weird sequel, it's great.

Banjo-Kazooie Part 3: Treasure Trove Cove (Guest: Alexa)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo-Kazooie Part 4: Clanker's Cavern (Guest: Amy)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!
I'm really not a fan of Banjo Kazooie in the least, but this seems like an opportunity to see it with new eyes. Maybe I won't dislike it as much.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

You mentioned BK was better than Mario64 in Mumbo's Mountain, and I'd have to disagree. Mario's movement is more fluid and fast, and his game places greater emphasis on platforming challenges. BK is more like an amusement park, where entertainment is derived from its colorful characters and quirky attractions. I suppose its' a matter of preference, but I personally prefer game design over pure entertainment value. I do like the way the game teaches you to take transformations outside of the levels, and the enemies that appear in Grunty's Lair aren't threatening or anything, but it's a cute detail that adds to the world-building and makes the game feel more connected.

You also said you like the game's simple formula of "complete a challenge, get a Jiggy", but I'd be hard-pressed to call anything in the game particularly challenging. That tower atop Treasure Trove Cove is no Whomp's Fortress, for example, and many of the Jiggies are just sitting around waiting to be grabbed.

Even though this is your favorite game, I haven't heard you talk about why at all. You barely mention any of the design or things in general you find attractive about it. At least not yet.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
That was mostly a joke, but I personally don't like Mario 64 at all. I feel like it's aged really poorly and just isn't fun to play anymore. I mostly just don't like the controls or a lot of the power stars (an example I always like to point to is "Blast Away the Secret Wall" which feels like some "buy the strategy guide" bullshit)

The stages in Banjo-Kazooie feel a lot more cohesive than the ones in Mario 64. The levels in Mario 64 feel like collections of platforming challenges stuck onto each other, while in Banjo-Kazooie they feel like places that might actually exist. I just like the charm of Banjo-Kazooie and the personality of it over Mario 64. I also just like Mario better as a stage-based game rather than a more open thing like 64 and Sunshine.

But yeah, I'm not gonna actually say Banjo-Kazooie is objectively better than Mario 64, I just like it more. Mario 64 did a lot of extremely important things for video games as a medium and Banjo-Kazooie really didn't do anything important at all, I just think today Banjo is more fun to play than Mario.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

You also said you like the game's simple formula of "complete a challenge, get a Jiggy", but I'd be hard-pressed to call anything in the game particularly challenging. That tower atop Treasure Trove Cove is no Whomp's Fortress, for example, and many of the Jiggies are just sitting around waiting to be grabbed.

The Jiggies do get a little bit more complex as the game goes on, but really it's more Banjo-Tooie where the design really gets interesting. I feel like Tooie sometimes goes a bit overboard in complexity, but you might like its design a bit better; there aren't really any Jiggies just lying around in that game.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
"It has underwater swimming because it's a 3D platformer" is so true that it actually shook me. I grew up with Tooie and going backwards to Kazooie was hard, so I'm always interested in watching people play the original and show me what I missed out on. Did we all agree that the BK game on Gameboy Advance never happened?

I have to agree that despite all of the things Super Mario 64 (deservedly) gets credit for pioneering, I can't say it's aged exceptionally well. Some of the stars really are obnoxious as hell. Granted of course, there are some weak rear end Jiggies too.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I'm in the "Banjo Kazooie aged better than SM64" camp too. The one thing I absolutely hate about BK is the camera. Not that SM64's camera was very good either, but it generally stayed where you told it to go. Without getting into any sort of level spoilers, some of the Banjo Tooie levels were way too big/hard to navigate for my liking too. SM64 does have much more impressive speed strats but I don't think that's relevant to most people who would play it.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I never played either BK, BT, or Mario 64 since I grew up in a primarily Playstation house while the N64 was used for Pokémon, LoZ, and Smash Bros so my go-to platformers were the Spyro trilogy, CB 2 and 3, and Tomba 2 though I did get to play Kirby 64 in recent years thanks to the Dream Collection. That said, BK and BT seem a lot better than Mario 64 since not only did Mario 64 not age well but like LadyHamster I prefer it when levels look like actual locales rather than just platforming challenges hence why I actually prefer Sunshine over Mario 64 despite that fact that I never played that either.

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Hell yeah I am all over this poo poo. I was more of a Tooie fan so I'll be excitedly waiting for those videos while gobbling up this delicious Content™. I've noticed a pretty divisive split between those who think Tooie is too grandiose or not. Out of Kazooie and Tooie which would you say is the better game?

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

SloppyDoughnuts posted:

Hell yeah I am all over this poo poo. I was more of a Tooie fan so I'll be excitedly waiting for those videos while gobbling up this delicious Content™. I've noticed a pretty divisive split between those who think Tooie is too grandiose or not. Out of Kazooie and Tooie which would you say is the better game?

I think they're both fantastic games, but I personally prefer Kazooie. For the typical reason of "I feel like they went a bit overboard on stage size and the requirements for some of the Jiggies." It doesn't make me dislike the game like it does for a lot of people, I just prefer the simpler design of Kazooie over it.

Banjo-Kazooie Part 5: Bubblegloop Swamp (Guest: Amy)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I definitely would not call Banjo Kazooie's locations world, but they are more like worlds than Mario's, that's for sure. I'd prefer straight platforming challenges with minimal atmosphere (Mario 64) to tons of atmosphere and minimal challenge(BK), but it seems dishonest to say one concept is objectively better than the other. I still defend Mario 64's superior movement controls.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I definitely would not call Banjo Kazooie's locations world, but they are more like worlds than Mario's, that's for sure. I'd prefer straight platforming challenges with minimal atmosphere (Mario 64) to tons of atmosphere and minimal challenge(BK), but it seems dishonest to say one concept is objectively better than the other. I still defend Mario 64's superior movement controls.

if you gave me the choice, I'd easily take Banjo's movement over Mario's. Mario moves like a tank sometimes (especially while jumping), and while I don't like the flying in either game, it's easily 10x worse in Mario 64. as far as speed, there are few times when I'm not using the talon trot in Banjo, and that gets you going at a decent click, if still maybe not quite as fast as Mario, but then, this game isn't about platforming challenges, for the most part, so the speed is less important there.

the challenge ramps up in the second game for sure (though some of that is not necessarily from straight-up difficulty, but I don't want to get into it while we're still in the first game).

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo-Kazooie Part 6: Freezeezy Peak (Guest: Demotick)

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I gave my copy of Banjo-Kazooie to somebody that I stopped being friends with a couple years later. I regret it. I like it more than Mario 64 but they're both pretty close in quality. I never played Tooie, but it looks entertaining, and it dials down the collect-a-thon level quite a bit from DK64.

Hamsterlady posted:

I actually really love Nuts and Bolts. Once you get past the fact that it's a weird sequel, it's great.
Somebody else did a Nuts and Bolts LP and even though they were quite unfair due to their love for the first two games, it's not without its fair share of bullshit. Looking at you, LOG's Choice missions.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo-Kazooie Part 7: Gobi's Valley (Guest: Amy)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I didn't like the fact that the honeycomb piece was hidden in pounding Gobi a second time, because I had already gotten the notes from over there and he's usually one of the last jiggies I do since he's back by the beginning, so the first 2-3 times I played the game I never found it. not that it's really important since the last six honeycombs don't matter anyway

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

For anyone interested, all 3 BK games are for sale on xbox right now. I already had 1 and 2 so I don't know how much they are but Nuts and Bolts was only $4.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo-Kazooie Part 8: Mad Monster Mansion (Guest: Alexa)

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Banjo-Kazooie Part 9: Rusty Bucket Bay (Guest: Demotick)

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

I don't hate any of the levels in the first game, but Rusty Bucket Bay is probably my least favourite. it's just kind of annoying to get around and there's always one or two jiggies I forget about and can't remember how to get.

music is dope though

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I'm confused by including Rusty Bucket Bay and Clanker's Cavern. I feel like those aesthetics are really similar.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

I'm confused by including Rusty Bucket Bay and Clanker's Cavern. I feel like those aesthetics are really similar.

Clanker's Cavern is the true water level. you're never really supposed to be in the water that much in Rusty Bucket Bay, since it's polluted and drains your air just by being in it. it's a shipyard, whereas Clanker's Cavern is, well, a cavern. there's water in both of them, but RBB is a tad more industrial in some ways and has a greater emphasis on the ship stuff. the only ship in CC is Clanker and he's not actually much of a ship, especially on the inside, and you interact with him in different ways

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
They're very different gameplay-wise, but I do see the similarities between Clanker's Cavern and Rusty Bucket bay in that they're both grungy and filthy and there's a lot of rusty metal everywhere. I do feel they're more different from each other aesthetically than say, Cool Cool Mountain and Snowman's Land are though.

Not to keep bringing up Mario 64 and beating that horse, I just can't actually think of any other good examples off the top of my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

That image link sums up the level so perfectly as someone who 100%d the game multiple times on the n64

• Locked thread