Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

I have an acer laptop that came with windows 10 and have had some issues with that version of windows so I decided to try and install windows 7 instead. The laptop does not have a disk drive so I made a bootable USB with rufus. I used the bios MBR option (not UEFI) and formatted with NTFS mode. Upon changing my boot options in my Bios to legacy, I was able to get windows 7 to install. It completed the install process 100%. When it restarts to actually load up windows I see the windows 7 logo for a brief moment and then I get a BSOD. I get the same problem when trying to boot up in safe mode. I used a USB 2 port to install windows 7 (usb 3 would not detect the usb) and the installation itself had no issues. Are there motherboards that just can't support windows 7 anymore? This isn't the first laptop where I've tried and failed to install windows 7 when a newer version of windows was already installed. Oh and I did completely format the disk before installing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
What model laptop exactly?

What error does the blue screen give?

Did you change the drive controller mode when in the uefi/bios?
---
Officially, Kaby Lake (intel) and Ryzen (amd) processors don't support Windows 7. Unofficially, Kaby Lake systems ~should~ still work for Windows 7, not sure about Ryzen.

Actuarial Fables fucked around with this message at 06:43 on May 9, 2017

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Aspire vx 15. It's kaby Lake. After looking into it the only thing that makes sense to me is that the drivers just aren't supported for Windows 7. And I can't see the error it just flashes on the screen for half a sec and then reboots. I tried 3 different builds of Windows 7 and all of them had the exact same problem. Then I reinstalled windows 10 using the same USB boot method and it worked perfectly.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
You can't use any version of Windows prior to Windows 10 on Kaby Lake or Ryzen systems, this is an intentional choice by Microsoft. Even if you managed to get it to load you would be blocked from receiving updates.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

that makes sense, thanks for the help!

• Locked thread