Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jerusalem posted:

Sad that Scott Steiner won't make it to the final round.

I mean I elected not to vote in protest at the not actually RIGGED!!!! match up but still. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think Lawler got robbed but I also think that 80s Memphis was the peak of wrestling so I might be biased.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Paul Heyman is going to dump New Jack and Arn Anderson out of a "best promos" tournament and I am going to throw things. When was the last time Arn gave a promo that made you want to switch channels because that's what half of Paul's poo poo does to me lately.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

for all we know Martin "Arn Anderson" Lunde, a suspicious man who uses a fake name, hasn't spoken to anyone including his family for many years.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

C. Everett Koop posted:

Results from the first round:
#4 Nick Bockwinkel d. #5 Larry Sweeney 23-14. I doubt anyone here's ever heard a Bockwinkel promo :colbert:. Anyway, he's in trouble next round.

MassRafter showed a playlist of Bockwinkel's promos awhile ago so a lot of us who hang out have at least heard a few of them.
They're great specimens of the pre-modern wrestling era but don't hold up against modern talkers unless you're really into that kind of thing.

I do not know who Larry Sweeny is however.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alexa isnt on this crap? Close the thread. PRETTY SEXIST!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ChrisBTY posted:

I do not know who Larry Sweeny is however.

guy fieri but dead

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
If you don't think Bock's promos hold up anymore I'd like to know what you're comparing them to.

ThePariah
Feb 10, 2014
*Watches yet another 20-minute Seth Rollins promo*

The old-timers just can't compare to this.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Dusty Rhodes was really good but just can't compare with Billy Gunn saying "rear end" a lot.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Feels Villeneuve posted:

If you don't think Bock's promos hold up anymore I'd like to know what you're comparing them to.

The more energetic, comparatively visceral promos of the 90's and above. Bock is good at what he does, but what he does sounds like a guy giving a somewhat impassioned press conference on ESPN after a tough road loss.
That was his character, and he was good at it. But compared to guys like Dusty, Piper (WCW RUN NOTWITHSTANDING) and Flair, it feels like a relic of a bygone age.

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
ric flair stinks

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

ChrisBTY posted:

The more energetic, comparatively visceral promos of the 90's and above. Bock is good at what he does, but what he does sounds like a guy giving a somewhat impassioned press conference on ESPN after a tough road loss.
That was his character, and he was good at it. But compared to guys like Dusty, Piper (WCW RUN NOTWITHSTANDING) and Flair, it feels like a relic of a bygone age.

I was busy moving all day so I didn't have time to make a case for Bockwinkel that would be relevant to voting now.

But saying that Bockwinkel is a "relic of a bygone age" implies that he was somehow representative of how wrestlers delivered promos at a certain time...and that was never true. Bockwinkel was always sui generis, there never was another wrestler who interviewed quite like him.

It's very difficult to make a case for Bockwinkel vs. the man who is arguably the greatest wrestler of all time. But you can draw parallels between Ric's style and others during the coked-out 80s era, whereas Bockwinkel was always truly unique. And if we're holding wrestlers responsible for everything they did during the duration of their career, including things they didn't have complete control over (and when does that really happen?) Ric was unfortunately involved in plenty of embarrassing garbage like Bockwinkel never was. Nick carried the AWA on his shoulders like no one else could. And he kept up with Bobby loving Heenan without relying on him to do the work for him.

The interviews surrounding his "$500 per punch" match with Lawler are really the perfect illustration for me. Nick said that Lawler was a fearsome brawler, and that he was delivering the interview in the time he had before his jaw swelled shut...but insisted "the name on the marquee is wrestling." A heel promo that put over his opponent while nonetheless insisting that he was the better man, in a way that made perfect sense. That's something that very few people have ever really been able to do well. And Bockwinkel's style also played very well into being able to switch from heel to face and back again, always in a way that made sense, without suddenly becoming a different character overnight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WL3LJMQmKpA&t=183s

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 05:20 on May 28, 2017

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Haven't bumped this in a while, but we're at the final four now and you should go vote as this sucker slowly dies it's way to a conclusion! The Rock beat CM Punk on the very last vote that technically I shouldn't have counted since it came after the buzzer!

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Punk gets screwed again

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon
this is bullshit, tournament cancelled

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Cavauro posted:

guy fieri but dead

Mods???

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The Rock is a way better talker than Punk even though he has exactly one promo and it's about eating pussy to convince everyone that he's totally not into dudes.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

The Rock is a way better talker than Punk even though he has exactly one promo and it's about eating pussy to convince everyone that he's totally not into dudes.

He had a pretty good one about how Billy Gunn was a piece of poo poo once.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Rock's ability is more about charisma and longevity, not the content. Content-wise, Punk schools him.

Flair's gonna win anyway so I'm probably not voting any further. I'm bitter at the Jake Roberts loss. t:mad:

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Every one of you is dumb as hell!

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Jake roberts? bobby flay but dead. alive Though

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Missed some voting but at least it meant I didn't have to vote against Heyman.

But now I had to vote against Austin!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Voted against Austin because the progenitor of the greatest blight to ever infect wrestling promos can advance no further.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

ChrisBTY posted:

Voted against Austin because the progenitor of the greatest blight to ever infect wrestling promos can advance no further.

What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Paul Heyman did more harm than Austin did when it comes to obnoxious crowd reactions.

• Locked thread