Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I just upgraded to gigabit speeds but my router is inexplicably limiting my speeds pretty severely. I'd rather not have to buy a new one if I can avoid it, but I can't figure out what's going on.

Modem -> Router and Router -> PC are both hardwired with cat7.

The modem is an Arris SB8200 and my router is a TP-Link archer c5 AC1200 running DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/19/15) std. Both its WAN and LAN ports are gigabit and I've transferred files across my network at about 40-50 MB/s so I'm definitely not being limited to 100mbps locally.

My motherboard has a n Intel I219-V Gigabit LAN controller and I'm on win10 pro build 1607.

The first result is when I'm connected to the router and the 2nd result is when connected directly to the modem.

E: I'm seeing some people posting that dd-wrt doesn't work at high speeds due to some kind of limitation in the build. I guess it's missing some protocols that help or something along those lines. Can anyone confirm that's a likely case? Some other posters suggest that the router's CPU/memory may be an issue, but that seems odd to me.

Richard M Nixon fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
That router is definitely capable of gigabit speeds so I would assume the problem is DD-WRT. It was great on the old Broadcom-based routers but I don't see much point in trying to run it on modern hardware.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

I just liked DD-WRT because it looked cool and had the fun modding vibe.

After a super painful process of reverting back to stock firmware, my speeds did increase to about 500mbps but I'm still not getting anywhere close to my routerless speed.

Before I give in and buy a new router, can someone confirm that it's definitely possible for router hardware to limit bandwidth despite having gigabit wan and lan ports?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Yes, it's possible for a router to be too slow to route at wire speeds, but your router can do gigabit Internet without bottlenecking. You might be able to disable some settings you don't need to improve performance. Then again, that is a kind of low-end router for freakin' gigabit Internet.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

Alereon posted:

Yes, it's possible for a router to be too slow to route at wire speeds, but your router can do gigabit Internet without bottlenecking. You might be able to disable some settings you don't need to improve performance. Then again, that is a kind of low-end router for freakin' gigabit Internet.

Thanks for the link proving that it's technically possible. I'll gently caress around and see if disabling some unneeded features will help me see some better speeds. At the worst, I guess spending $100 on a slightly newer/better piece of hardware isn't the worst.

• Locked thread